Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What washing powder does Una Mulally use?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah i gave up on it when they started charging and my free articles allowance goes on property stuff out of curiosity.
    So i haven't read the columnists mentioned here

I'm starting to find that all the opinion pieces are subscriber only. So I don't get to read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If they actually were the After Hours MRA’s could well explode with rage. And the two of them out without a male chaperone too!

Didn't one recently interview the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

she'd no time for tom mcgurk disagreeing with open borders

:D:D:D

Her "debating" style is pure 13-year-old-spoiled-only-child.

The funniest part of this thread is the number of people who seem to believe she is a good journalist. No wonder journalism in this country is in the state it is if her repetitive, derivative, hectoring output is considered good journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Gravelly wrote:
    The funniest part of this thread is the number of people who seem to believe she is a good journalist. No wonder journalism in this country is in the state it is if her repetitive, derivative, hectoring output is considered good journalism.

I don't know if people are saying she's a good journalist, but more so that she's a good writer. There's a difference.

I don't know if people are saying she's a good journalist, but more so that she's a good writer. There's a difference.

She's neither though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Gravelly wrote:
    She's neither though.

That's a subjective view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Persil, it's gotta be Persil, or Daz, maybe Daz

That's a subjective view.

True, but good writing usually has some basic prerequisites - originality say, maybe a well-constructed argument or two, an ability to see beyond the writers prejudices etc. Una's output lacks these, and so much more, that I cannot see how anyone could seriously describe it as good in any real sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

She's a music journalist I think. And she also writes opinion pieces. What people are complaining about are her opinion pieces. So journalism probably doesn't come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Gravelly wrote: »
    She's neither though.

I'm a writer and I think Una Mullally writes well. I think her Opinion pieces are more Opinionated pieces though so I don't really rate her as a journalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Fintan the Tool

fintanotoole-200x300.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I'm a writer and I think Una Mullally writes well. I think her Opinion pieces are more Opinionated pieces though so I don't really rate her as a journalist.

I disagree. A lot of the words she uses she doesn't know the meaning of and she like the old word salad tbh.

Though I suppose that's a lot better than Fintan O Toole referencing Beckett or Shaw in a completely pointless or irrelevant context just so everyone knows he's read Beckett or Shaw because isn't it obvious that only clever people read Beckett or Shaw.

Look we get it, you read Waiting for Godot. It doesn't make you intelligent you clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Definitely Ariel, today's feminists love being pandered to.

https://twitter.com/ArielIndia/status/707141947362705408

Pretty bad to accuse a cancer survivor of being dirty.

I'm commenting on her as a journalist and opinion piece writer. I think your post is pretty nasty.

We're all entitled to our opinion I guess, but without addressing the points I made about her writing (derivative, lacking in coherent argument, inability to see beyond her prejudices), I think it's more a case that you like her writing, rather than that she writes well (and there's nothing wrong with that - my favorite author is Stephen King, but I wouldn't try to argue that he is on a par in terms of writing with Salman Rushdie or Ian McEwan).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Who is she?

We're all entitled to our opinion I guess, but without addressing the points I made about her writing (derivative, lacking in coherent argument, inability to see beyond her prejudices), I think it's more a case that you like her writing, rather than that she writes well (and there's nothing wrong with that - my favorite author is Stephen King, but I wouldn't try to argue that he is on a par in terms of writing with Salman Rushdie or Ian McEwan).

I totally agree that she doesn't argue well in her articles, or bring much balance to them. But I think she is a good 'writer', which is different I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

stoneill wrote: »
    Who is she?

A newspaper columnist who has the audacity to sometimes write about female issues and not muslim gangs in Rotherham, so you know she needs a few hundred posts here in After Hours slaughtering her.

I totally agree that she doesn't argue well in her articles, or bring much balance to them. But I think she is a good 'writer', which is different I suppose.

I'd find it difficult to separate the two, but if you enjoy her writing, you enjoy it, and nothing wrong with that.

A newspaper columnist who has the audacity to sometimesalways write about that female issues are the only issues and all the world troubles are the fault of white males not muslim gangs in Rotherham, so you know she needs a few hundred posts here in After Hours slaughtering being honest abouther.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

FYP

Actually she doesn't write just about women's issues which you would know if you actually read any of her columns instead of being just blindly outraged about how everyone is against white men.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Actually she doesn't write just about women's issues which you would know if you actually read any of her columns instead of being just blindly outraged about how everyone is against white men.

For my sins I have read many of her columns. In fairness you're correct - she doesn't JUST write about "women's issues" she often writes about Trump (very often actually) and she occasionally writes what could be optimistically termed "music journalism" - usually about how herself and her friends were really super cool at some gig or other. I'm not sure where you are getting "blind outrage" from (or what it even means) as I'm getting a great laugh out of people like your good self pretending Una is anything other than a third rate self-referential social media warrior who landed a handy gig trotting our her many opinions in what used to be a newspaper. More power to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

A newspaper columnist who has the audacity to sometimes write about female issues and not muslim gangs in Rotherham, so you know she needs a few hundred posts here in After Hours slaughtering her.

Wah wah wah. The big bad nazi, alt-right, misogynist, patriarchal bastards on boards don’t like someone on my “side” :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

What is a female issue?
    In an era of increasing equality surely we should be discussing human issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wah wah wah. The big bad nazi, alt-right, misogynist, patriarchal bastards on boards don’t like someone on my “side” :rolleyes:

Believe me, I really don't have a side. Just gets a bit repetitive and boring with the same old faces and the same handful of re-regged accounts feel the need to indulge themselves in the Two Minutes Hate anytime anyone who they deem to be liberals or SJWs or snowflakes or whatever the latest pop-slur is, has something to say.

But sure whatever keeps you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

nullzero wrote: »
    What is a female issue?
    In an era of increasing equality surely we should be discussing human issues.

Females are humans. Female issues are human issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

meeeeh wrote: »

Ah you're back. Any links to those Neo Nazi 'Slavic' posts that me and my friends made (whatever that means) or are you just gonna ignore that again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Believe me, I really don't have a side. Just gets a bit repetitive and boring with the same old faces and the same handful of re-regged accounts feel the need to indulge themselves in the Two Minutes Hate anytime anyone who they deem to be liberals or SJWs or snowflakes or whatever the latest pop-slur is, has something to say.

But sure whatever keeps you happy.

That's a little bit ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

she'd no time for tom mcgurk disagreeing with open borders

Is there a full video of this?

I'd like to see if she actually addresses McGurks points because in that clip she just leads off with emotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I find her too much - but to be honest the Irish Independent seams to have gone even more extreme - forget equality today - women have now become more equal than men.

ps I am an equalist - where everyone should be paid the same based on ability not gender.

Advertisement