Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

so when are we going to know when games are played officially? whats the hold up at this stage ffs, the silence is deafening.

Tom Ryan DG

“It’s directly one for the Munster Council, for them to decide"

We can expect to play our home games away next summer as the other munster counties will (as they did last year) make sure to put us at a disadvantage in their own interests. These are that same people that blocked us using Nolan Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Never seen a group of people so adept at passing the buck.

An absolute farce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Paraic Fanning was interviewed on Colin Parkinson’s podcast today and said he’s confident our games will be in either Walsh Park or Fraher field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Never seen a group of people so adept at passing the buck.

An absolute farce

The GAA regularly gives itself a collective pat on the back about how it's a democracy, which is grand. The problem is that this allows those in authority to give themselves a free pass when it suits them. It's the will of the membership, so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

We have serious depth in the squad now, last year was a disaster in every sense but if anything 1B might do us a favor this year to blood new lads. Personally i feel if fit Darragh Fives should be in the team fantastic player who's career has been hampered so much by injury. Noticed nobody mentioning Coughlan or Devine, are both not on the panel anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

We have serious depth in the squad now, last year was a disaster in every sense but if anything 1B might do us a favor this year to blood new lads. Personally i feel if fit Darragh Fives should be in the team fantastic player who's career has been hampered so much by injury. Noticed nobody mentioning Coughlan or Devine, are both not on the panel anymore?

Coughlan retired from inter county, Devine stepped away for work reasons. I wouldn’t be surprised if he reappeared later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Coughlan retired and Devine can’t commit due to work commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Coughlan retired and Devine has opted out for work reasons.

Coughlan would never have had an intercounty career only for the faith McGrath had in him going back to his DLS colleges days. To be fair he was drafted in at a time when we had no options at all at fullback and managed to plug a gap there for a few years while getting fierce protection from 'the system'. He probably foresaw that Fanning had a different way of working and knew the game was up.

Devines physical presence is a loss but the chance is there now for someone like DJ Foran to step up, a big burly ball winning forward, theres room for one on every good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Coughlan would never have had an intercounty career only for the faith McGrath had in him going back to his DLS colleges days. To be fair he was drafted in at a time when we had no options at all at fullback and managed to plug a gap there for a few years while getting fierce protection from 'the system'. He probably foresaw that Fanning had a different way of working and knew the game was up.

He missed sitting his exams last year due to his broken hand and can't afford for the same to happen this year. Nothing to do with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

B Nolan
    S McNulty
    C Prunty
    N Connors
    M O'Brien
    T De Burca
    M Walsh
    K Moran
    S Roche
    C Roche
    M Kearney
    J Prendergast
    T Ryan
    Ste Bennett
    P Curran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Strong team again. Only one change in 1-7 cause of Shane fives injury. Was looking at an alternate 15 from players not available or not selected.

Soky
    Shane fives
    Conor gleeson
    Dara lyons
    Phil Mahony
    Austin
    Dara fives
    Barron
    K bennett
    Dj foran
    Paudie Mahony
    Brian halloran
    Shane bennett
    Maurice
    Dunford

Not bad at all, and I'm sure I've probably missed one or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Where is Donie Breathnach these days lads? Did he throw his lot in for a run with the hurlers and opt out from the footballers entirely? Very talented footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,903 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully a good crowd travel up too Port Laoise on Sunday

Looking forward too it never been too a game up there before. Strong team named from us and hopefully another big win

Footballers also in action the same time vs Limerick in Rathkeale

It's one thing for you to think a player isn't up to it. It's quite another for you to assume the player himself thinks he is not up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Same As wrote: »
    Where is Donie Breathnach these days lads? Did he throw his lot in for a run with the hurlers and opt out from the footballers entirely? Very talented footballer.

Not involved in either panel.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Strong team again. Only one change in 1-7 cause of Shane fives injury. Was looking at an alternate 15 from players not available or not selected.

Soky
    Shane fives
    Conor gleeson
    Dara lyons
    Phil Mahony
    Austin
    Dara fives
    Barron
    K bennett
    Dj foran
    Paudie Mahony
    Brian halloran
    Shane bennett
    Maurice
    Dunford

Not bad at all, and I'm sure I've probably missed one or two

Jesus if you told me that was the team for Sunday at first glance I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid

Same As wrote: »

He left the football panel last year of his own accord. He’s working in Dublin as far as I know

deiseach wrote: »
    It's one thing for you to think a player isn't up to it. It's quite another for you to assume the player himself thinks he is not up to it.

How many times do you remember him actually get the ball into his hand and strike it in 4 seasons? The bizzarrest of inter county hurling careers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

How many times do you remember him actually get the ball into his hand and strike it in 4 seasons? The bizzarrest of inter county hurling careers...

How many saves does Stephen Cluxton make per season?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

By that criteria you must not rate Michael Walsh?

• Advertisement

That's not the point. You don't rate him, fine. But the manner in which you have looked into his head in order to work out what motivated his decision to pack it in is...bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Anyone know anything about parking in portlaoise tomorrow? Presume it’s going to be a handy enough spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Anyone know anything about parking in portlaoise tomorrow? Presume it’s going to be a handy enough spot?

I remember the last time I was there in the mid 2000's for a qualifier match, some cnut boxed me in. Was a double header with a football match after the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

KevIRL wrote: »
    Was looking at an alternate 15 from players not available or not selected.

Soky
    Shane fives
    Conor gleeson
    Dara lyons
    Phil Mahony
    Austin
    Dara fives
    Barron
    K bennett
    Dj foran
    Paudie Mahony
    Brian halloran
    Shane bennett
    Maurice
    Dunford

On top of the team picked for Sunday and the alternate team named by KevIrl, you can add Jordan Henley (who played against Offaly last Sunday), Seánie Barry, Billy Power (Clonea) and Shane Ryan (DLS) who were subs last Sunday, Michael Harney and Calum Lyons (who played against Clare in the Munster League and presumably are still on the panel) and Peter Hogan. Does anyone know anyone else who is on the panel? Whatever happened to Jack Fagan?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

O'Moore Park is on the left going into Port Laoise from Junction 17 on the M7, the motorway from Dublin to Cork/Limerick. It's about half a mile in. There is plenty of parking around the ground, and I don't expect there will be much of a crowd there tomorrow. If you are coming from Abbeyleix (the N77) just go straight through the roundabout at Junction 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Take no prisoners

Giveitfong wrote: »

O'Moore Park is on the left going into Port Laoise from Junction 17 on the M7, the motorway from Dublin to Cork/Limerick. It's about half a mile in. There is plenty of parking around the ground, and I don't expect there will be much of a crowd there tomorrow. If you are coming from Abbeyleix (the N77) just go straight through the roundabout at Junction 17.
    There's parking in the shopping centre on the left just before the roundabout where you take the left to go to o Moore park when coming from the big roundabout at exit 17 into the town.

By that criteria you must not rate Michael Walsh?

As in Brick Walsh arguably the best distributor of a ball in the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Giveitfong wrote: »
    On top of the team picked for Sunday and the alternate team named by KevIrl, you can add Jordan Henley (who played against Offaly last Sunday), See Barry, Billy Power (Clonea) and Shane Ryan (DLS) who were subs last Sunday, Michael Harney and Calum Lyons (who played against Clare in the Munster League and presumably are still on the panel) and Peter Hogan. Does anyone know anyone else who is on the panel? Whatever happened to Jack Fagan?
    It’s great that there are plenty of lads there (30+ by the looks of it) with good potential so it would seem we’ve some good options. Only thing I notice is that many are at a fairly similar level or stage of development so I’m wondering if this will make it difficult for Fanning to lock down a consistent 15. It’ll be very interesting to see when all the regulars are back in contention will any of these newer/younger lads hold down a place.

Big year for the likes of Curran, Dunford, O’Halloran and one or two others who’ve been on the panel a few years now but have been in and out of the team and have shown flashes of form now and again. Hopefully a more attacking, expansive game will get more out of them.

The league seems to be set up nicely for us this year. Handy start against Offaly last weekend, Laois today and then Carlow in two weeks time. Hopefully three confidence boosting wins with plenty of the younger lads getting game time before a step up in Dublin in Parnell Park. Possibly a winner take all clash at home to Galway in the last group game to determine who tops the table. Either way we’re basically guaranteed a quarter final against a 1A team and who knows from there. It at least provides plenty of opportunities to try out lads, particularly towards the business end of the league against better opposition which should give s good indication of where we stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

2019 GAA World Games in Waterford.

Crikey! We can have world games here, but yet can't have a home game for the county team?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

deise08 wrote: »
    2019 GAA World Games in Waterford.

Crikey! We can have world games here, but yet can't have a home game for the county team?????

Yeah we're hosting them...Semple Stadium this April if you're interested

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement