Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,529 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

That tommy Ryan second goal just gets better and better on repeat viewing. In fact all five goals Sunday were v good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Couldn't disagree more. I was at the Carlow v Limerick game last year. It ended 0-13 to 5-22. Neither team benefitted at all from the game and Carlow couldn't celebrate their Christy Ring victory from the previous week due to the timing of this a week later. Carlow got their reward for winning their competition which was promotion. Why should a team that isn't good enough to participate based on their previous year's record be parachuted into the knock out stage of a competition. It would be like Shamrock Rovers playing Real Madrid in the European Cup "preliminary quarter final".

Again, comparing apples with oranges. The intention is to give Joe McDonagh counties a chance. There are few enough hurling counties out there as it is it’s important that the Joe McDonagh sides don’t get completely left behind now that an elite Liam McCarthy competition has been promoted. It keeps the interest going although I would give them more than a weeks break before the prelim quarter final

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Can't wait for for Ballygunner game on Sat

Not everyday a senior Waterford club team gets into the All Ireland series

Really tough challenge ahead for them against one of the hardest club sides in the country and former AI winners but as they shown they fear no-one and it's much a case of now or never

Hoping they get over the line and run out in Croke Park on paddys day. Club is so unpredictable

I expect a massive crowd to travel, the arrogance around the Shamrocks camp is exhausting...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,985 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I expect a massive crowd to travel, the arrogance around the Shamrocks camp is exhausting...

Saw on the club championship thread here that if BG dont man mark TJ Reid than he could run riot but shame for Ballyhale if they don't watch Pauric Mahony

Remember the last time a Waterford team were underestimated in an AI semi final in 2017 they destroyed Cork. A lot of Cork supporters had there AI final plans made out. Hopefully Shamrock supporters are planning there trip too Dublin

Sadly won't make it but will be watching on TG4. A final in Croke Park on paddys day will be a nice way to spend the day

https://youtu.be/U3-883rdGVw

The highlights from the Laois match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

KevIRL wrote: »
    That tommy Ryan second goal just gets better and better on repeat viewing. In fact all five goals Sunday were v good

Although what was their full back at!?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Although what was their full back at!?

Haha, yeah I didn't cop that on the day alright

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Out of 32 grounds, Walsh park comes in at the second smallest hurling field (1.1% smaller then Gaelic Grounds Limerick) & some 14.8% smaller then both Thurles & Croke Park.

There is a direct correlation between Waterfords win rate against teams competing for Liam McCarthy & bigger pitches.

Bigger the pitch better the win % back to 1998

I am sure the guys behind Walsh park redevelopment know all of this, must be part of a wider strategy for hurling to be played on one of the smallest tightest pitches in the country....

Source @GAALeagueTables

Out of 32 grounds, Walsh park comes in at the second smallest hurling field (1.1% smaller then Gaelic Grounds Limerick) & some 14.8% smaller then both Thurles & Croke Park.

There is a direct correlation between Waterfords win rate against teams competing for Liam McCarthy & bigger pitches.

Bigger the pitch better the win % back to 1998

I am sure the guys behind Walsh park redevelopment know all of this, must be part of a wider strategy for hurling to be played on one of the smallest tightest pitches in the country....

Source @GAALeagueTables

it is the Waterford County Board at the end of the day so dont expect them to cop that

back to Waterford With the BG players coming back soon hopefully after the league, some one will have to be dropped and after 2 games against weak teams its hard to pick who will get the chop from the panel ???

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Again, comparing apples with oranges. The intention is to give Joe McDonagh counties a chance. There are few enough hurling counties out there as it is it’s important that the Joe McDonagh sides don’t get completely left behind now that an elite Liam McCarthy competition has been promoted. It keeps the interest going although I would give them more than a weeks break before the prelim quarter final

I asked twice how you can use a certain criteria to define one player (after creating a fictional reason he left the panel) while determining it irrelevant when it didn't suit you to apply to another and you avoided answering twice so I gave up.

But this is total nonsense. How does putting Laois or Offaly (as two of the likely teams) in against a beaten provincial team going to benefit them? They would have just reached a Christy Ring final so they would be on the up and then they get savaged by a team far superior. Getting beaten by 20 points keeps nobodies interest going. If you want to develop hurling in these counties you invest in grass roots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

KevIRL wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/U3-883rdGVw

The highlights from the Laois match.

Don't think it does Tommy Ryan's 2nd goal justice, he picked that up from a long way out

Don't think it does Tommy Ryan's 2nd goal justice, he picked that up from a long way out

Yeah the TG4 coverage shows it much better

Any challenge games lined up for the hurlers at the weekend ??. Prob do with a rest as they have had 2x games in a row and have a good few in a row the next few weeks

Footballers play Derry Sunday which will be very tough and of course Ballygunner game Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Any challenge games lined up for the hurlers at the weekend ??. Prob do with a rest as they have had 2x games in a row and have a good few in a row the next few weeks

Footballers play Derry Sunday which will be very tough and of course Ballygunner game Sat
    They are going away on a training camp this weekend

They are going away on a training camp this weekend

Well for em and on congress weekend too

Almost everyone writing Ballygunner off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Well for em and on congress weekend too

Almost everyone writing Ballygunner off

Think they'll win it myself

I hope they do. Even if it’s only because I couldn’t listen to the crowing about king Henry all over again if Ballyhale won a club AI under him

Would be massive for club hurling in Waterford

Shamrocks have a strong forward line and BG will have to be on there game. Really want BG too win. Media overdrive for King Henry if Ballyhale win

Am I right in saying this is the first Waterford vs Kilkenny club game since the 1981/82 final between James Stephens and Mount Sion ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I will be cheering for the champions of Waterford because they are the champions of Waterford.

2t6ifa.jpg

Best of luck too Ballygunner today

• Advertisement

Horrendous rain Which will ruin the game

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

08 to 07 to BG at half time

Ahead... but only one point from play is worrying

Deskjockey wrote: »
    08 to 07 to BG at half time

Ahead... but only one point from play is worrying

Yeah Shamrocks the better team I feel but thankfully not the scoreboard

BG need a massive effort too win this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Shamrocks hit another gear, winning lots 50 50 ball and cutting out poor ballygunner passes.

Balls anyway

Good effort by BG but Ballyhale the better team overall. Much better from play and there experience showed

Sadly this was the best chance of a Waterford club getting too Croke Park on paddys day again. We might never see the day

Long way back for Ballygunner but ya never know. Hard luck too them

Prob have the BG contingent back for the Galway league game on the 3rd March. Hardly bring them in for the Dublin match

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭carter10

garv123 wrote: »
    Shamrocks hit another gear, winning lots 50 50 ball and cutting out poor ballygunner passes.

Ballygunner shooting themselves in the foot constantly- unable to win any ball in the air and a complete inability to execute even basic pick ups was their undoing. Shamrocks ease with the basics of the game and their superior strength made it more comfortable than the scoreline suggested.
    A few BG forwards who looked possibilities for inter county during the year displayed today they are nowhere near that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭5948ai

Very disappointing from ballygunner today. The goal was a crucial score. Ballygunner playing some crazy short passes in the conditions which cost them a few scores and ultimately the match.

Their lack of pace around the middle third was shown up today too unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

The best team won, fair play to them. That's it.

3 points from play over 65 minutes? Pfffft

• Advertisement

Footballers beaten 2-13-1-8 by Derry who were down too 13 men

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement