Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Both Tommy Ryan and Brian Ó Halloran played as far back as the Davy Fitzgerald era. But I suppose it's much easier to blame Derek McGrath as you need to make the point suit the tired narrative.
    Of course it's tiring ,I'd blame the two of them equally ,none of them had a positive outcome on any forward or at least I can't think of any .and if you think he did I'd certainly love to know who and how ! I remember Paul Flynn writing in the local news paper about how Davy Fitz dragged us back years .well it certainly was true ..then Mc Grath followed with 5 years of utter ****e , hopefully now with a good few months under the belt ,the new man can achieve something positive, it sure couldn't get any worse ,,horrendous period under both managers , don't even give Davy credit for the all Ireland final appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

Of course it's tiring ,I'd blame the two of them equally ,none of them had a positive outcome on any forward or at least I can't think of any .and if you think he did I'd certainly love to know who and how ! I remember Paul Flynn writing in the local news paper about how Davy Fitz dragged us back years .well it certainly was true ..then Mc Grath followed with 5 years of utter ****e , hopefully now with a good few months under the belt ,the new man can achieve something positive, it sure couldn't get any worse ,,horrendous period under both managers , don't even give Davy credit for the all Ireland final appearance

'5 years of utter ****e'. He only got closest to an AI than any Waterford manager since '59. The anti McGrath bull**** on here is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

First man to break KK since '59 too.

I mean, I can understand not liking his approach or not agreeing with his selections but the axe some people have to grind on Derek is baffling at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its the nature of internet forums and if things are going pear shaped people will turn on Cahill

Cant wait for the start of the league and hoping for a few wins like everyone here. What's everyone's target for the league ??? Do we go all out or try and do enough for it to be a reasonable campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

PTH2009 wrote: »

Cant wait for the start of the league and hoping for a few wins like everyone here. What's everyone's target for the league ??? Do we go all out or try and do enough for it to be a reasonable campaign

To have our championship 1-22 in good shape with players in best positions and young lads integrated. Eg Dessie ready to go etc.
    Also extremely important that Cahill decides what he's doing with Aussie and sticks with it. We need him enjoying his hurling and back to his best and hopefully Liam Cahill is able to get it out of him.

We also need a forward line that are capable of getting scores as well as winning their own ball and we need fitness to be where it needs to be.

For me, winning the league is low on the agenda but if we go well in it then that's obviously a plus.

There is a lot of work ahead of Cahill in planning his teams and who he tries out and when, who he sticks with or who he takes a chance on.

An injury free panel at the end of the league would be great.

I also hope he doesn't mess about with free takers like Fanning did. Just put captain Mahony on them and let that be it. He's not as good as he used to be and he'll miss a few easy ones now and then but over the course of a season, he's the best we've got.

• Advertisement

To have our championship 1-22 in good shape with players in best positions and young lads integrated. Eg Dessie ready to go etc.
    Also extremely important that Cahill decides what he's doing with Aussie and sticks with it. We need him enjoying his hurling and back to his best and hopefully Liam Cahill is able to get it out of him.

We also need a forward line that are capable of getting scores as well as winning their own ball and we need fitness to be where it needs to be.

For me, winning the league is low on the agenda but if we go well in it then that's obviously a plus.

There is a lot of work ahead of Cahill in planning his teams and who he tries out and when, who he sticks with or who he takes a chance on.

An injury free panel at the end of the league would be great.

I also hope he doesn't mess about with free takers like Fanning did. Just put captain Mahony on them and let that be it. He's not as good as he used to be and he'll miss a few easy ones now and then but over the course of a season, he's the best we've got.

Cahill will definitely need time but 2 years isn't all that long. Have heard he doesn't take any big personalities in his dressing room

We scrapped into a league final last year. We beat the small teams but out first day out against a big team we struggled and only Dublin left us into the game. Galway fecked up twice against us and Clare didnt seem interested. This year Westmeath away is probably the only soft game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

puzl wrote: »
    First man to break KK since '59 too.

I mean, I can understand not liking his approach or not agreeing with his selections but the axe some people have to grind on Derek is baffling at times.

You know the gripe is personal when someone dosent give credit where it’s due, I was frustrated as anyone with some of the antics and selections during the McGrath era, and don’t get me started on the ****e he’s been spouting in the media the past few years, but your right, he brought us closer to the holy grail than anyone else did in most of our lifetimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

Bduffman wrote: »
    '5 years of utter ****e'. He only got closest to an AI than any Waterford manager since '59. The anti McGrath bull**** on here is unreal.

Spot on. i'd say if you went back to the forum the day of the Cork All Ireland semi final and the day after on the ditch was praising DMG and the team. :D

Gardner wrote: »

Spot on. i'd say if you went back to the forum the day of the Cork All Ireland semi final and the day after Geebag on the ditch was praising DMG and the team. :D
    ****ing doubt that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Anyone a list of the championship structure propsals thats going to the board on friday night?

• Advertisement

You know the gripe is personal when someone dosent give credit where it’s due, I was frustrated as anyone with some of the antics and selections during the McGrath era, and don’t get me started on the ****e he’s been spouting in the media the past few years, but your right, he brought us closer to the holy grail than anyone else did in most of our lifetimes
    Stop with the rose tinted glasses we only played them about a dozen times in all those years ,so that would be roughly ," beat them for the first time in twelve games ...it's actually pathetic that you'd go back to 1959 to make it sound like a real achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Looking to the year ahead, i think Cahill so far has gone about his work in a very realistic manner. He is not blowing up the likes of Hutchinson, but not undermining him either, he is not panicking with retires, and is giving plenty of lads the chance to show that they want the "jersey". Unfortunately for whatever the reason, if "appeared" that at times some lads felt that Waterford were privileged to have them, rather than they being privileged to represent their county. I think Cahill seems to have set a marker down in this regard but it will be a long process.

Rome was not built in a day , and we as supporters need to be supportive and patient. Last year while not much went right, did see Prunty, Lyons and Prendergast emerge as lads who can cut it at the highest level, but these lads are young and it may take time for them to reproduce their form of last year - lets be patient. Likewise there are a few new comers and older hands who might just unexpectedly flourish under the new management, but they have to be given time.

On the retirement of Philip Mahony, i wish him well, a great servant, would not always have been my first choice, but he always gave 100% for club and county and also suffered his share of serious injuries. it is quite frightening to realize how long he actually was involved and in all fairness to him given the length of his season between inter-county and club commitment with Ballygunner competing in Munster Club each year it is totally understandable that he would step down. Our new County Chairman Sean Michael acknowledged this in a recent interview in the Examiner. Best of luck Philip, thanks for the memories and if you change your mind, i am sure you will be welcomed back with open arms (by the majority at least)

On the issue of Sean Michael O'Regan, i have to admit to being pleased about the way he is going about his appointment so far and the way he is conducting his interviews. He seems really grounded and competent guy, so fingers crossed for progress on that regard best of luck to him.

I hope this optimism is not unfounded but i am looking forward to being really competitive this year and to seeing our lads reach close to their potential, which in my belief will not put us too far away from where we want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

• Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

carter10 wrote: »

I watched the first minute of this utter tripe and the 2 lads havent one scooby doo about waterford hurling.

Speculating every thing to the highest order. In the words of the great Eamonn Dunphy Spoofers baby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I watched the first minute of this utter tripe and the 2 lads havent one scooby doo about waterford hurling.

Speculating every thing to the highest order. In the words of the great Eamonn Dunphy Spoofers baby

With a new manager in chatge all that can be done is speculation. The two games to date have seen lots of players given a chance so you can't base anything on them.

Watch to the end and then comment or enlighten us with your predictions of what is to come.

blueflame wrote: »
    Looking to the year ahead, i think Cahill so far has gone about his work in a very realistic manner. He is not blowing up the likes of Hutchinson, but not undermining him either, he is not panicking with retires, and is giving plenty of lads the chance to show that they want the "jersey". Unfortunately for whatever the reason, if "appeared" that at times some lads felt that Waterford were privileged to have them, rather than they being privileged to represent their county. I think Cahill seems to have set a marker down in this regard but it will be a long process.

Rome was not built in a day , and we as supporters need to be supportive and patient. Last year while not much went right, did see Prunty, Lyons and Prendergast emerge as lads who can cut it at the highest level, but these lads are young and it may take time for them to reproduce their form of last year - lets be patient. Likewise there are a few new comers and older hands who might just unexpectedly flourish under the new management, but they have to be given time.

On the retirement of Philip Mahony, i wish him well, a great servant, would not always have been my first choice, but he always gave 100% for club and county and also suffered his share of serious injuries. it is quite frightening to realize how long he actually was involved and in all fairness to him given the length of his season between inter-county and club commitment with Ballygunner competing in Munster Club each year it is totally understandable that he would step down. Our new County Chairman Sean Michael acknowledged this in a recent interview in the Examiner. Best of luck Philip, thanks for the memories and if you change your mind, i am sure you will be welcomed back with open arms (by the majority at least)

On the issue of Sean Michael O'Regan, i have to admit to being pleased about the way he is going about his appointment so far and the way he is conducting his interviews. He seems really grounded and competent guy, so fingers crossed for progress on that regard best of luck to him.

I hope this optimism is not unfounded but i am looking forward to being really competitive this year and to seeing our lads reach close to their potential, which in my belief will not put us too far away from where we want to be.

get off the fence boy. do tell us please :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

carter10 wrote: »

I wonder what does Shane Stapleton make of when some Kilkenny folk try to undermine their all Ireland success with talk of 14 men, the way he did regarding Waterford's victory against Cork in 2017?

Stop with the rose tinted glasses we only played them about a dozen times in all those years ,so that would be roughly ," beat them for the first time in twelve games ...it's actually pathetic that you'd go back to 1959 to make it sound like a real achievement

I didn’t mention anything about KK or 1959 in my post, I’d say you’d pick an argument with yourself if there was no one else in the room

I wonder what does Shane Stapleton make of when some Kilkenny folk try to undermine their all Ireland success with talk of 14 men, the way he did regarding Waterford's victory against Cork in 2017?

No time for that Stapleton, totally pro-Tipp any chance he gets and clearly dosent like Waterford.

I didn’t mention anything about KK or 1959 in my post, I’d say you’d pick an argument with yourself if there was no one else in the room
    ah sorry about that

• Advertisement

****ing doubt that

i see you reported my post and i got a "warning" :rolleyes: you ok hun?

i see you reported my post and i got a "warning" :rolleyes: you ok hun?[/quote
    Definitely not my style .so i have no idea how that happened ..honestly

Definitely not my style hun..not sure how that happened .honestly xxxx

DLS College losing out to Middleton CBS yesterday in the Harty Cup QF 2-17-2-08 in Fraher Field

Not sure are any Waterford schools left in the other Championships

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

PTH2009 wrote: »
    DLS College losing out to Middleton CBS yesterday in the Harty Cup QF 2-17-2-08 in Fraher Field

Not sure are any Waterford schools left in the other Championships

The Friary won in the B yesterday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Definitely not my style .so i have no idea how that happened ..honestly
    Definitely not my style hun..not sure how that happened .honestly xxxx

Lads, who reported what and mod actions are not up for discussion on this thread.

Relax and play nice or the banstick will be used.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Lingoweet913

Steve wrote: »
    Lads, who reported what and mod actions are not up for discussion on this thread.

Relax and play nice or the banstick will be used.

Thanks.

Do us all a favour scuba Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

There obviously is much interest in, and speculation about, how much change we will see in the Waterford hurling panel this year under Liam Cahill’s management. Thus far, there has been only limited sign of change. Of the 31 players who togged out for the Munster League games against Cork and Kerry, just nine were newcomers: Iarlaith Daly, Kieran Power, Neil Montgomery, Jack Fagan, Tom Barron, Shaun O’Brien, Dessie Hutchinson, Shane Ryan and MJ Sutton (the only one to get no game time, as far as I am aware). I think Jack Fagan may have been on the extended panel at some stage in the Derek McGrath era, but he is an effective newcomer.

While obviously Cahill excluded a couple of high-profile members from the outgoing panel (Noel Connors and Maurice Shanahan), it appears to have remained mostly intact, apart from those who have retired (Brick Walsh, Philip Mahony, Brian O’Halloran, Shane Bennett). It seems that Thomas Ryan is not on the panel, but I don’t know if he was simply excluded or left of his own volition. I had been of the impression that Darragh Fives had also been left out by Cahill, but some posters here seem to think that he is still in the frame.

Another member of the outgoing panel whose position is unclear is Colm Roche. I am a great admirer of Roche, who I think got a raw deal from both Derek McGrath and Padraig Fanning and is, in my view, a far better hurler than some of the deadwood which is still on the panel (and featured in the recent Munster League games). Apart from his excellent under-age record with Waterford, Roche was a member of the UCC team which won last year’s Fitzgibbon Cup, scoring three points in the final.

Another member of the outgoing panel who has reportedly been in training but who has yet to make an appearance is Michael Harney, and I wonder what is the position regarding him.

We still have to see who from Ballygunner will secure places on the panel, apart from Dessie Hutchinson and Peter Hogan, who played against Kerry. Obviously Pauric Mahony and Stephen O’Keeffe will be involved. It has been reported, but not confirmed (that I am aware of) that Barry Coughlan has returned to the panel. Other players who impressed me during the Gunners’ recent club championship campaign include Ian Kenny, Paddy Leavy, Conor Sheahan, and Billy O’Keeffe.

There are several other players whom I thought would have been worthy of at least getting a chance to state their claims, but of whom there have been no signs. These include Lismore full back David Prendergast, a very talented player who was on the Mary Immaculate College team which got to last year’s Fitzgibbon Cup final; Andrew Casey of Ballyduff Upper, who impressed greatly in the 2018 Under 21 game against Cork and who started for UCC in last Wednesday’s Canon O’Brien Cup game against Cork; and Dungarvan’s John Curran who was a regular on the DCU team which was very unlucky in last year’s Fitzgibbon Cup.

Then there is Colm Roche’s brother Shane who was an ever-present for UCC for three years, and was very impressive whenever I saw him play, but never got a look-in for Waterford. He was on the panel at one stage but dropped out, reportedly due to not getting any game time. I am also thinking of another Shamrocks player, John Paul Lucey, who played for the University of Limerick last year and who has excellent aerial ability. Given the value of players able to win ball in the air, it seems to me that players with this ability (including also DJ Foran) should be made special project players with the aim of developing their general skill levels and physicality. I am reminded of how Ger Loughnane succeeded in converting a very raw Ollie Baker into an outstanding intercounty competitor back in the 1990s.

I expect that Liam Cahill has been using the lead-up to the Munster League in order to get a general look at the lie of the land in terms of available resources and to give members of the outgoing panel a chance to stake a claim for continued membership of the panel. With little chance of relegation in the National Hurling League, I further expect Cahill to continue the experimentation there, but hopefully with the deadwood gone and some further new talent being given an opportunity to show what they can do. In this respect he will probably be looking closely at performances in the Fitzgibbon Cup over the next few weeks, although unfortunately it overlaps with Waterford’s league games against Cork and Westmeath.

Giveitfong one of the great posters on this thread

• Advertisement

Giveitfong wrote: »
    There obviously is much interest in, and speculation about, how much change we will see in the Waterford hurling panel this year under Liam Cahill’s management. Thus far, there has been only limited sign of change. Of the 31 players who togged out for the Munster League games against Cork and Kerry, just nine were newcomers: Iarlaith Daly, Kieran Power, Neil Montgomery, Jack Fagan, Tom Barron, Shaun O’Brien, Dessie Hutchinson, Shane Ryan and MJ Sutton (the only one to get no game time, as far as I am aware). I think Jack Fagan may have been on the extended panel at some stage in the Derek McGrath era, but he is an effective newcomer.

