Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city marathon 28/10/2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I was planning on picking up numbers for a couple of friends at registration. Anyone know what I will need from them to do this? The official page seems to suggest that you can only pick up your number in person but I was sure there was something official in recent years where you could pick up numbers for others if you had certain documents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

You need their confirmation letter, signed letter from them saying who’s picking up number, and then person who is picking up numbers needs to bring ID.

According to their Twitter replies. https://mobile.twitter.com/dublinmarathon/status/1054729516495593473

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭solidasarock

I wonder if the Scientologists will be renting half the expo again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I wonder if the Scientologists will be renting half the expo again this year.

Yippee!! Will Tom Cruise and John Travolta be there?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

We are driving up on Sunday for the first time ever. We used to stay in the Mespil every year but it's was getting more and more expensive.
    The plan is still to park around that area but what time do they normally close the roads on the morning of the race. We will be coming in through kilmainham, dolphins barn and along the canal.
    If we are in Dublin around 7 Will we be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Trampas

fennor72 wrote: »
    We are driving up on Sunday for the first time ever. We used to stay in the Mespil every year but it's was getting more and more expensive.
    The plan is still to park around that area but what time do they normally close the roads on the morning of the race. We will be coming in through kilmainham, dolphins barn and along the canal.
    If we are in Dublin around 7 Will we be ok

All roads be open where you want to drive bar the start/finish area if you know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I'm so excited about watching / marshalling the marathon!!! Is the start list available yet? Anyone know what African and Russian runners are coming?

Who's going to win - the men's, the women's, the national champs?? Any guesses?

* I am excited!*

(& good luck, all!)

Elite list HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Peterx wrote: »
    NeedsTraining that's some PB, 8 seconds to spare....

And thanks OOnegative for the mile by mile guide.

Whatever about the predicted cold temperatures I just hope it's not windy.

I cut it fine to say the least. The last 400m was interesting :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 The O

Great to see such depth of quality in the men's elite field. There's also some Irish guys not listed (M. Kirwan, D. Mansfield, M. Ryan) who should run sub-2:25 also.

The opposite is the case for the women. Potentially only two Irish under 2:55 is poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

sideswipe wrote: »
    Elite list HERE

Brill thanks. Wow, one of the men has a 2.04.xx PB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Really looking forward to supporting and want to wish everyone all the very best.

Anyone have a list of pacers for me so we know who we're roaring at?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

aquinn wrote: »
    Anyone have a list of pacers for me so we know who we're roaring at?

this was on the novices thread:

Pacer list...all pacers to go at even splits,
    3:00 Abhainn,RoadRunner,Dublin runner
    3:10 Artifunkin,niall,brian
    3:20 Killerz,chris,Fozzy
    3:30 Paul,lecheile,MarkoM
    3:40 Garman,ollie,paul Reny(forget boards name)
    3:50 rolando,Ankers,bobby rex
    4:00 super joe,olwyn,hannon,gay byrne
    410.oonegative,Peter,Dave
    420 jbski,hogansheroes,karina johina
    430 alision,charlie Chapman Andrew
    440 Annej,Des,raycass,des
    450 marie,sharon,pat
    459 AnnMC,paulR,Jedward

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

So I'm aiming for 3:20 but in wave 3. Not sure how I ended up in there and they wouldn't move me even though I had information to back up my time. Will the 3rd wave go straight after all from wave 2 go through or will there be a few mins to allow a gap? Wondering will I hit a wall of people every early on or will it space out quickly enough? I'm hoping to be at the top of wave 3 if I can squeeze my way up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

jnk883 wrote: »
    So I'm aiming for 3:20 but in wave 3. Not sure how I ended up in there and they wouldn't move me even though I had information to back up my time. Will the 3rd wave go straight after all from wave 2 go through or will there be a few mins to allow a gap? Wondering will I hit a wall of people every early on or will it space out quickly enough? I'm hoping to be at the top of wave 3 if I can squeeze my way up there.

The waves don't take much more than 3 minutes to clear the start line. You'll have a good 10/12 minutes to wait.

Look at the positive, there will be no one in your way at the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

Look at the positive, there will be no one in your way at the start!

Through no fault of my own I missed my wave start in New York last year and went with the next wave. I ended up overtaking runners the whole way through, an unbelievable feeling and a 1st for me in a marathon. Just get up the front of the wave and you'll fly it.

Probably already mentioned but don’t forget the clocks go back this weekend.
    Or is it forward:confused:
    Ah I’m sure yis all have it in hand. Just don’t be late, or is it early? Not sure myself now!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

3.20 is wave 1.

3:50 are the back of wave 2

If you going for sub 3.20 you'll have to literally run through the whole of wave 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ah I’m sure yis all have it in hand. Just don’t be late, or is it early? Not sure myself now!

They go back. And if you forget about it, you'll be an hour early. But since mobile phones automatically change at the right time, it's become much less of an issue.

If you start in wave 3, by the time you catch up to wave 2 they will have spread out a lot but it will gradually become busier as you make your way through the field.

Overtaking runners is a great feeling, though. :D

Alternatively you could talk to the support team at the expo to move you up a wave. If you have proof of your previous time that shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Spring forward, fall back.... :)

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Spring forward, fall back.... :)

Jaysus don’t say that here!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

If you start in wave 3, by the time you catch up to wave 2 they will have spread out a lot but it will gradually become busier as you make your way through the field.

Overtaking runners is a great feeling, though. :D

Alternatively you could talk to the support team at the expo to move you up a wave. If you have proof of your previous time that shouldn't be a problem.
    I was talking to them but seemingly it isn't possible. It is frustrating but I'll have to go with it. I think if things get extremely busy I may have to rethink my time as weaving in and out will make things a lot longer in the end. The way SeeMoreBut put it I could have to run past 5000 people. But by mile 25 4999 might pass me back out haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭M.m.m.

Just wondering, I did the 3/4 marathon in 3.28. What time should I aim for?

I had done a 17 mile run on the Monday before the 3/4 and also ran three days during the week and did some weight training on the Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

M.m.m. wrote: »

I had done a 17 mile run on the Monday before the 3/4 and also ran three days during the week and did some weight training on the Friday

How long is a piece of string question.

2 people could do that one runs it as a lsr other person runs it at race pace. Chances are they could be 30 minutes difference in marathon time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭M.m.m.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string question.

2 people could do that one runs it as a lsr other person runs it at race pace. Chances are they could be 30 minutes difference in marathon time

I'm not sure what pace I was doing really, last week I did similar average pace for 15 mile LSR, jogging first 8 miles very slowly and picking it up for last 7 but felt quite good after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone on Sunday!

M.m.m. wrote: »

You ran the 3/4 at 4:15 marathon pace.

If you think you can hold the same pace for another 45(ish) minutes, go for 4:15. Otherwise adapt accordingly.

One word of warning, the last quarter is where the marathon start to become a marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Or, a 20 mile training run, followed by a 10k race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

sideswipe wrote: »
    Elite list HERE

bumped into a couple of the lads this morning jogging along the canal

Advertisement