Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What washing powder does Una Mulally use?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I disagree with most of the views of Una, Fintan O'Toole, and Breda O'Brien.

But I read their columns every week as they challenge my world view. It's a sign of a good newspaper if you ask me.

Reading only columnists you agree with is boring and can be dangerous. It gives you a warped sense that your opinion has to be right because every journalist you read agrees with you.

Reading Una's pieces reminds me that we are not all the same in society. That there are others out there like Una, Fintan and Breda and that their vote is as equal as mine. It's a sobering thought.

That's very true. But , although I disagree with the views of many columnists, there are only a handful that I find really strident and intolerant in their writing. Una is one of those. Some of the Sindo journalists are also very single minded and write as if they assume that all right minded people agree with them, and anyone who doesn't isn't worth bothering about.

I don't know if I can face another one of these threads lads..

'It is not those who inflict the most but those who endure the most who will ultimately triumph.'

- Traolach Mac Suibhne (1879-1920)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Mutant z wrote: »
    If she had her way all those with a different opinion to her would be banned from the airwaves why would you have any sympathy for her.

Care to point out where she said that? I see a trend here of people exaggerating whenever a feminist, particularly one who's female, is mentioned.

In another thread someone mentioned a feminist that said all men are bastards. I asked for them to show where and it never appeared. In fact I think I asked to show where any mainstream feminist that's currently writing said it and they couldn't show it.

Just look at her last 20 or 50 articles in the IT and show me where she said anything like that, or said that differing opinions should be banned.

And try to do it without using the word feminazi ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

If she had her way all those with a different opinion to her would be banned from the airwaves why would you have any sympathy for her.

Any quote about that? You also claim she writes about immigration, I don't read every column she writes but I never came accross her writting about immigration.

You are criticising her for the failings you imagine her to have and not for something she actually wrote.

Edit: I see that Rotheram was mentioned again. That must be a new Goodwin for triggered right wingers.

Of course when there was actual sexual abuse of girls in Rotherham and Telford she was no where to be seen why doesnt she make herself useful and tweet about that or is the religion of peace out of bounds for self proclaimed feminists like Una Mulally.

Muslims. Of course you had to go there.

rather than complain about something she has said, you're complaining about what she hasn't said? You do realise that not everyone is obsessed about muslims? And she's an Irish journalist, that's a UK story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,111 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Will it have the excellent, witty title changes the the Louise O’Neill one has? :D

Me first, please.

Una: Does she drive you Doolally?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Of course when there was actual sexual abuse of girls in Rotherham and Telford she was no where to be seen why doesnt she make herself useful and tweet about that or is the religion of peace out of bounds for self proclaimed feminists like Una Mulally.

Wait... is she complaining too much, or not enough? You're sending mixed messages here.

Also, Rotherham and Telford are in the UK. Not sure how much she could hope to achieve by focusing on those issues in her Irish Times column.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

meeeeh wrote: »
    Any quote about that? You also claim she writes about immigration, I don't read every column she writes but I never came accross her writting about immigration.

You are criticising her for the failings you imagine her to have and not for something she actually wrote.

Are you joking she's always quick to get the racist card out on anything remotely touching immigration but out of interest when has she ever mentioned the disgusting treatment of women inside islamic culture because i dont think ive come across it.

Are you joking she's always quick to get the racist card out on anything remotely touching immigration but out of interest when has she ever mentioned the disgusting treatment of women inside islamic culture because i dont think ive come across it.

Any quotes for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Goodshape wrote: »
    Wait... is she complaining too much, or not enough? You're sending mixed messages here.

Also, Rotherham and Telford are in the UK. Not sure how much she could hope to achieve by focusing on those issues in her Irish Times column.

She had no problem whinging about the US presidential election result so surely she could bring herself to mention a very serious issue and the suffering of vulnerable young girls by grooming gangs just across the water.

• Advertisement

She had no problem whinging about the US presidential election result so surely she could bring herself to mention a very serious issue and the suffering of vulnerable young girls by grooming gangs just across the water.

So every columnist that mentions Trump now has to talk about Rotherham?

You're the person who's obsessed with this. This is an issue with you, not her.

btw, you manage to get any of those sources you have been asked for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I stopped getting the Irish Times because of its focus on opinion columnists like Una Mullaly to the detriment of actual news reporting. Just in the last year they've gotten rid of Paddy Agnew, who did solid reporting from Italy for decades.

Instead now it's mainly press releases reported as news, a panel of establishment hacks in the opinion section that gives an illusion of genuine debate by having Breda O'Brien as well as Una's ilk and some middle aged cranks making bad puns in the letter section. It's sad because they still have some solid journalists but the paper's focus hasn't been on news reporting for years.

Una's articles are usually poor (she came from fashion blogging) but I have to respect her commitment to the causes she believes in. That said Zappone making her the Chair of the LGBT strategy group smacked slightly of cronyism and was an example of the institutional Quango state that the Irish Times seems to be the official paper of and which most Irish people are sick of.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I stopped getting the Irish Times because of its focus on opinion columnists like Una Mullaly to the detriment of actual news reporting. Just in the last year they've gotten rid of Paddy Agnew, who did solid reporting from Italy for decades.

Instead now it's mainly press releases reported as news, a panel of establishment hacks in the opinion section that gives an illusion of genuine debate by having Breda O'Brien as well as Una's ilk and some middle aged cranks making bad puns in the letter section. It's sad because they still have some solid journalists but the paper's focus hasn't been on news reporting for years.

Una's articles are usually poor (she came from fashion blogging) but I have to respect her commitment to the causes she believes in. That said Zappone making her the Chair of the LGBT strategy group smacked slightly of cronyism and was an example of the institutional Quango state that the Irish Times seems to be the official paper of and which most Irish people are sick of.

I don't agree with everything expressed here but I do think Irish Times was better under Geralndine Kennedy than under subsequent editors. I didn't think Una did fashion blogging, I know Laura Kennedy did and still does beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

She's what my mother's generation would have called a dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Grayson wrote: »
    So every columnist that mentions Trump now has to talk about Rotherham?

You're the person who's obsessed with this. This is an issue with you, not her.

btw, you manage to get any of those sources you have been asked for?

Do you do anything else in this life other than be the guardian of all things left of centre on boards.ie?
    Do you have time to eat, drink, sleep, shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Chewbacca wrote: »
    She is a big bag of gee's.

Hairy gees?

Hairy gees?

No. Definitely baldy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

She's a <snip>

I disagree with most of the views of Una, Fintan O'Toole, and Breda O'Brien.

But I read their columns every week as they challenge my world view. It's a sign of a good newspaper if you ask me.

Reading only columnists you agree with is boring and can be dangerous. It gives you a warped sense that your opinion has to be right because every journalist you read agrees with you.

Reading Una's pieces reminds me that we are not all the same in society. That there are others out there like Una, Fintan and Breda and that their vote is as equal as mine. It's a sobering thought.

At this stage in the game, it would be Oliver J. Flanagan and Alice Glenn who would challenge the views of most Irish people. Irish "liberals" are the new conservatives. Their views are the consensus - and as the studies of John Horgan and others of Irish journalists have shown throughout the decades, Irish journalism has for a long time been ideologically aligned to "liberalism" - journalists are not exactly challenging their own consensus there. Only their inferiors should have their consensus challenged.

If the recent referenda really were a "revolution", Hannah Arendt's remark - 'The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.' - is particularly fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

The issue I have with Una is not the right-on, intolerant tripe she peddles - she's perfectly entitled to do so, it's the fact that she's spent years essentially writing the same bloody 4 columns.

Her 4 stock columns are:
    1. Men are Evil and Keep De Wimmin Down
    2. Immigrants are Great and are Much Better than Horrible White People
    3. Ireland is a Really Shït Country: Discuss
    4. Look How Cool I and My Cool Friends Are

If you look through her output here you will see that EVERY SINGLE ONE of her many, many columns are one of the four above.

Wouldn't it be nice if, for once, she wrote something a little different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

She could do with a good ride

Gravelly wrote: »

[*]Immigrants are Great and are Much Better than Horrible White People

I looked through good few articles and still didn't find that one. Any specific links?

meeeeh wrote: »
    I looked through good few articles and still didn't find that one. Any specific links?

Do your own donkey work.

Chewbacca wrote: »
    She is a big bag of gee's.
    She's a c unt
    She could do with a good ride

Gosh, I wonder why anyone would possibly think it's important to keep talking about women's rights and equality. That c unting gee-bag should shut up and get a ride and stop harping on about things.

Right lads?

Gravelly wrote: »
    Do your own donkey work.

It's your work to do. You made the accusation.

It's your work to do. You made the accusation.

It's not an accusation, it's a simple statement of fact. See link I included in original post.

Do you do anything else in this life other than be the guardian of all things left of centre on boards.ie?
    Do you have time to eat, drink, sleep, shop?

yep. I'm eating right now. I do work in bursts. About 30 minutes intense activity and then 5 minutes of distraction.

If you were that obsessed with my posting times you'd see that I don't post much in the evenings or weekends. I have better things to do than post here.

Plus, I've pointed it out before, I tend to just point out bullsh1t arguments. It's not so much that I advocate certain positions, I just really, really hate lazy stupid opinions/arguments that make no sense.

Anyways, you got anything to add to the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Gosh, I wonder why anyone would possibly think it's important to keep talking about women's rights and equality. That c unting gee-bag should shut up and get a ride and stop harping on about things.

Right lads?

As the person who started this thread, I agree with you. I'm disappointed that some posters have tried to drag it down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Grayson wrote: »
    yep. I'm eating right now. I do work in bursts. About 30 minutes intense activity and then 5 minutes of distraction.

If you were that obsessed with my posting times you'd see that I don't post much in the evenings or weekends. I have better things to do than post here.

Plus, I've pointed it out before, I tend to just point out bullsh1t arguments. It's not so much that I advocate certain positions, I just really, really hate lazy stupid opinions/arguments that make no sense.

Anyways, you got anything to add to the thread?

Yeah. Una Mullaly is a twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Very dissapointed thread title hasnt changed yet.

Advertisement