Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Also had MASSIVE trouble with Blazing Bull; the bastard actually made me Alt+F4 2 times!

But I looked it up and I think I finally understand - Sekiro isn't Dark Souls.
    Circling and waiting for openings doesn't work.
    You have to PARRY & be aggressive to win.

So I parried his charges, stunned him and put the poor moomoo down.

Actually in that instance you can totally circle around him waiting for an opening. His turning circle isn't as tight as yours, so if you just run around behind him he can never get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I just ran behind him, never thought about parrying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Made it to Genichiro last night , kind of mad when I think how much the Shinobi Hunter and the Ogre absolutely wrecked my head never thought i'd get this far

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Made it to Genichiro last night , kind of mad when I think how much the Shinobi Hunter and the Ogre absolutely wrecked my head never thought i'd get this far
    I got to him the other night and now I'm just feckin around farming because I'm afraid to fight him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Don't fear Genichiro. It's too early for fear. That comes later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I used to be like that with bosses , but your much better off going in taking them on and figuring it out what to do to take them down you'll die but you'll learn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Genichiro is hard at first, but it's a really good fight too. Exactly what the game is all about. There are some bulls*hit bosses in it, but he's not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Got genichiro last night \o/

Spent about 2 hours on Genichiro last night. Probably too long as I was jaded and frustrated by the end.
    I'm seeing all the patterns and I just need to work on my consistency.

He's going down tonight!

Ha thats what I said after the first night I spent on him. The next night he went crazy spamming arrows, something I hadn't seen him do the first night. The third night I was aggressive but smart and I stopped trying to bait and counter his attacks and his posture flew down.

Agree with it being a good fair fight as others mentioned.

I haven't been back to the game in about a week left off at sunken valley I think. Started playing Borderlands. Unusual for me to do that and even more unusual for me with a From game. I'm over most of my initial complaints about the game but something about it hasn't grabbed me in the same way previous From titles have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Knocked out a few minibosses last night, including the headless ape which netted me a nice two prayer beads!

Just 2 or 3 more minibosses to get through and then its back to Kuro to see what new challenge lies in store in the main quest..

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Beat my second playthough last night. What a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

So after beating corrupted monk I went around all the water areas to sweep up pickups and carps and got to the back of Ashina castle...holy fcuk I didn't expect that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,952 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone sick of the no sense debate on game difficulty that this game has been labelled with?

I'm all for game accessibility options but sometimes lowering the difficulty really will change how a game plays. Plenty of developers getting on board as well. Lots of Devs from games that are more like movies getting on board about adding accessibility options which is fine when your game isn't more focused on actual gameplay and systems

Then youve got games like Celeste which I feel accessibility options suit. However I do feel some games can be negatively affected when difficulty is removed. Sekiro would be an awful boring game if you could just button mash your way through and would be no different than the older god of war games.

Seems most of the complaints aren't from people with disabilities but more from people with either not enough time or patience to invest in a tough game.

And while its great to open gaming up to a wide audience as possible I also think it's very unfair to dismiss any argument for the fact that some games need difficulty to preserve their identity as someone wanting to keep some games to an elite club. It also ignores a very important fundamental about game development and human psychology. If a player finds an easy way to overcome a challenge they will use it.

I think a bigger concern for disabled gamers is control interface but there's some fantastic work by companies making custom control interfaces for these people

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My own opinion on the difficulty debate has shifted a bit in the last while, helped by the conversations that have popped up about Sekiro (also because of the prevalence of moronic 'git gud' comments one sees online when people are genuinely struggling to get to grips with a game).

Once upon a time I'd have been firmly on the 'artistic integrity' bandwagon, but feel that's rather naive now. I still think a game's vision is important, even if that involves intense difficulty. But equally I'm keen to see more people experience what any given game has to offer.

As some developer pointed out: did the presence of a 'auto style' option in Bayonetta 2 undermine that game? Not in the slightest - didn't impact my playthrough whatsoever. Ditto with Nintendo's many difficulty shortcuts. And same with Celeste's difficulty options - never once whacked on one of the assist mode options. But it wouldn't bother me at all if someone did get to the end using any of these options: I'm glad they got to see more of what the game has to offer.

Sekiro has more to offer than just being monstrously hard. It has stunning art design, and a story that hides more depth than might be immediately apparent. It has rich, rewarding level design full of secrets and mysteries to uncover. Even the combat has more going for it than just persevering until you learn a boss's attack patterns - the joyous clank of a successful deflect or the satisfaction of a death blow is as much down to the visual and sound artistry than it is the player's perfect timing.

If there were options in a menu for players - whether those with a disability or simply others who've hit a brick wall and can't progress - to shift the rules a bit to experience more of all that, it's no biggie to me. I think Matt Thorson's (Celeste designer) suggestions here are perfectly fair. I mean, even taking into account the narrative 'justifications' the resurrection limits are fairly arbitrary - someone tweaking that to give them a better chance against some of the more nightmarish bosses would be no skin off my back.

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1113534763564826624

These rules don't need to be all up in your face: the game starts as a default, and for players who want to play as normal they may never even know the options are there. But they're there and available for anyone who wants to see more of what the game has to offer but can't make it through by the usual means.

I found Terry Cavanugh's thread on the subject particularly insightful: if a designer puts effort into allowing more people experience a game's particular thrills while sticking to their original vision for the game, then to me that's an unambiguously good thing.

https://twitter.com/terrycavanagh/status/1115222336389701634

And hey, difficulty is ultimately a subjective thing in many ways - some will be delighted to see Sekiro through to the end credits (raises hand) while others will feel like they aren't done until they've completed all endings with the demon bell rung and Kuro's charm handed back. So hey, each to their own within a game's own particular identity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I've given up on it myself. I was making decent progress (i was near the end of fountainhead) but i wasn't enjoying it. I get a max of an hour a night to play, and spending 3 or 4 nights in a row on the same boss was starting to stress me.

I took a break from bloodborne as well while playing it, and finished a few months later. I'll probably get back to sekiro eventually. I've beaten all other FS games at least twice (a lot more for dark souls 1), but i can't see myself loading Sekiro back up for a second playthrough after beating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

If people want to see what the game has to offer, there are other avenues than turning it into a button mashing yawn fest gameplay wise. Watch someone play it on twitch or youtube.

"Its not the same" ? Its the same as adding all of these easy mode features (cheat modes), the only difference is you're not randomly mashing buttons on a controller and pretending you "beat" the game.

I'd bet my bottom dollar, if they start adding this sh!t to from software games. They will never be as fun or the same again, and the games community will take a nose dive and most discussion will always deteriorate to "what difficulty settings did you use?" And then majority of people lying about it..

If it aint broke, dont fix it. If you can't get passed a boss? Fix that, without cheating of course, cause thats what those kind of settings added would be..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

nix wrote: »
    I'd bet my bottom dollar, if they start adding this sh!t to from software games. They will never be as fun or the same again, and the games community will take a nose dive and most discussion will always deteriorate to "what difficulty settings did you use?" And then majority of people lying about it..

Nonsense tbh. Lots of hard and very hard games have had difficulty / accessibility options and it hasn't diluted the conversation around them, or dimmed their reputation. The Souls game have options to make them more manageable for less capable players - e.g. online play* - and it hasn't hurt them one bit in the eyes of their fans.

And who said anything about button bashing? From Software are terribly talented folk - they sure as hell could come up with ways to widen the audience without fundamentally destroying the experience. I mean, someone having a moment of invincibility while healing during the Genichiro fight without having to worry about the arrow attack could be the difference between them giving up and prevailing. It wouldn't fundamentally change the player needing to get to grips with the mechanics - it'd just give them a few seconds more breathing space.

There's plenty of reasons why any given player might not be able to push through Sekiro. There's also plenty likely interested in aspects of the game outside the combat alone - the popularity of lore analyses of the From games is testament to that. I don't see any harm in allowing them options to customise the experience to get the most out of it, just like Celeste did so brilliantly and elegantly.

Oh, and let's play videos are nowhere near the same level as playing a game. Even if you are just on board for the exploration or story, having a controller in your hand and making the discoveries yourself is a fundamentally different and more rewarding experience than watching somebody else do it.

*I should stress that I absolutely feel From made the right decision in cutting online play here, as I think it allowed them to create more focused boss fights that are superior than most in the Soulsborne games. But equally I don't think a few alternative difficulty / accessibility options would have in any way damaged my experience with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Bu..but Sekiro is the easiest FromSoft game...

I play all my games on the hardest difficulty setting the game offers me as easier games tend to bore me, I want to be challenged.

Now let's put the shoe on the other foot. There are loads of games out there that are to easy for me so I don't play them or I I don't play them for very long. So when can I join in on the Twitter debate of games that are too easy that should have an ultra hard mode?

Let us have Sekiro with it's intended design. It's not often we get it. The casuals can play their Ghost of Tsushima later this year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

These days, because there are so many games out there I want to play, I can't dedicate time to 'git gud' on these games. But the lore of them wants me to play them. If there were easier options in these games, I would most likely buy them. But knowing how hard they are, and that they're die/repeat games, I won't touch them because I don't want to waste my money. I get it that people love the hardness of them, and I can appreciate the feeling of achievement when you manage to get past something you've been trying for ages, but that's not for everyone.

And yes, I also understand that a 'diluted' version of the game may not be what the devs were after, but wouldn't it be better to have a larger core base and more people enjoying it, than a fairly large section of the targeted audience not even trying because they're too hard?

Take Conan: Exiles for example. I'm playing through it now. It has a lot of faults, but there's enjoyment in there. However, I was getting sick of the slow progress (even for a survival game) so I turned the difficulty down and I'm enjoying it a lot more now, even looking past the performance/graphic issues. After finding out now that you can increase the drop loads from activities using the Admin options, so I'm going to do that. Why? Because I just know, right now, if it keeps going at its current pace, I'm going to stop playing because X game came out. I play SP Offline, so my choices literally affect no one else, and anyone can play the game on the hardest setting if they choose.

These games would be the same. Sekiro looks like Tenchu of yore, and I'd love to get into it, but without an easier option I just won't. Me playing Sekiro on the easiest setting, by myself, offline (if possible) would have 0 effect on everyone else in this thread who are playing it 'as intended'. I don't see why this is even an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Nonsense tbh. Lots of hard and very hard games have had difficulty / accessibility options and it hasn't diluted the conversation around them, or dimmed their reputation. The Souls game have options to make them more manageable for less capable players - e.g. online play* - and it hasn't hurt them one bit in the eyes of their fans.

If you play a game with multiple difficulties and you decide to play it on hard mode and say then you come here when you get stuck for help, the majority wont know why you're stuck, when you reveal the difficulty you're playing it, their advice will be to lower the difficulty.

You come here with the same issue on a hard game with one difficulty, like soulsborne/sekiro etc and you will have everybody sharing their tactics and giving helpful advice.

The co-op aspect of the soulsborne game was meh in terms of making it easier, the boss got a lot more hp, which didnt really matter on some bosses, but with some bosses it made the fights much much harder. And then if one of the players died? heh good luck!
    And who said anything about button bashing? From Software are terribly talented folk - they sure as hell could come up with ways to widen the audience without fundamentally destroying the experience. I mean, someone having a moment of invincibility while healing during the Genichiro fight without having to worry about the arrow attack could be the difference between them giving up and prevailing. It wouldn't fundamentally change the player needing to get to grips with the mechanics - it'd just give them a few seconds more breathing space.

If you bring in settings to help like the ones in the tweet you shared, the players will not need to learn how to use the fight mechanics, with infinite revives or slowing down the enemies speed, you just need to mash the attack (button mash) until the enemy has no hp left.
    There's plenty of reasons why any given player might not be able to push through Sekiro. There's also plenty likely interested in aspects of the game outside the combat alone - the popularity of lore analyses of the From games is testament to that. I don't see any harm in allowing them options to customise the experience to get the most out of it, just like Celeste did so brilliantly and elegantly.

What reasons are there? Besides lazy/disabled.

If people aren't arsed to "play" the game for the lore, they dont need to, plenty of lore analysis on youtube. Heck you would get more understanding of the lore through those vids, than looking for items, or replaying the game for quests you missed or dont know what order to trigger NPC events.
    Oh, and let's play videos are nowhere near the same level as playing a game. Even if you are just on board for the exploration or story, having a controller in your hand and making the discoveries yourself is a fundamentally different and more rewarding experience than watching somebody else do it.

And overcoming challenges on top of those is an even more rewarding experience, a lot of players don't get to know that as they quit first, which is their own fault, not the developers. And those that do stick it through, never come back at the end and wished it was any easier :)
    *I should stress that I absolutely feel From made the right decision in cutting online play here, as I think it allowed them to create more focused boss fights that are superior than most in the Soulsborne games. But equally I don't think a few alternative difficulty / accessibility options would have in any way damaged my experience with the game.

When you play a game with multiple difficulties, what do you pick yourself? Most go with "Normal", i do myself as playing on hard always just feels cheap, dying in one hit type **** as the game isnt "balanced" around this difficulty, they just ramp up the damage and enemy hp (now thats a slog). And easy is just a complete faceroll.

Gameplay wise, these games are nowhere near the level of Dark sekiroborne. And the reason for that is because it becomes near impossible to balance a game around multiple difficulties.

I can't discuss what way Celeste handled their difficulty curve, I've yet to play it, but i can imagine such a balancing feat on 2d jumping platformer is a lot easier than the likes of Sekiro.

You could just disable the achievements / trophies so theres no bragging rights to be had for finishing on an easier setting, maybe allow a fight to be skipped after X number of deaths so you avoid the brickwall scenario some face with the pace going out of the game as a result and allow those to keep moving and experience the rest of the game instead of giving up which I'm sure the devs don't want either.

I'd be like others here, I like the challenge and sense of accomplishment but someone else having the option for an easier time of it has zero impact on me or my enjoyment of a single player game.

I'm currently playing Dark Souls. Got to the last boss in Sekiro but only gave him a few tries. Think it's more the exploring I enjoy.

Still fantastic getting by a boss you've been stuck at.

Don't think they should change the difficulty.

I think it's a genre at the this stage. I play these game s but don't play lots of others as they aren't for me.

Let us have Sekiro with it's intended design. It's not often we get it. The casuals can play their Ghost of Tsushima later this year

Nobody is advocating for Sekiro's intended design to be changed. Most people I've seen arguing for assist / easier options are those who are big fans of the game, many of whom have finished it.

If Sekiro was otherwise exactly the same as it is now, except quietly sitting in a menu somewhere there were a few toggles to make certain aspects of the game less severe (hell, you could even implement like the Demon Bell, as an in-game task)... again that to me is how ideally something like is managed, as demonstrated by Celeste's superb implementation of such an idea. There's no 'easy', 'normal' or 'hard' mode prompt when you boot it up or press 'new game' - the game by default is the same, there's just some options for those who need it. Given Sekiro already has features for dramatically altering some options and tweaking the difficulty, it's surely easy to implement something similar in the opposite direction.

The 'casuals' comment is representative of one of the reasons my opinion on this has changed a bit. I want more people to be able to enjoy and appreciate the games I do - like Sekiro, which I absolutely adore. I'm not going to look down on them if they hit a difficulty wall or are seriously struggling - I want them to overcome that. If they can do it through practice or mastery, great! If they need a helping hand, I'd much rather that then them dropping out altogether.
    nix wrote: »
    I can't discuss what way Celeste handled their difficulty curve, I've yet to play it, but i can imagine such a balancing feat on 2d jumping platformer is a lot easier than the likes of Sekiro.

Celeste is one of the most precise, tightly-honed video games I've ever played - every challenge expertly tweaked to ensure you really need to know what you're doing. It's a super-hard game, and you keep unlocking tougher and tougher stuff - later and post-game levels are among the most demanding platforming the medium has seen. It's a masterful game, and one of the most satisfying to reach the end of - especially because its story so beautifully makes the challenge and overcoming adversity the central theme of the whole thing.

And yet the game has the most generous, flexible assist mode imaginable. You're allowed tweak it in ways that fundamentally alter the experience. Struggling to make a jump that has been perfectly designed to be handled with the maximum amount of dashes? Well, you can add an extra dash! That turns an immense challenge into something fairly trivial. Did knowing that option was available to a player make any difference to me, pushing through some immensely challenging platforming to make it to the peak? Not a jot. If anything I'm delighted more people will make it to the peak and get a feel for the masterly design on display throughout.

I mean, here's a quote from Thorson:
    I was originally against the idea, but I think it was Noel, Amora, and Gabby from the team who work shopped the idea and it started making sense late in development. We allocated a few days to implementing it in the last month, and I'm super glad we did. We've gotten a lot of messages from people who are thankful they were able to experience the game because of assist mode, and I think it's consistent with the message of the game.

To me that's the ultimate proof of why developers should consider (no demands here - just something for developers to keep in mind) these sort of options. People who otherwise wouldn't have experienced the game getting to do so because of some options subtly tucked away in a menu. I couldn't give a **** if they had an easier time of than I did by pushing through without any of the assists enabled. Very much recommend Mark Brown's video on the topic:

I'm well beyond the point of thinking games should be for the talented few, or those who persevere through countless 'you died' screens. I love From Software games - and if it takes a few extra options to get people on board with them, that gets an enthusiastic thumbs up from me.

WarpAsylum wrote:
    Spent about 2 hours on Genichiro last night. Probably too long as I was jaded and frustrated by the end. I'm seeing all the patterns and I just need to work on my consistency.

He's going down tonight!

So....that didn't go to plan at all.

I did get him into his 3rd phase on one occasion, so that's progress, but I was down to scraps of health.

What a fight though!!!

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    So....that didn't go to plan at all.

I did get him into his 3rd phase on one occasion, so that's progress, but I was down to scraps of health.

What a fight though!!!

Be aggressive in the third phase, right up in his face.

petes wrote: »

This , don't buy into the videos you may have watched of people baiting and countering him in the 3rd phase. Get right in there and do the same thing you did in the first two parts. His posture flies down in phase 3. Only thing I'd say is to dodge to the side and not straight back.

petes wrote: »
    This , don't buy into the videos you may have watched of people baiting and countering him in the 3rd phase. Get right in there and do the same thing you did in the first two parts. His posture flies down in phase 3. Only thing I'd say is to dodge to the side and not straight back.

Cheers guys, will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

And jump forwards and spam R1 any time you see his lightning flash. With luck, you'll either successfully counter or end up behind him and out of range of his lightning attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I finally finished the game last night and I will hold my hand up and say I really did struggle early on with the game, I have never had any issue with any other From game, but the first third of this was like hell and it took far longer to get through then it should of and I can see how newcomers could become daunted and frustrated by the challenge.

I do not think it is a difficultly issue though, these games are all about timing and something is off about this game in that regard, input lag seems to be quite erratic and the blocking button especially early on caused issues for me, I nearly had to compensate for a different amount of delay for different enemies.

Advertisement