Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What washing powder does Una Mulally use?

Options
  • 05-06-2018 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else find her almost frighteningly dictatorial? Fair enough, she has her views and she's entitled to them and in some cases a lot of people probably agree with her.

But her whole attitude seems to be 'I'm right and everyone else is wrong' and she appears to be on a mission to try and shape society totally around her view of how things should be with no ability to view anything from any other angle but her own. As a journalist I find her very strident and blinkered, and very few of her articles recently seem to have any balance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I can alway tell if she wrote an article by the Headline title

She is forever having a chip on her shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

No, it's nice to have a strong voice with a focus on women's issues.

Not that "women's issues" is the only thing she covers. Seems to be a fine mix
    here tbh: https://www.irishtimes.com/profile/una-mullally-7.2276478

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Yes she's the worst of the worst of the feminazis the way she constantly plays the victim card is naesauting she just cant stand that anyone could possibly have a different view to her.

One thing i really hate is when she refers to herself and others like her as liberals they are anything but they are totalitarian lefties which isnt the same thing at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Mutant z wrote: »
    One thing i really hate is when she refers to herself and others like her as liberals they are anything but they are totalitarian lefties which isnt the same thing at all

I don't think she's liberal at all. She's actually got a very narrow view of things and is determined to impose it on everyone, and quite obviously looks down on those who don't agree with her or want the same things as her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I don't think she's liberal at all. She's actually got a very narrow view of things and is determined to impose it on everyone, and quite obviously looks down on those who don't agree with her or want the same things as her.

That’s what liberal means now...

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

She is excessively strident, blinkered and intolerant of dissent from the narrow righteous path on which she threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

She'll be delighted that she's hit the big time like Louise O'Neill with her own boards thread!

Herself and Aodhan O Riordan would make an excellent match they are as just as intolerant of opposing opinions as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

She writes opinion pieces, she is there to present her point of view. I don't particularly like her writting. I dont like Breda O'Brien either but I don't whine every time I disagree with them that they should present point of view more like mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Another example of people who think because they have a column they're famous and their bang drumming needs listening to.

Electric Picnic is on soon too, she'll be on about lack of female acts again. Just after she posts the article on lack of women working the bin lorries.

Wait...she writes for the Indo doesn't she? That is the bin lorry!

She certainly has a depressingly narrow range of concerns. It would be nice if once in a while she wrote about social justice issues rather than the latest right-on liberal rights for middle class people. Shockingly boring.

She used to present an alternative music programme on TG4 many years ago (Ceol ar an Imeall) so my first impressions of her were quite positive. It's unfortunate that she seems to have straightjacketed herself into her current ideology.

To the likes of Mulally no refugee is an illegal immigrant they are all fleeing persecution a very misleading and dishonest view but thats how it is when you're as agenda driven as she is.

meeeeh wrote: »
    She writes opinion pieces, she is there to present her point of view. I don't particularly like her writting. I dont like Breda O'Brien either but I don't whine every time I disagree with them that they should present point of view more like mine.

No one's 'whining'. We're commenting on what we feel is a dictatorial and intolerant attitude towards others by someone who writes in a national paper.

I don't know if I can face another one of these threads lads..

No one's 'whining'. We're commenting on what we feel is a dictatorial and intolerant towards others attitude.

Have you not read opinion pieces before? They intend to provoke and are usually at one and of the spectrum or the other on a topic.

Have you not read opinion pieces before? They intend to provoke and are usually at one and of the spectrum or the other on a topic.

Yes, and her attitude provokes me.

The problem is far too many of those of her mindset have inflicted the media and are drowning out alternate views its only ever their side of things that they want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

a dictatorial and intolerant towards others attitude.

Examples?

Although I would say it's difficult to appear tolerant "towards others attitude" when you're talking about equality and human rights issues. Those things tend to be binary. Either you think people should be treated fairly and equally, or you don't. It's not "lefty totalitarianism" if you have no time for those that don't.

Yes, and her attitude provokes me.

So you are intolerant to her attitude. Seems fair enough...you do exactly what you accuse her of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,111 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

She'll be delighted that she's hit the big time like Louise O'Neill with her own boards thread!

She probably started it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

The problem is far too many of those of her mindset have inflicted the media and are drowning out alternate views its only ever their side of things that they want to hear.

Breda O'brien has an opinion piece in the same newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

Why aren't they totalitarian "righties"?

I can't imagine the bould Úna, or indeed anybody given a job by the newspaper of the Protestant Ascendancy and Unionism that is The Irish Times, being an economic leftwinger.

Irish "liberalism" is a thoroughly rightwing ideology - all these individual "rights" are a felicitious distraction from social injustice and feed fully into capitalism's desire to make every individual a market, a target for products. The more individualism is promoted, the most consumerism is promoted. "Because I'm worth it".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

razorblunt wrote: »
    Wait...she writes for the Indo doesn't she? That is the bin lorry!

No she does not.

So you are intolerant to her attitude. Seems fair enough...you do exactly what you accuse her of.

If she had her way all those with a different opinion to her would be banned from the airwaves why would you have any sympathy for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

No one's 'whining'. We're commenting on what we feel is a dictatorial and intolerant attitude towards others by someone who writes in a national paper.

Just scanning through her articles. I can't see where she's like a dictator.

https://www.irishtimes.com/profile/una-mullally-7.2276478

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I disagree with most of the views of Una, Fintan O'Toole, and Breda O'Brien.

But I read their columns every week as they challenge my world view. It's a sign of a good newspaper if you ask me.

Reading only columnists you agree with is boring and can be dangerous. It gives you a warped sense that your opinion has to be right because every journalist you read agrees with you.

Reading Una's pieces reminds me that we are not all the same in society. That there are others out there like Una, Fintan and Breda and that their vote is as equal as mine. It's a sobering thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Will it have the excellent, witty title changes the the Louise O’Neill one has? :D

• Advertisement

Of course when there was actual sexual abuse of girls in Rotherham and Telford she was no where to be seen why doesnt she make herself useful and tweet about that or is the religion of peace out of bounds for self proclaimed feminists like Una Mulally.

Advertisement