Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catastrophic condition of roads in Cork city (pic heavy thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

it's in this state for like three years at least... crazy going over this at 50km/h ... will this ever be fixed? probably not by the looks of it.

20200116-111109.jpg

20200110-143606.jpg

this still fascinates me... few months after resurfacing, it sunk and this is how they fixed it... Third world country s**thole type of repair.

20200110-145121.jpg

20200110-145130.jpg

Will cork look presentable and in "usable" condition when it comes to roads in 5-10 years? Not a hope. Absolutely not. Roads in Cork city are like Bus Éireann ... it's a lost cause... Forever a kip.

No matter where I go, southside, northside or city center I keep slaloming around something on the road... It's a challenge. I always have to be aware and watch the road... Horrible place, absolute s**thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Diabhalta wrote: »
    well the council isn't exactly doing a lot to make sure this is done properly. There should be a certain procedure that will overlook the quality of the work done. Seems to me that they don't care so it is kinda their fault too.

As I said;
    It is done under license from the council but the majority simply don't have the resources to manage the process properly, and that's assuming a license was applied for...
    Funding for road resurfacing comes from central government for the most part, then from rates and local property tax. Local TDs will be calling to your door soon with the election coming up, so you can lobby them or lobby your local councillor to increase either rates or lpt or both.

So did you ask any canvassers or TD's for more funding for the roads in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Will cork look presentable and in "usable" condition when it comes to roads in 5-10 years? Not a hope. Absolutely not. Roads in Cork city are like Bus Éireann ... it's a lost cause... Forever a kip.

No matter where I go, southside, northside or city center I keep slaloming around something on the road... It's a challenge. I always have to be aware and watch the road... Horrible place, absolute s**thole.

First time in this thread but be thankful you aren't out in cork county. Road conditions are far worse and you hit holes at far greater speed doing much more damage. The road outside our house is constantly flooded and has craters about 8 inches deep hidden in the water. The N73 nearby also is less than the width of two trucks and it is one of the busiest roads in the area with an above average rate of HGV traffic. Rocks are regularly pulled down off the ditch and into the path of cars. This causes people to swerve at speed towards other oncoming traffic to avoid it. And it's been this way for years but the council will not do anything about it despite lots of land being CPO'd years ago. It is incredibly dangerous.

Is there anything people can do?

• Advertisement

landcrzr wrote: »
    As I said;
    It is done under license from the council but the majority simply don't have the resources to manage the process properly, and that's assuming a license was applied for...
    Funding for road resurfacing comes from central government for the most part, then from rates and local property tax.

So did you ask any canvassers or TD's for more funding for the roads in your area?

to be honest I don't really care where the problem is...

It's like when you buy a new car and it turns out there's something wrong due to bad design/materials/technology used... You don't go after the reasons why it's like that. All you know you wasted money on something that's bad. And you're pissed off.. you could have bought a different car but it's late.

Same with horrible roads in Cork. I look at my payslip and see all the deductions, then I drive to work so they can deduct the money and I am slaloming the whole time I drive there. I don't care what's causing this along the way, they are all obviously a bunch of inbred imbeciles. All I see is totally destroyed roads and there is nothing I can do.

I emailed two TD's last summer, got no reply whatsoever. I gave up. It seems to me that there is only one solution to this problem, but you need more people to do this. Water charges have been defeated, is it possible to get thousands of people to protest against the sh**y roads in cork? I have no idea...

it seems to me that the only solution (for me personally) is to get rid of the passenger car and get a Baja truck... not practical at all, so some Nissan Patrol will have to do.. something with big wheels and a bigger suspension (with more travel) ...

or get a Hummer and accidentaly back up into the city hall... maybe they would wake up and finally do something. What a waste of oxygen they are.

...so less than two weeks later I am looking at this.

same as before... no change whatsoever... the whole area is just bad and needs to be resurfaced. Coming back every two weeks fixing it isn't a solution obviously. Like I really don't get this... how hard it is for them to understand that they are wasting their time and money doing stupid stuff like this.

20200215-154739.jpg

20200215-154722.jpg

end of Sunday's well road resurfaced? Nice! North Mall completely resurfaced? Nice! That bit outside English Market on Grand parade resurfaced? NICE!!!

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/cork-roads-60m-upgrade-2020-17452369

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Capra wrote: »
    First time in this thread but be thankful you aren't out in cork county. Road conditions are far worse and you hit holes at far greater speed doing much more damage. The road outside our house is constantly flooded and has craters about 8 inches deep hidden in the water. The N73 nearby also is less than the width of two trucks and it is one of the busiest roads in the area with an above average rate of HGV traffic. Rocks are regularly pulled down off the ditch and into the path of cars. This causes people to swerve at speed towards other oncoming traffic to avoid it. And it's been this way for years but the council will not do anything about it despite lots of land being CPO'd years ago. It is incredibly dangerous.

Is there anything people can do?
    I think they're (councils in general) are doing risk assessments of paths and roads so as to reduce the level of them being successfully sued. Worth a shot maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    I think they're (councils in general) are doing risk assessments of paths and roads so as to reduce the level of them being successfully sued. Worth a shot maybe.

Is it just that people won't go to the lengths to sue them?

If anyone's ever out West Cork way I've never seen roads so bad. And the councils idea of fixing potholes is dumping tarmac into them and speeding off. I need to take some photos for this thread and get it off my chest!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Roads all over the city and county are in absolute bits. Its something I've paid more attention to lately as I'm doing more mileage. Its either sub standard repairs or problems with the quality of patchwork done after laying services in towns. Horrendous tripe to cycle on too

Peter T wrote: »
    Roads all over the city and county are in absolute bits. Its something I've paid more attention to lately as I'm doing more mileage. Its either sub standard repairs or problems with the quality of patchwork done after laying services in towns. Horrendous tripe to cycle on too

No excuse for most of it. I can understand it around some towns out this way like Bandon and Clonakilty for the moment due to flood works but you can nearly guarantee that it’ll all be patched up when finished rather than completely resurfaced as it should be.

I do a fair few miles around the city as well and they’re no better there. Mad to drive out east though and there are velvety smooth roads out there unlike anywhere I’ve seen in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭corks finest

brimeh wrote: »
    No excuse for most of it. I can understand it around some towns out this way like Bandon and Clonakilty for the moment due to flood works but you can nearly guarantee that it’ll all be patched up when finished rather than completely resurfaced as it should be.

I do a fair few miles around the city as well and they’re no better there. Mad to drive out east though and there are velvety smooth roads out there unlike anywhere I’ve seen in Cork.

Lads said it before,lived all over including eastern Europe,most countries are better than us ref roads, we're after going backwards,the road service in the 6 counties would shame our wasters,both workers and management, especially management,a pot hole gets fixed in Derry ( lived there 20 yrs) never comes back NEVER,espeically on the motorways,
    main roads.
    Around housing estates they'd put our clowns to bed, difference being civil servants can get sacked,management can get moved/ sacked/ demoted unlike our jobs for the boys/life down here,but the most important point I'm trying to make is - they have pride in their work ,no shovel patting crap up there

fixed, already sinking again after like 3 days.. neverending story really.

20200224-133803.jpg

this whole area obviously requires resurfacing, that's kinda obvious even to totally stupid people.

20200224-133812.jpg

20200224-133818.jpg

20200224-133831.jpg

20200224-133839.jpg

congratulations, it's a bump! so basically a reversed pothole and because you don't want to drive over it, you go around it.

20200226-150521.jpg

thousands of cars use this road on daily basis. 202 bus route...

I wonder if they took Tim Cook for a spin on this road when he was here recently visiting Apple. They probably pulled down the blinds in them Cadillac Escalades to make sure he can't see anything.

Place looks like a warzone, what a disgrace.

20200224-122023.jpg

Churchfield industrial estate...

People's republic of destroyed Cork.

20200224-121452.jpg

20200224-121517.jpg

20200224-121632.jpg

Churchfield industrial estate...

People's republic of destroyed Cork.

<Images removed>

Awful

Lads said it before,lived all over including eastern Europe,most countries are better than us ref roads, we're after going backwards,the road service in the 6 counties would shame our wasters,both workers and management, especially management,a pot hole gets fixed in Derry ( lived there 20 yrs) never comes back NEVER,espeically on the motorways,
    main roads.
    Around housing estates they'd put our clowns to bed, difference being civil servants can get sacked,management can get moved/ sacked/ demoted unlike our jobs for the boys/life down here,but the most important point I'm trying to make is - they have pride in their work ,no shovel patting crap up there

Worst part is, they must have a 'proper' crew that do a good job in comparison to the normal workers.

I live on a road that the West Cork Rally will be going past in a few weeks and there's been potholes repaired in the last week or so both on a section of road where the rally cars will go and a road directly off the course. There's a completely different job done on the road where the rally goes. Will go out and take some photos tomorrow. Mindblowing difference between the 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

MacCurtain Street is in an absolutely appalling state now. It was bad before all the waterworks but it's even worse now. And no sign of them resurfacing it with the construction now begun on the hotel across from the Leisureplex. They resurfaced all of Lower Glanmire then stopped right at the junction at the Leisureplex where the street is literally falling apart. I don't get it.

Other appalling streets I see every day on the way to work include Camden Place and the Clontarf st junction next to the bus station. Huge holes in all of them.

Disgraceful shiít for a city centre.

anybody fancy a burst tyre? Imagine hitting it full speed on a bicycle. I would sue the sht out them degenerates.

...somebody should be locked up for this. It's not normal.

20200223-135115.jpg

Nothing will ever change. My prediction is that this place will still be a kip in 5 years. Mark my words. I'll quote this post in 2025.

2020-03-01-20-15-32.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

interesting that the vast majority of the pictures I have see in the last few pages are of roads on the northside....neglected, as always :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

leahyl wrote: »
    interesting that the vast majority of the pictures I have see in the last few pages are of roads on the northside....neglected, as always :mad:

Seriously? Take off the Tin Foil hat there kid, roads aren't great all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

anybody fancy a burst tyre? Imagine hitting it full speed on a bicycle. I would sue the sht out them degenerates.

20200223-135115.jpg

Eh, imagine hitting this on a motorbike or scooter...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Seriously? Take off the Tin Foil hat there kid, roads aren't great all over the country.

I live in Cork, which is what this thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

leahyl wrote: »
    I live in Cork, which is what this thread is about.

Fine, ill rephrase. Take off the Tin Foil hat there kid, roads aren't great all over Cork. Its nothing to do with the northside which actually gets more funding per capita due to it being a "disadvantaged" area, nothing neglected about the facilities up there like playgrounds, pitches and sports amenities, swimming pools etc.

• Advertisement

20200223-135115.jpg

Where is that? No wonder we are paying for compo claims

Advertisement