Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the Best Burger in Dublin?

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Muahahaha wrote: »
    what was in that unit before it?
    Nico's Italian restaurant was there since the beginning of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

Is that bujo place worth a visit out to sandymount?

I cycled from Raheny last summer for one, so yes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Might offend some of you burger makers here but any opinion on the best burger I can pick up in a supermarket? Don't feel too confident in making my own. Dying for a nice burger with this lockdown in place...****ty chipper burgers just won't hit the spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is that bujo place worth a visit out to sandymount?

Definitely is, Id rank it up there with Bunsen and Wowburger. Its hard to split the three but Bujo is definitely a top notch burger
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Nico's Italian restaurant was there since the beginning of time.

ah right, never ate there so was easily forgotten. I had thought it was Montys of Kathmandu. Are Bunsen in that location long? Id say Bobos Burgers was none too pleased with them opening a couple of doors down, then you've Ricks across the road too. 3 burger shops all within a small stones throw of one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Might offend some of you burger makers here but any opinion on the best burger I can pick up in a supermarket? Don't feel too confident in making my own. Dying for a nice burger with this lockdown in place...****ty chipper burgers just won't hit the spot :)

Aldi have a new burger product called Rib Steak Burgers, they are pricey enough at 4.49 for two burgers but well worth it as they absolutely delicious.

They're huge chunky burgers wrapped in maple cured streaky bacon and then topped with your choice of either blue cheese or cheddar. Just make sure to follow the cooking instructions on the packet to the tee- they need frying first and then moved into an oven to finish them, iirc they are half pounder burgers so they take some time to cook proper. If you only fry them the bacon that they're wrapped in will burn before the burger is fully cooked. Give them a try, I was seriously impressed with them, like something you'd get in a good restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

raheny red wrote: »
    I cycled from Raheny last summer for one, so yes :-)

On my list so for whenever we are back to normal. Something to look forward to!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Aldi have a new burger product called Rib Steak Burgers, they are pricey enough at 4.49 for two burgers but well worth it as they absolutely delicious.

They're huge chunky burgers wrapped in maple cured streaky bacon and then topped with your choice of either blue cheese or cheddar. Just make sure to follow the cooking instructions on the packet to the tee- they need frying first and then moved into an oven to finish them, iirc they are half pounder burgers so they take some time to cook proper. If you only fry them the bacon that they're wrapped in will burn before the burger is fully cooked. Give them a try, I was seriously impressed with them, like something you'd get in a good restaurant.

I'll look into picking them up this weekend. Sounds like they will do the jobðŸ˜ðŸ˜thanks for the advice :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Buy normal mince*. Shape it into a burger shape. Salt it heavily and either bbq it or fry it at a high heat. Pepper once cooked. Simple. Burgers shouldn't have anything in them, they should be near seasoned well on the outside.

*never lean mince. Ever.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Buy normal mince*. Shape it into a burger shape. Salt it heavily and either bbq it or fry it at a high heat. Pepper once cooked. Simple. Burgers shouldn't have anything in them, they should be near seasoned well on the outside.

*never lean mince. Ever.

I was put off making my own as people on this thread were discussing mincers and other devices. Sounds some enough now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Speaking of supermarkets, has anyone ever tried a microwaveable ‘Rustler’ burger (and lived to tell the tale)? Even as an experiment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Speaking of supermarkets, has anyone ever tried a microwaveable ‘Rustler’ burger (and lived to tell the tale)? Even as an experiment?

I’ve had them a couple of times over the years, not quite as bad as you’d expect but still in the ball park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I was put off making my own as people on this thread were discussing mincers and other devices. Sounds some enough now though.

Beyond the basics set out by Brian there is no RIGHT way, so just experiment with what you like.

I'd disagree with him about adding stuff to the meat, but it's purely personal preference, and his way will get you something more like the burgers you'd buy.

One thing I learned to do is make them the day before, freeze overnight and let thaw on the day of cooking. I found this makes them stick together much better during cooking, which is helpful for frying and essential for BBQ grilling.

The only extra equipment I have for burgers is burger press, purchased in Aldi or Lidl for about €3. It gives a better structure to the burger.

they/them/theirs

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Beyond the basics set out by Brian there is no RIGHT way, so just experiment with what you like.

I'd disagree with him about adding stuff to the meat, but it's purely personal preference, and his way will get you something more like the burgers you'd buy.

Actually shop both burgers usually have a filler like breadcrumbs or rusk in them. Which is why I wouldn’t buy them. A burger should be meat and meat only IMO.

If you look at how great chefs make burgers it’s simply meat seasoned on the outside. The variables are the cut of beef used or the bread of cattle the meat comes from.

One thing I learned to do is make them the day before, freeze overnight and let thaw on the day of cooking. I found this makes them stick together much better during cooking, which is helpful for frying and essential for BBQ grilling.

I think a burger press will do as good a job at sticking them together.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

After you shape the burger pop it in the fridge for about a half an hour so it will hold its shape better when cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Actually shop both burgers usually have a filler like breadcrumbs or rusk in them.

Didn't know that.
    My personal preference is to add very finely chopped onion and garlic and herbs with Worcestershire Sauce, honey and mustard which creates a very moist, flavourful filling when BBQ'd. I'll try with just meat next time.

I think a burger press will do as good a job at sticking them together.

I'll keep an eye out for one in Aldi/Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Buy normal mince*.
    *never lean mince. Ever.
    I have watched loads of videos of various burger joints, jo'burger were the only ones I saw who used lean mince. Most others use 18-22% fat mince, some even higher. I don't think I saw any places adding filler crap to them, just salt & pepper and maybe garlic powder/granules (which I now do). Some videos call this SPG, salt pepper garlic. Some others might have some secret spice mix sprinkled, but still no filler stuff.

This 18% is usually only got in supermarkets in large packs of "value mince".

I just use tesco cheapo 18% mince.

I think the cooking method makes far more difference to how your burger will turn out. I do smash burgers and have not tried expensive premade burgers but do feel expensive meat might even be just "lost" in the process, as it's so heavily seared. If you were doing rare burgers I expect it would make a big difference though.

I would rather put the price difference into other things, like the bun or sauces. I'm surprised there is no fancier burger cheese, the easi single mature slices do not taste much different.

Aldi brioche or tesco finest potato rolls are a big step up from a bog standard burger bun.

Before trying expensive mince I would make sure you have spent the money on proper cookware, a cast iron pan. I actually use a carbon steel wok now. It must not have a coating, and a good device for pressing the burgers, and a scraper to get them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

A lot of butchers do their own burgers, I'd say they'd be nicer than most you'd get in a supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The last burgers I had was a month ago, M&S burgers (the expensive 2 pack of thick burgers), brioche buns, cheddar cheese, ketchup and burger mayo, served with home made wedges. Very nice.

rubadub wrote: »
    I have watched loads of videos of various burger joints, jo'burger were the only ones I saw who used lean mince. Most others use 18-22% fat mince, some even higher. I don't think I saw any places adding filler crap to them, just salt & pepper and maybe garlic powder/granules (which I now do). Some videos call this SPG, salt pepper garlic. Some others might have some secret spice mix sprinkled, but still no filler stuff.

This 18% is usually only got in supermarkets in large packs of "value mince".

I just use tesco cheapo 18% mince.

I think the cooking method makes far more difference to how your burger will turn out. I do smash burgers and have not tried expensive premade burgers but do feel expensive meat might even be just "lost" in the process, as it's so heavily seared. I would rather put the price difference into other things, like the bun or sauces. I'm surprised there is no fancier burger cheese, the easi single mature slices do not taste much different.

I am not a fan of smash burgers, so I don't really know. I prefer a nice thick burger cooked at a really high heat on a BBQ to medium rare. Nice mature cheddar, lettuce, grilled onion and mustard. I'm a very simple man when it comes to burgers. Except for the mustard I suppose, I have Dijon mustard I bought in a mustard shop in Dijon on the go right now :).

Aldi brioche or tesco finest potato rolls are a big step up from a bog standard burger bun.

Before trying expensive mince I would make sure you have spent the money on proper cookware, a cast iron pan. I actually use a carbon steel wok now. It must not have a coating, and a good device for pressing the burgers, and a scraper to get them up.

Aldi brioche buns are my number 1 for burgers and pulled pork. No. 1 by quite some distance, they hold up really well to pulled pork and add a lovely background sweetness.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They are pretty poor but can be improved upon. I would toast the bun and if you were to just microwave it do the meat first and then the bun for a minimal time. The rustlers rib burger is the best bit, with some lettuce and extra sauce it is fairly good.
    A lot of butchers do their own burgers, I'd say they'd be nicer than most you'd get in a supermarket.
    Many of these will have additives, some people have it in their head that burgers should always have binders and additives, and would actually frown up upon the thought of full meat burgers with only salt & pepper. Its like some might think doing pure meat is a cop out, taking the easy way out and want to put effort in.

James whelan have 3 styles.
    https://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/search.php?pg=1&stext=burger

all contain wheat but they do not declare %, could even be just playing it safe and that they are made in the environment with them

JAMIES BURGERS WHEAT SULPHITES SOYA
    STEAK BURGERS WHEAT, RYE
    PREMIUM BURGERS WHEAT SULPHITES SOYA

Our Premium Steak burgers are made from 100% Irish beef blended together with a mix of herbs and spices.
    watch out for that marketing phrase, the burger could be 70% meat, and of that meat it is 100% Irish. but 30% filler.
    Aldi brioche buns are my number 1 for burgers and pulled pork.
    They are also very long life, which is good these days. Tesco sell some expensive branded ones which are long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Twee. wrote: »
    I must try the smash method, one I have yet to try! I'll check out some videos, thanks for the tip! My homemade burgers are more GBK/Joburger style I suppose, time to evolve.

I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago and I'd recommend it (you need high fat beef though ~20% or so). Much quicker to prep, and a better end result.

Smash burgers for me from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If anyone wants to cook something half decent and very simple and quick at home, try this. Watch the video in the link. Need a cast iron pan for it to work well.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/ultra-smashed-cheeseburger-recipe-food-lab.html

Advertisement