Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 225: Whitaker vs Romero Sat June 9th 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Paully D wrote: »
    Go back to the old weigh-ins, please.

The fighters might like the new format but there's enough evidence there now to suggest it doesn't work. There were far less misses under the old format.

The old format is also a much better spectacle for the fans and IMO really adds to an event. I remember loving a Friday night before an event, settling in to watch the weigh-ins. Watching fighters step on the scale not knowing if they would make it or not, and the stare downs are so much better with the emotional fighters due to the cut.

To think we may never get another spectacular McGregor vs Mendes weigh-in night while yet fighters are missing weight constantly with earlier time is a crying shame.

I can't remember the last time I even tuned into a ceremonial weigh-in. It's pointless under this format.

Less misses, more brain damage. They can keep the early weigh ins optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

And 12-14 hours less rehydration time? No way.

The timing of the weigh ins isn't to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Main event still not sorted

30% purse cut is too much for the weight of a small rabbit poo

If whitaker has any balls he will say fight as agreed and he will vacate belt if he loses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

If whitaker has any balls he will say fight as agreed and he will vacate belt if he loses

If he has any brains he wont..

Bull****.

Why would Whitaker do that? Romero has missed weight for this fight and the last fight and Whitaker is the current champion. Whitaker showed up and made weight like a professional, Whitaker did everything by the book......... Romero now has to face the consequences of missing weight (getting his pay cut and not being able to win the title), also Romero shouldn't have even got a title fight off the Rockhold win considering he missed weight for that fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

They both just "weighed in" but sounds like it's still being sorted. Very, very odd. Whittaker says he's getting ready for a fight and leaving the other stuff with his team.

Rogan announced RDA-Covington as co-main still.

Looks like common sense has prevailed and the title fight is still on.

War Romero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Looks like common sense has prevailed and the title fight is still on.

War Romero

But he didnt make championship weight.

Is the issue with the early weigh in misses squarely on the fighter? I believe so. They know whats required

Dana said on fs1 it's still for the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The fighters might like the new format but there's enough evidence there now to suggest it doesn't work. There were far less misses under the old format

Shouldn't the fighters liking the format really be the key here though?

Sure the ceremonial weigh-ins can have that added edge of excitement, but it's still a case of ah balls is the fight on or cancelled once an over limit is hit?

We also have to remember USADA was only properly launched in 2015 so more fighters you'd have to think more would be missing without the help of some enablers in that time too.

Fighters should be punished more,Recently Mckenzie Dern was allowed weigh in at Flyweight to fight a Strawweight was f'n ridiculous she then moved up the rankings as did Darren Till after his close bout with Wonderboy...rewarded after insulting the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The fighters might like the new format but there's enough evidence there now to suggest it doesn't work.
    What evidence suggests they don't work?
    The early weigh in isn't supposed to make it easier to make weight, it's to make it easier to recover. It should realistically be no easier or harder to make weight at a different time. If fighters aren't getting up earlier to complete there cut, it's on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Just woke up ruined from last night's antics, not feeling the hangover yet since I'm so excited about this card.

Or I could still be drunk but winning's winning after all haha

Everyone sleeping on the Reem and I think he'll keep his distance and take Blaydes apart slowly with timing, composure and power. Similar story with what Arlovski should do to Tuivasa.

Had Romero to go to a decision win though with missing weight he is bound to be crawling come Round 4 although I'd say he will show more staying power/cardio than ever.

Also have Holm over Anderson as does the rest of the sensible world. As for CM Punk, I don't give one eff about that and a disgrace for those that are buying a ppv event have to be paying for a celeb to likely get hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Bobbys gonna put on a clinic now, romero killing himself to make weight. Talking about 205 all week, id love to see him at it tbf. Chaps a freak but mr time catching up, cant be doing them weight cuts at 41. Surprised he came up short though a lb didnt seem that hard to cut in 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

The best way to stop fighters from missing weight in title fights is very simple. Scrap the championship weight requirement. I always found it a little silly that they can fight up the entire rankings being a lb either side of the weight class requirement in every fight but when it comes to the title fight it has to be the exact weight specified. Seems absolutely unnecessary and just a stupid business move all around putting title fights in jeopardy for no particular reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    The best way to stop fighters from missing weight in title fights is very simple. Scrap the championship weight requirement. I always found it a little silly that they can fight up the entire rankings being a lb either side of the weight class requirement in every fight but when it comes to the title fight it has to be the exact weight specified. Seems absolutely unnecessary and just a stupid business move all around putting title fights in jeopardy for no particular reason.

The 1lb concession is to prevent fighters from missing weight in regular fights. If they were to scrap it. It would mean all fights need to be bang on, so championship fights are unchanged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

looking forward to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Mellor wrote: »
    The 1lb concession is to prevent fighters from missing weight in regular fights. If they were to scrap it. It would mean all fights need to be bang on, so championship fights are unchanged

I meant allow the 1lb concession in title fights aswell. Fighters are already cutting ungodly amounts already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

My brothers in Chicago for a J1 and the lucky bsatard happens to be there for this event. The jealousy is killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

Impressive from Dan Ige there, 50 odd seconds. Yer man kinda got his a$$ kicked in front of his home fans too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

nice quick one to start the night

guida oliveira next up
    gwan clay

really fancy guida here, bit surprised hes the underdog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I am so looking forward to this, Olivera is a quiet maniac haha, wicked fight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

Balls.

Nice, mr. guillotine strikes again

easy for oliv :(

two homeboys out of there in a little over 3 mins total

last of the homeboys is cm punk :eek:

cant imagine pettis benavidez will finish in the first though

What the hell: judges are mental