Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Probably beating Tipperary in 2008. I know it preceded what is my likely my worst memory, but after so many horrible days in Croke Park thinking we'd never get over a semi final it was a great feeling.

We were playing the unbeaten team in the Country on the crest of a wave and they had absolutely no doubt they'd beat us. We've played 12 semis since 98 and only won 2, so while a lot of other Counties probably wouldn't understand why you'd pick a semi final I still think it was significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Moran definitely was anyway

Both were

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

While I accept that lads are looking to generate discussion and possibly distraction with everything that's going on, really nobody can predict what format will be in place as we don't know when there's any possibility of playing a match. And even then presumably there would be a need for a training period in the lead up.

In an attempt not to kill all conversation though, what is your best memory as a Waterford fan? Personally I'd go for the 2002 Munster Final. Beat the reigning all Ireland champions by 8 points playing brilliant hurling. While the All Ireland never followed it felt like a new team full of potential had just arrived.

2017 game versus kk ,58 years to break that duck i was close to crying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Good idea to stir a bit of conversation seeing as there isn't or likely won't be anything to talk about for some time yet.

AI semi final v Tipp in '08 was probably the best memory purely for getting the AI semi final monkey off our backs. As well as seananigans above said about finally getting one over on KK in '17.

Some other honourable mentions that were nearly just as sweet:
    - AI semi final v Cork in '17: played well with Aussie tearing it up and looked like we were going to p!ss it away with Conor Gleeson getting the line but finished strongly to romp home.

- AI quarter final v Tipp in '06: revenge from a few months previous when they knocked us out of Munster and broke the Croke Park hoodoo having not won a game there since Galway in '98.

- League final v KK in '07 mentioned by poster above. Nothing sweeter than hearing that full time whistle when only a point ahead.

- Munster finals '02, '04 and '10 for obvious reasons

- AI quarter final v Cork in '07 (draw and replay). Drawn game was very entertaining and in truth we probably should have lost it had the ref not given us a dubious free in to tie it up in the dying minutes. Dan was on fire.
    The replay wasn't great, miserable conditions in CP a week later but Dan again came up with the goods. This was very memorable as it was the first time in....I don't even know how long (ever?) we beat Cork in CP and to knock them out of the AI series. To put the icing on the cake, we beat them in Munster that year, the league round robin game and the league semi final. Waterford playing Cork 5 times in one year, drawing once and winning 4 would have been unheard of!

While we're at it, what would be your worst memory?
    KK AI final '08 and Limerick AI semi final '07 would be the obvious ones. You could take your pick from any championship game the last two years really but in truth, in either of those years it would've been unlikely we'd have gone all the way anyway which takes the sting out of it a bit.

The worst ones are from defeats in years when we genuinely could've and should've gone all the way. '04 AISF v KK (Iggy's debut) and '06 AISF v Cork (Cathal Naughton and Ken's late batted away effort from DOgC) are good examples IMO. '02 AISF was another horribly wasted chance against an average Clare side.
    We were probably a bit over the hill in 2012 but defeat to Cork in the AIQF that year was another sickener. We were 4 or 5 points up with about 10mins to play, Moran played a long ball into Eoin McGrath who was free near the Cork goal. It was a nailed on handy point to stretch the lead or even the goal chance to bury the game. McGrath fumbled it, Cork cleared and got a point for a big momentum shift. They then tacked on a few more and once they nudged ahead, it was curtains. That remains the last Waterford game I was at and I still think about it. We probably wouldn't have had enough to topple KK or Tipp those years as we were on a bit of a downward spiral from around 09-15. Looking back, we left many of them behind,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

In an attempt not to kill all conversation though, what is your best memory as a Waterford fan? Personally I'd go for the 2002 Munster Final. Beat the reigning all Ireland champions by 8 points playing brilliant hurling. While the All Ireland never followed it felt like a new team full of potential had just arrived.
    The best moment was at the tail end of the drawn Munster final in 1998. Three points down and Paul Flynn was standing over the ball. There was a lot of discussion of whether he should 'take his point' and as he stepped up I remember saying to no-one in particular "he should go for the goal" then followed the flight of the ball right into the back of the net.

Well. After a childhood and adolescence where Waterford were hot garbage every time they got near a (senior) trophy, this was a new experience. The roar that exploded off the terrace...my sister, who had only gone to her first match in the League that year, turning to me and shrieking "was that a goal??"...me shrieking back "YEESS!!!"...then we shrieked at each other. I'm welling up thinking about it. In that one moment, all things seemed possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

Probably beating Tipperary in 2008. I know it preceded what is my likely my worst memory, but after so many horrible days in Croke Park thinking we'd never get over a semi final it was a great feeling.

We were playing the unbeaten team in the Country on the crest of a wave and they had absolutely no doubt they'd beat us. We've played 12 semis since 98 and only won 2, so while a lot of other Counties probably wouldn't understand why you'd pick a semi final I still think it was significant.

I don't think anyone, possibly including some within your own county, saw that one coming. Waterford were seemingly dead and buried after the fairly comprehensive defeat to Clare in Limerick and the "strike" followed soon after.

Kind of made their way back to the semi under the radar while the narrative of the championship seemed to be pointing towards "Will Tipperary stop Kilkenny's bid for three in a row?"

I feckin' hate this "Everyone wrote us off, nobody gave us a chance" narrative that some teams often cling to as very often its not even remotely true, but that game was the ultimate "F--- you" from a team that genuinely was completely written off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I don't think anyone, possibly including some within your own county, saw that one coming. Waterford were seemingly dead and buried after the fairly comprehensive defeat to Clare in Limerick and the "strike" followed soon after.

Kind of made their way back to the semi under the radar while the narrative of the championship seemed to be pointing towards "Will Tipperary stop Kilkenny's bid for three in a row?"

I feckin' hate this "Everyone wrote us off, nobody gave us a chance" narrative that some teams often cling to as very often its not even remotely true, but that game was the ultimate "F--- you" from a team that genuinely was completely written off.

I'll be honest, I was very optimistic. But then I was for the final too, so not sure how much that's worth!!!

Credit to thescoringgoal this was a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Fantastic day but with the benefit of hindsight I wish it were a moral victory as opposed to a real one. The damage the final must have done to the players must have been awful.

In a positive note, 04 Munster final. Best game of hurling I ever saw in my life.

deiseach wrote: »
    The best moment was at the tail end of the drawn Munster final in 1998. Three points down and Paul Flynn was standing over the ball. There was a lot of discussion of whether he should 'take his point' and as he stepped up I remember saying to no-one in particular "he should go for the goal" then followed the flight of the ball right into the back of the net.

Well. After a childhood and adolescence where Waterford were hot garbage every time they got near a (senior) trophy, this was a new experience. The roar that exploded off the terrace...my sister, who had only gone to her first match in the League that year, turning to me and shrieking "was that a goal??"...me shrieking back "YEESS!!!"...then we shrieked at each other. I'm welling up thinking about it. In that one moment, all things seemed possible.

In 98 was the match not a draw and Flynn went for a point but missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I think my highlight would be the '04 Munster Final, marginally ahead of the '02 Final as it was a better game.

There were many lows but nothing comes close to '82 in Thurles. I can still see Ray Cummins tapping over that point.

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »

Barely barely missed iirc

Ball just tailed off in last 5 yards or so from about 100 yards out,we never appreciated the brilliance of paul flynn enough,most skilled hurler i ever seen play for us

I cant fathom a more heart breaking defeat than the 07 all ireland semi,3 weeks playing in a row,2 great games vs cork (possibly wex v kk played an all ireland semi as warmup for 1??)....

terrible start,got back into the game,2 points doen going into injury time,hit the crossbar in front of the hill (where i was),limerick went up the field and got a goal ......such a sense of complete and utter deflation at realising it was all over still hurts

Edit:shout out to a tipp munster final,where they scored 7 or 8 goals and took off their goalie,...still deosnt rackle as bad as the 07 semi

Barely barely missed iirc

Ball just tailed off in last 5 yards or so from about 100 yards out,we never appreciated the brilliance of paul flynn enough,most skilled hurler i ever seen play for us

I cant fathom a more heart breaking defeat than the 07 all ireland semi,3 weeks playing in a row,2 great games vs cork (possibly wex v kk played an all ireland semi as warmup for 1??)....

terrible start,got back into the game,2 points doen going into injury time,hit the crossbar in front of the hill (where i was),limerick went up the field and got a goal ......such a sense of complete and utter deflation at realising it was all over still hurts

Edit:shout out to a tipp munster final,where they scored 7 or 8 goals and took off their goalie,...still deosnt rackle as bad as the 07 semi

You're right, KK v Wexford was a warm up for the Cork v Waterford game, from memory were charged a semi final price as well despite most people there for the second game.

07 still makes me sick. Really believe the beating of KK was there that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

JeffKenna wrote: »

That was a few minutes after the aforementioned goal, easily 100 yards out, last puck of the game.

98 was my first year as a young lad going to matches properly as we had more than one championship match which was us usual.

I remember it all kickstarted with a league win over Tipp in the group stage who had been in the All Ireland final in 97, suddenly there was belief with young lads like Brendan Landers, Brian Flannery, Ken, Dan etc breaking through. Shocked limerick then in a league semi before losing to cork in the final by I think 7 but it was a much closer match than that, they pulled away late on.

We even went to Tralee for the munster 1/4 final when they beat Kerry handy before Tipp in PUC on a roasting hot day. I remember the team running out in front of me and they hopped over a barrier like men possessed just as they entered the pitch but Flynner didn’t, he walked around the barrier, so relaxed, as if he owned the place. Tony Browne was immense in midfield and waterford outhurled Tipp. It was the win that got the ball rolling and the era that waterford were now a force to be reckoned with in munster.

Leaving aside the Clare match, we were out the week after the replay against Galway up in Croker and Galway were expected to roll us over easily enough but again Browne was immense and Growler Daly announced himself on the scene with a goal, think waterford won by 10 in the end after an unreal display!

From my memory, I think we left the semi final behind us. We trailed Kilkenny and started dropping ball into the square instead of taking our points and in the end, time ran out and we lost by a point. That wasn’t a great Kilkenny team and waterford should have won the game and would have been facing Offaly who would have been beatable. They were a good side but had been well beaten in the Leinster final.

Perhaps, in hindsight, 1998 was the best opportunity to win the All-Ireland and make the breakthrough as Offaly, Clare and Wexford had. And who knows, if we had won it, we could have gone on to win more.

Also want to mention the trips to Croke Park in the early 90’s to support our ladies footballers, we weren’t get the chance to go there to support our hurlers so these were great occasions as were the 2 junior All-Ireland football titles waterford won in 99 and possibly 01/02 I think. We beat Meath and Leitrim in them and they were huge days for the football followers in our county.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Some great victories and some harrowing defeats being remembered here!

For list of great victories I'd add the victory over Tipp in the Munster semi final of 1998. This was a game of enormous importance for Waterford, knocking on the door a few years under Gerald McCarthy, all the promise from the fantastic minors and U21s of 1992 which was followed by harrowing defeats to Kerry and and a walloping from Tipp in 1995, it really felt like now or never going into that Tipp game.

With Tipp having lost the previous year's All Ireland final by a couple of points and the winners being guaranteed hurling until August due to the beaten provincial finalists going through the backdoor, with the loser's summer ended there and then, this was a game of huge importance and Waterford stepped up to the plate. I think Paul Flynn scored 10 points and we hit about 20 wides but still managed to get the win and set us up for our first summer of hurling and Croke Park visits since the 1960s...

My abiding memory of the day is the final whistle and there being a massive pitch invasion, like we had won a trophy, and the convoy of cars home hooting their horns through Killeagh and Castlemartyr .... felt like the day we re-emerged properly as a strong hurling force...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

A shrink would have a field day with how discussions of the best days following Waterford quickly veer off into discussions of the worst days following Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

2017 game versus kk ,58 years to break that duck i was close to crying

Go on

Show us that picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I was young in 1998 and only remember small glimpses of it

2002 I remember the family went on holidays too Clare and day of the Munster final but loved the hype ans atmosphere around the place for the weeks that followed. It's a pity we lost the AI semi final to Clare but would we of beat that Kilkenny team ?

2004 and 2006 were great times too with the 04 Munster final win and the 06 QF win over Tipp in Croke Park. AI semi defeats heartbreaking

2007 was very special but yet again time went against us and we lost out in the AI semi final. Think Justin should of went after that

2008 AI semi final win was amazing and the place was hoping up until the final massacre

2009-2011- 2010 Munster final replay win was a major point in those years and it really brightened up the place. Davy got us to Croke Park a lot in those years but sadly couldn't get over the line

2012/2013- AI minor win in 2013 was the major highlight. A Waterford captain on the steps of the Hogan was special and it was the start of a hopefully revival. The seniors at that time were very much in transition mode and the Kilkenny match where we forced them to extra time was one of the good memories

Nice to win the league in 2015 but I found the 2015 Munster semi final win over Cork very special as it was a return to the times of old and we were going back to the big time. 2017 wins over Kilkenny and the AI semi over Cork were special days/nights and the AI final buildup was quite good but a bit tame compared to 2008. Other than the result it was a great day in Croke Park and I will always remember it. Less said about 2018/2019 but we did get to a league final

Hopefully brighter memories for the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Deiselurker

The summer of 98 was a great one as finally Waterford came out of the doldrums and were back in national league final, Munster finals and had their first championship matches in Croke Park for decades since 1963. I was working in a sports shop back then and the Gain feeds sponsored jerseys were sold in huge numbers. One of my workmates was a Tipp fan and I went down to Pairc Ui Chaoimh with him on the bus for the Munster semi final. He was typically confident as a Tipp fan saying this was championship now not the league. Waterford played really well. Frampton paid Leahy back for a few fouls with a fierce shoulder which left Leahy lying on the ground and showed Waterford were really up for it. Big Dan scored a great point to clinch the win after catching a puck out and the final whistle went. That set up a memorable summer where everyone in the county seemed to become a Waterford fan.

The summer of 98 was a great one as finally Waterford came out of the doldrums and were back in national league final, Munster finals and had their first championship matches in Croke Park for decades since 1963. I was working in a sports shop back then and the Gain feeds sponsored jerseys were sold in huge numbers. One of my workmates was a Tipp fan and I went down to Pairc Ui Chaoimh with him on the bus for the Munster semi final. He was typically confident as a Tipp fan saying this was championship now not the league. Waterford played really well. Frampton paid Leahy back for a few fouls with a fierce shoulder which left Leahy lying on the ground and showed Waterford were really up for it. Big Dan scored a great point to clinch the win after catching a puck out and the final whistle went. That set up a memorable summer where everyone in the county seemed to become a Waterford fan.

That shoulder was unbelievable. On the Sunday game Thomas Mulcahy stated "Frampton creamed Leahy" with that one". Good Times, amazing what I remember.

Anyone have any story's from the dark times 70s/80s/early 90s

Heard of the squad getting snack boxes from the Kentucky post training in 1993

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Anyone have any story's from the dark times 70s/80s/early 90s

Heard of the squad getting snack boxes from the Kentucky post training in 1993

Snack Boxes were a treat. It was usually sandwiches in the dressing room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Under 21 Munster final 1992 Noel Dalton got a point kinda falling as he hit it. But caught it sweet. That year winning all Ireland was brilliant for the county. Some class hurlers on that team
    Very young but remember beating cork in replay 1989 on a roasting hot day.

Can't believe I forgot to mention it and surprised nobody else has but anyone remember the debacle that was Limerick in '01 in PUC!? Jesus that was a depressing day. After the highs of '98, it looked like we finally turned a corner but then followed up with summer ending knock outs v Cork in '99 and Tipp in '00.
    Then '01 brought renewed optimism, a young speed merchant by the name of John Mullane made his debut and we still had the core of a strong team with Dan, Flynn, Ken, Tony, Peter Quelly, Hartley, Frampton.
    We raced into an early lead with Limerick unable to cope with Mullane. I think at one stage we were 12 or 13pts up after around 20-25mins. It was baking hot on the banks of the Lee and was shaping up to be a great day.
    Then disaster struck as Limerick got a goal and a few scores to come roaring back. I'll curse the name Brian Begley as he also came back to haunt us in '07 as well.
    All of a sudden the hunter was being the hunted and we were faltering in the second half. Once Limerick got ahead, our goose was cooked. I watched a replay of that game on youtube a year or so ago and the goals we coughed up were criminal. Another summer over with the back door/qualifiers another year away and I remember walking out of PUC that day thinking '98 was just a flash in the pan.

2009 was a decent year for our underage teams. The minors beating Tipp in the Munster final (in Thurles) after being given no hope was fantastic and then following up a few weeks later with the U21's taking them in Dungarvan. Again, Tipp were raging hot favourites with Seamus Callinan on their side.
    Again though, that's as good as it got for both the minors and U21's that year. The minors losing out to Dublin in a crazy game and the U21's beaten by Clare in Dungarvan. The latter was a bitter pill to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Cake Man wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot to mention it and surprised nobody else has but anyone remember the debacle that was Limerick in '01 in PUC!? Jesus that was a depressing day. After the highs of '98, it looked like we finally turned a corner but then followed up with summer ending knock outs v Cork in '99 and Tipp in '00.
    Then '01 brought renewed optimism, a young speed merchant by the name of John Mullane made his debut and we still had the core of a strong team with Dan, Flynn, Ken, Tony, Peter Quelly, Hartley, Frampton.
    We raced into an early lead with Limerick unable to cope with Mullane. I think at one stage we were 12 or 13pts up after around 20-25mins. It was baking hot on the banks of the Lee and was shaping up to be a great day.
    Then disaster struck as Limerick got a goal and a few scores to come roaring back. I'll curse the name Brian Begley as he also came back to haunt us in '07 as well.
    All of a sudden the hunter was being the hunted and we were faltering in the second half. Once Limerick got ahead, our goose was cooked. I watched a replay of that game on youtube a year or so ago and the goals we coughed up were criminal. Another summer over with the back door/qualifiers another year away and I remember walking out of PUC that day thinking '98 was just a flash in the pan.

2009 was a decent year for our underage teams. The minors beating Tipp in the Munster final (in Thurles) after being given no hope was fantastic and then following up a few weeks later with the U21's taking them in Dungarvan. Again, Tipp were raging hot favourites with Seamus Callinan on their side.
    Again though, that's as good as it got for both the minors and U21's that year. The minors losing out to Dublin in a crazy game and the U21's beaten by Clare in Dungarvan. The latter was a bitter pill to swallow.

I think your mixing up the minor years. After we won the Munster minor in 09’ we were well beaten by Galway in the semi after. That crazy game v Dublin was another year, I think we scored 5 goals but still ended up losing by something like 12 points

I think your mixing up the minor years. After we won the Munster minor in 09’ we were well beaten by Galway in the semi after. That crazy game v Dublin was another year, I think we scored 5 goals but still ended up losing by something like 12 points

You are indeed correct, that was 2011 where we beat KK in the AIQF and then the goal fest against Dublin where we scored 5 but shipped 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

You are indeed correct, that was 2011 where we beat KK in the AIQF and then the goal fest against Dublin where we scored 5 but shipped 6.

That minor win vs Tipp in 09 was big for us aswell, even if we had to wait a few more years to actually win an AI at that grade. It was a great tonic after the doom and gloom of 08 AI defeat to KK and a a sense that it was the end of the line for that Waterford side. We followed up that win with some more very good underage teams soon after and we stayed very competitive post that Gerald/Justin era and thankfully haven’t slipped back to the bad old days of the 80s and 90s. Some people will argue the performances of the past 2 seasons tell a different story but I think that’s not a true reflection of where we’re at and we’ve the right man in charge again.

We’re not the biggest or strongest of the hurling counties and will never be serial AI winners like the ‘big 3’. But we’ll always be fiercely competitive continue a tradition of producing some wonderfully talented hurlers.

https://youtu.be/1LvAdrw43NA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Waterford hammering Tipp in the Munster final in 2002 was a special day. For all the good performances since 1998, this was the first proper trophy, and against the reigning All Ireland champions.

The second one for me is Waterford beating Kerry in the 2003 Munster U21 football final. A last minute goal from Shane Walsh to beat a Kerry team full of stars by a point on a beautiful sunny evening in Walsh Park.

That Kerry team was laden down with guys who won several All Ireland's - including Gooch Cooper, and it was amazing to see a Waterford team win any Munster championship, but to win it in football at home in Waterford was pretty special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I loved watching Waterford in the Munster Final in 2004. Probably one of the best days in Waterford hurling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement