Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

As in Brick Walsh arguably the best distributor of a ball in the game?

But your point was about Barry Coughlan rarely getting the ball in his hand and striking it. Distribution was not mentioned. So I'm asking you if you rate both getting the ball in your hand and striking it so highly, then how do you rate a player such as Michael Walsh who wouldn't strike a lot of ball? It seems that if you are to apply equal standards to all players then the answer is the same as how you rated Coughlan.

For the record I rate Michael Walsh as one of the best players I've ever seen, but I allow that all players are different and bring different strengths to their teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

QONVIyz.gif?noredirect

• Registered Users Posts: 37,909 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Horrible weather up here

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Henley and foran in for brick and colm roche

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Horrible weather up here

Small crowd too

• Advertisement

Winning well but back line letting a lot in but Laois not converting

Routine win with a bit of a slump in the 2nd half. Laois played better with 14 men

Off next week and back on the 16th Feb against Carlow who had a brilliant draw against Galway

Nice to see Maurice back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Lads had to find their own seats in the stands and stopped from warming down after the game..

Another very solid performance overall. Thought the stand out performers for me were jack prendergast, bennett, Kearney, Curran, Ryan and Henley. Very attacking approach again apart from right near the end when Maurice was the only man in the full forwards. The defence was a bit ropey at times but got away with it. Team overall seemed to go asleep for maybe 10/15 mins in the second half, hit a bunch of wides and laois got 4 points in the row. Curran's two goals were excellent team goals coming from some slick passing movements, Ryan's were more solo efforts using his pace well and his second was particularly excellent.

So after two games we have scored 6-50 and conceeded 1-22. Yes the opposition were kind but it cant be understated just how bad the conditions underfoot were last week and today. Great to see some solid inter county minutes for the likes of o Brien, prunty, McNulty, henley, prendergast and Billy power as well.

Finally, good to see Maurice back on the pitch and indeed he got one of the loudest cheers of the day coming on and again for his point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Good win again but Laois were poor so hard to judge where we're at. Good performances all over. Tommy Ryan's second goal was probably moment of the game for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Are we on Sunday game this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

There was a camera there in the open stand so imagine they'll show the goals yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Solid win, work was done in the first half and the game was done by half time. We went to sleep a bit in second half but that can be inevitable sometimes when a game has been put to bed early on.

Great to see Tommy Ryan absolutely flying today, some super scores, also good to see Curran getting the goals too.

We can secure our quarter final spot the next day v carlow, seems to be the Saturday night under lights in dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Will the game be on the Sunday game this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford 4-22 Laois 1-15

For the second week in a row Waterford scored an aggregate of 34 points in disposing of weak opposition, as they sauntered to an easy victory over Laois at O’Moore Park in Port Laoise today. A feature of the game was that the full forward line, largely missing in action for the last five years, scored no less than 4-15 between them, with Pat Curran hitting 2-2, Tommy Ryan 2-1 and Stephen Bennett 0-12 (0-3 from play).

The pitch was better than Thurles last Sunday, but still soft and difficult for the players. It was a cold day, with a stiff wind blowing towards the town goal, and you could see that the players were frozen out on the pitch. Waterford had two changes from the selected team, with Jordan Henley in for Brick Walsh and DJ Foran for Colm Roche, who was absent due to a family bereavement. Henley went to right half back with Mark O’Brien moving to the more familiar surroundings (for him) of midfield.

Laois had first use of the wind, but it was of little use to them as Waterford took them apart with some excellent passing movements. Two such movements produced excellent goals for Tommy Ryan and Patrick Curran, while two good saves by Laois goalkeeper Enda Rowlands prevented what looked like surefire goals for Ryan and Bennett. Laois did create some chances, but their shooting was worse than Offaly’s the previous week, with eight first half wides to Waterford’s two. Billy Nolan also pulled off one excellent save. At half time the game was as good as over with Waterford leading 2-12 to 0-3.

Things got worse for Laois right after the restart when substitute Lee Cleere, who had just come on, was shown a straight red after an incident involving Tommy Ryan. Waterford brought on Brick for Tadhg de Búrca, who took a knock late in the first half, and Colin Dunford for Mikey Kearney at half time. They relaxed in the third quarter, shooting several wides (including two missed frees by Bennett). Laois, by contrast, upped their game significantly (no doubt with hard half-time words from Eddie Brennan ringing in their ears) and began to get some scores on the board, mainly through frees from their centre forward Mark Kavanagh. It was Kavanagh who got their goal, a good shot from a difficult angle after Billy Nolan had just pulled off another excellent save from close range.

Waterford put the game to bed with further excellent goals from Curran (60th minute) and Ryan (64th minute). Ryan’s goal will be a contender for goal of the year, as he gained possession out on the right sideline and then showed fantastic pace and skill to weave his way through the Laois defence to finish to the net. Thankfully this score will have been recorded on film, as TG4 are due to show highlights from the game tomorrow night.

There was a big cheer from the substantial number of Waterford supporters in the crowd when Maurice Shanahan came on as a late sub for DJ Foran. He went into full forward and it was noticeable how the outfield players starting playing balls into him. His good late point generated a further big cheer. Earlier, Clonea’s Billy Power replaced Jack Prendergast. It took him a while to get into the game but he did produce some good plays late on.

I find it hard to fathom some of the new management’s selection selection decisions. They only used four substitutes even though the game was over by halftime. You would wonder, for example, why they left Kevin Moran on for the full game rather than bringing on Michael Harney or Calum Lyons who were listed in the substitutes. And surely they would have learned more by bringing on a new panel member rather than Brick Walsh for the second half.

As with the Offaly game, one would not to read too much into individual performances against opposition as weak as this. Only one of Laois’s six starting forwards scored. I thought Waterford’s man of the match was Jack Prendergast, who had a terrific first half and continued to win ball and show good touches until replaced in the 53rd minute. Conor Prunty was also very impressive, very sure in his play and laying off ball very effectively. Shane McNulty also put in a good hard-working shift.

Stephen Roche had a good first half, as did Mikey Kearney who hit three points before being replaced at half time by Colin Dunford who put in a very busy and effective second half. Mark O’Brien played well right through. Tommy Ryan was Waterford’s most eye-catching forward, while Patrick Curran showed his predatory abilities to great effect. It is a pity we have had to wait so long to see Curran and Stephen Bennett operating in the same full forward line together at senior level. Hopefully they will make up yet for the wasted years.

WATERFORD: B Nolan; S McNulty, C Prunty, N Connors; J Henley, T de Búrca, K Moran; M O’Brien (0-1), S Roche; DJ Foran (0-1), M Kearney (0-3), J Prendergast; T Ryan (2-1), S Bennett (0-12, 8f, 1 ‘65), P Curran (2-2). Subs; C Dunford (0-1) for Kearney (HT), M Walsh for de Búrca (HT), B Power for Prendergast (53), M Shanahan (0-1) for Foran (63).

No coverage again

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

FFS. Didn't even discuss it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

There was a camera there in the open stand so imagine they'll show the goals yeah.
    One tg4 tomorrow

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Waterford 4-22 Laois 1-15

For the second week in a row Waterford scored an aggregate of 34 points in disposing of weak opposition, as they sauntered to an easy victory over Laois at O’Moore Park in Port Laoise today. A feature of the game was that the full forward line, largely missing in action for the last five years, scored no less than 4-15 between them, with Pat Curran hitting 2-2, Tommy Ryan 2-1 and Stephen Bennett 0-12 (0-3 from play).

The pitch was better than Thurles last Sunday, but still soft and difficult for the players. It was a cold day, with a stiff wind blowing towards the town goal, and you could see that the players were frozen out on the pitch. Waterford had two changes from the selected team, with Jordan Henley in for Brick Walsh and DJ Foran for Colm Roche, who was absent due to a family bereavement. Henley went to right half back with Mark O’Brien moving to the more familiar surroundings (for him) of midfield.

Laois had first use of the wind, but it was of little use to them as Waterford took them apart with some excellent passing movements. Two such movements produced excellent goals for Tommy Ryan and Patrick Curran, while two good saves by Laois goalkeeper Enda Rowlands prevented what looked like surefire goals for Ryan and Bennett. Laois did create some chances, but their shooting was worse than Offaly’s the previous week, with eight first half wides to Waterford’s two. Billy Nolan also pulled off one excellent save. At half time the game was as good as over with Waterford leading 2-12 to 0-3.

Things got worse for Laois right after the restart when substitute Lee Cleere, who had just come on, was shown a straight red after an incident involving Tommy Ryan. Waterford brought on Brick for Tadhg de Búrca, who took a knock late in the first half, and Colin Dunford for Mikey Kearney at half time. They relaxed in the third quarter, shooting several wides (including two missed frees by Bennett). Laois, by contrast, upped their game significantly (no doubt with hard half-time words from Eddie Brennan ringing in their ears) and began to get some scores on the board, mainly through frees from their centre forward Mark Kavanagh. It was Kavanagh who got their goal, a good shot from a difficult angle after Billy Nolan had just pulled off another excellent save from close range.

Waterford put the game to bed with further excellent goals from Curran (60th minute) and Ryan (64th minute). Ryan’s goal will be a contender for goal of the year, as he gained possession out on the right sideline and then showed fantastic pace and skill to weave his way through the Laois defence to finish to the net. Thankfully this score will have been recorded on film, as TG4 are due to show highlights from the game tomorrow night.

There was a big cheer from the substantial number of Waterford supporters in the crowd when Maurice Shanahan came on as a late sub for DJ Foran. He went into full forward and it was noticeable how the outfield players starting playing balls into him. His good late point generated a further big cheer. Earlier, Clonea’s Billy Power replaced Jack Prendergast. It took him a while to get into the game but he did produce some good plays late on.

I find it hard to fathom some of the new management’s selection selection decisions. They only used four substitutes even though the game was over by halftime. You would wonder, for example, why they left Kevin Moran on for the full game rather than bringing on Michael Harney or Calum Lyons who were listed in the substitutes. And surely they would have learned more by bringing on a new panel member rather than Brick Walsh for the second half.

As with the Offaly game, one would not to read too much into individual performances against opposition as weak as this. Only one of Laois’s six starting forwards scored. I thought Waterford’s man of the match was Jack Prendergast, who had a terrific first half and continued to win ball and show good touches until replaced in the 53rd minute. Conor Prunty was also very impressive, very sure in his play and laying off ball very effectively. Shane McNulty also put in a good hard-working shift.

Stephen Roche had a good first half, as did Mikey Kearney who hit three points before being replaced at half time by Colin Dunford who put in a very busy and effective second half. Mark O’Brien played well right through. Tommy Ryan was Waterford’s most eye-catching forward, while Patrick Curran showed his predatory abilities to great effect. It is a pity we have had to wait so long to see Curran and Stephen Bennett operating in the same full forward line together at senior level. Hopefully they will make up yet for the wasted years.

WATERFORD: B Nolan; S McNulty, C Prunty, N Connors; J Henley, T de Búrca, K Moran; M O’Brien (0-1), S Roche; DJ Foran (0-1), M Kearney (0-3), J Prendergast; T Ryan (2-1), S Bennett (0-12, 8f, 1 ‘65), P Curran (2-2). Subs; C Dunford (0-1) for Kearney (HT), M Walsh for de Búrca (HT), B Power for Prendergast (53), M Shanahan (0-1) for Foran (63).

Was wondering regarding the subs myself, did they miscount? Also jack prendergast came off for sure, but did he go back on? Could have sworn I saw him in around the half back line right at the end

It shows how ridiculous the preliminary quarter final system in the championship is. Both teams Waterford hammered in recent weeks have a better chance of getting there as they only need to beat Antrim, Kerry, Westmeath etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

But your point was about Barry Coughlan rarely getting the ball in his hand and striking it. Distribution was not mentioned. So I'm asking you if you rate both getting the ball in your hand and striking it so highly, then how do you rate a player such as Michael Walsh who wouldn't strike a lot of ball? It seems that if you are to apply equal standards to all players then the answer is the same as how you rated Coughlan.

For the record I rate Michael Walsh as one of the best players I've ever seen, but I allow that all players are different and bring different strengths to their teams.

Comparing apples with oranges. Brick is a superb player who can play the ball on the stick to great effect whenever he needs to.

Coughlan never even tried to hurl. A full back who couldn’t pick the ball up under pressure and clear it out of the danger area when required, instead would stand into his man and foul him rather than contest the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

It shows how ridiculous the preliminary quarter final system in the championship is. Both teams Waterford hammered in recent weeks have a better chance of getting there as they only need to beat Antrim, Kerry, Westmeath etc.

I think it’s a good initiative, it gives the Joe McDonagh sides something to aim for. If getting back into the Liam Mac championship with a once off home tie against a top side is not motivation then what is. Look at Carlow, yes they got a trimming from Limerick last year but it gave them a taste of where they need to get to. 2 impressive results in division 1b so far this year will be better prepared to compete in Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

We're lower tier at the moment so not surprising the game wasn't shown. I don't think it's any harm for us to go under the radar for the moment anyway. Hopefully there'll be a good home crowd in Fraher Field for the next game.

We're lower tier at the moment so not surprising the game wasn't shown. I don't think it's any harm for us to go under the radar for the moment anyway. Hopefully there'll be a good home crowd in Fraher Field for the next game.

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭spideyman92

Seemed like a bigger Waterford turnout but haven't heard nor seen any mention of the attendance yesterday.

Seemed like a bigger Waterford turnout but haven't heard nor seen any mention of the attendance yesterday.

I don't remember it being announced but if I was to guess, I reckon around 2-2.5K, similar to the Offaly match

I think it’s a good initiative, it gives the Joe McDonagh sides something to aim for. If getting back into the Liam Mac championship with a once off home tie against a top side is not motivation then what is. Look at Carlow, yes they got a trimming from Limerick last year but it gave them a taste of where they need to get to. 2 impressive results in division 1b so far this year will be better prepared to compete in Leinster.

Couldn't disagree more. I was at the Carlow v Limerick game last year. It ended 0-13 to 5-22. Neither team benefitted at all from the game and Carlow couldn't celebrate their Christy Ring victory from the previous week due to the timing of this a week later. Carlow got their reward for winning their competition which was promotion. Why should a team that isn't good enough to participate based on their previous year's record be parachuted into the knock out stage of a competition. It would be like Shamrock Rovers playing Real Madrid in the European Cup "preliminary quarter final".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Couldn't disagree more. I was at the Carlow v Limerick game last year. It ended 0-13 to 5-22. Neither team benefitted at all from the game and Carlow couldn't celebrate their Christy Ring victory from the previous week due to the timing of this a week later. Carlow got their reward for winning their competition which was promotion. Why should a team that isn't good enough to participate based on their previous year's record be parachuted into the knock out stage of a competition. It would be like Shamrock Rovers playing Real Madrid in the European Cup "preliminary quarter final".

It's more like Panama or Egypt qualifying for the World Cup finals while better teams like Ir...Italy were kicking their heels at home. The experience of being hammered by Limerick does not seem to have done Carlow any harm. Personally my objection is to the team that finished third in Munster and Leinster getting yet another go. There isn't going to be a format that pleases everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

The laois goal keeper deserves a bit of credit, made a few good saves yesterday..

Looking forward to not having to travel too far now for the next match ( after the ballygunner game )

• Advertisement

Can't wait for for Ballygunner game on Sat

Not everyday a senior Waterford club team gets into the All Ireland series

Really tough challenge ahead for them against one of the hardest club sides in the country and former AI winners but as they shown they fear no-one and it's much a case of now or never

Hoping they get over the line and run out in Croke Park on paddys day. Club is so unpredictable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement