Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your worst nightmare?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

eviltwin wrote: »
    Losing my children. I'm fairly sure I'd take my own life.

Never be hasty.

Happened my Mam about 35 years ago in Dunnes. They had security close the doors but 20 mins later no sign.

Turned out I was under a checkout that wasn't being used eating a block of margarine.

So, check there first.

Or the fridge aisle...near the butter....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I forgot to add, going to the hairdresser. The stupid "are you going out this weekend?", "any holidays planned?" chatter is my nightmare. I hate small talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Moving in with someone that doesn't organise the cutlery drawer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,440 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

385 tv channels and they all only show love island

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Being left with no pain meds ..like now.

All the others have already happened in my life and I have coped. ...This one persists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Meeting Alan Rickman

Some of my worst nightmares have already come to pass. You think you will never survive but you do. You think you will fall to pieces and life will never be the same and that's true but you do survive. These days it would be something happening to my dad or I'll health falling on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Being buried alive. Being alone in a room with a giant spider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Having to wait a whole year for the final season of game of thrones ☹

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Being diagnosed with dementia/alzheimers and spending the last 10 years of my life in a nursing home.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

Used to be an actual recurring dream from time to time -being in a head on collision with an artic before I learned to drive but I always managed to swerve in time so go me!

That's probably me you see sometimes being a cheeky driver jumping lanes on the motorway but try not to judge as it's just my dream resurfacing at opportune moments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭thomil

I've lived it. My absolute worst nightmare was losing my parents, who also were all that was left of my family. Last year, in a space of 4 months, that is exactly what happened. Oh, and I got kicked out of my apartment, found myself with a significant amount of debt (that I could luckily get rid of) and came within an inch of losing my job as well. At times, it seemed that the dark times would never end, but rest assured they do. There's always a light at the end of the tunnel.

On the plus side, I'm far less scared of dying now than I was before all that kicked off.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Being curb stomped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Serious stuff : children and/or husband dying.
    house burning

Lighter stuff : having to dress up and go pretend at a garden party with lots of rich, posh and important people that I would need to impress for some reason.

Spiders on me, in my bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Being curb stomped.

Does Derek vineyard live close or is it just the fear he might get ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Loosing my child.

Eh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

A shark biting my penis off, then having it reattached but the doctors making a mistake and putting it on backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Dying of cancer. I could deal with the chemo/radiation/doctors etc but the end stages are horrific. I saw my mother go through it and it's not like in the movies where they hold your hand and tell you they love you. She wanted to die at home so the hospice pumped her full of platelets and arranged for it to happen.

The physical deterioration is rapid and brutal. She went from needing wheelchair assistance to use the toilet, to using a commode, to having a catheter in a couple of weeks. Each deterioration took away a part of who she was. Her final weekend was just awful. She couldn't speak or communicate with us and could only grunt and groan. What made it so awful was that we knew it was just her body failing and not her mind :(

She was one of 6 siblings and 4 of them have died from cancer, 3 within the same year and in their 60's. I've had nightmares about her death which were horrific and my biggest fear is that I'll end up like her - wasting away, knowing that I'm dying and I hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

The prospect of losing my mother was my greatest fear. She was a heavy smoker and as soon as I learned how to read, I became intensely preoccupied with the words "Smokers Die Younger" on cigarette packets and advertisements. I didn't know what cancer was, but I had very vivid nightmares about her dying from it. I remember one time, when I was around 9 or 10, crying myself to sleep because she had bronchitis and I had convinced myself that it was lung cancer. She did eventually die from lung cancer, but not until I was 30. Her illness and death were more peaceful than I had imagined, but the loss was and remains worse than any of my worst nightmares.

I don't really have any 'worst nightmare' scenarios anymore. Apart from paper-cuts in improbable places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The prospect of losing my mother was my greatest fear. She was a heavy smoker and as soon as I learned how to read, I became intensely preoccupied with the words "Smokers Die Younger" on cigarette packets and advertisements. I didn't know what cancer was, but I had very vivid nightmares about her dying from it. I remember one time, when I was around 9 or 10, crying myself to sleep because she had bronchitis and I had convinced myself that it was lung cancer. She did eventually die from lung cancer, but not until I was 30. Her illness and death were more peaceful than I had imagined, but the loss was and remains worse than any of my worst nightmares.

I don't really have any 'worst nightmare' scenarios anymore. Apart from paper-cuts in improbable places.

that story about you fearing your mother was going to die because of her smoking, would make a great anti smoking advert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Getting stuck in a lift with that young tv chef

Donal skehan.

Maybe not as bad but making a major **** up in work resulting in an injury to a co-worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Fightin some faceless badsterd and my digs are all in slow mo.

Some cnut chasing me and I can't shake the badsterd.

Going back to school or an old job.

Something bad happens to my dog.

Teeth falling out.

Tripping over something and waking up with a start.

My mother has let my father move back into the house.

Trying to make a phone call but being unable to dial or connect for some reason.

Flying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Losing anonymity in the way that the people below did. I try to live a quiet life and am a private person. So to become infamous for something, and getting the attention that follows would be my worst nightmare. Even thinking about doing something stupid caught on camera that went viral gives me the shivers

First lady tweeted something stupid before a flight and her life was ruined a few hours later

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html

And then there is Steve Bartman, who went to a baseball game, but then became Chicago's public enemy number one until the Cubs finally won the World Series in 2016. In fairness, the Cubs have been making a huge effort to make it up to him since, but it was a shameful episode. There's a great ESPN documentary about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bartman_incident

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Becoming paralysed and needing 24h care kinda situation, terrifies me. The thought of being a burden on family and that of watching my children grow up but never be part of the process and constantly watching life from the outside. Scary feckin stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Getting MND

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Being lost in the dunnes stores priest section with no way out while wearing my lingerie outfit

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Being stuck in "sheltered accommodation" surrounded by old folk and organised out of any semblance of life.

Folk WILL keep suggesting it, meaning well. Makes me shudder.

And as for a nursing home.... SHUDDERS. Overheated, confined... overorganised.. noisy...

Which is one reason I am here, on a small island with no facilities, often cut off, inaccessible!

And my far away extended "family" know my needs and will protect me!

Many of the fears listed here I have endured already. And some not mentioned. Yes we are far more resilient than we think until we need to . The thing most fears have in common is loss or personal control.ck of personal control.

Old man outside a pub told me this acronym... F E A R = False Evidence Appearing Real,

Fear is the real nightmare...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I thought of another one - getting home to find my house has been broken into and my dogs have either been stolen, injured/killed by the burglar or escaped during the break in, ran onto the main road and were killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Being convicted or a crime I didn't commit. The time in prison would be daily mental torture.

Advertisement