Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The narrative seems to be these decisions are made to keep Leinster happy.

Was it 2010 Leinster had to play Toulouse in Toulouse ?

We know the deal at the start of every season. It's amazing how it only becomes an issue when it's Leinster playing in Aviva after the QF weekend 8-9 months later.

If Saracens were playing at Wembley or Twickenham none if them would be whinging despite Sarries using both for home games previously.

Realistically, if EPCR decided that you couldn't use a stadium you had already used that year.

Where the hell would this match be played? Thomond?

That would be utterly bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Bitching on Twitter, mostly from Wales, because Leinster play Toulouse in Dublin. Like Leinster must have had a say in how today's game went to make this happen

Welsh fans still bitter over the hammering last year

Anyway, in reality ireland teams over the years seem to draw the short straw the majority of times....a lot of semis in France over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I suppose the question is, when was the last time a Welsh team had to play an (unjust) semi final in an away grounds. Or an unjust semi on a home ground. Or any grounds for that matter.

Actually, let's call it for quarter finals. When was the last time a Welsh team felt hard done by in a quarter at home. Or away. Or was even in a quarter.

(Answer: other than the scarlets which was totally legit and fair, last year, but still lost)

Who gives a **** what the Welsh say about the Heineken Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Welsh fans still bitter over the hammering last year

Anyway, in reality ireland teams over the years seem to draw the short straw the majority of times....a lot of semis in France over the years
    Munster in 14 semis. 10 away. 2 v Leinster and then 2 others at home. 8 in France.

Welsh are always bitter about something...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The Welsh get to play World Cup games in the millennium no matter where the tournament is on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I suppose the question is, when was the last time a Welsh team had to play an (unjust) semi final in an away grounds. Or an unjust semi on a home ground. Or any grounds for that matter.

Actually, let's call it for quarter finals. When was the last time a Welsh team felt hard done by in a quarter at home. Or away. Or was even in a quarter.

(Answer: other than the scarlets which was totally legit and fair, last year, but still lost)

Who gives a **** what the Welsh say about the Heineken Cup.

Cardiff Blues played Tigers in the Millenium 10 years ago

Cardiff Blues played Lyon in Challenge Cup last season in the Arms Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Saracens would be playing at home if their stadium was big enough. And then we'd be hearing no complaints.

Ireland don't have many big stadiums that are under IRFU control. RDS, Kingspan and Thomond are too small. No hope getting into a GAA ground.

Scottish and Welsh would have the same problem.

It's just another complaint from the increasingly annoying Premiership team supporters who believe their league and teams are front and center of club rugby and Welsh fans who will literally complain about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Saracens would be playing at home if their stadium was big enough. And then we'd be hearing no complaints.

Ireland don't have many big stadiums that are under IRFU control. RDS, Kingspan and Thomond are too small. No hope getting into a GAA ground.

Scottish and Welsh would have the same problem.

It's just another complaint from the increasingly annoying Premiership team supporters who believe their league and teams are front and center of club rugby and Welsh fans who will literally complain about anything.

It's no bad thing given the nature of the Saracen's home pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

One format gripe I would have time for this weekend is Racing fans complaining about Toulouse. I think it is highly likely that Toulouse intentionally avoid a TBP in their final game so they can go to Racing not Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Was surprised at Zebo's physique during the Racing game (a nice way of saying he is enjoying his croissants) - i assume that performance will put to bed any notion of him ever playing for ireland again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

errlloyd wrote: »
    One format gripe I would have time for this weekend is Racing fans complaining about Toulouse. I think it is highly likely that Toulouse intentionally avoid a TBP in their final game so they can go to Racing not Leinster.

I'm absolutely certain they did. They were 17-3 up against Bath after 30 minutes and absolutely cruising. Went for the posts with penalties in the second half. They had no desire to score 4 tries.

It was a smart decision. I felt Toulouse had a great chance of winning in Paris. An away game in France was always going to be better for them than coming to Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Leinster are admittedly fortunate that the rules changed this year. I've been consistent on the message that I think the semi final situation is the only problem with this competition in general.

With specific reference to Leinster, I think we are obviously more comfortable in the Aviva than Sarries will be in the Ricoh, but we are also definitely more comfortable in the RDS than in the Aviva. So I think the fact we give away teams a better chance in the quarter somewhat compensates. If we'd played Ulster in the RDS they'd have had 1,500 fans not 15,000

I kinda see your point, but I guess this is tempered somewhat by the fact that the opposition in the QF is going to be poorer than in the SF. Equally, Leinster could play the QF in the RDS if they wish, I think? Still their call for the QF (I think) but don't for obvious reasons.

Ultimately I think too much is being made of it anyways, due to the lack of alternatives / practicalities of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

So when do tickets for the semis go on general sale?

clsmooth wrote: »
    So when do tickets for the semis go on general sale?

Last year they went on general sale eight days before the game.

Season ticket holders usually get 3/4 days priority presale before that.

Everyone knows Toulouse went out of their way to avoid a quarter final in Dublin, including the Leinster team.

I expect it to be a talking point in the build up.

The world's most pointless try of the round poll is up. If you fancy seeing four tries that weren't the best try of the round, they are played before Medard scores at the end.

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/fanzone/try-of-the-round?fbclid=IwAR1uDO2TBS8OlK4C_pkq30b7pcN7vtNH-8SDHPnk3Gje32sh6F9mcukpFnw

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Earls' try would probably win it on any other week!

Earls' try would probably win it on any other week!

Really, Ali Price's was also deeecent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

That pass from N'tamack was sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Last year they went on general sale eight days before the game.

Season ticket holders usually get 3/4 days priority presale before that.

Should be a decent number going on general sale, yes?

• Advertisement

Should be a decent number going on general sale, yes?

Well they made public sale last time and I believe didn't sell out.

It'll sell very well in the presale but will certainly be a good whack of seats available in the general sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Lottery open now for MRSC members for Coventry. General sale next Tuesday from the Stadium.
    https://www.ricoharena.com/whats-on/saracens-v-munster/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Sarries members can buy up to 8 tickets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Riskymove wrote: »

Would imagine the allocation is still 50% though?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That's cause there aren't that many of them. They probably still won't sell their allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So that’s about 2000 tickets then :pac:

Same for Leinster STH in the Aviva.

Same for Leinster STH in the Aviva.

Yeah but the stadium is close to twice the size. To be fair, I'd say an MRSC lottery for tickets is a bit of false demand situation (wasn't it last year?). The Leinster Strategy is sell a **** load in pre-sale so that regular buyers think the demand was very high. I'd also say ST holders get a decent kick out of their mates asking them for tickets and it's the kinda thing that helps in ST renewal season!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

To be fair, I'd say an MRSC lottery for tickets is a bit of false demand situation (wasn't it last year?).

There are more members than the allocation so they have to start with a lottery. They also prefer to be able to offer at least 2 per member, especially to travel away

based on initial demand and returns they will open it up I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like there will be a public sale of any remaining tickets next Tuesday so say most people who want tickets should get them

https://www.epcrugby.com/2019/04/03/saracens-v-munster-rugby-ticketing-information/

Advertisement