Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 225: Whitaker vs Romero Sat June 9th 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Yoel a lb over, has 2 hours to lose it. The lads were nearly a bit slow with the towel. Nearly got an eye full of the other soldier of god.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

2 hours for 1lb, its doable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭tinpib

ASOT wrote: »
    Yoel a lb over, has 2 hours to lose it. The lads were nearly a bit slow with the towel. Nearly got an eye full of the other soldier of god.

I wouldn't be quick to blame the two lads for it, it looked to me like Yoel removed his cacks without due care and attention, was bordering on reckless removing of cacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He could prob lose 3-4 lbs if he launched his Cuban missile.

Anyways I hope Yoel makes weight, kills the tension when the strap isn't on the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lukker- wrote: »
    Anyways I hope Yoel makes weight, kills the tension when the strap isn't on the line

Would be twice in his last 2 title fights that he'd have missed weight

callaway92 wrote: »

I had forgotten that was for the strap as he’s not the interim champ now

callaway92 wrote: »

His age has to be catching up with him id say.

His age has to be catching up with him id say.

Yeah in fairness that’s the only time he’s missed weight but it has to be harder at his age

Yeah in fairness that’s the only time he’s missed weight but it has to be harder at his age

Hes some unit in fairness, I warmed to him abit after all the bisping videos. Still hope Bobby puts on a clinic. Hes some size aswell watching embedded, everyone 100% slept on him when he moved up weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Happy enough to watch Punk just to hear the pop when he walks out.

Hes some unit in fairness, I warmed to him abit after all the bisping videos. Still hope Bobby puts on a clinic. Hes some size aswell watching embedded, everyone 100% slept on him when he moved up weight.

Bobby has certainly grown into his new weight class. As has RDA imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭tinpib

185.2 for Romero now.

FFS, that's a balls. But he has missed weight before so only himself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭xtal191

UFC is turning into a farce with all these missed weights, needs sorting

xtal191 wrote: »

More weight classes is the only realistic solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

They started weigh ins at 8.40am
    Seems so arbitrary. Yoel would have made it if the weighs were later. Guys get no extra chance to cut if they wake up heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Surely Dana can say **** it and keep is as a title fight as he did with the Khabib v Ragin Al title fight in Brooklyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

xtal191 wrote: »

It's not UFC's fault.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

More weight classes is the only realistic solution.

Is it? or will people still cut large amounts even then?

I'd say they'll still cut large amounts.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Is it? or will people still cut large amounts even then?

I'd say they'll still cut large amounts.

Right now they have 2 big holes between classes. They should scrap WW and add a 165 and 175 lb division, and also a 195 lb division. The 15 lb gaps mean you have guys really worried they are gonna be undersized for their natural weight class, this normalizes things a bit.

• Advertisement

The doctors also stopped him cutting after an hour, if he had been given a little bit longer he prob would have made it. At the same time, he couldn't walk on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Right now they have 2 big holes between classes. They should scrap WW and add a 165 and 175 lb division, and also a 195 lb division. The 15 lb gaps mean you have guys really worried they are gonna be undersized for their natural weight class, this normalizes things a bit.

Scrapping welterweight would have the added bonus (from Dana's perspective) of removing Woodley as champ. I can't see any reason why he wouldn't do it...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If it were just people from those two divisions missing weight you could say adding another division or two would help, but it seems fighters are missing weight from all divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

The doctors also stopped him cutting after an hour, if he had been given a little bit longer he prob would have made it. At the same time, he couldn't walk on his own.

The doctors weren't even stopping him. they were with him and didn't stop anything. It was an exec from the Illinois commission who stopped him and told him to weigh in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Micheal Clark

UFC 224 was promised to be a nail bitting event. But unfortunately all the load was given to the women in UFC (they did a good job). Otherwise there was a great match lined up "Khabib vs Tony" My friend bought tickets to watch this match at an early discount rate. But he was unlucky as tony got injured at the 11th hour. I have planned to Watch UFC Online for Free with a Ivacy vpnUndoubtely this is a great Fight Card featureing Romero and Whittaker. Aditionally there is my favourite Holy Holms performing at the PPV.I want CM Punk to win his match and prove he still has what it takes. I really loved him when he was in WWE.

Thanks Micheal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Gintonious wrote: »
    2 hours for 1lb, its doable anyway.

I spoke too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

It really is a tough situation for the UFC. On the one hand they should make it as easy as possible for their fighters to make weight by having weigh in times that facilitate their needs, seriously the amount of missed weights since they changed the times is unreal.

However the fighters themselves have months to prepare for their fight and they know what weight is expected, so the likes of Till and Dern have 0 excuse and shouldn't have been allowed to fight. But for 90 grams it really does seem excessive.

Ultimately the UFC need to weigh up (geddit?) what's more important to them, not having fights fall through last minute, or setting a precedent that you need to make weight.

The culture of cutting is by and large to blame. You don't have that as much in boxing. IMO it's a holdover from wrestling, and now people just feel at a disadvantage if they don't do it. The difference is wrestlers aren't taking strikes to head the next day. Although plenty have died as a result of cutting in wrestling too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Go back to the old weigh-ins, please.

The fighters might like the new format but there's enough evidence there now to suggest it doesn't work. There were far less misses under the old format.

The old format is also a much better spectacle for the fans and IMO really adds to an event. I remember loving a Friday night before an event, settling in to watch the weigh-ins. Watching fighters step on the scale not knowing if they would make it or not, and the stare downs are so much better with the emotional fighters due to the cut.

To think we may never get another spectacular McGregor vs Mendes weigh-in night while yet fighters are missing weight constantly with earlier time is a crying shame.

I can't remember the last time I even tuned into a ceremonial weigh-in. It's pointless under this format.

Advertisement