Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

One of the most uplifting days for me was the drawn 92 minor final and Flynner exploding on the scene like a meteor.

We had heard the rumours but nothing could have prepared me for what I witnessed that day. It's not an exaggeration to say that single handed he threw down the gauntlet to Tipp, scoring 3-6 along the way. But it was the sheer skill and audacity he showed along with a complete lack of respect for Tipp that I had never witnessed in a Waterford hurler up to then which was the most optimistic aspect. I left Cork that day believing anything was possible.

His last goal will always live in the memory - described by Jack Lynch at the time as the best goal he had ever seen in Pairc ui Chaoimh. How often did he go on to score important goals to win matches for us. We owe him a lot.

After that 2002 and 2004 were unreal, not alone for the victories but the style with which we won them.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Do lads remember the limerick match, I think the drawn game in 03, that couldn’t be shown on TV or even highlights as Semple failed a safety inspection? If you wanted to see the match, you had to be there or am I gone crazy and making that up?

Do lads remember the limerick match, I think the drawn game in 03, that couldn’t be shown on TV or even highlights as Semple failed a safety inspection? If you wanted to see the match, you had to be there or am I gone crazy and making that up?

Was it something crazy like 4.13 or 3.14 each??i think that was andrew oshaugnasy debut for limerick in middle of his leaving cert??

Cant remember who hit it,but i think waterford hit the top.of upright and hopped out at killinen end near.the end and was given as a wide,

iirc serious complaints about reffing at the time,but that may have been partisan(possible carlow ref??)

Paul flynn (??)scored a goal from play in replay into killinen end from 25 ish yards,i remember my uncle was just getting over cancer at the time and him jumping around delighted for 1st time in months when he got it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

I loved watching Waterford in the Munster Final in 2004. Probably one of the best days in Waterford hurling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peAFdYkxbVo

Watching this right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

[quote="[Deleted User];112862290"

iirc serious complaints about reffing at the time,but that may have been partisan(possible carlow ref??)
    /quote]

Pat ahearne from Carlow was the ref and he won man of the match in the limerick leader that week. Think it could have been his last ever intercounty game and fortunately in the replay justice was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,774 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

for the day thats in it and what it formely was

Its a pity a Waterford team never won on club finals day in Croke Park. We only ever had 2 teams in the final and its hard to believe its 11 years ago today that De La Salle ran into a top class Portumna side (/2008/2009). Could be wrong here but think Mount Sion were are other reps in the 70s or 80s beaten by James Stephens

Ballygunner never got over the semi final line which is a pity. That last min semi final loss for De La Salle against Clarinbridge in 2010/11 is still heartbreaking and was a real chance of a Waterford team winning the title as O Loughlin Gaels of Kilkenny were not that strong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Yes I was at it, incredible game. Just a shame the cameras weren’t there due to some safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Yes I was at it, incredible game. Just a shame the cameras weren’t there due to some safety issue.
    Yeah remember this as being a deadly match, I was there.

Some Limerick guy took a video of the match from the stand, I remember I was a member of 'An Fear Rua' website at the time and heard about this collectors item of video of the match. I asked this Limerick poster to send it on to me which he did ( GAA family, I remember he was sound, wouldnt even take money for postage etc, cant even remember his name now), video got lost over the years, but maybe someone else might have it.

Speaking of other matches, does anyone have the Waterford qualifier win vs Kilkenny in the championship from a few years ago taped from the TV(the full match, not just the highlights on youtube which I've seen) I would give my right pinkie finger for a recording of the whole match that day... unbelievable tension

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Deise Gael wrote: »
    One of the most uplifting days for me was the drawn 92 minor final and Flynner exploding on the scene like a meteor.

We had heard the rumours but nothing could have prepared me for what I witnessed that day. It's not an exaggeration to say that single handed he threw down the gauntlet to Tipp, scoring 3-6 along the way. But it was the sheer skill and audacity he showed along with a complete lack of respect for Tipp that I had never witnessed in a Waterford hurler up to then which was the most optimistic aspect. I left Cork that day believing anything was possible.

His last goal will always live in the memory - described by Jack Lynch at the time as the best goal he had ever seen in Pairc ui Chaoimh. How often did he go on to score important goals to win matches for us. We owe him a lot.

After that 2002 and 2004 were unreal, not alone for the victories but the style with which we won them.
    My brother went to some awful crap through the 80's, so you can imagine how stoked he was coming back from that game. And it was only the start of what was a summer for the ages. The number of times I watched the highlights of the Munster U-21 final that were on 'Sportsworld' must have been in the hundreds.

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Yeah remember this as being a deadly match, I was there.

Some Limerick guy took a video of the match from the stand, I remember I was a member of 'An Fear Rua' website at the time and heard about this collectors item of video of the match. I asked this Limerick poster to send it on to me which he did ( GAA family, I remember he was sound, wouldnt even take money for postage etc, cant even remember his name now), video got lost over the years, but maybe someone else might have it.

Speaking of other matches, does anyone have the Waterford qualifier win vs Kilkenny in the championship from a few years ago taped from the TV(the full match, not just the highlights on youtube which I've seen) I would give my right pinkie finger for a recording of the whole match that day... unbelievable tension

checked my hard drive only have the 2nd half/Extra time of that game. Thought i might have the full game but sadly not. The more i think about 2017 we really got lucky with the draw and been kept away for a Tipp team which i think we would of stuggled against

is there any footage of the 1993 Kerry defeat in the Munster Championship, that would of been a major shock even for that time

• Advertisement

[quote="[Deleted User];112862290"

/quote]

Pat ahearne from Carlow was the ref and he won man of the match in the limerick leader that week. Think it could have been his last ever intercounty game and fortunately in the replay justice was done.

The ironic thing is that he has a loads of close relations in Co. Waterford. The poor guy just lost complete control of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭thesultan

Was it up on YouTube recently? Think the channel is gone

PTH2009 wrote: »
    checked my hard drive only have the 2nd half/Extra time of that game. Thought i might have the full game but sadly not. The more i think about 2017 we really got lucky with the draw and been kept away for a Tipp team which i think we would of stuggled against

is there any footage of the 1993 Kerry defeat in the Munster Championship, that would of been a major shock even for that time

I don't think it was ever shown. Kerry County board chairman Sean Kelly at the time spoke about it at the Sunday game which I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

thesultan wrote: »

There was a documentasry on the rte player about it if anyone jhas a copy saved would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Why in the name of Jesus would you want to watch that?

thesultan wrote: »

It was definetly up on YouTube before, seems to be gone now

Why in the name of Jesus would you want to watch that?

It would be right up PTH street. Someone should make a compilation for him, include 08AI final, 2011 and 16 Munster finals, along with 82/83 Munster finals. Remind him of the good old days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I've seen people have put up there club team of the last 20 years in different counties. Anyone want to give it a go?

Will do myself but will need to think. Bound to be plenty of controversy in this one!!

Waterford football

We never had great success in football in the county but the ladies team won a few All Ireland's in the 90s and ballymacarbry must hold a record in the GAA for most consecutive county championship wins

The most notable event and a little bit forgotten was the under 21 Munster title win where we played Dublin in the All Ireland semi

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/waterford-kerry-2003-munster-u21-final-396504

We had a few good years in the late 00s/early 10s with a few Championship wins and league promotion but sadly wasn't to be and we went back down after. Most recent success was a qualifier win away to Wexford in 2018 where we went on to meet a much stronger Monaghan side who made it to an All Ireland semi final that year

We remain competitive enough in the club Championships with a few Munster final appearances by Waterford clubs

Waterford football

We never had great success in football in the county but the ladies team won a few All Ireland's in the 90s and ballymacarbry must hold a record in the GAA for most consecutive county championship wins

The most notable event and a little bit forgotten was the under 21 Munster title win where we played Dublin in the All Ireland semi

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/waterford-kerry-2003-munster-u21-final-396504

We had a few good years in the late 00s/early 10s with a few Championship wins and league promotion but sadly wasn't to be and we went back down after. Most recent success was a qualifier win away to Wexford in 2018 where we went on to meet a much stronger Monaghan side who made it to an All Ireland semi final that year

We remain competitive enough in the club Championships with a few Munster final appearances by Waterford clubs

The only time Waterford was competitive in football was in the early '70s. We were in the top tier in Gaelic football and actually played Dublin in Croke Park in the League. We narrowly lost to Cork in the '72 championship in Fermoy. Cork went on to win the All Ireland the following year.

It was the time when there were great teams in Stradbally, John Mitchells, Ardmore, Tramore, KIlrossanty, Affane etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

I've seen people have put up there club team of the last 20 years in different counties. Anyone want to give it a go?

Will do myself but will need to think. Bound to be plenty of controversy in this one!!

SOK Ballygunner

N Connors Passage W Hutchison Ballygunner T O’Gorman FMW

T Browne Mount Sion Philip Mahony Ballygunner K Moran DLS

E Kelly Mount Sion/Passage S O’Sullivan Ballygunner

Padraic Mahony Ballyguuner Ken McGrath Mount Sion S Molumphy Ballyduff Upper

J Mullane DLS M Shanahan Lismore P Flynn Ballygunner

Honourable Mentions:
    I O’Regan Mount Sion
    F Hartley Ballygunner
    M Ferncombe Abbeyside
    H Barnes Ballygunner
    B Phelan DLS
    T Feeney Ballyduff Upper
    E Barrett DLS
    J Barron FMW
    C Carey Passage
    A Kirwan Ballygunner
    N O’Donnell Ballygunner
    B Coughlan Ballygunner
    K Fitzgerald Passage
    S Prendergast Ardmore

I’ll not going to justify all my selections as most pick themselves.

Wayne Hutchinson played a lot of his hurling for Ballygunner at 6 where he was a colossus but As with our county team, there have been issues at full back so he will for in there.
    Thomas O’Gorman has always been a nightmare for any forward in the club championship, a rash and would make any club team in the county.
    Eoin Kelly has an outstanding scoring record for both his clubs and had to be on it and Shane O’Sullivan is a top club player even if I didn’t feel he was quite up to top level intercounty standard and over the last 15 years, he has done his club some service! A great servant for Ballygunner.
    Had to have Ballyduff Upper player in their for their county final success and Molumphy was huge for them, a real leader.
    For me, Maurice was a much better club player than Dan but Dan was a much better intercounty player. I’ve been to club matches where if you didn’t know who Dan was, you wouldn’t pick him out as an intercounty player, never mind a POTY while Maurice consistently scored goals and 10+ points per game.

For some of the honourable mentions, Mark Ferncombe has always provided Abbeyside with scores, while Tom Feeney played senior club hurling up to last year, a true great. Alan Kirwan was always a player I liked with Ballygunner as was Niall O’Donnell in the full back line. A few players I picked carried their clubs and have kept them senior so also included them and other were great servants to their clubs.

I’ve definitely forgotten a few but that would be my selection for a club team from 2000-2020

A few things on the last one.
    Noel Connors played and plays most of his club hurling in the back half line.
    I would actually have Adrian power in goals for the impact he had for Ballyduff from play and frees.
    Alan Kirwan was a great club player for Ballygunner.
    Mark O'Brien was the only man I saw hold Mullane. scoreless.

Harley Barnes is a decent hurley but a lot ahead of him.
    Thought Paul O'Brien was a revelation when moved to midfield for Tallow.

Maurice great club player and was Séamus pender

The only time Waterford was competitive in football was in the early '70s. We were in the top tier in Gaelic football and actually played Dublin in Croke Park in the League. We narrowly lost to Cork in the '72 championship in Fermoy. Cork went on to win the All Ireland the following year.

It was the time when there were great teams in Stradbally, John Mitchells, Ardmore, Tramore, KIlrossanty, Affane etc

Never knw that

Anymore info on that era

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Does anyone know what hurleys (Waterford's) Eoin Kelly used? Lovely looking and a top class hurler aswell.

Never knw that

Anymore info on that era

From memory we played Cork, Galway, Offaly, Kerry, Dublin and Tipperary anyway, not sure who else. We ended up ultimately getting relegated. We beat Tipp and were very competitive against Cork, Galway, Offaly and Kerry, can't remember if we got a win over Cork or Galway. The Dubs beat us easily in Croker.

Offaly beat Kerry in the '72 All Ireland final in a replay.

In '72 we had beaten Limerick in the first round and came up against Cork in Fermoy. They beat us 2-8 to 0-9. We threw it away actually with two silly goals and Wally Connors from the Mitchells going to take out the Cork full forward but only succeeding in taking out Mick Ahearne from Stradbally and the two of them being carried off.

The Waterford team was John Colbert(Ardmore), Mick Ahearne(Stradbally), Jim Wall(The Nire), G. Mooney(?) A Lannon(Kill?), Wally Connors(Mitchells), N Walsh(?), Pa Walsh(Kilrossanty), Johnny Hennessy(Ardmore), Tom Power(Mitchells), Michael Power(Tramore), Tom Casey(Dunhill), Vinny Kirwan(Mitchells), P.McMahon(?), Billy Fleming(Tramore)
    Vinny Rourke(Clasmore), Tom Moore(Dunhill) and Tom Fleming(Tramore) came on as subs.

Waterford had some fabulous footballers around that time. Jim Wall Pa Walsh and Johnny Hennessy were masterful and regulars for Munster. Jim Wall and Pa Walsh won Railway Cup medals in 1972. Monty Guiry from Kill and Pat Clancy from Stradbally also played for Munster. Mick Ahearne was a Kerry man, think he was stationed in Stradbally as a guard. Tom Casey was an even better footballer than he was a hurler and was only around 18 at that time. Vinny Kirwan was also a brilliant footballer. Tommy (Snail) Power from the Mitchells was great to watch too.

I think Mitchells won the county '70, Tramore in '71 and Sradbally in '72. Mitchells again in '73 and Affane in '74. It was a very competitive time for football in the county.

From memory we played Cork, Galway, Offaly, Kerry, Dublin and Tipperary anyway, not sure who else. We ended up ultimately getting relegated. We beat Tipp and were very competitive against Cork, Galway, Offaly and Kerry, can't remember if we got a win over Cork or Galway. The Dubs beat us easily in Croker.

Offaly beat Kerry in the '72 All Ireland final in a replay.

In '72 we had beaten Limerick in the first round and came up against Cork in Fermoy. They beat us 2-8 to 0-9. We threw it away actually with two silly goals and Wally Connors from the Mitchells going to take out the Cork full forward but only succeeding in taking out Mick Ahearne from Stradbally and the two of them being carried off.

The Waterford team was John Colbert(Ardmore), Mick Ahearne(Stradbally), Jim Wall(The Nire), G. Mooney(?) A Lannon(Kill?), Wally Connors(Mitchells), N Walsh(?), Pa Walsh(Kilrossanty), Johnny Hennessy(Ardmore), Tom Power(Mitchells), Michael Power(Tramore), Tom Casey(Dunhill), Vinny Kirwan(Mitchells), P.McMahon(?), Billy Fleming(Tramore)
    Vinny Rourke(Clasmore), Tom Moore(Dunhill) and Tom Fleming(Tramore) came on as subs.

Waterford had some fabulous footballers around that time. Jim Wall Pa Walsh and Johnny Hennessy were masterful and regulars for Munster. Jim Wall and Pa Walsh won Railway Cup medals in 1972. Monty Guiry from Kill and Pat Clancy from Stradbally also played for Munster. Mick Ahearne was a Kerry man, think he was stationed in Stradbally as a guard. Tom Casey was an even better footballer than he was a hurler and was only around 18 at that time. Vinny Kirwan was also a brilliant footballer. Tommy (Snail) Power from the Mitchells was great to watch too.

I think Mitchells won the county '70, Tramore in '71 and Sradbally in '72. Mitchells again in '73 and Affane in '74. It was a very competitive time for football in the county.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970%E2%80%9371_National_Football_League_(Ireland)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971%E2%80%9372_National_Football_League_(Ireland)

Thanks for that, I think we drew with Cork and Galway.

Looking at a few of the years after we were in the same division (Division 2) as Dublin and Kildare in 1973/74 and only lost to those 2 and finished 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

In the early 1970s the National Football League was divided into Northern and Southern Divisions. Each division in turn was divided into two groups of eight, with promotion and relegation between the two.

Waterford had a really good team at the time. In 1970-71 they finished second to Tipperary in Group B of the Southern division and were promoted to Group A. There was also a knockout between the top two teams in the two Groups B, with Waterford beating Laois in their semi-final by 1-9 to 0-6 before losing the final to Tipperary by a point, 0-10 to 1-6.

They were very unlucky to be relegated from Group A the following year. They beat Tipperary, drew with Kildare and Galway and lost by a point to Cork, and ended up being relegated by one point.

I remember well their game in Fraher Field against Galway, who were beaten in the All-Ireland final in 1971. It was a really good game which Waterford probably should have won. From memory the Waterford team lined out as follows: Tommy Fleming (Tramore); Mick Connolly (The Nire), Jim Wall (The Nire), Pat Clancy (Stradbally); Noel Walsh (Kilrossanty), Mick Power (Tramore), Achill Lannon (Kill); John Hennessy (Ardmore), Pa Walsh (Kilrossanty); Seán Aherne (Stradbally), Monty Guiry (Kill), Vinny Kirwan (John Mitchels); Billy Fleming (Tramore), Tom Walsh (Kilrossanty), Another. I can’t remember who the other forward was – Vinny Kirwan may have been at corner forward with the missing player on the wing.

There wasn’t a weakness on that team, and with proper training and coaching they would have been a match for any team in the country. John Hennessy was probably the best footballer Waterford every produced until he broke his leg at a relatively early age. The three Walshes from Kilrossanty were all brothers.

In 1972-73 Waterford failed to get out of Group B, with Dublin and Kildare being relegated from Group A. That was unfortunate for Waterford, as Dublin topped the group in 1973-74 with 12 points, Kildare got 11 points and Waterford finished just behind on 10 points. I was at the game against Dublin in Croke Park which Waterford probably would have won when Vinny Kirwan got through on goal late on but Paddy Cullen pulled him down outside the large square denying Waterford the goal they needed to win. I remember Tom Casey of Dunhill, with his mane of blond hair, playing in that game. He was a key player for the Waterford Under 21 hurlers who got to the All-Ireland final later that year.

It is hard to believe that the same Dublin team went on to win the All-Ireland that year – an amazing achievement by Kevin Heffernan. That was the end of that Waterford team, and the county faded away into football obscurity thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Ian OB

The good old days

https://youtu.be/0swxaUdPJ2Y

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement