Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Terry Shannon wants BusConnects to be scrapped in its entirety to keep his well heeled chums from being inconvenienced in anyway. This was his contribution when it was first launched last year. He's an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Unfortunately he is a reflection of a lot of his constituents, especially those in his age bracket. This will play well for him.

Oh I know he is. People who will never use the bus dictating how those bus services should be provided to those who do use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

Submissions on the latest round of consultation have started showing on the nta site now, https://consult.nationaltransport.ie/en/consultation/busconnects-cork-sustainable-transport-corridors-preferred-route-option-public-consultation-round-2

More of the same to be honest, no one wants anything to change anywhere, especially not anywhere in their own area.

It is depressing reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I used to do a big update on all of the changes in Cork City construction and infrastructure on the Cork Developments thread I made when there was so much promise for the city around 2016-2018 but I gave up because of an utterly inert central government, huge NIMBYism and local government support for NIMBYism around any public transport and developer land hoarding. It’s depressing as you say. Im much happier just not paying attention to anything anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Schorpio

So, so depressing. Trying to get any sort of improvement in Cork is a massive uphill battle. People love to complain about Cork, but when push comes to shove, nobody wants anything that might affect them in the slightest to change.

Lots of the submissions follow a fairly set template:

• I drive everywhere, and I think you'll be making traffic worse.
    • Also, you're removing some parking, and I don't want that because I sometimes park my car there.
    • People will drive faster and/or use rat runs through estates.
    • Antisocial behavior will happen because reasons.
    • I can't use public transport because [insert excuse here]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

You forgot "nobody cycles and also the lots of people who cycle are all too young and fit"

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

Crikey, just had a read of the Maryborough hill submissions, an absolute NIMBY whingefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭crayon80

And, I suddenly love trees, nature and my garden.

They could save a lot of typing by saying ",Don't do any of it, me me me me me".

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

I read the rest of the south side submissions. The Maryborough ones were by far the worst of the lot, the other areas were somewhat more balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Saw this on Twitter this morning. You could play NIMBY bingo with the list.

This shouldn't be on though. So many of the points listed are opinion (at best) and misguided/incorrect. No contact info for the group on the page either.

Also, if this is what they (whoever they are!) are putting in print, I can only imagine the scaremongering that goes on when they are speaking off-the-record on the doorsteps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Wierd how this nimby states with 100% confidence what the precise impacts on traffic and travel will be. The most advanced traffic modelling programmes in the world could not offer you this level of certainty.

Did he submit a methodology section? How were these conclusions derived and were the results presented to the NTA? perhaps they could better calibrate their models based on his calcs ?

Does Ballincolig have more nimbys per capita than other places? A bunch of them now giving out about a greenway, a local councillor on their side claiming it must be changed because it would disturb their peace. Wasn't it Ballincolig that had the save our right turn signs and the ridiculous staged anti cycle path video of a car stopping to let people cross a road?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

BC will be watered down to being as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike which sadly is the preferential Irish way. Cork is rotten from traffic and I frankly think it's the peoples fault, as any plans to fix problems are seen as a threat that has to be countered. Backward people. The sooner we have people of migrant background in positions of power the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It's definitely the people's fault. There's a cultural problem and it's going to take a long time to turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There was a cork beo ( i know not the height of journalistic prowess ) article a few weeks back that reported on an overturned car on summerhill south ,

,most of article was giving out about bus connects , pretty much Blamed bus connects for the crash , didn't mention that this is a proposed traffic change ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Nothing annoys me more than seeing public representatives call for "dialogue" and "consultation with residents" when plans are released for actual public consultation. They know full well how public consultation works, but telling NIMBYs to engage with the process isn't a vote winner I guess and you can't let a press release go to waste.

Another round of consultation in the works to further water down the proposals. And this is long before we get to any sort of planning process and the inevitable objections etc.

I'd say just cancel at this stage and save the money. The NTA does not take this project serioisly. Dublins proposed bus corridors have morphed into road widening schemes for additional traffic lanes and parking with each consultation. There are no several locations where bus connects is proposing to remove the independence and safety of disabled pedestrians with their road widening. Cork will be worse, it'll be a motorway by the time it goes to planning

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

Totally agree, just pull the plug until they are prepared to make some hard decisions and do it properly. Anything else at this point is throwing good money after bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Removal of parking for residents in the inner city is going to be a real bone of contention: these are not high-income neighbourhoods, and people living there won’t have bought a car unless they needed one. Those cars won’t just vanish just because the City Council has decided that people can’t park anywhere anymore.

Can they not just make a bloody decision, they've consulted enough and all that's happening is it gets watered down a bit more each time. Enough of going to the public!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Bus lanes dropped in favour of right turn lanes for private cars.. bus gates removed..

Why even bother. This is depressing stuff.

€200m Bus Connects getting watered down.

€280m bypass for Macroom opened today, will save 17 minutes for those travelling by private car.

It's clear to see where priorities lie - with the NIMBYs and private cars vs public transport and sustainable options.

We have no hope of meeting 2030 climate targets.

Same happened to South Dublin corridors, footpaths became turning lanes and the independence of the mobility impared was removed, DMURS, the national cycle manual and all international best practice was ignored.

Ballincollig Main Street is actually laughable. Street parking retained (despite there being literally thousands of off street car spaces within a few metres of the Main Street) in the latest plans now and the priority bus gates have disappeared.

It's literally the status quo with a couple of narrow bike lanes thrown in. There's a serious NIMBY element out in Ballincollig who seem to get whatever they want - see the recent scrapping of the cycleway out there. Ballincollig is destined to remain a car clogged hole.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Last time I checked buses and trucks were allowed to use the new N22 as well as private cars. It takes heavy traffic out of three towns and villages in a rural area, freeing them up for residents.

It's not in any way relevant to BusConnects in the city.

I saw online that there's a very vocal anti cycle lane councillor who owns some sort of car or tyre business. Clearly he's using his position in a very unethical manner. But they seem to be very anti cycling there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Cork City Council currently have a number of active conusltations on changes to bus stops/termini to accommodate BusConnects under Section 38 of the Road Traffic Act 1994;

Maybe they have learned a lesson and are looking to progress some basic works required to facilitate changes to the network under a separate process to the corridors which are going to drag on for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

These are changes to facilitate the new network which is due to start being implemented next year.

There have been similar changes made in Dublin to facilitate the different phases so far as needed.

Advertisement