Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure mounts on Kathleen Kennedy to step down as head of Lucas Film?

Options
  • 02-06-2018 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭

So with the poor box office on Solo the many production issues and firings on some of the movies more and more prominent people are starting to call for her to step down, this guy John Campia who is buddy’s with Mark Hamill’s son and gets to go to all the premiers has made a video calling for her to step down and also Collider put out a video about it also l. So should she go? I think she should!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

more prominent people are starting to call for her to step down

this guy John Campia who is buddy’s with Mark Hamill’s son

Yeah I doubt she's too worried mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

this guy John Campia who is buddy’s with Mark Hamill’s son

When you put it that way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well I think the pressure is mounting on her Solo is failing The Last Jedi was pretty poorly received in some quarters. The constant firing of directors. Btw you might laugh at this guy but he has a lot to loose by pissing off Disney and Lucas Film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Does this really need its own thread? Haven't we been discussing this in the TLJ, Solo and future SW movies threads for the last 6 months? Some dude on Youtube who met Mark Hamill's son is saying it now - so what?

There is nothing sadder than the fact that people see some random YouTube video and see it as legitimate fodder for discussion. This is just more click bait trash that doesn't deserve to be watched never mind taken for some startling insight. I once saw All Pacino, does that mean that I have some insight into his career?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Why would she step down? Other than Solo, The latest Star Wars movies have been the Top Grossing movies in the US since 2015

Force Awakens - $936,662,225
    Rogue One - $532,177,324
    Last Jedi - $620,181,382

All of them high up on the Worldwide list and even the Top Grossing Lists if you include inflation.

You think Disney and Lucas are going to kick her out because the minority didn't like the movies?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    You think Disney and Lucas are going to kick her out because the minority didn't like the movies?

To be fair, some guy who knows Mark Hamill’s son said they should. Financial success, critical acclaim and generally positive audience reception (by standard industry metrics) are secondary considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I loved The Last Jedi, I can't have been the only one?

To be fair, some guy who knows Mark Hamill’s son said they should. Financial success, critical acclaim and generally positive audience reception (by standard industry metrics) are secondary considerations.

Oh my bad that changes everything.

Take the piss all you want, but mark my word you cannot run a studio and have multiple director firings in the case of Solo 85% of the movie shot and decide you don’t like it! Or in the case of Rogue One where they bring in Director Tony Gilroy to do re-writes and reshoots and in an interview said the situation was so dire all you could do was improve the situation!
    Btw other sites like Collider have also put the Solo failure at her feet.
    Btw Darko didn’t you say you had no problem recasting an iconic role of Princess Lea! Now that’s something to laugh at :D

• Advertisement

You bring shame to the Snakes of this world brother!

I loved them all.

Take the piss all you want, but mark my word you cannot run a studio and have multiple director firings in the case of Solo 85% of the movie shot and decide you don’t like it! Or in the case of Rogue One where they bring in Director Tony Gilroy to do re-writes and reshoots and in an interview said the situation was so dire all you could do was improve the situation!

Btw Darko didn’t you say you had no problem recasting an iconic role of Princess Lea! Now that’s something to laugh at :D

Even with all the in house issues ultimately all of the films but Solo so far were box Office successes. And to be fair to Solo its the 6th best grossing movie in 2018 in the US and up there in most European countries. In fact it only slips down the list when you include Asian countries to the Worldwide list. Obviously not meeting the expectations they most likely had for it but hardly failing by industry standards.

So what does that tell you? Firstly tells us those who hated the movies are in the minority and no one really cares what they think. It also tells you the Average Joe could care less about what happens behind the scenes and it also tells you All of the Movies she has been part of in the Franchise have been successes and made money.

So if Disney feel that someone else can replace her and make them more money then she will be replaced but right now be hard to throw her out based on the failing of Star Wars movies. Unless like you and sites like Collider they see the "Failure" of one movie out of 4 so far good enough to throw her out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dear god YouTube is full of sh*te these days, every idiot and his mother trying to scramble to relevancy off the back of tenuous links or pie in the sky tattle passed off as insight.

The nontroversy over Star Wars is getting beyond tedious at this stage. If the Last Jedi fans aren't Disney shills, oh it must be the SJW hordes at the doors of this precious franchise.

I remember when Star Wars was this 3 film franchise you might see every Christmas if you were lucky. Maybe you'd get a VHS copy if you were really posh. Now it's a f*cking cultural battleground, heads must roll cos the most frivolous commercial SciFi franchise is only making some billions, not all of the billions... blah blah Mary Sue. Give my head peace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s the best Star Wars film as far as I’m concerned (at least on par with Empire, but I personally prefer Johnson’s film), and I say that as earnestly and honestly as I possibly can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Prediction:

Kathleen Kennedy will announce she's stepping down as head of LucasFilm in the lead up the release of Ep IX.

Rian won't get his trilogy.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Dear god YouTube is full of sh*te these days, every idiot and his mother trying to scramble to relevancy off the back of tenuous links or pie in the sky tattle passed off as insight.

The nontroversy over Star Wars is getting beyond tedious at this stage. If the Last Jedi fans aren't Disney shills, oh it must be the SJW hordes at the doors of this precious franchise.

I remember when Star Wars was this 3 film franchise you might see every Christmas if you were lucky. Maybe you'd get a VHS copy if you were really posh. Now it's a f*cking cultural battleground, heads must roll cos the most frivolous commercial SciFi franchise is only making some billions, not all of the billions... blah blah Mary Sue. Give my head peace.

Yeah there’s still people on Twitter blabbering on about Rian Johnson ruining Star Wars, directly tweeting at him. It’s completely hysterical.

Personally, If I don’t like a film, I grumble a few times and move on quickly - did it with Rogue One, will do it again with Solo. Better for my sanity TBH. Would rather divert my energy celebrating this wonderful medium of cinema than spending countless hours caught up on the ones I don’t like.

Prediction:

Kathleen Kennedy will announce she's stepping down as head of LucasFilm in the lead up the release of Ep IX.

Rian won't get his trilogy.

I think so too she is a big Driving forse behind the #MeToo movement and could use that as an excuse to step down from her role. Episode 9 which is the next scheduled Star Wars Movie doesn’t come out until the end of 2019. So you could be right

Something to laugh it is someone who thinks that the ramblings of some nobody youtuber is worthy of serious discussion. Trying to imply that he has an insight into the behind the scenes of productions or anything interesting to say due to the fact the he may have met Mark Hamill is laughable. Kennedy may have seen a couple of issues thus far but recognising a troubled production and taking steps to fix it at the time rather than fix it in post is actually seen as a positive thing. She has made billions for Disney and at the end of the day that is what matters.

As someone who isn't a rabid fan of the children's film series Star Wars all I want is the best possible film and if that involves recasting then I won't be crying like so many grown men are when ever anyone suggests replacing Fisher. It's funny how Star Wars fans have no issue with a dead actor being brought back by mediocre CGI but when it was suggested for Fisher they were in arms. The hypocrisy is startling.

Not sure how she can use it as an excuse to step down unless it turns out she is really a man in disguise and has been up to no good in hotel rooms.

Just to add, it's funny how whenever another studio has issues with a couple of films all the internet experts aren't out in force with opinions and insights. Is it because it's to do with Star Wars or is it because some men feel that a woman shouldn't be making decisions about the children's film series they love?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

is it because some men feel that a woman shouldn't be making decisions about the children's film series they love?
    Isn't it very easy in 2018 to write off any criticism of a woman in power by men as sexist? Very easy. Almost discussion stiflingly easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Kennedy is a driving gorse so she’s doomed.

Isn't it very easy in 2018 to write off any criticism of a woman in power by men as sexist? Very easy. Almost discussion stiflingly easy.

What is the criticism though? A film she produced only made 155 million dollars its opening weekend and had a couple of behind the scenes issues? Far as I can see she has made billions for Disney and one stumble is hardly the end of the world.

Why is it that when a Michael Bay franchise entry is less than amazing it's never the studio heads who are blamed? Can you think of another studio exec bar Kennedy who routinely comes in for criticism or has YouTube experts calling for their firing? Very few billion dollar franchises have a woman behind them, in fact Star Wars is probably the only one and it is also the only one where when the fans are upset they call for the exec to be fired rather than blame the film maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Haven't the male film makers of these new Star Wars received plenty of criticism too? You can't fire a director after the film is made, but the studio exec can be.

