Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,876 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ridiculous way to decide a final. Hate to be the player that misses and sends his club out. First score wins would be fairer.

Had my years mixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

First team to score in added time seems fairer way to decide to me.
    #

Possibly but that would be tough on the referee to have to blow a free etc that might lose a team the match in a single passage of play. With penalties theres no grey areas

Jesus imagine a Provincial or all Ireland final going to penalties

Not good for the heart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Neil Montgomery hit 0-5 from play for UCC today, they knocked out Imokilly who were going for 3 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭deise man

County final is live on tg4 on Sunday

• Advertisement

Next week's County Final fixture details...

Junior B Hurling Final:
    Ballyduff Upper v Clonea in Fraher Field on Friday 28.08.20 at 7pm

Junior C Hurling Final:
    Kilgobinet v Michéal MacCraith in Fraher Field on Saturday 29.08.20 at 2pm

Junior A Hurling Final:
    Michéal MacCraith v Colligan in Fraher Field on Saturday 29.08.20 at 6pm

Senior Hurling Final - live on TG4:
    Ballygunner v Passage in Walsh Park on Sunday 30.08.20 at 2pm

Intermediate Hurling Final:
    Ballyduff Upper v Ballyduff Lower in Fraher Field on Sunday 30.08.20 at 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Wow and did he save the other one?

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

They weren't junior last year. St Mary's won the junior last year.

Dunhill beat ballyduff in last years inter eastern semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Serious score from Austin Gleeson at the weekend

Serious score from Austin Gleeson at the weekend

Amazing point

Really hope the championship happens this year and we see him flourish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Hutchinsons first goal was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭brookville

Hi guys.Just wondering what is michael Walsh's role with passage?is he the manager or coach/selector?is it a big suprise to see them in the final?I remember them in a final a few years ago.i remember the eoin kelly and coughlan tussle.Is this Michael's first year with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

brookville wrote: »
    Hi guys.Just wondering what is michael Walsh's role with passage?is he the manager or coach/selector?is it a big suprise to see them in the final?I remember them in a final a few years ago.i remember the eoin kelly and coughlan tussle.Is this Michael's first year with them?

Pretty sure Michael is the manager and he has Pa Kearney who has a good reputation and was Waterford selector last year in with him as his coach. They certainly have done a great job with such a young team. His first year with Passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭brookville

Pretty sure Michael is the manager and he has Pa Kearney who has a good reputation and was Waterford selector last year in with him as his coach. They certainly have done a great job with such a young team. His first year with Passage.

Thanks for your reply.Michael is a good hurling man.hopefully they can give a good performance in the final although very hard to look past ballygunner.

brookville wrote: »

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/40468771

Noel Connors mentions how long he's been involved with the club

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Stupid question; is Passage east or west? Who were the last west club to win Senior in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Ballyduff 07
    Population is really hitting the west.
    Ballygunner are a super sized club in the Dublin model. They are actually too big.. They have everyone on the age. Others won't have a hope of competing with this..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

MfMan wrote: »
    Stupid question; is Passage east or west? Who were the last west club to win Senior in Waterford?

passage are located in the east, as far east in the county as you can go. while they are a rural club, a lot of people would almost consider them a city club, the hurlers go to dls school and hurl harty cup, and their big rivals would be Ballygunner.

ballyduff upper won a county title about 10 years ago or so, the only time since lismore in 1993 that the county title has been up west. it would be good for waterford hurling if one of the big western clubs could win a county title but the gap to Ballygunner is considerable at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Is the Passage team really that young? I see 10 of them played in the final 4 years ago.

From what Christy Browne said before, sounds like the Mt Sion team they beat were a good bit younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    passage are located in the east, as far east in the county as you can go. while they are a rural club, a lot of people would almost consider them a city club, the hurlers go to dls school and hurl harty cup, and their big rivals would be Ballygunner.

ballyduff upper won a county title about 10 years ago or so, the only time since lismore in 1993 that the county title has been up west. it would be good for waterford hurling if one of the big western clubs could win a county title but the gap to Ballygunner is considerable at present.

Cheers. Stupid question II, why is the west weaker? Is it a population thing? You would think it's proximity to Cork might have 'rubbed off' on it a bit. Where is the dividing line? Dungarvan?

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    Cheers. Stupid question II, why is the west weaker? Is it a population thing? You would think it's proximity to Cork might have 'rubbed off' on it a bit. Where is the dividing line? Dungarvan?

It's disputable but Stradbally is roughly where its divided.

Population is a factor certainly. There was 23 hurling clubs in the West and 19 in the East this year, yet East Waterford would likely account for close to 2/3 of the population.

It's is particularly in the City where Senior hurling has been dominated and that's largely been the way historically. If Ballygunner win on Sunday, 3 City teams will have won 26/30 senior titles between them since 1991.

There's also the fact that a tradition of football dominates the Comeragh area down to Dungarvan, including current champions Rathgormack who though they are situated West of Stradbally actually play in the east.

In total, 6/8 teams from last years football quarter finals play in the West.

The point you make about East Cork is well merited however. Should Ballyduff Upper win this weekend in the Intermediate Final then next year the championship will feature 4 teams West of Cappoquin who are all close to the Cork border and a very small population between them (Lismore, Ballyduff Upper, Tallow and Ballysaggart).

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Should Ballyduff Upper win this weekend in the Intermediate Final then next year the championship will feature 4 teams West of Cappoquin who are all close to the Cork border and a very small population between them (Lismore, Ballyduff Upper, Tallow and Ballysaggart).

I could be wrong but I thought there was no promotion from intermediate this year?

Deise Gael wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I thought there was no promotion from intermediate this year?

There is I believe, but no relegation next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

And yet despite the dominance of Ballygunner the only current player they have with an all star is Soky. Noel Connors has 3.

I'd suggest that more concerning for the western teams than the long wait to win a county title is that as far as I can see every senior match this year between a team for the east and the west was won by the eastern team.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

There is I believe, but no relegation next year.

There is promotion this year for 2021 but no relegation but 2 teams will be relegated from senior in 2021

I'd suggest that more concerning for the western teams than the long wait to win a county title is that as far as I can see every senior match this year between a team for the east and the west was won by the eastern team.

I think teams are only concerned about their own performances, regardless of who they lose to. We don't associate with an east v west tribalism.

Sure you've a far greater hunger to beat those lads down the road than the fellas at the other end of the County.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I think teams are only concerned about their own performances, regardless of who they lose to. We don't associate with an east v west tribalism.

Sure you've a far greater hunger to beat those lads down the road than the fellas at the other end of the County.

Fair point.

Ballygunner going for 7 in a row this weekend against the team who beat them last in the Waterford championship in 2013. That year i reckon a few BG supporters were heading off early to get to the pub to celebrate :o:o:o

Will this BG team equal or break the records of
    Erins Own 9 in a row- 1927-1935
    Mount Sion 9 in a row- 1953-1961 (would of got 13 in a row if it wasant for a 1962 final loss too Erins Own)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Lads I know Waterford City from been in the college, I presume Ardkeen and Ballygunner itself be the main population hub for the club? how far into the city is their catchment area? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭seananigans

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ballygunner going for 7 in a row this weekend against the team who beat them last in the Waterford championship in 2013. That year i reckon a few BG supporters were heading off early to get to the pub to celebrate :o:o:o

Will this BG team equal or break the records of
    Erins Own 9 in a row- 1927-1935
    Mount Sion 9 in a row- 1953-1961 (would of got 13 in a row if it wasant for a 1962 final loss too Erins Own)

some money on an upset
    RzzVsGd.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement