Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭seananigans

PTH2009 wrote: »
    sad to say but the younger brigade are not young anymore (players who came from the minor and under 21 AI winning teams) The way the game is gone a player is near the end of his IC career at 28/29. Past reputations mean very little and has to be judged on current performance

This Virus has come at the wrong bloody time in regards our squad age. If only we done things differently in 2017

the 2016 u21 team are approx 24/25 now, the peak of players is 27/28 thsi gives me hope that we are in a really good position come 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

imagine it would take a lot of convincing for him to return but it would be very welcome

Also Maurice deserves a shot I think

Did you see the game tonight or against Abbeyside, a fabulous servant to the county and seriously talented hurler but on the 2 performances I have seen I would say Cahill made the right call

• Registered Users Posts: 37,877 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Time flies and then we have the uncertainty around these times

Would love a championship this year and think it would be very interesting but its not looking promising

Liam Cahill seems to have done a good job so far but its so hard to judge with current events. If Sheddy leaves Tipp then its a nervy wait for us in regards Cahills services

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Deise_abu wrote: »
    Did you see the game tonight or against Abbeyside, a fabulous servant to the county and seriously talented hurler but on the 2 performances I have seen I would say Cahill made the right call

The thing about Maurice is that he thrives only when he is the main man. Leading the attack and taking the frees. It’s no coincidence that his best year in a Waterford jersey was 2015 after Pauric Mahony done his cruciate. He’s not and never will be effective enough as a bit part player or a contributor. He’s very much a confidence player and needs to lead from the front. Unless Cahill brings him back in as his marquis forward I can’t see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

The thing about Maurice is that he thrives only when he is the main man. Leading the attack and taking the frees. It’s no coincidence that his best year in a Waterford jersey was 2015 after Pauric Mahony done his cruciate. He’s not and never will be effective enough as a bit part player or a contributor. He’s very much a confidence player and needs to lead from the front. Unless Cahill brings him back in as his marquis forward I can’t see it happening

Maurice is a fantastic club hurler. However, he does not have the pace or mobility for inter county hurling. For me this has been reaffirmed after watching tonight’s game. The way inter county hurling has gone and looking at the way Liam Cahill sets up his team, Maurice just doesn’t have the capability to put in the work rate required.

On a side note, BG were brilliant tonight. I was really impressed with their work rate particularly in their forwards. Lismore were not given a second on the ball. Contrast this to when BG defenders had the ball, no pressure from the lismore forwards at all and able to pin point passes into Dessie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

He scored 1-4 from play last weekend??

Scored 2 or 3 points last night, on a night where Lismore bad absolutely no answer.

Just to add he was man of the match in both the previous games as well.

I probably wouldn't have him back but it's nothing to with ability.

He scored 1-4 from play last weekend??

Scored 2 or 3 points last night, on a night where Lismore bad absolutely no answer.

Just to add he was man of the match in both the previous games as well.

I probably wouldn't have him back but it's nothing to with ability.

In my first post i stated I still think he is a fabulous hurler, i just feel marking two inter county full backs in the last two game seen him contained, prunty and coughlan would do a job on many full forwards, how much of the 1 - 4 was scored when prunty moved out the field? Not being critical of Maurice just think the calls for his return should be viewed on these games and not the ealier rounds, Philip Mahony and Martin O'Neill were the only two guys that I seen who I would think Cahill should be pushing to have a look at again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

In my first post i stated I still think he is a fabulous hurler, i just feel marking two inter county full backs in the last two game seen him contained, prunty and coughlan would do a job on many full forwards, how much of the 1 - 4 was scored when prunty moved out the field? Not being critical of Maurice just think the calls for his return should be viewed on these games and not the ealier rounds, Philip Mahony and Martin O'Neill were the only two guys that I seen who I would think Cahill should be pushing to have a look at again

I can understand it alright but I'd cut him a bit of slack. His scoring performances on average have been more impressive than starting Waterford forwards like Jack Fagan, Neil Montgomery, Mahony or Peter Hogan.

And as much as Fergal Hartley had mentioned Lismore having a forward line to challenge any in Munster, he was fighting a lonely battle up there yesterday I thought.

As I said, for discipline I likely still wouldn't call him up. But he'd definitely be an asset off the bench at least to make the ball stick, similar to the Clare game last year when he had a big hand in helping almost steal as a totally undeserved win.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

in fairness Maurice has been excellent for lismore this season, but last 2 games he was up against probably best 2 full backs in the county and both got the better of him.

dessie Hutchinson was class yesterday, his touch and movement and scoring ability is just excellent. he is fast becoming one of the best forwards in the county. big step up to county level but he has all the assets required to make an impact, given time.

I can understand it alright but I'd cut him a bit of slack. His scoring performances on average have been more impressive than starting Waterford forwards like Jack Fagan, Neil Montgomery, Mahony or Peter Hogan.

And as much as Fergal Hartley had mentioned Lismore having a forward line to challenge any in Munster, he was fighting a lonely battle up there yesterday I thought.

As I said, for discipline I likely still wouldn't call him up. But he'd definitely be an asset off the bench at least to make the ball stick, similar to the Clare game last year when he had a big hand in helping almost steal as a totally undeserved win.

I think its fair to say he walks on to the team of the club championship based on performances and scoring averages, my only point was that I would not be calling for his inter county return like others

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Did Gleeson get any cards yet?

Mount Sion getting back into it

FT- Passage 0-26- Mount Sion 1-21 (24)

Sion going for goal for 2 frees near the end both saved, nobody expected that from Passage and fairly impressive getting to a final with a young enough team

Ballygunner vs Passage final once again, BG winners in the group phase game 2-2-20-0-15. Passage would of learnt from that game no doubt but think Ballygunner to win well next sunday

Colligan win the Western Junior A championship beating Tourin 0-18- 0-16

County junior A Hurling final is Tramore vs Colligan

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Big mistake by Mount Sion going for goal from that free on 60 minutes. 3 minutes injury time already announced and they had such momentum that if it was tapped over, they'd surely have got a chance at the equaliser. Missing it and for the ball to be countered up the field for a score was a nail.
    Saying that, it was the 14 wides that killed them in the end. Passage made most of their long range attempts which may have gone wide on another day. After watching both semi finals, I think Ballygunner will do the business again but one thing is certain and that's that Passage will not give Dessie Hutch the space he got against Lismore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Strange to see an outfield player (callum Lyons) going in goal for a penalty, for ballyduff vs Dunhill

garv123 wrote: »
    Strange to see an outfield player (callum Lyons) going in goal for a penalty, for ballyduff vs Dunhill

Followed by callum Lyons scoring a penalty to level things with 2 mins to go

Ballyduff Lower win 2-18-1-20 in the Eastern Intermediate final

Only Junior last year and now 1 step a way from Senior

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Followed by callum Lyons scoring a penalty to level things with 2 mins to go

Wow and did he save the other one?

• Advertisement

Wow and did he save the other one?

He didn't save it no. Ballyduff won by a point. Dunhill had a handy chance of a point in the second last play in added time but they went for goal.. Brilliant save. A Point would of had extra time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Ballyduff Lower win 2-18-1-20 in the Eastern Intermediate final

Only Junior last year and now 1 step a way from Senior

They weren't junior last year. St Mary's won the junior last year.

Ridiculous way to decide a final. Hate to be the player that misses and sends his club out. First score wins would be fairer.

Ballyduff win on the 8 penalty. Wow. Ballyduff vs ballyduff final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Ridiculous way to decide a final. Hate to be the player that misses and sends his club out. First score wins would be fairer.

You have to draw the line somewhere, both teams had chances to win it during the match and extra time

Ballyduff win on the 8 penalty. Wow. Ballyduff vs ballyduff final

Heartbreaking way to lose a final, hard luck to Clashmore
    Upper winning the semi extra time and final by penalties, that's the kind of luck that wins the county final

Battle of the Ballyduffs in the county final, very unique

• Advertisement

You have to draw the line somewhere, both teams had chances to win it during the match and extra time

First team to score in added time seems fairer way to decide to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement