Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

KevIRL wrote: »
    Disaster start. Two early cork goals

2-1 to 0-1 now

1-4 TO 2-2 HELL OF A COMEBACK great movement and speed from both teams , great conditions in fairness the bit of cool air has firmed the ground nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Better team now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Sounds like the lads fought back well

my god lads, expected to lose today, after the first 2 goals, I had the game written off, my god what a performance so far ,absolute hunger curran and Jack Fagan playing a stormer

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Fagan is like a man possessed. I guess he wants to earn a start next day.

• Advertisement

puzl wrote: »
    Fagan is like a man possessed. I guess he wants to earn a start next day.

Can we offer him a key to the city or something ? feel like we really need to claim him .amazing he's been pluggin away for 4 years to see finally what he can do, MOTM please god

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Can we offer him a key to the city or something ? feel like we really need to claim him .amazing he's been pluggin away for 4 years to see finally what he can do, MOTM please god

Claim him?

Claim him?

as in he's from meath

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

as in he's from meath

Think we all know that , and what ? He will transfer back ? It's not soccer!

Think we all know that , and what ? He will transfer back ? It's not soccer!

I meant (in a sarcastic manner) that we needed to make sure it didnt happen

in fairness he looks to be an absolute starter from now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Thought we played really well, its early doors but a lot of positive signs from the new management. Im sure the wheels will come off again at some stage and bigger questions will be asked but for today I'll take that, a good win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I meant (in a sarcastic manner) that we needed to make sure it didnt happen

in fairness he looks to be an absolute starter from now

Can't be sarcastic bitter and argumentative is only allowed!!
    Good win nearly ran out of legs but good performance from most fellas in fairness especially after the disaster of s start.

Thought we played really well, its early doors but a lot of positive signs from the new management. Im sure the wheels will come off again at some stage and bigger questions will be asked but for today I'll take that, a good win.

maybe its selective memory, but i can't think of a more important win against cork since the 2010 munster final replay and the 2017 all ireland semi

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Very positive outing, especially considering the start, again the young lads impressed with Iarlaith Daly outstanding I felt. Shane McNulty, Callum Lyons & Darragh Fives also had fine games at the back and Curran & Kieran Bennett played well upfront, I felt Stephen wasted a lot of ball, some of his shot selection was poor and his frees were inconsistent but he did get 3 fine points from play which is a good return. Dessie will have better days but great to see him in a waterford jersey.
    Seemed to be some system of play, wing backs allowed bomb on and play off the shoulder and run at the opposition. Curran and Bennett seemed to move in and out and weren’t confined to staying inside. Savage work rate throughout was dominant feature I felt and good movement for SoK’s puckouts but his accuracy will have to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

maybe its selective memory, but i can't think of a more important win against cork since the 2010 munster final replay and the 2017 all ireland semi

You could be right in terms of a confidence booster with new players and management. Jack Fagan and K Bennett in the half forward line today are good finds out of the blocks. Impressed with Iarla Daly and Calum Lyons. Cahill is showing already he's not afraid to try new things and there's definitely a new look about things already.

You could be right in terms of a confidence booster with new players and management. Jack Fagan and K Bennett in the half forward line today are good finds out of the blocks. Impressed with Iarla Daly and Calum Lyons. Cahill is showing already he's not afraid to try new things and there's definitely a new look about things already.

we all knew about both of them 4 years ago, i'm delighted they both had their chance, I was hoping jack would get the motm but shane a worthy winner ,his speech really hit home for me,this game was huge, it's only the league but it was huge ,and to come back from a 2 goal deficit like that, the meitheal was on full display

absolutely delighted , typical waterford, when you expect to lose, the ****ers pull a win out of their arse and suck you back in , into believing against your best judgment

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great win but could easily been a draw. Some very good performances. Early days yet with plenty of work still to do

We should beat Westmeath next weekend and then have noting to lose against Limerick, Galway (Home) and Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

we all knew about both of them 4 years ago, i'm delighted they both had their chance, I was hoping jack would get the motm but shane a worthy winner ,his speech really hit home for me,this game was huge, it's only the league but it was huge ,and to come back from a 2 goal deficit like that, the meitheal was on full display

absolutely delighted , typical waterford, when you expect to lose, the ****ers pull a win out of their arse and suck you back in , into believing against your best judgment

It'll be better for your sanity if you calm down a bit. It was an ecouraging performance but it was one league game that we could have thrown away in the end.

It'll be better for your sanity if you calm down a bit. It was an ecouraging performance but it was one league game that we could have thrown away in the end.

i'm not disagreeing with that, but do you disagree with what i said? I was at both those games, im sorry i wasnt there today ,even if we lost that was one hell of a comeback , we went 6 down in 3 minutes
    if we lost by 2 or 3 that was no defeat

i'm not disagreeing with that, but do you disagree with what i said? I was at both those games, im sorry i wasnt there today ,even if we lost that was one hell of a comeback , we went 6 down in 3 minutes
    if we lost by 2 or 3 that was no defeat

It's January.

• Advertisement

It's January.

ok, let me ask this as a direct question , tell me what performance against cork since the semi final in 17 you consider better ? and tell me what you would rate as better than both the 2010 replay and the 2017 final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

I think seananigans is PTH2009's alter ego. Some tripe he is sprouting.

Decent game. Very encouraging start. Onto next game. Looking forward to possession count Masters review later :D

Gardner wrote: »
    I think seananigans is PTH2009's alter ego. Some tripe he is sprouting.

Decent game. Very encouraging start. Onto next game. Looking forward to possession count Masters review later :D

well ignore my question then, you call tripe but you completely ignore what i said, . i opened a discussion , would you like me to repeat the question ?

ok, let me ask this as a direct question , tell me what performance against cork since the semi final in 17 you consider better ? and tell me what you would rate as better than both the 2010 replay and the 2017 final

I didn't answer your question because it was nonsense.

You didn't ask about a better performance. You said it was important. You compared the 2010 replay and the 2017 semi final in importance to a January league game. Nonsense.

Today's game wasn't important by any metric. It was encouraging. Full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

It's only January but you need to appreciate a good win and that was indeed a very good win. Two early goals in under three minutes would have lost many a game for us and we'd be talking about how we outperformed our opponents from that point on but today we fought very very hard and deservedly won the game.

As a few have mentioned, Iarlaith Daly was outstanding, as were Calum Lyons and the Bennetts. Patrick Curran may have a new life under Liam Cahill and it's great to see him getting those important scores. Prunty, McNulty and Darragh Fives were all solid. Fagan was fantastic in the first half too and really impressed with his work rate.

We have a lot to work on and there are few positions where we're in trouble still.
    Also we need to better use Dessie other than having him on his own at the edge of the square and then not playing any ball into the wings for him to run out to which was probably the plan but just didn't happen. Shane Bennett came to mind at times when I saw him standing isolated. While on the Bennett's, I never knew Kieren was such a fine hurler and Stephen continues to impress with a seriously good run of form and savage work rate.

When Aussie and Barron are back fit, there'll be plenty of competition for places in the middle third.

All in all, a good start by Liam Cahill and praise to him to for quickly integrating some new lads into the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭carter10

A positive start to Cahills reign. As always some positives and some negatives.
    Negatives: Stephen O'Keefe again today cost us scores by really poor puck outs a number of them also going straight out over the line. He is costing us points each game and I think his position really needs to be looked at.
    Stephen Bennett got some great scores and was really effective in open play but he is not a reliable free taker from distance. Should have been taken off long range frees earlier.
    Full back line- obviously all over the place early on but also late in the game conceded a poor goal with Fives being very easily rounded and that was after a similar chance was coughed up before that.

Positives: Work rate was very good all over the field and for the full 70.
    Largely remained calm in position and at times worked the ball well into scoring positions.
    The big plus was the performance of some of the debutants, in particular, Iirlaith Daly who really impressed. Fagan was good until he faded in the second half.
    Patrick Curran getting a chance and showing he can deliver on the promise he showed underage.
    Kieran Bennett giving us a badly needed scoring option in the forwards.

Early days yet and I wouldn't be getting carried away but in the past those two early goals would have finished us and it's a very positive sign the team had the ability and workrate to turn that around.
    Hutchinson had a difficult day but it's early days for him as well. With a bit of experience and on drier ground - and with the right ball he could offer us much more.

At the very least we have a number of new players who bring promise and a badly needed boost to lift us from the doom and gloom of the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,525 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

As others have said, Kieran Bennett, Daly, fagan, McNulty, Curran all very good. Hutchinson will be disappointed, too many of our frees were poor and our puck outs not great again.

Good to get the win, the league counts for absolutely nothing these days as we saw last year. But still, new manager and all that plus good to beat one of the Munster sides that have had the indian sign over us in recent years. Also encouraging to raise a decent score of 1-24.

The end to the first half was mad with play continuing for about a minute while a bout of handbags involving ten-ish players was taking place over near the touchline by the dugouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Patrick Curran was my man of the match, big scores and some awesome turnovers in that second half. Winning ball he'd no right to win, which was great to see as its an area of his game you'd have said needed to improve.

Work ethic was fantastic all round and the big thing to take away. We definitely looked to have a fitness edge so that has to be considered, Cork will be better in June. Also spine of defense had big problems today, those goals were shocking and they could have had a fourth. But an encouraging start and nice to get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Anyone know how the Dalys ended up playing with CBC in the Harty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Anyone know how the Dalys ended up playing with CBC in the Harty?

As far I’m aware, CBC have a scholarship system in place to attract hurlers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement