Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Showers/Thunderstorms - Friday June 8th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

It looks like most of the strikes are around the Mountmellick/Portarlington area, we had torrential rain for the last 30 minutes but no lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Rikand wrote: »
    90 minutes of near constant thunder and lightning here in west Athlone. Most of the lightning was sheet but saw 2 very clear cloud to ground strikes just to my south. Reckon they touches down not far from drum community centre or summer hill school. The boom that came from both strikes was enormous. Just grabbed a patio chair from out the back and sat in the front porch until the wife and kids came home.

Was lovely!

Thunder gone now and just buckets of rain coming down. Everything flooded!

Best storm I have seen around here for many a year

M6 between Jct 14 Ballinasloe & 13 Athlone cars aqua planing off motorway huge amounts of surface water

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

cyclops999 wrote: »
    M6 between Jct 14 Ballinasloe & 13 Athlone cars aqua planing off motorway huge amounts of surface water

Probably idiots driving too fast and not respecting the weather conditions or more careful drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It was some rain in tuam earlier. Just about made it from the car to work before it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Screenshot of a flash earlier this evening.
    Plenty of thunder heard in the distance today but seen very little lightning.
    At least we escaped the worst of the downpours here.

452894.png
    452895.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ballyragget 6mm
    Durrow 7mm
    Johnstown (Kilkenny) 23mm

Some difference over ~10 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Danno wrote: »
    Ballyragget 6mm
    Durrow 7mm
    Johnstown (Kilkenny) 23mm

Some difference over ~10 miles.

and it keeps dying out here just before it reaches me here in north east Kilkenny.

Only got 0.4mm earier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

View this evening looks like no action for dublin...

https://imgur.com/a/1vnlt5b

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

jimmynokia wrote: »
    View this evening looks like no action for dublin...

https://imgur.com/a/1vnlt5b

It is over!

Just taken now really nice https://imgur.com/a/GmnHkq8

Grandeeod wrote: »
    It is over!

Yip and tomorrow dont look better although If things really kick off I might travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Does anyone have a link to the Iceland lightning maps? Ta in advance.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Link to 24 hour option: http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

Link to 7 day option: http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/index.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Presume you mean this one?

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

Just taken now really nice https://imgur.com/a/GmnHkq8

Stratocumulus stratiformis :)

New Moon

Cheers Sqautter & Rougies. They are the ones. Amazing to see just how much of the country is covered with recorded sferics today, especially given the benign looking synoptics at the moment.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Cheers Sqautter & Rougies. They are the ones. Amazing to see just how much of the country is covered with recorded sferics today, especially given the benign looking synoptics at the moment.

It was a great day for a lot of the country alright, I'm glad lots of you got some action. I'm dying for a decent thunderstorm here, it has been years since we got anything noteworthy other than a few rumbles here and there.

I have vague memories of the big one in 1985, I was only 6 years old but it stuck with me and I think I've been chasing that memory ever since. The early snow memories of the 80s have been re-lived multiple times in recent years which just goes to show how rare a good thunderstorm is, around these parts anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Mt Dillon station in Co. Roscommon got 30.8mm of rain from today's thunderstorm. Stayed dry this evening in my location south of Limerick city. There was evidence that there was heavy rain in town. Heard a good bit of thunder and saw a couple of lightening flashes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Record of today's detected lightning.

GPqarS4.gif

Rougies wrote: »
    It was a great day for a lot of the country alright, I'm glad lots of you got some action. I'm dying for a decent thunderstorm here, it has been years since we got anything noteworthy other than a few rumbles here and there.

I have vague memories of the big one in 1985, I was only 6 years old but it stuck with me and I think I've been chasing that memory ever since. The early snow memories of the 80s have been re-lived multiple times in recent years which just goes to show how rare a good thunderstorm is, around these parts anyway!

Indeed. Ireland as a whole is desperate for storms. Even to get a few rumbles is a gargantuan struggle, even when the forecast risk is high. When you compare this to Europe, it becomes even more depressing. Some of the storms there last week were the size of Ireland!

Anyways, satellite animation for today showing the growth of those showers today. Unfortunately, the images stopped updating after 9.15pm.

https://imgur.com/a/JLg4kBd

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Croatia and surrounds are getting a right pasting at the moment.

I’ve never seen such concentrated strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Mt Dillon station in Co. Roscommon got 30.8mm of rain from today's thunderstorm. Stayed dry this evening in my location south of Limerick city. There was evidence that there was heavy rain in town. Heard a good bit of thunder and saw a couple of lightening flashes.

Yes we got heavy rain. It dried up quite quickly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

It kind of hilarious how my location avoided them given the mass of activity on all sides

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Indeed. Ireland as a whole is desperate for storms. Even to get a few rumbles is a gargantuan struggle, even when the forecast risk is high. When you compare this to Europe, it becomes even more depressing. Some of the storms there last week were the size of Ireland!

Same here, I haven't heard a single rumble of thunder since the 26th of May last year. Oddly enough it on was my very first day back in the country having spent the previous year in the tropics with near daily thunderstorms so I didn't even take notice of it! I'd kill for even a brief pulse storm at this stage :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

AND NO PICS....GTFO

Battery on my phone died.

I used the last 1% I had to record 1 minute of video and it was the only minute without a single flash I reckon. Just my luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

There wasn't a single clap of thunder in south east yesterday. I spent the day in Waterford, Tipp, Carlow, Kilkenny and Wexford. Toured every county and not even a drop of rain. 
    Bit of a shock to see how bad the west got it on that map.

Advertisement