Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking justice in your own hands

Options
  • 06-06-2018 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

While I realise people have a particular aversion to sexually based crimes, the one that really strikes me is the pitiful sentences handed out for death/serious injury by dangerous driving.

Obviously you never know until you're (God Forbid) in the actual situation but I feel quite strongly that if someone I loved was killed or seriously injured by someone and handed a ridiculously short sentence I'd be waiting for them in the long grass. I suppose two wrongs don't make a right but I don't think I'd be able to help myself.

Has this ever happened that we know of? Anyone else feel the same? Am I just as bas as the scumbags? Thoughts, comments etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Honestly, words are cheap unless there's experience behind them and a lot would depend on the actual situation, but in this case I'm with you all the way.

I believe a lot of the crusty old farts on the bench should be forced into retirement along with a serious overhauling of our archaic judicial system. Sentencing should reflect the crimes. Prisons should have very basic conveniences, all prisoners should be responsible for their own bedding, laundry and cleaning. More prisons less perks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

You will have people who hand out horrible punishments for the most trivial offences.
    Forty years ago I lived in Africa. It was common for mobs to attack a person they believed had committed an offence, often inflicting serious injury or death.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

While I realise people have a particular aversion to sexually based crimes, the one that really strikes me is the pitiful sentences handed out for death/serious injury by dangerous driving.

Obviously you never know until you're (God Forbid) in the actual situation but I feel quite strongly that if someone I loved was killed or seriously injured by someone and handed a ridiculously short sentence I'd be waiting for them in the long grass. I suppose two wrongs don't make a right but I don't think I'd be able to help myself.

Has this ever happened that we know of? Anyone else feel the same? Am I just as bas as the scumbags? Thoughts, comments etc.

My mother was killed by a bad driver. All the judge did was fine him and tell him his driving was very bad and he needed to do something about it.

Someone had the nerve to say to me that the driver would have to live with this for the rest of his life.......My mother had no life.

But no; would never attack anyone. No wish to do that. Just grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When push comes to shove most people wouldn't do ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

In my job, I quite often I have to tell people they have to stop driving as they are unsafe to do so. Some people are understanding, but the majority, particularly elderly people, refuse to believe it. I know that a significant percentage of them leave my company with zero intention of stopping driving.

There are also an awful lot of people driving without glasses when they are unsafe to do so.

I don’t think there’s enough public awareness, or indignation/shaming, of this. Knowing that so many of these people are on the roads, with their, “it won’t happen to me, it’ll be grand”, “sure I only drive locally” logic, is terrifying!

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

Why should we? That is what the law is for. Anarchy else.

What was interesting was that the police lied to me about the date of the court case as they were scared I would in some way attack the man. They admitted it. "You were very upset when you identified her."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Does incarceration actually work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

biko wrote: »

Unless of course if it involves pedophiles, then there's no end to what they wouldn't do if they caught the guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

BECAUSE IM BATMAAAN

latest?cb=20140107211141

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I’ve done it before. Got assaulted, went to the police who were 100% useless.

Waited a few weeks and beat the guy to a bloody pulp.

Justice served.

As an aside, when I reported it to the Gardai I gave them the name and address of the guy who sucker head butted me, name and number of the manager in the nightclub who had the assault on dvd from the CCTV, names and numbers of bouncers who’d seen it happen and the names of about 5 witnesses who’d left their names numbers with the bouncer. He told me he’d look into it and get back to me. That was about 10+ years ago, still waiting to hear back.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Does incarceration actually work?

A life ban would..maybe.

In my job, I quite often I have to tell people they have to stop driving as they are unsafe to do so. Some people are understanding, but the majority, particularly elderly people, refuse to believe it. I know that a significant percentage of them leave my company with zero intention of stopping driving.

There are also an awful lot of people driving without glasses when they are unsafe to do so.

I don’t think there’s enough public awareness, or indignation/shaming, of this. Knowing that so many of these people are on the roads, with their, “it won’t happen to me, it’ll be grand”, “sure I only drive locally” logic, is terrifying!

Not defending it but in deep rural areas a car is literally a lifeline especially for old folk and more needs to be put in to help them get out

Graces7 wrote:
    A life ban would..maybe.

Would this actually stop people from driving, and would it solve the problem?

Graces7 wrote:
    Not defending it but in deep rural areas a car is literally a lifeline especially for old folk and more needs to be put in to help them get out

Completely agree, it can be a case of, drive or die

Completely agree, it can be a case of, drive or die

How did old people survive 50 years ago?? Drive or die ffs.

How did old people survive 50 years ago?? Drive or die ffs.

The world is vastly different from 50 years ago, our society has changed greatly since. How does one buy critical things such as food, if living in a rural area, can elderly people simply walk to be in the company of others, are our public transport systems adequate enough to help do all this?

The world is vastly different from 50 years ago, our society has changed greatly since. How does one buy critical things such as food, if living in a rural area, can elderly people simply walk to be in the company of others, are our public transport systems adequate enough to help do all this?

Again, how did they do it rurally 50 years ago? There are more shopping options now than ever in the history of the state. What public transport systems were there in rural locations 50 years ago? Could elderly people simply walk to be in the company of others 50 years ago? Whats happened over the past 50 years thats impacted on their walking ability??

Again, how did they do it rurally 50 years ago? There are more shopping options now than ever in the history of the state. What public transport systems were there in rural locations 50 years ago? Could elderly people simply walk to be in the company of others 50 years ago? Whats happened over the past 50 years thats impacted on their walking ability??

Hmmm, can someone who may have physical health issues, carry shopping home? Were our communities closer knit 50 years ago? Spend much time around elderly people, walking tends to be a problem with their physical health issues?

Thanks.

My situation on a small island is extreme but as my health has declined of late I am now getting food delivered. I had to push for this and organise it myself. No help else.

For able bodied there is a community bus once a week connecting with the ferry.

But many do not have that.

Graces7 wrote:
    But many do not have that.

Thank you grace, I'm somewhat aware of these issues

• Advertisement

Family units were more close knit 50 years ago. So fewer old folk left alone.

I do not think he meant literally walk as in ability but in proximity. Few rural dwellers live within walking distance of shops, church etc. whatever their age.

I’ve done it before. Got assaulted, went to the police who were 100% useless.

Waited a few weeks and beat the guy to a bloody pulp.

Justice served.

As an aside, when I reported it to the Gardai I gave them the name and address of the guy who sucker head butted me, name and number of the manager in the nightclub who had the assault on dvd from the CCTV, names and numbers of bouncers who’d seen it happen and the names of about 5 witnesses who’d left their names numbers with the bouncer. He told me he’d look into it and get back to me. That was about 10+ years ago, still waiting to hear back.

Fighting crime with crime is appalling; and not even on the spur of the moment but planned and calculated .. That is not justice.

Hmmm, can someone who may have physical health issues, carry shopping home? Were our communities closer knit 50 years ago? Spend much time around elderly people, walking tends to be a problem with their physical health issues?

Could the elderly carry them home 50 years ago?? Have our elders gone soft?

I'll ask again, "Whats happened over the past 50 years that's impacted on their walking ability??"

Graces7 wrote: »
    Family units were more close knit 50 years ago. So fewer old folk left alone.

I do not think he meant literally walk as in ability but in proximity. Few rural dwellers live within walking distance of shops, church etc. whatever their age.

In a week when we've seen a 2 day event that brought together hundreds of survivors of the Magdalene Laundries who were put into them by their families, you come out with that clap-trap!!! Laughable.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Fighting crime with crime is appalling; and not even on the spur of the moment but planned and calculated .. That is not justice.

He got what he deserved.

Could the elderly carry them home 50 years ago?? Have our elders gone soft?

I'll ask again, "Whats happened over the past 50 years that's impacted on their walking ability??"

I'd recommend spending some time with some elderly people, they are very well informed in such matters, they would also probably appreciate the chat, but it's important not to be judgemental and critical in such interactions, you will learn a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

There are more SuperMarkets in bigger towns etc.
    But there are less smaller shops in rural communities the type that had everything in stock.
    Where my parents lived there used be two of these small shops, a post office and a pub.
    All gone in the last 8-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Look up DHL Flight 611 collision with Bashkirian Airlines flight 2937.

One of the fathers of the some of the victims murdered the ATC who he held responsible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Has it ever happened?

A lot of neighbourhoods around Dublin would have unreported crimes which would have been dealt with without the procedure of the law - I know of many cases where people were caught breaking into houses / cars and justice was applied on the spot.

• Advertisement

I'd recommend spending some time with some elderly people, they are very well informed in such matters, they would also probably appreciate the chat, but it's important not to be judgemental and critical in such interactions, you will learn a lot

You're fudging the question because you can't answer it. You want people that are unfit to drive to be allowed to drive because its, according to you, "drive or die".

I'm asking what about 50 years ago when there were very few cars. You have refused to answer that.

Advertisement