Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel that parents shouldn't be allowed to opt their kids out of sex ed?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sorry - thought it was you. But regardless of where life begins, the pros and cons of abortion should be taught, but without the morals - let the parents teach the morals. It's now legal in this country so there's no legal implication. Same with trasnitioning, same with homosexuality. Keeping kids who need the information ignorant is selfish and is not going to help them. And THIS is why I don't believe there should be an opt-out clause.

And whinging parents screaming "IT'S AN AGENDA!!!!" becaue their viewpoint isn't on the syllabus are just as bad as the holy rollers, priests and religious groups screaming bullshit like abortiion is murder.

And THIS is why I'm againsnt an opt-out clause: do you REALLY want a nation of sexually-active teenagers getting their relationship advice from either group?? It's just going to lead to ignorant unprepared children getting their information from behind the bike shed.

Good luck with that.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I never said had any authority over this thread or any other, so thats bullshit. But parents do have authority over their children.

I explained my response that you took such umbridge too was made in that context - i.e. giving parental permission or not for children, but you are choosing to ignore that, and make it into being all about you.

Again, as I explained earlier, I wouldn't want anyone who teaches their opinions as facts teaching sex education to my kid. Very different.

You want to argue about when life begins - well, as also explained to you (but you're not listening) there is more than one theory on where and when life begins. Do you own research, instead of accepting the first thing that pops up in a google search.

So actually, no, I am not wrong. And when I stopped a teacher from trying to push their opinions as facts on my child, I was backed up by the Year Head and the Principal, who told her to tone it down. I did eventually remove my child from her influence, as she just turned into a spiteful bitch after that.

Now imagine if I wasn't "allowed" to do that for my child.

So go ahead and continue your argument with your toenails if you want someone to argue with, because I'm really not in the mood.

Well from the post above, as someone who has actually been in the position of having a teacher (try to) force their "viewpoint" down my child's throat and refusing to accept being questioned on it, I have to disagree with you on there being an opt-out clause for parents.

If there wasn't one, I would have been forced to remove my child from the school completely. And I was prepared to do it.

I'm saying facts and information, not viewpoints.

I would have faith that there would be a fixed syllabus that teachers have to stick to - as there is in pretty much every other subject. And I'm pretty sure that said syllabus world not include an 'abortion is murder' viewpoint or anything close to it.

Say what you like about the Dept of Education, its usually reasonably strict with keeping opinions or of the classroom, as your case world seem to suggest.

But therein lies the crux of the problem, PCB, as I tried to point out earlier.

Some people just can't help themselves and wouldn't be able to contain themselves to a fixed syllabus, without shoe-horning in their own viewpoints at any opportunity that arose.

Therefore, the parents' right to opt out for their children, must remain.

• Advertisement

No, that's when you make a direct complaint as you did in your case and stop it from happening.

Education is not a la carte. You can't opt your kid out of science if they've enrolled and you're a creationist, and you can't opt them out of history if you're a nazi and you don't believe the holocaust was real.

Yet in the end, I still had to take my child out of the class.

So the complaint didn't stop them. She just flew under the radar for a while, then went back to her old ways.

My kid, at least, came home and told me some of the crap she was spouting - many kids wouldn't.

I'd still argue you should have taken it further.

What was the class if you don't mind me asking? And how did you compensate for the missed classes? The only way I see you could have pulled them was if it was religion, which is already opt out. Also - a) not part of the curriculum; and b) not fact and science based, so shouldn't be there in the first place and not really relevant.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

Advertisement