While obviously Cahill excluded a couple of high-profile members from the outgoing panel (Noel Connors and Maurice Shanahan), it appears to have remained mostly intact, apart from those who have retired (Brick Walsh, Philip Mahony, Brian O’Halloran, Shane Bennett). It seems that Thomas Ryan is not on the panel, but I don’t know if he was simply excluded or left of his own volition. I had been of the impression that Darragh Fives had also been left out by Cahill, but some posters here seem to think that he is still in the frame.

Another member of the outgoing panel whose position is unclear is Colm Roche. I am a great admirer of Roche, who I think got a raw deal from both Derek McGrath and Padraig Fanning and is, in my view, a far better hurler than some of the deadwood which is still on the panel (and featured in the recent Munster League games). Apart from his excellent under-age record with Waterford, Roche was a member of the UCC team which won last year’s Fitzgibbon Cup, scoring three points in the final.

Another member of the outgoing panel who has reportedly been in training but who has yet to make an appearance is Michael Harney, and I wonder what is the position regarding him.

We still have to see who from Ballygunner will secure places on the panel, apart from Dessie Hutchinson and Peter Hogan, who played against Kerry. Obviously Pauric Mahony and Stephen O’Keeffe will be involved. It has been reported, but not confirmed (that I am aware of) that Barry Coughlan has returned to the panel. Other players who impressed me during the Gunners’ recent club championship campaign include Ian Kenny, Paddy Leavy, Conor Sheahan, and Billy O’Keeffe.

There are several other players whom I thought would have been worthy of at least getting a chance to state their claims, but of whom there have been no signs. These include Lismore full back David Prendergast, a very talented player who was on the Mary Immaculate College team which got to last year’s Fitzgibbon Cup final; Andrew Casey of Ballyduff Upper, who impressed greatly in the 2018 Under 21 game against Cork and who started for UCC in last Wednesday’s Canon O’Brien Cup game against Cork; and Dungarvan’s John Curran who was a regular on the DCU team which was very unlucky in last year’s Fitzgibbon Cup.

Then there is Colm Roche’s brother Shane who was an ever-present for UCC for three years, and was very impressive whenever I saw him play, but never got a look-in for Waterford. He was on the panel at one stage but dropped out, reportedly due to not getting any game time. I am also thinking of another Shamrocks player, John Paul Lucey, who played for the University of Limerick last year and who has excellent aerial ability. Given the value of players able to win ball in the air, it seems to me that players with this ability (including also DJ Foran) should be made special project players with the aim of developing their general skill levels and physicality. I am reminded of how Ger Loughnane succeeded in converting a very raw Ollie Baker into an outstanding intercounty competitor back in the 1990s.

I expect that Liam Cahill has been using the lead-up to the Munster League in order to get a general look at the lie of the land in terms of available resources and to give members of the outgoing panel a chance to stake a claim for continued membership of the panel. With little chance of relegation in the National Hurling League, I further expect Cahill to continue the experimentation there, but hopefully with the deadwood gone and some further new talent being given an opportunity to show what they can do. In this respect he will probably be looking closely at performances in the Fitzgibbon Cup over the next few weeks, although unfortunately it overlaps with Waterford’s league games against Cork and Westmeath.

Great post and insight. There is certainly some decent talent knocking around as you have highlighted.

Begs the question for me, with Cahill and Bevans being new to the county, its not possible for them to be across every single player at their disposal. How many of the above would he ever have actually watched close up? The selectors Frampton and Molumphy will have insight being from the county obviously, but there is no substitute for seeing players in real time over a period of time, knowing their attributes/strengths/weaknesses. It must be a hard ask to whittle down your best panel is for the league and championship after a few months in the whole setup

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement