Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city marathon 28/10/2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

NeedsTraining that's some PB, 8 seconds to spare....

And thanks OOnegative for the mile by mile guide.

Whatever about the predicted cold temperatures I just hope it's not windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Trampas

Airtel31 wrote: »
    GP said only a head cold plenty of rest and hot drinks should be ok for Sunday also can somebody put me in for 4:21:30 PB 4:45:00 is the target considering this stupid head cold tbh be the way I’m feeling finishing will do me going to the double next year Cork and Dublin

Once it doesn’t go into your chest you should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

Trampas wrote: »
    Once it doesn’t go into your chest you should be ok
    That’s what I’m afraid of I’m watching it like a hawk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

OOnegative wrote: »
    Mile 23 to 24 is reasonably flat except for climb at UCD flyover where you cross the Road

The UCD flyover isn't even a climb! It's virtually flat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Does anybody know the gaps between the pacers crossing the start line?
    I'm planning on targeting 4.10, but want to start with or just in front of the 4.20 pacers, so just looking for an idea of how much I might have in hand on the day if I manage to catch the 4.10 pacers after a conservative start (or even how close I would need to get to them by the end to hit my goal).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Don’t shoot the messenger, not my words. I’ve never ran Dublin before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Might as well have been Everest first time I did DCM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Any locals remind me of the bus number(s) from hueston to the rds.
    I remember getting one a couple of years back that dropped me on the road right behind the rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I remember getting one a couple of years back that dropped me on the road right behind the rds.

Why don’t you just run down the keys. Nice little warm up:)

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    I'm planning on targeting 4.10, but want to start with or just in front of the 4.20 pacers, so just looking for an idea of how much I might have in hand on the day if I manage to catch the 4.10 pacers after a conservative start (or even how close I would need to get to them by the end to hit my goal).

They’ll cross the start line with in a few mins of each other as in the same wave. They’ll then be doing even pacing so 4:10 guys doing about 9:28 and 4:20 guys doing say 9:50 or so. I take it you mean when should you try and catch them? Maybe consider doing the first half in about 2:06/2:07 and then pushing on a bit to reel them in during the 2nd half?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Buzwaldo wrote: »

I don't think they have prescribed gaps. Last year the 4 hour pacer was 2:15 ahead of the last runners in the wave. So in that case if you started at the very back of the wave and finished with the pacer you'd have run it in 3:57:45

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Mile 11 to 16 is back in town with crowds and water stations. Settle yourself. Analyse how you feel and what pace is comfortable. Take in the day and the crowds.They do help and lift the spirits. Passing halfway have a smile. On the way home.

I find that this is a part where you need to be careful. Even after the big hill on Laurence's Road, there are a few smaller climbs in Islandbridge and Rialto and then that long incline up the Crumlin Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Not quite true, to be fair. There's a bit of a drag, and the legs are tired at that stage anyway. It's a nice even incline though, and I always find they're a bit easier than a 'natural' incline with undulations.

davedanon wrote: »
    Not quite true, to be fair. There's a bit of a drag, and the legs are tired at that stage anyway. It's a nice even incline though, and I always find they're a bit easier than a 'natural' incline with undulations.

I find the road after flyover is turn at Rte worse. Road is crap. Cars and buses flying against you to give you a nice headwind at times if you get that bus or truck

Flyover goes down. The up is a few yards up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Jaysus lads if yis think those roads are hills taper madness has really took hold:pac:

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Jaysus lads if yis think those roads are hills taper madness has really took hold:pac:

'drag' is the word I used. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Always found the drag from UCD to rte the toughest part after Clonskeagh. Roebuck never bothered me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'm so excited about watching / marshalling the marathon!!! Is the start list available yet? Anyone know what African and Russian runners are coming?

Who's going to win - the men's, the women's, the national champs?? Any guesses?

* I am excited!*

(& good luck, all!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think Lizzie Lee is running this year. Is Laura Graham in?

Gary O'Hanlon is in for the men, don't know who else.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    I think Lizzie Lee is running this year. Is Laura Graham in?

Gary O'Hanlon is in for the men, don't know who else.

Clohissy & Scullion also.

Clohissy & Scullion also.

I heard Stephen Scullion was not running? Read it somewhere - fast running? Twitter?

Paul Pollock isn't running either.

Sergiu Ciobanu, Gary O'Hanlon, Mick Clohisey all are.

Lizzie Lee & Kerry O'Flaherty, in the women's I think?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I heard Stephen Scullion was not running? Read it somewhere - fast running? Twitter?

Scullion is down on RTRT.ME App as running, might be incorrect of course.

Scullion is down on RTRT.ME App as running, might be incorrect of course.

I read it here:

https://www.herald.ie/sport/other-sports/gary-ready-for-dublin-37400752.html

(But he might be recovered by now)

Na say your right, article is less than two weeks old can’t see Scullion running so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Na say your right, article is less than two weeks old can’t see Scullion running so.

he's still in Flagstaff, this time last year he'd flown over this side of the Atlantic by now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Don’t shoot the messenger, not my words. I’ve never ran Dublin before.

I'm not shooting anyone, just pointing out the obvious.

That's a downhill mile. It's downhill on the N11 coming from Fosters Avenue, then it's flat onto the flyover (ok, there might 3 feet of elevation gain) and shortly after that it's downhill on Nutley lane, which your man seems to have forgotten about.

It's the bridge over the canal a couple of miles later that can feel like Everest! :D

I'm not shooting anyone, just pointing out the obvious.

That's a downhill mile. It's downhill on the N11 coming from Fosters Avenue, then it's flat onto the flyover (ok, there might 3 feet of elevation gain) and shortly after that it's downhill on Nutley lane, which your man seems to have forgotten about.

It's the bridge over the canal a couple of miles later that can feel like Everest! :D

That bridge is gone when they got rid of trinity loop

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

[At the risk of opening the whole debate again] I see in Lindie Naughton's article that Freddy Sittuk is running again this year, but is he eligible for the national?

• Advertisement

[At the risk of opening the whole debate again] I see in Lindie Naughton's article that Freddy Sittuk is running again this year, but is he eligible for the national?

He’s not eligible, as far as I know. I was talking to him at The Lakes 10k & he said he wouldn’t be.
    It was all awful for everyone last year; hope it’s all made v clear before the start this year.

Advertisement