Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Showers/Thunderstorms - Friday June 8th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

sumtings wrote: »
    West limerick city, saw a flash and have heard a couple of rumbles but no rain yet

Rained at the university.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Tomorrow and the following few days looks better for eastern regions.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

might head out looking for somewhere it might head like west of kilkenny

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A few rumbles here near Tralee, sky darker and temperature has dropped from 24.3c to 20.6C, some nice big convection inland.

vzlxAQG.png

ZEchgIG.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Didn't check any forecasts, knew nothing about storms. Left UL at about 5.15 and there was light rain. Then on my cycle home the skies opened and it was some seriously heavy rain. Thunder cracking behind me.

Drains were swamped and the road had maybe an inch of water in places. As I was cycling the water off my own front wheel absolutely soaked both my shoes. Apart from the seat of my shorts, every other bit of me was as wet as possible.

There was something enjoyable about it in a way, once you're so wet you can't get any wetter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Still dry south of Limerick city. Being under threat from the nearby thunderstorm for the past hour. It seems that the threat has receded but not totally gone. I have a new 4K camcorder rolling but I don't think I'll be capturing anything interesting. Seems that the west county Limerick is under attack. The Met Eireann station at mt Dillon in Co. Roscommon has reported over 25mm rain at 1700.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A few rumbles from that one I pictured earlier

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

2 claps of Thunder in laois now, 1 min apart

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sat Pic at 15.35 . Some nice big cells.

Dundee SRS

QxWoMzT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

2 claps of Thunder in laois now, 1 min apart

What part of Laois may I ask?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

osarusan wrote: »
    Didn't check any forecasts, knew nothing about storms. Left UL at about 5.15 and there was light rain. Then on my cycle home the skies opened and it was some seriously heavy rain. Thunder cracking behind me.

Drains were swamped and the road had maybe an inch of water in places. As I was cycling the water off my own front wheel absolutely soaked both my shoes. Apart from the seat of my shorts, every other bit of me was as wet as possible.

There was something enjoyable about it in a way, once you're so wet you can't get any wetter.

I'm still on campus. Waiting for the right moment to cycle home.

Was like a drowned rat cycling home last Friday down the riverbank. At least the coast was clear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Dry, and lovely clear sky in Dublin. 22.6C here after an earlier high of 23.7C.

Record of detected sferics so far today

Netweather

qdUWQkU.png

pV3bYSX.png

egkFQni.png

dexter647 wrote: »
    What part of Laois may I ask?

5 miles north of portlaoise

Some very heavy rain happening now, slowly moving E, SE

YXwvUj7.gif

jVDni2y.png

Most recent white +

Fg3UQ02.jpg

V.heavy rain towards portarlington now, like a grey wall on the landscape

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

90 minutes of near constant thunder and lightning here in west Athlone. Most of the lightning was sheet but saw 2 very clear cloud to ground strikes just to my south. Reckon they touches down not far from drum community centre or summer hill school. The boom that came from both strikes was enormous. Just grabbed a patio chair from out the back and sat in the front porch until the wife and kids came home.

Was lovely!

Thunder gone now and just buckets of rain coming down. Everything flooded!

Best storm I have seen around here for many a year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

I drove through some epic rain earlier , Longford and Termonbarry, lots of lightning too..one fork just on the west side of longford

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Where the extent of showers fell today so far:

2AFsMY2.gif

New Moon

• Advertisement

Major thunder over laois last 10 mins, 20-30 secs apart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Rikand wrote: »
    90 minutes of near constant thunder and lightning here in west Athlone. Most of the lightning was sheet but saw 2 very clear cloud to ground strikes just to my south. Reckon they touches down not far from drum community centre or summer hill school. The boom that came from both strikes was enormous. Just grabbed a patio chair from out the back and sat in the front porch until the wife and kids came home.

Was lovely!

Thunder gone now and just buckets of rain coming down. Everything flooded!

Best storm I have seen around here for many a year

AND NO PICS....GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Very heavy rain here now and thunder getting closer:D....South west Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yep, me too, no convection yet but getting quite gusty outside. Sensor light upstairs has come on it's so dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

jimmynokia wrote: »
    AND NO PICS....GTFO

Can't understand why someone could not put a smart phone out a window and record the lightning, on a day when we had record lightning no one has posted any video

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

North Kk. You can hear the odd rumble off towards the Laois direction. Gone darker all round

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Storm 10 wrote:
    Can't understand why someone could not put a smart phone out a window and record the lightning, on a day when we had record lightning no one has posted any video

Understandably a risk but I'd be sat right under it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlanMcC23

Thunder and fork lightening with seriously heavy rain in mountmellick, laois

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Direct hit lightning strike on Mountmellick town just now. I reckon half a second max between the flash and the bang (more like a cannon and a rip!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

AlanMcC23 wrote: »
    Thunder and fork lightening with seriously heavy rain in mountmellick, laois

North Laois and SW Laois getting it. The bit in the middle is just rain as it passes over.

Advertisement