What is the criticism though? A film she produced only made 155 million dollars its opening weekend and had a couple of behind the scenes issues? Far as I can see she has made billions for Disney and one stumble is hardly the end of the world.

Why is it that when a Michael Bay franchise entry is less than amazing it's never the studio heads who are blamed? Can you think of another studio exec bar Kennedy who routinely comes in for criticism or has YouTube experts calling for their firing? Very few billion dollar franchises have a woman behind them, in fact Star Wars is probably the only one and it is also the only one where when the fans are upset they call for the exec to be fired rather than blame the film maker.

Yep, Jon Berg & Geoff Johns at DCEU after BvS & Justice League. Nerd rage is extremely vitriolic and not just aimed at females.

And saying that Rian Johnson is not getting just as much flack as KK is just you not paying attention :)

Haven't the male film makers of these new Star Wars received plenty of criticism too? You can't fire a director after the film is made, but the studio exec can be.

Point is that no one calla for a execs head to roll when the latest Transformer film isn't all that good but when it's Star Wars fans are out for Kennedy's blood.

Anyways, anyone looking on subjectively can see that she has done a great job. She has made billions in profit and created a renewed interest in Star Wars attracting a whole new generation. She's refused to waiver and hasn't been afraid to admit that mistakes were made and as someone who thinks that the Farce Awakens was an awful film and the Last Jedi a tedious slog, the last person I blame for it is Kennedy as clearly she is giving fans what they want.

Solo is an odd one, threads were full of "real fans" telling the world how they wouldn't watch it because its not Harrison "I can play one role" Ford starring. And yet anyone I know who has seen it bar two people have really liked it. The two who disliked it are raving fanboys who think that Star Wars is something more than a lazy rip off/ combination of Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress and Flash Gordon.

My little bother has loved all four Star Wars films under Kennedy and what many people forget is that at the end of the day that is the target audience. It's not 40 year old men who think that because they can read box office mojo they are suddenly experts in Hollywood financing, but rather 10 year old boys and girls. Based on the feedback from the target audience I'd say Kennedy is doing a great job creating kids films with a bit of wit and a spark that many lack.

Yep, Jon Berg & Geoff Johns at DCEU after BvS & Justice League. Nerd rage is extremely vitriolic and not just aimed at females.

The level of vitriol aimed at them is far less than at Kennedy. I doubt most people would know who they are but Kennedy is being mentioned all over he place by over grown babies upset that a children's films series isn't appealing to 40 year old men.
    And saying that Rian Johnson is not getting just as much flack as KK is just you not paying attention

I never said he didn't get as much but criticism leveled at the director is par on course. They are the face of the film to a degree but like with Kennedy little of it is deserved and this comes from someone who disliked The Last Jedi but realises that it is a kids film and maybe I'm not the target audience .

The level of vitriol aimed at them is far less than at Kennedy. I doubt most people would know who they are but Kennedy is being mentioned all over he place by over grown babies upset that a children's films series isn't appealing to 40 year old men.

I never said he didn't get as much but criticism leveled at the director is par on course. They are the face of the film to a degree but like with Kennedy little of it is deserved and this comes from someone who disliked The Last Jedi but realises that it is a kids film and maybe I'm not the target audience .

It was less because there are a lot less DC fans around than Star Wars fans & Star Wars makes exponentially more headlines than DC content.

Also, Star Wars nuts tend to be just a tad more slightly unhinged than other Nerdhordes.

Did you not notice the incredible amount of stick George Lucas got for the Prequels & he created everything about Star Wars those guys love?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

it is a kids film

Christ, i hate when people drop this excuse when excusing the short comings of movie's. It's not a kids movie, it's a movie suitable for all ages. There are plenty of "kids movies" in the past that are amazing, a franchise of this size (And the DC universe) should reach the same heights, considering the amount of money spent, there is no excuse.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Didn't George always say they were for the 12 year old in all of us? They are not adult movies and I don't think its reasonable for dudes in their 40s to expect them to be made just for them.

Advertisement