Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Hope your right but can't see this team being successful without any top class forwards.

Bennett is top class. And theres a few of the rest that are more than adequate. They are trying alot harder than last year. They never got close to winning today but there is a marked improvement. Limerick are very good. They are so compact. And then the physicality buts teams on the back foot. They must be in with a good chance again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Overall a good workout with loads of room for improvement. Great goal by Fagan. Think next day Mahony should not be on the frees . Limerick are a very solid side and will be a force in the Championship

Draw/win for Tipp tomorrow it's a home QF vs Wexford and a Galway win/draw its Kilkenny in the QF with coin toss for the venue. Both will be a massive test for us so dont really matter who we get. Glad to have another game
    draw tomorrow and ye play Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

draw tomorrow and ye play Wexford

No Tipp and Galway would only be on 5pts and finish 3rd/4th. We have 6pts

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Missed the game completely and only heard snippets via radio when I could.

How did Daly play at centre back or did he play in that position?
    Power came on?

Any surprise stand out positives from the day?

Who do we have on the quarters now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

PTH2009 wrote: »
    No Tipp and Galway would only be on 5pts and finish 3rd/4th. We have 6pts
    yes your right, apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

I wonder would Giveitfong in his next report count how many times a Waterford player- fails to lift/fails to control/drops a ball- it's killing us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Very doubtful therell be any success this year bar maybe a Munster final anyway, this year is about building

How many of today’s team will actually start in the championship? Cahill giving youth a chance but cannot write the year off based on an experimental team, which actually done well tonight for what it’s worth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Hartley kept banging on on the radio that we were getting fouled the whole time.. True?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

I am too happy with yesterday's performance. Look we never looked like winning but still kept in the game by consistent effort all game. Positives thought Daly,Fagan and P Hogan when came showed well. Midfield our best line (most experienced). Fullback line looked ok again considering probably most dangerous team in the country. But as has been since Cahill started effort was excellent, great to see players giving everything.

Interesting comments on Gleeson by Cahill, seems he's being punished for indiscipline. No harm, really hope he does learn. Be great to see Gleeson play well without silly behaviour come championship.

Many positives really Limerick put out much more likely 1st choice 15 than us too but we do have a lot to learn still to try get to their level. Weather was poor but Limericks touch was much better than ours something we need to improve on and hopefully will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

thesultan wrote: »
    Hartley kept banging on on the radio that we were getting fouled the whole time.. True?

Both WLR commentators didnt seem to have a clue what was going on half the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

paddy13 wrote: »
    I am too happy with yesterday's performance. Look we never looked like winning but still kept in the game by consistent effort all game. Positives thought Daly,Fagan and P Hogan when came showed well. Midfield our best line (most experienced). Fullback line looked ok again considering probably most dangerous team in the country. But as has been since Cahill started effort was excellent, great to see players giving everything.

Interesting comments on Gleeson by Cahill, seems he's being punished for indiscipline. No harm, really hope he does learn. Be great to see Gleeson play well without silly behaviour come championship.

Many positives really Limerick put out much more likely 1st choice 15 than us too but we do have a lot to learn still to try get to their level. Weather was poor but Limericks touch was much better than ours something we need to improve on and hopefully will.

Positive signs all round which means we will challenge Munster this year. The talent is there and now we seem to have a strong manager who isn't afraid to try things or change things up. It bodes well so lets give them time.

Gleeson is a great talent and he needs proper managing. Hopefully Cahill is that guy. If Gleeson doesn't react positively to him then its time for Gleeson to be cut altogther.

Limerick are an exciting team who are of course ahead of us but we never let them take complete control just as we done against Tipp. I think from now on in Cahill will have a more settled team which should bring us nicely to the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

I think we missed Austin Gleeson more than we think yesterday. With Hegarty cleaning up, we had no one with the physicality to deal with him without possibly taking Prunty out of full back.
    While Lyons, Daly & Tom Barron showed signs of their potential, they looked like boys compared to Hegarty. I think he has 3 goals against Waterford now I’ve the last 2 years but he’s more than size, he left Moran for dead with his pace in Walsh Park last year. Gleeson May be able to compete with him leaving us to try get our other match-ups right in defense. Prunty done his best on Gillane but it’s the supply of quality ball into space that killed Prunty, he has to stay goal side and mind the house so any ball played into the space outside Gillane makes it near to impossible for the full back. Conor Gleeson was better on Mulcahy than McNulty was while similarly, McNulty done better on Dempsey than Gleeson did. Daly got the better of Reidy despite not playing much ball himself and Tom Barron can be pleased on how he did on Boylan. If that was how they matched, I’m not certain.

I still think the big difference is the quality of ball out forwards get compared to the opposition and the movement up top is key to this. Limerick instinctively know where the ball is going to go and start their runs according giving themselves a head start on opposition defenders. Their interplay up top comes from experience of playing with each other and Paul Kinnerks undoubted quality coaching. Waterford forwards revived a lot of 50:50 ball, which is better than the ball in to when we had 1 forward against 2 backs but it’s still not sticking enough. The amount of time Waterford attacks broke down, and Limerick seemed to work a simple score with direct hurling with balls played into space was the major contrast I found.

We are still a work in progress but there are plenty of positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

What did Cahill say about Gleeson?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    What did Cahill say about Gleeson?

Something along the lines of ‘there’s still a lot of work to be done behind the scenes with Austin’, after he had said he was carrying a ‘little bit of an injury’

It’s clear Cahill won’t stand for any type of indiscipline on the field of play and it’s a strong message that there is no one bigger than the team no matter who you are

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Anyone else a bit concerned about the form of Paudi Mahoney? Liam Cahill was praising him after the Galway game but I haven't felt like he has impressed at all so far.

Kilkenny it is so

Coin toss for home advantage but really should be us as Laois gave up home advantage to Kilkenny last weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Another savage test before the championship, good draw regardless of venue.

Another savage test before the championship, good draw regardless of venue.

Very exciting challenge

Prob Sunday game

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

It's exactly what we need. A winner takes all vs a top tier team, and still only march.

Hopefully we get a dry week.

I'm also happy enough with yesterday - yes the first half was very bad - but the one thing we've missed in recent years is the ability to play our selves back into games, and yesterday they certainly did that. Jamie baron controlled midfield for most of the second half too.

Nothing to get excited about just yet, but signs of movement in the right direction.

Anyone else a bit concerned about the form of Paudi Mahoney? Liam Cahill was praising him after the Galway game but I haven't felt like he has impressed at all so far.

Hes been very poor,even in munster club with ballygunner last year,he won MOTM in some games and i taught he was average enough

Is that mikeal mahony his younger brother??,im suprised he didnt get a call up,as he seems type of player who'd be perfect fit for way cahill sets out the team

• Advertisement

Pauric has been poor with a couple years now. 16’ and 17’ he was one of the top forwards in the country imo after that horrible injury in 15’. But has gone back a lot in the past year or 2 unfortunately. Also, went missing under Fanning like most others but his face seems to fit better than Noelie and Maurice’s for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

I find it amazing, no one on here [esp those who are critical of other players, who are at least giving their all], failing to acknowledge or even mention, Liam Cahill's words re Austin Gleeson, he basically said he's not fit [Not Injured] just not fit, you saw it in the two games he played, what a talent, but he's going to waste it, and yes that is his own business, what a waste though.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Was happy enough with our performance on Saturday night. It was a very experimental side playing a very strong Limerick side on their own patch. If you want to learn, then that is the standard you have to set yourself against. We did also continue to create a number of goal chances which is something we have failed to do regularly in the past. We also continue to make bad errors and choices, and on a couple of occasions on Saturday picking the wrong option when we had a score on, resulted in a turn over that Limerick scored from, resulting in a two point swing. I know these often happen in games but several of our were totally unforced errors, just bad choices and execution and these are things that can be worked on.

Yes some of the lads did not show up on the night, but to be honest i would not be discarding any of them at this stage based on what i have seen. Saturday night will have been an eye opener for some of these lads as to what they can expect come championship - lads who played underage and might have thought based on those experiences they knew what to expect, what we now must look for is how they will react.

On the positives i think Jack Fagan has once again put up his hand and shown a hunger to succeed, and this is one guy who can serisouls win his own ball. I think our full back line coped well, considering the amount and quality of the ball played into the Limerick full-forward line, (never mind to speak of the quality of that full forward line itself) . Our half back line was very inexperienced against a top quality Limerick Line, but I felt again coped reasonably well and never gave up.

Most of the damage was done i felt in our failure to push up on the Limerick players in their half of the field. They always had extra men back their creating little triangles and off loading the ball quickly, moving it forward. This is very hard to stop when they build momentum and was on most occasions the reason they were able to deliver such quality ball. I feel you have to be a little braver, matching their numbers in that area of the field and pressuring them there, make it more difficult for them to secure primary possession and build momentum. Kilkenny done this to good effect last year and won the day. A risky strategy i know given the quality of the Limerick forwards , but i think any strategy against Limerick carries risks.

If people think back to the year we won the League under Derek we played with a similar style using our famed "Sweeper" to give us numerical advantage at the back and allowing us to build momentum and spread the play wide. Worked all well and fine until the opposition pushed up on DeBurca and started forcing turnovers in our part of the field. For the record I am not comparing our players with Limerick but they were similar strategies - initially at least until we started pulling more and more players back to try and regain the numerical advantage in our half resulting in the law of diminishing returns coming into play and we had nobody up the field to threaten the opposition.

Overall happy with progress, but still plenty of work to do.

Nowlan Park next Sunday 15th March time TBC

2pm it seems

Will we see our strongest available 15 start?

Is Austin out until championship or will he be considered?

How did Patrick Curran play yesterday? Just saw the League Sunday clip where he went for goal. Substitute Power got a nice point and Fagan took his goal well. Hogan got another nice point. Didn’t see much else going on really. Hard to judge from a few highlights.

How did Patrick Curran play yesterday? Just saw the League Sunday clip where he went for goal. Substitute Power got a nice point and Fagan took his goal well. Hogan got another nice point. Didn’t see much else going on really. Hard to judge from a few highlights.

Unfortunately had very little impact again. Was really hoping he would nail down a place this year and Cahill has given him every chance. Would have to say he has not taken the opportunity. Impressive the first day V Cork but in games after that has had very minimal impact.No doubting his ability but his movement and hurling is too slow and he finds it really difficult to win his own ball. Had a great chance of a goal on Saturday but was unable to make space and snatched at it and put it wide. Top inside forwards put away chances like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Curran would be the type of player I'd expect to be eaten without salt against Kilkenny at the weekend. Cork are a team that play entertaining shootouts, but every game against the likes of Tipp, Limerick and Kilkenny turns into a war of attrition.

One thing noticeable from the Limerick game was that four of the five subs coming off the bench got on the scoresheet. That's fairly unusual for Waterford - normally either one or none of our subs would manage to get scores coming from the bench - so hopefully this signals a deeper squad and an ability to make changes during games that'll have an impact.

The final thing that struck me about the weekend is how a coin toss decided home advantage. I'm sure it was contained in the game rules in advance, but we as the second placed team in Group A are playing the third placed team in Group B, and teams finishing second should have earned home advantage in my opinion.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Curran would be the type of player I'd expect to be eaten without salt against Kilkenny at the weekend. Cork are a team that play entertaining shootouts, but every game against the likes of Tipp, Limerick and Kilkenny backs into a war of attrition.

One thing noticeable from the Limerick game was that four of the five subs coming off the bench got on the scoresheet. That's fairly unusual for Waterford - normally either one or none of our subs would manage to get scores coming from the bench - so hopefully this signals a deeper squad an ability to make changes during games that'll have an impact.

The final thing that struck me about the weekend is how a coin toss decided home advantage. I'm sure it was contained in the game rules in advance, but we as the second placed team in Group A are playing the third placed team in Group B, and teams finishing second should have earned home advantage in my opinion.

Agree RE Subs- was impressed by Billy Power - not named on 26 but I'm sure he came on. Also came on against Westmeath and scored a point. He's dogged and has pace. All of Fagan, Lyons and Hogan did well when they came on and you'd have to think they're ahead of Curran at this point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

What's the latest on Kieran Bennett and what's the chances of getting Shane Bennett back ,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement