Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gary Gurney

Giveitfong wrote: »
    There obviously is much interest in, and speculation about, how much change we will see in the Waterford hurling panel this year under Liam Cahill’s management. Thus far, there has been only limited sign of change. Of the 31 players who togged out for the Munster League games against Cork and Kerry, just nine were newcomers: Iarlaith Daly, Kieran Power, Neil Montgomery, Jack Fagan, Tom Barron, Shaun O’Brien, Dessie Hutchinson, Shane Ryan and MJ Sutton (the only one to get no game time, as far as I am aware). I think Jack Fagan may have been on the extended panel at some stage in the Derek McGrath era, but he is an effective newcomer.

While obviously Cahill excluded a couple of high-profile members from the outgoing panel (Noel Connors and Maurice Shanahan), it appears to have remained mostly intact, apart from those who have retired (Brick Walsh, Philip Mahony, Brian O’Halloran, Shane Bennett). It seems that Thomas Ryan is not on the panel, but I don’t know if he was simply excluded or left of his own volition. I had been of the impression that Darragh Fives had also been left out by Cahill, but some posters here seem to think that he is still in the frame.

Another member of the outgoing panel whose position is unclear is Colm Roche. I am a great admirer of Roche, who I think got a raw deal from both Derek McGrath and Padraig Fanning and is, in my view, a far better hurler than some of the deadwood which is still on the panel (and featured in the recent Munster League games). Apart from his excellent under-age record with Waterford, Roche was a member of the UCC team which won last year’s Fitzgibbon Cup, scoring three points in the final.

Another member of the outgoing panel who has reportedly been in training but who has yet to make an appearance is Michael Harney, and I wonder what is the position regarding him.

We still have to see who from Ballygunner will secure places on the panel, apart from Dessie Hutchinson and Peter Hogan, who played against Kerry. Obviously Pauric Mahony and Stephen O’Keeffe will be involved. It has been reported, but not confirmed (that I am aware of) that Barry Coughlan has returned to the panel. Other players who impressed me during the Gunners’ recent club championship campaign include Ian Kenny, Paddy Leavy, Conor Sheahan, and Billy O’Keeffe.

There are several other players whom I thought would have been worthy of at least getting a chance to state their claims, but of whom there have been no signs. These include Lismore full back David Prendergast, a very talented player who was on the Mary Immaculate College team which got to last year’s Fitzgibbon Cup final; Andrew Casey of Ballyduff Upper, who impressed greatly in the 2018 Under 21 game against Cork and who started for UCC in last Wednesday’s Canon O’Brien Cup game against Cork; and Dungarvan’s John Curran who was a regular on the DCU team which was very unlucky in last year’s Fitzgibbon Cup.

Then there is Colm Roche’s brother Shane who was an ever-present for UCC for three years, and was very impressive whenever I saw him play, but never got a look-in for Waterford. He was on the panel at one stage but dropped out, reportedly due to not getting any game time. I am also thinking of another Shamrocks player, John Paul Lucey, who played for the University of Limerick last year and who has excellent aerial ability. Given the value of players able to win ball in the air, it seems to me that players with this ability (including also DJ Foran) should be made special project players with the aim of developing their general skill levels and physicality. I am reminded of how Ger Loughnane succeeded in converting a very raw Ollie Baker into an outstanding intercounty competitor back in the 1990s.

I expect that Liam Cahill has been using the lead-up to the Munster League in order to get a general look at the lie of the land in terms of available resources and to give members of the outgoing panel a chance to stake a claim for continued membership of the panel. With little chance of relegation in the National Hurling League, I further expect Cahill to continue the experimentation there, but hopefully with the deadwood gone and some further new talent being given an opportunity to show what they can do. In this respect he will probably be looking closely at performances in the Fitzgibbon Cup over the next few weeks, although unfortunately it overlaps with Waterford’s league games against Cork and Westmeath.

Great post. One of the only regular posters in here who actually has a clue about current affairs of waterford hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭razorronan

I am also thinking of another Shamrocks player, John Paul Lucey, who played for the University of Limerick last year and who has excellent aerial ability. Given the value of players able to win ball in the air, it seems to me that players with this ability (including also DJ Foran) should be made special project players with the aim of developing their general skill levels and physicality. I am reminded of how Ger Loughnane succeeded in converting a very raw Ollie Baker into an outstanding intercounty competitor back in the 1990s..

I think the biggest problem we need to solve is our puck outs. Against the better teams who push up on our full backs and make us go long on the puck outs, I fear for us on who can compete aerially to win primary possession. There needs to be at least 2 viable options in the half forward line to aim for. Not just throwing Aussie up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

From WLR

Waterford Minister of State John Halligan has confirmed that the County Board is set to receive €3,753,750 under the Large Scale Sport Infrastructure Fund #WLRSport

Great news for Walsh Park. Drive on now after this years championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭razorronan

From WLR

Waterford Minister of State John Halligan has confirmed that the County Board is set to receive €3,753,750 under the Large Scale Sport Infrastructure Fund #WLRSport

Great news for Walsh Park. Drive on now after this years championship.

Announced just before the general election rather than 12 months ago when it was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Gardner

There obviously is much interest in, and speculation about, how much change we will see in the Waterford hurling panel this year under Liam Cahill’s management. Thus far, there has been only limited sign of change. Of the 31 players who togged out for the Munster League games against Cork and Kerry, just nine were newcomers: Iarlaith Daly, Kieran Power, Neil Montgomery, Jack Fagan, Tom Barron, Shaun O’Brien, Dessie Hutchinson, Shane Ryan and MJ Sutton (the only one to get no game time, as far as I am aware). I think Jack Fagan may have been on the extended panel at some stage in the Derek McGrath era, but he is an effective newcomer.

While obviously Cahill excluded a couple of high-profile members from the outgoing panel (Noel Connors and Maurice Shanahan), it appears to have remained mostly intact, apart from those who have retired (Brick Walsh, Philip Mahony, Brian O’Halloran, Shane Bennett). It seems that Thomas Ryan is not on the panel, but I don’t know if he was simply excluded or left of his own volition. I had been of the impression that Darragh Fives had also been left out by Cahill, but some posters here seem to think that he is still in the frame.

Another member of the outgoing panel whose position is unclear is Colm Roche. I am a great admirer of Roche, who I think got a raw deal from both Derek McGrath and Padraig Fanning and is, in my view, a far better hurler than some of the deadwood which is still on the panel (and featured in the recent Munster League games). Apart from his excellent under-age record with Waterford, Roche was a member of the UCC team which won last year’s Fitzgibbon Cup, scoring three points in the final.

Another member of the outgoing panel who has reportedly been in training but who has yet to make an appearance is Michael Harney, and I wonder what is the position regarding him.

We still have to see who from Ballygunner will secure places on the panel, apart from Dessie Hutchinson and Peter Hogan, who played against Kerry. Obviously Pauric Mahony and Stephen O’Keeffe will be involved. It has been reported, but not confirmed (that I am aware of) that Barry Coughlan has returned to the panel. Other players who impressed me during the Gunners’ recent club championship campaign include Ian Kenny, Paddy Leavy, Conor Sheahan, and Billy O’Keeffe.

There are several other players whom I thought would have been worthy of at least getting a chance to state their claims, but of whom there have been no signs. These include Lismore full back David Prendergast, a very talented player who was on the Mary Immaculate College team which got to last year’s Fitzgibbon Cup final; Andrew Casey of Ballyduff Upper, who impressed greatly in the 2018 Under 21 game against Cork and who started for UCC in last Wednesday’s Canon O’Brien Cup game against Cork; and Dungarvan’s John Curran who was a regular on the DCU team which was very unlucky in last year’s Fitzgibbon Cup.

Then there is Colm Roche’s brother Shane who was an ever-present for UCC for three years, and was very impressive whenever I saw him play, but never got a look-in for Waterford. He was on the panel at one stage but dropped out, reportedly due to not getting any game time. I am also thinking of another Shamrocks player, John Paul Lucey, who played for the University of Limerick last year and who has excellent aerial ability. Given the value of players able to win ball in the air, it seems to me that players with this ability (including also DJ Foran) should be made special project players with the aim of developing their general skill levels and physicality. I am reminded of how Ger Loughnane succeeded in converting a very raw Ollie Baker into an outstanding intercounty competitor back in the 1990s.

I expect that Liam Cahill has been using the lead-up to the Munster League in order to get a general look at the lie of the land in terms of available resources and to give members of the outgoing panel a chance to stake a claim for continued membership of the panel. With little chance of relegation in the National Hurling League, I further expect Cahill to continue the experimentation there, but hopefully with the deadwood gone and some further new talent being given an opportunity to show what they can do. In this respect he will probably be looking closely at performances in the Fitzgibbon Cup over the next few weeks, although unfortunately it overlaps with Waterford’s league games against Cork and Westmeath.

who are the deadwood that you mention?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Of the Tipp minor hurling team that defeated Waterford in Thurles by a point in 2015 managed by Liam Cahill (and went on to win Munster and lose the all Ireland final), only Brian McGrath retained his place 3 years later when they won the u21 all ireland.

It would suggest Cahill doesn't do blind loyalty and will look to test as many players as he can that fit the mould for the championship team he wants to line out v Tipp in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,080 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great news about Walsh Park and get the bulldozers in a few days after the Cork Championship game

Is there anyway they could start work before this years Championship moving our league games up to Dungarvan and have a few bits done in time for May ??.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Derek McGrath confirmed as been involved with Faythe Harriers in Wexford town this year. They had to win the relegation final this year but won last 2 minor premiers so have some talent coming through, he'll be hoping the new ross bypass opens soon.Lee Chin their most well known player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭big_drive

Is Stephen O’Keeffe dropped from panel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

Colm Roche is recovering from a cruciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Great news about Walsh Park and get the bulldozers in a few days after the Cork Championship game

Is there anyway they could start work before this years Championship moving our league games up to Dungarvan and have a few bits done in time for May ??.
    How big a stadium are you looking to build?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Tommy Ryan was dropped by Cahill.
    Colm Roche was injured last year, I think it may have been a cruciate injury possibly. He didn’t feature for Shamrocks in their run to the Junior County Football final. Colm hasn’t progressed as a lot of us would have hoped it’s fair to say. He clearly has an awful lot of talent but I wonder is there possibly a lack of desire or application to say he hasn’t featured any way regularly under McGrath or Fanning so far. He definitely has the potential to be a good addition around the middle of the field if he is committed to it.
    Barry Coughlan never rejoined the panel unfortunately, I would guess he was invited in. Of the other Ballygunner players mentioned I think Sheahan could be with them now after Philips retirement. Billy O’Keeffe didn’t rejoin the football panel this year as he wanted to prioritise hurling but I’m unsure if that is club or county hurling.
    David Prendergast was definitely looked at last year early in the year. Might be worth another look when our panel seems a little thin.
    Andrew Casey I agree was very good in that U21 game. Couldn’t believe he was substituted that day. Saw him play for Ballyduff a few times last year however and you’d have done well to pick him out. Apparently he spent last summer in the States so that may have been a factor.
    John Curran I would agree is worth a trial at least, a tenacious man marker.
    Lucey I am less sure about. He is obviously a huge physical presence. I would consider his hurling limited and in huge need of work to make Senior intercounty standard. I wouldn’t rate his aerial ability the same as Forans either. I do accept we are hugely short of aerial options so these players can’t just be discarded.
    I think they may be looking to Fagan for some aerial ability but he has a lot to prove himself at intercounty level.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

big_drive wrote: »
    Is Stephen O’Keeffe dropped from panel?

Not yet but he now knows where the door is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Would it be fair to say SOK may not even be guaranteed the number 1 jersey? Could be the first season in the last 6 or 7 that he will have to fight for it as Billy Nolan is a decent keeper and could dislodge him. Would still expect SOK to take it but it might be close?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

Would Ray Barry be worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Cake Man wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say SOK may not even be guaranteed the number 1 jersey? Could be the first season in the last 6 or 7 that he will have to fight for it as Billy Nolan is a decent keeper and could dislodge him. Would still expect SOK to take it but it might be close?

He could find himself gently retired. Like a few others

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

thesultan wrote: »

He gave a great display when he came on against Kilkenny as a 19 year old in 2013 under Michael Ryan - scoring 1-3- but never seemed to get a sustained run under Derek McGrath.

Saw him twice for Lismore last year and he was pretty impressive. He is definitely big enough, has good wrists, pace and can win his own ball. Paudie Prendergast might also be worth looking at again.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

thesultan wrote: »

Some wrists to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Derek McGrath confirmed as been involved with Faythe Harriers in Wexford town this year. They had to win the relegation final this year but won last 2 minor premiers so have some talent coming through, he'll be hoping the new ross bypass opens soon.Lee Chin their most well known player.

He’s role is ‘advisor’ to the Actual team manager. Make what you want if that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭deisedude

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Has McGrath ever managed anyone but young lads that he can manipulate?

What a fcuking stupid comment

Was there any changes to the championship structures from that meeting Friday night

Will they go ahead with the county leagues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Great result for WIT beating LIT by nine points in the first match of this years fitzgibbion cup. More importantly 9 of the starting 15 were from Waterford.

Darragh Fives is currently training with the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Was there any changes to the championship structures from that meeting Friday night

Will they go ahead with the county leagues

Submissions for structures had to be put in by Friday. I think they are being discussed at Monday’s County Board meeting.

Aussie went off with a knee injury in WITs game today. A worry for the start of the league

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/waterford-worry-over-austin-gleeson-knee-injury-for-cork-game-975025.html

Great result for WIT beating LIT by nine points in the first match of this years fitzgibbion cup. More importantly 9 of the starting 15 were from Waterford.

Is Aussie back in college this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I came across a report of the Tony Forristal tournament final for 2020 (in which Waterford beat Kilkenny 2-8 to 2-6) the other day. It made for interesting reading.

Colm Roche was full back with Eddie Hayden in the corner. MJ Sutton was at midfield with Conor Gleeson at centre forward. Patrick Curran and Dessie Hutchinson were in the full forward line. Shane Bennett was an unused sub.

According to the report “Conor Gleeson is certainly one to watch for the future. His ability to catch ball in the air, take on the defender and deliver intelligent ball into his inside forward line was one of the talking points of the weekend”. While I appreciate Gleeson’s defensive abilities, I have always felt that he should be tried in the forwards, where he spent his early under-age years. Good forwards are always harder to get than good defenders, and I feel that Gleeson’s wonderful skillset could make a bigger contribution in the forward division.

The report stated of the full forward line of Dessie Hutchinson, Patrick Curran and Andrew Crawford (Cois Bhríde) that they “wreaked havoc on their Kilkenny opponents and showed a level of composure and skill way beyond their years. Watch this space!” Hopefully we will see a repeat of this in the coming year and two, at least in the case of Curran and Hutchinson. I wonder what became of Crawford, a big lad who caused major problems for Kilkenny in the early stages of the game in particular, causing Kilkenny to move their best player, Liam Blanchfield, back to mark him.

The other members of the Waterford team were Seán Daly (Abbeyside) in goal, Craig Brown (Sacred Heart) corner back, half backs Mark Shanahan (Sacred Heart), Jack McCarthy (De La Salle, who got man of the match) and Shane Murray (Cappoquin), Edmond O’Halloran (Clashmore) midfield, and half forwards Shane Ryan (De La Salle) and Seán Colfer (Tramore). Billy Egan of Dungarvan was a second-half substitute.

I came across a report of the Tony Forristal tournament final for 2020 (in which Waterford beat Kilkenny 2-8 to 2-6) the other day. It made for interesting reading.

Colm Roche was full back with Eddie Hayden in the corner. MJ Sutton was at midfield with Conor Gleeson at centre forward. Patrick Curran and Dessie Hutchinson were in the full forward line. Shane Bennett was an unused sub.

According to the report “Conor Gleeson is certainly one to watch for the future. His ability to catch ball in the air, take on the defender and deliver intelligent ball into his inside forward line was one of the talking points of the weekend”. While I appreciate Gleeson’s defensive abilities, I have always felt that he should be tried in the forwards, where he spent his early under-age years. Good forwards are always harder to get than good defenders, and I feel that Gleeson’s wonderful skillset could make a bigger contribution in the forward division.

The report stated of the full forward line of Dessie Hutchinson, Patrick Curran and Andrew Crawford (Cois Bhríde) that they “wreaked havoc on their Kilkenny opponents and showed a level of composure and skill way beyond their years. Watch this space!” Hopefully we will see a repeat of this in the coming year and two, at least in the case of Curran and Hutchinson. I wonder what became of Crawford, a big lad who caused major problems for Kilkenny in the early stages of the game in particular, causing Kilkenny to move their best player, Liam Blanchfield, back to mark him.

The other members of the Waterford team were Seán Daly (Abbeyside) in goal, Craig Brown (Sacred Heart) corner back, half backs Mark Shanahan (Sacred Heart), Jack McCarthy (De La Salle, who got man of the match) and Shane Murray (Cappoquin), Edmond O’Halloran (Clashmore) midfield, and half forwards Shane Ryan (De La Salle) and Seán Colfer (Tramore). Billy Egan of Dungarvan was a second-half substitute.

Assume you mean 2010, that’s Adam Crawford of Shamrocks, a good club player for them,

• Advertisement

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Submissions for structures had to be put in by Friday. I think they are being discussed at Monday’s County Board meeting.

tonight should be interesting so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement