Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

How did Power do at centre back and Aussie at midfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PF28

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Good workout but the first half performance wasant up to scratch

You were there so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

PF28 wrote: »
    You were there so?

Guards wouldn't ask ya that

debok wrote: »
    Guards wouldn't ask ya that

Guards couldn't figure out PTH2009.
    Stephen Hawkings might have some chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

You were there so?
    Were you ?

• Advertisement

Were you ?

No

Scorers for Waterford: S Bennett (1-9, 5f, 3 ‘65’s), A Gleeson (0-4, 2f), C Lyons and D Hutchinson (1-1 each), D Lyons (1-0), N Montgomery (0-3), M O’Brien (0-2), K Power, S Ryan and C Dunford (0-1 each)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/stephen-bennett-stars-as-waterford-romp-to-emphatic-22-point-win-over-kerry-973672.html

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Scorers for Waterford: S Bennett (1-9, 5f, 3 ‘65’s), A Gleeson (0-4, 2f), C Lyons and D Hutchinson (1-1 each), D Lyons (1-0), N Montgomery (0-3), M O’Brien (0-2), K Power, S Ryan and C Dunford (0-1 each)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/stephen-bennett-stars-as-waterford-romp-to-emphatic-22-point-win-over-kerry-973672.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/liam-cahill-admits-disappointment-at-philip-mahonys-retirement-973708.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Cahill’s take on Philip Mahonys retirement

No

Was anyone? Looking forward to some reports and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Was anyone? Looking forward to some reports and opinions.

The same, interesting to see what new players has made sufficient impact to get a start or even just game time in the opening games of the league. Having played both matches, you'd presume Kieran Power and Darragh Lyons will be close to starting while Montgomery has started both matches and must have been better than he was against Cork in hitting 3 points yesterday.

I feel the league has become peripheral since the start of the league format in the Munster championship (although it would of course been nice to win last year and would be nice to win this year!). Managers now seem to use it to blood players ahead of the hectic fixtures of the Munster championship as the quick turnarounds in May/June have meant injuries and fatigue play a bigger part and the panel has become much more important.

I think Cahill will make changes from week to week but it's a tough group and will be good for new players to see game time against the likes of Cork, Limerick, Galway and Tipp and not just all thrown in together against the so called weaker team Westmeath.

Is there any update on injuries? I'm presuming Jamie Barron, Darragh Fives, DJ Foran and obviously TDB are all injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Important dates for Janurary re the club scene

https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1213211531153944577

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Important dates for Janurary re the club scene

https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1213211531153944577

If new Championship structures are implemented, how long before clubs have an opportunity to organise themselves accordingly?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The same, interesting to see what new players has made sufficient impact to get a start or even just game time in the opening games of the league. Having played both matches, you'd presume Kieran Power and Darragh Lyons will be close to starting while Montgomery has started both matches and must have been better than he was against Cork in hitting 3 points yesterday.

I feel the league has become peripheral since the start of the league format in the Munster championship (although it would of course been nice to win last year and would be nice to win this year!). Managers now seem to use it to blood players ahead of the hectic fixtures of the Munster championship as the quick turnarounds in May/June have meant injuries and fatigue play a bigger part and the panel has become much more important.

I think Cahill will make changes from week to week but it's a tough group and will be good for new players to see game time against the likes of Cork, Limerick, Galway and Tipp and not just all thrown in together against the so called weaker team Westmeath.

Is there any update on injuries? I'm presuming Jamie Barron, Darragh Fives, DJ Foran and obviously TDB are all injured?

One thing that would be nice for this league campaign is to get a win away to Limerick in the Gaelic grounds. A place which has been a graveyard for us down through the years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I wonder does Cahill regret moving Connors and shanahsn on as quickly as he did, knowing now he’d also lose a guy as experienced as Mahony and to a lesser extent Shane Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭conor05

I wonder does Cahill regret moving Connors and shanahsn on as quickly as he did, knowing now he’d also lose a guy as experienced as Mahony and to a lesser extent Shane Bennett

I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

Players not on the hurling panel from last year( be they for what ever reason, injuries, dropped, retirements, etc)
    Noel Connors
    Maurice Shanahan
    Philip Mahony
    Brian O Halloran
    Tommy Ryan
    Brick Walsh
    Tadhg De Burca
    Michael Kiely
    Darragh Fives
    Thomas Connors
    Barry Coughlan?
    Tom Devine
    ( I still feel Barry and Tom would be included on any selection panel and are probably about 27/28

Then you go to the football
    Shane Ahearne
    Jack Mullaney
    Tommy Prendergast
    Stephen Prendergast
    Tadhg Houlihan
    Shane Ryan
    Joe Allen
    Kieran power
    Dessie Hutchinson
    Jj Hutchinson
    Stephen Enright
    Thomas o Gorman

Very hard for a county of our size to sustain these losses over the last few months and expect to compete for an all Ireland in hurling and to try and get out of division 4 in the football.

Deisefacts wrote: »
    Players not on the hurling panel from last year( be they for what ever reason, injuries, dropped, retirements, etc)
    Noel Connors
    Maurice Shanahan
    Philip Mahony
    Brian O Halloran
    Tommy Ryan
    Brick Walsh
    Tadhg De Burca
    Michael Kiely
    Darragh Fives
    Thomas Connors
    Barry Coughlan?
    Tom Devine
    ( I still feel Barry and Tom would be included on any selection panel and are probably about 27/28

Shane Ahearne
    Jack Mullaney
    Tommy Prendergast
    Stephen Prendergast
    Tadhg Houlihan
    Shane Ryan
    Joe Allen
    Kieran power
    Dessie Hutchinson
    Jj Hutchinson
    Stephen Enright
    Thomas o Gorman

Very hard for a county of our size to sustain these losses over the last few months and expect to compete for an all Ireland in hurling and to try and get out of division 4 in the football.

Also Sean Whelan Barrett in the football

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Noel Connors
    Maurice Shanahan
    Philip Mahony
    Brian O Halloran
    Tommy Ryan
    Brick Walsh
    Tadhg De Burca
    Michael Kiely
    Darragh Fives
    Thomas Connors
    Barry Coughlan?
    Tom Devine

Shane Ahearne
    Jack Mullaney
    Tommy Prendergast
    Stephen Prendergast
    Tadhg Houlihan
    Shane Ryan
    Joe Allen
    Kieran power
    Dessie Hutchinson
    Jj Hutchinson
    Stephen Enright
    Thomas o Gorman

Are you sure about Tommy Ryan and Darragh Fives ??

Was Tommy Ryan cut or did he retire?

Was young Michael Kiely from Abbeyside not called up? I’d heard he was? Obviously hasn’t featured in a match day panel yet though.

Tommy has gone.
    Darragh has been constantly injured since he joined the panel even if he is available( which he hasn’t been in 2 Munster league games or 2 challenge matches) he’ll be injured before year is over

• Advertisement

Was Tommy Ryan cut or did he retire?

Was young Michael Kiely from Abbeyside not called up? I’d heard he was? Obviously hasn’t featured in a match day panel yet though.

Got a bad injury and is out for 3/4 months. Missed u-19 final v Ballygunner with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Thomas Connors?

Thomas Connors?

He was the 1 fella I wasn’t 100% sure of. If he is available great. A very consistent player for his club

Thomas Connors?

From Passage?
    I don’t think he’s made a match day panel since Davy Fitz was manager?
    Good player though and full of energy and tricks.

From Passage?
    I don’t think he’s made a match day panel since Davy Fitz was manager?
    Good player though and full of energy and tricks.

He was definitely on Dereks panels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

He was definitely on Dereks panels

I think he's right regarding a match day panel.

You missed Shane Bennett in your list as well. Point is a good one, it's a tough ask. But the remainder of the 2013 minors in particular need to stand up and be counted. Now or never over the next two years for them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Noel Connors
    Maurice Shanahan
    Philip Mahony
    Brian O Halloran
    Tommy Ryan
    Brick Walsh
    Tadhg De Burca
    Michael Kiely
    Darragh Fives
    Thomas Connors
    Barry Coughlan?
    Tom Devine

Shane Ahearne
    Jack Mullaney
    Tommy Prendergast
    Stephen Prendergast
    Tadhg Houlihan
    Shane Ryan
    Joe Allen
    Kieran power
    Dessie Hutchinson
    Jj Hutchinson
    Stephen Enright
    Thomas o Gorman

I wasn't surprised to see Connors go, dissapointed to see Maurice go, P,Mahony was consistently good. Tommy and Brian suffered in a horrible role when they did get in , Brick (legend as he was ) was well past his most influential best, jury out on TDB had it handy for years .can't remember likely, D Fives missing with years , Connors was unlucky, wouldn't mind Coughlan back , although I think Prunty will nail the number 3 ,Pity about Tom ,but if we can get Montgomery going .it could be good ..Sheamus Prendegast was a tough act to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I wasn't surprised to see Connors go, dissapointed to see Maurice go, P,Mahony was consistently good. Tommy and Brian suffered in a horrible role when they did get in , Brick (legend as he was ) was well past his most influential best, jury out on TDB had it handy for years .can't remember likely, D Fives missing with years , Connors was unlucky, wouldn't mind Coughlan back , although I think Prunty will nail the number 3 ,Pity about Tom ,but if we can get Montgomery going .it could be good ..Sheamus Prendegast was a tough act to follow

Both Tommy Ryan and Brian Ó Halloran played as far back as the Davy Fitzgerald era. But I suppose it's much easier to blame Derek McGrath as you need to make the point suit the tired narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Darragh fives has a hand injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Darragh fives has a hand injury

Darragh Fives has definitely spent more time on the treatment table than on the pitch during his Waterford career. A real pity as he's a talented player and we seen in 2017 what he can do when fit consistently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement