Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

I Hear a lot of changes will be made to sundays game. supposedly the team was named from last week who would be playing this week. So id imagine a lot of people who didnt play last week will play this week. I Heard Shaun O brien is starting on goal anyway. would expect to see pauric and a few others also

No disrespect to Westmeath but this is the game to try a group untested lads and see how they get on and then include 3/4 of the more likely lads in other games.

It can be tough for players to impress when some many are thrown in together so it would be great if a few more got game time with more established players later on in the league against Limerick, Tipp and Galway such as Daly, Fagan, Montgomery got their chance last weekend.

If we have 2 wins under our belts before these games, we are guaranteed safe and 1 more win should be enough to guarantee a 1/4 final slot so they are great opportunities to give lads a chance and get the injured players such as Barron and Gleeson on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,023 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No disrespect to Westmeath but this is the game to try a group untested lads and see how they get on and then include 3/4 of the more likely lads in other games.

It can be tough for players to impress when some many are thrown in together so it would be great if a few more got game time with more established players later on in the league against Limerick, Tipp and Galway such as Daly, Fagan, Montgomery got their chance last weekend.

If we have 2 wins under our belts before these games, we are guaranteed safe and 1 more win should be enough to guarantee a 1/4 final slot so they are great opportunities to give lads a chance and get the injured players such as Barron and Gleeson on the pitch.

The way the QFs work is 1st in 1A and 1B go straight to the semi final and its 2nd/3rd in each group battling it out in the QFs. Only 6th in each group go into the relegation playoff

After us beating Galway both times last year in the league they will want revenge

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

No hes 18 currently and will turn 19 this year

Iarlaith Daly came on as a sub (and played well) for Waterford in their Under 21 game against Cork in June 2018. That means he was, at most, 17 at the time and maybe only 16. Is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Iarlaith Daly came on as a sub (and played well) for Waterford in their Under 21 game against Cork in June 2018. That means he was, at most, 17 at the time and maybe only 16. Is that possible?

He would not have been younger than 17.

To settle the argument I think he is 19, not 18. Maybe just turned 19 towards the end of last year

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

He would not have been younger than 17.

To settle the argument I think he is 19, not 18. Maybe just turned 19 towards the end of last year

What age is his younger brother? I watched the Harty semi final and he is a big unit! Can't be far of a senior call up either, looks like a ready made Senior

There is no wait for young lads to fill out anymore! They are all there already anyway

• Advertisement

JesusRef wrote: »
    What age is his younger brother? I watched the Harty semi final and he is a big unit! Can't be far of a senior call up either, looks like a ready made Senior

There is no wait for young lads to fill out anymore! They are all there already anyway

Don't think he is minor this year, possibly overage

Its a pity we don't have more lads playing Harty Cup. You look at the likes of Cork and Tipp with 5 or 6 schools each competing, its no wonder they seem to have a conveyor belt of talent at u20 level the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

DCU V WIT live online tonight. Throw in at 7:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

DCU V WIT live online tonight. Throw in at 7:30.
    Any links

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Some posters on this thread have warned us against getting carried away by Waterford’s win against Cork last Sunday. At the same time, I think the victory, and the manner of its achievement, carry real significance.

For a start, the game was not played in driving rain and wind, on a mucky pitch, which would be typical for this time of the year. It was a fine day, and under-foot conditions were quite good. This allowed for a competitive game of good quality between two committed teams, both of whom wanted to win.

Waterford went into the game short five of their top players – Austin Gleeson, Tadhg de Búrca, Kevin Moran, Pauric Mahony and Jamie Barron. Cork were also short a few (the two Cadogans, Colm Spillane, Christy Joyce), but these would not be of the same calibre. In particular, Cork went into the game with what was close to their first-line midfield and forward line.

Cork can also point to their 17 wides against just ten for Waterford as evidence that they were the better team on the field of play. Against this, Stephen Bennett failed to convert six scorable frees while Pat Horgan missed just one for Cork. A better freetaker and more careful protection of the five-point lead they took into added time would have given Waterford a comfortable margin of victory.

Waterford supporters will have come away from this game with a mixture of joy and relief. Following two years without a championship victory there will have been fears that Waterford may have been falling out of the top tier of hurling counties. This is clearly not the case. Last Sunday Waterford produced a reassuring combination of good hurling, hard work and commitment. The way they worked their way back into the game, and then took it over, following the initial two-goal setback, was impressive, especially given the inexperience of much of the team.

Another source of delight was the excellent performances of last Sunday’s debutants. Added to the three gems who came to light in 2019 (Prunty, Lyons and Prendergast), this shows that the supply line of good new talent remains in good order. There are the makings here of a strong panel for later in the year.

The biggest question of all going into last Sunday’s game was whether we would see signs of the new management/coaching team of Liam Cahill and Michael Bevans having an impact. For me, the three main requirements of good management are commitment, skill and organisation. All three were in evidence last Sunday. As regards tactics, the main features of the Waterford display were the preparedness of players to take on their immediate opponents, quick and effective passing movements, and a fluid playing formation which saw players turning up in different positions all over the pitch, without an overall loss of shape. It will obviously take the new management time to perfect their desired way of playing, but the initial signs are encouraging.

One of the things they will need to work on is puckout strategy. Stephen O’Keeffe hit 24 long puckouts last Sunday, of which Cork won 15. This ratio needs to be greatly improved. Cork, by contrast, are a team which obviously works hard on this aspect of their game. They have a well-developed system for working short puckouts through the lines, while their players in the midfield area repeatedly find space to receive directed puckouts from Anthony Nash. No less than 20 of Cork’s 35 puckouts were either short or directed puckouts.

One might have expected Cork to go long more often, given that they had located their big ballwinners up front, Seamus Harnedy and Aidan Walsh, on the wings. As it happened, of the 15 long puckouts struck by Nash, Waterford won an extraordinary 13. This is a great tribute to the half backs and other players funnelling back to help out in the puckout landing areas.

As regards individual performances, Conor Prunty did a great job in keeping Patrick Horgan scoreless. His ability to use his height, long reach and strength to prevent his direct opponent from winning possession is particularly noteworthy. Beside him, Shane McNulty must have been a contender for man of the match. While he lacks the physicality normally expected of a corner back, he more than makes up for it with his anticipation and sheer skill level.

It was great to see Darragh Fives back, and he held the centre of the defensive line very effectively. The real star of the show for me was his half-back colleague Iarlaith Daly who gave an astonishing display for one so young and making his debut. He played with extraordinary assurance, got on the ball 14 times, and used every possession to good effect. I particularly liked the way he took on his man, bringing the ball out and creating a good attacking platform.

I was delighted to see Neil Montgomery and Jack Fagan doing well here, as both had failed to make any impact in their first senior game in the Waterford colours against the same opposition in the Munster League in Dungarvan. Clearly Liam Cahill sees something in them, and was happy to give them another chance, which they grabbed with both hands. Montgomery produced an excellent pass which allowed Calum Lyons to drive through the Cork defence to set up the Waterford goal. Montgomery also nearly got through himself shortly afterwards, only to be taken out by a cynical foul which would have earned a black card in Gaelic football and a red card in soccer.

I have been surprised by how little game time Kieran Bennett has got in the Waterford jersey over the last two years, given the impact he had in the later stages of the 2017 championship and his displays at club level. I was therefore delighted by his wonderful display of stickwork last Sunday. I was equally delighted to see Patrick Curran producing what was probably his finest hour at senior level for Waterford. His confidence was completely shattered by his experience of the Derek McGrath era and it is good to see that it is well on the way to complete recovery.

Unfortunately, Dessie Hutchinson did not have the hoped-for impact on his senior debut. He just did not get the kind of incoming ball which has worked so well for him with Ballygunner (apart from one excellent delivery from Jake Dillon in the first half). However, we all know what he is capable of, and I expect Liam Cahill will be working hard on this in the coming weeks.

Finally, we should acknowledge the contribution of Tom Barron, who put in a very useful shift after replacing Neil Montgomery in the 59th minute. Barron’s accelerated elevation to the county senior panel may have surprised some, but on this evidence it is well merited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Any links

Easiest way is probably by going to the 42.ie and go to the article on it

Is Aussie playing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is Aussie playing ?

Came on with less than 5 minutes to go, just as a desperation attempt to get goals.

Came on with less than 5 minutes to go, just as a desperation attempt to get goals.

Got a goal from a free, DCU way better team

Aussie probably starting sunday. Anyone travelling up??? Sadly wont make it but will be listening on the radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Aussie probably starting sunday. Anyone travelling up??? Sadly wont make it but will be listening on the radio

He won't start Sunday, he shouldn't have come on tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Yeah, definitely going Sunday. Been a while since I was in Mullingar for a match. Recommendations for where to park?

I'll be there , sure where else would ya be !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

KevIRL wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely going Sunday. Been a while since I was in Mullingar for a match. Recommendations for where to park?
    super valu car park very close to the ground, Austin friars car park its called just checked Google maps

Billy Nolan
    Shane fives
    Conor prunty
    Shane McNulty
    Kieran power
    Darragh fives
    Iarlaith daly
    Kieran Bennett
    Mark o Brien
    Neil Montgomery
    Darragh Lyons
    Jack Fagan
    Dessie Hutchinson
    Stephen Bennett
    Patrick Curran

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I see MJ Sutton is on the bench. What club is he again?

Also Mahony and Moran back on the bench.

• Advertisement

I see MJ Sutton is on the bench. What club is he again?

Also Mahony and Moran back on the bench.

MJ is Ferrybank

Strong enough team and nice to see Cahill giving lads more chances

Guess that rumour of massive changes to the team this week was BS all along

Strong enough team and nice to see Cahill giving lads more chances

Guess that rumour of massive changes to the team this week was BS all along
    5 changes

KevIRL wrote: »
    Billy Nolan
    Shane fives
    Conor prunty
    Shane McNulty
    Kieran power
    Darragh fives
    Iarlaith daly
    Kieran Bennett
    Mark o Brien
    Neil Montgomery
    Darragh Lyons
    Jack Fagan
    Dessie Hutchinson
    Stephen Bennett
    Patrick Curran

Sticking with a lot of the lads that performed the last day. Proper order. It’s up to the lads yet to come back to fight to get their place

Dont knw his name but is the physio that was with us during the Derek era now with Tipp ???

Looks very like him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Dont knw his name but is the physio that was with us during the Derek era now with Tipp ???

Looks very like him

Michael grant?

Decent Waterford crowd here. Jake Dillon starts in place of Kieran Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

that skully on co commentary ?

Very happy with that scoreline

• Advertisement

Disappointing performance overall, especially second half.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement