Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel that parents shouldn't be allowed to opt their kids out of sex ed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

wexie wrote: »
    What'd I miss here? Are these two posts not a bit contradictory?

I kinda agree with the last one, think the first one would just be a recipe for disaster. What if they don't agree with evolution? Think the earth is flat?

first one is the constitution based one. Parents rights with education

Second one is that it would be logistics nightmare if not impossible. Students should do all subjects on offer.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

first one is the constitution based one. Parents rights with education

Second one is that it would be logistics nightmare if not impossible. Students should do all subjects on offer.

Disagree strongly here. I am biased of course as I have opted my son out of religion. I wouldn't mind him learning about religion in general but that's not what is taught in a Catholic Primary school.

mohawk wrote: »
    Disagree strongly here. I am biased of course as I have opted my son out of religion. I wouldn't mind him learning about religion in general but that's not what is taught in a Catholic Primary school.

That's fine. But then you've to respect another parents choice to remove their child from RSE, SPHE, CPSE, Science, PE, etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Pretty sure forcing children to attend sex ed regardless of the parents wishes would be unconstitutional.

Parents, not need the state, are the primary educators.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

eviltwin wrote: »
    Sex ed is just one piece of the picture. There's no point in teaching students about safe sex when they have to be a certain age to buy condoms, need parental permission to get the pill and have to pay a fairly high cost for both.

Wouldn't the sex ed be of continuing advantage to those 18 and over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

AllForIt wrote: »
    Wouldn't the sex ed be of continuing advantage to those 18 and over?

I'm talking about those under 18

Sex ed is just one piece of the picture. There's no point in teaching students about safe sex when they have to be a certain age to buy condoms, need parental permission to get the pill and have to pay a fairly high cost for both.

Of course there is. CSPE teaches them how to vote, they cant do that until 18. They still need to understand how it works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

That's fine. But then you've to respect another parents choice to remove their child from RSE, SPHE, CPSE, Science, PE, etc, etc.

Do you really see that as the same thing or are you just making the point that they are all subjects and should all be treated the same?

FWIW growing up for me there were a number of subjects that were mandatory for everybody (depending on year and stream) and then some optional ones.

I don't see why the same couldn't be done here and personally I wouldn't put religion education in the mandatory category. (unless it was teaching about all religions rather introducing into one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Of course there is. CSPE teaches them how to vote, they cant do that until 18. They still need to understand how it works

I'm not saying don't teach sex ed, I'm saying let's make sure they can have safe sex by allowing them access free contraception.

Do you really see that as the same thing or are you just making the point that they are all subjects and should all be treated the same?

FWIW growing up for me there were a number of subjects that were mandatory for everybody (depending on year and stream) and then some optional ones.

I don't see why the same couldn't be done here and personally I wouldn't put religion education in the mandatory category. (unless it was teaching about all religions rather introducing into one.)

They should all be treated the same. Either you sign up for all or go private.

And yes im well aware of peoples views on religious education, but you must be aware that people could have a similar view on another subject like you have with religion.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying don't teach sex ed, I'm saying let's make sure they can have safe sex by allowing them access free contraception.

At what age?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm talking about those under 18

Yes I know you are. You are saying that sex ed is given to those under 18 just because they are under 18. I'm saying that the sex ed they are given just like every other subject they are taught is meant to apply after they are 18 indeed for life. It's not like just because one turns 18 that somehow they magically know it all without any ed, so what I'm saying it the the ed is useful whether practised under 18 or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

At what age?

I think around 15-16 tbh. I know I’d have benefited from a decent sex Ed class in transition year.

• Site Banned Posts: 20 american ninja warrior

What is the curriculum based on?
    Straight sex, go ahead, no need for parents approval.

If they are going into Anal , Anallingus ,Bondage, and other non standard acts, its a strong yes from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If they are going into Anal , Anallingus ,Bondage, and other non standard acts, its a strong yes from me.

So... they need their parents permission to be gay?

What if they haven't actually told them yet?

The bondage is a bit of a slippery slope fallacy for me because we're talking sexuality and relationships here - not kinks (which don't nessecarily have to be sexual).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Site Banned Posts: 20 american ninja warrior

So... they need their parents permission to be gay?

What if they haven't actually told them yet?

The bondage is a bit of a slippery slope fallacy for me because we're talking sexuality and relationships here - not kinks (which don't nessecarily have to be sexual).

you have issues if that is the conclusion you jumped to!

you have issues if that is the conclusion you jumped to!

Seems like a fairly accurate conclusion based on what you wrote. If t's the wrong conclusion, please clarify

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What'd I miss here? Are these two posts not a bit contradictory?

I kinda agree with the last one, think the first one would just be a recipe for disaster. What if they don't agree with evolution? Think the earth is flat?

So? What matter to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

OP I'd be 50/50 too.

I was thinking of that the other day as I got annoyed at Ciara Kelly and co on the radio, as you do...
    They had a segment about sex ed and finished off with a woman saying how inadequate it was, and if the teacher didn't broach whatever subject who would ?
    And so on...

Really that should be a parent's job.
    This recourse to the state to take charge of people's lives really pi$ses me off. It's like the easy solution that's going to iron out all problems for now, but in reality it just creates more problems down the line.

I think the conclusion I came to for myself, although it is a fanciful one (but sometimes good ideas come from fanciful ideas no ?) is that there should be a mandatory test on sex ed awareness at various stages of the child's life.

The onus would be placed on parents to educate their child, with a state designed pack provided just in case they need it, and a big campaign.

Parents would know that at age 10, their child is expected to know about such and such, at age 15 such and such, etc... They are free to approach this as they wish : use the pack, use their own experience and knowledge, whatever.

Let the parents do their job, and simply have some kind of assessment at age 10.
    If the child is not up to date, well then, have compulsory courses to attend for parents, and child (respectively, not together !), after school hours if needed, to catch up.
    Most parents would probably hate the inconvenience, intrusion, and imposition, and chances are they will prefer to prepare their child adequately for the next stage rather than have to go through the ordeal again.
    Wash and repeat at each stage until end of school days.

School taking complete and compulsory charge of sex ed is just not right imo, but it's also not right that some parents do not deliver on their parental duties as primary educators. Just because it's hard for parents to do it should not mean they don't have to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

So? What matter to you?

well....yes...I believe education should aim to leave well rounded and stable (young) adults.

Otherwise what's the point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i would propbably send my child provided it wasnt some lunatic

previous post mentions LON types and right wing holy joes. And that is a fair point I'd object to either amd anything that was a man shaming exercise.

However I have objections to making it mandatory. Not specifically related to Sex-Ed but any state program.. My kids are my kids to rear as I see fit and have the grounding I think is best. They arent owned by the state. They arent Leos kids or even worse owned by the civil service.

The notion that the state rears my kids is very worrying. But even more worrying is that people appear to want state intervention diluting the natural role of the parent.

the state should fcuk off and people should wise up to the increasing control the state has in our lives.
    So inviting more control...no way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It's parenting courses should be given tbh, to the parents of kids not the kids. Offloading responsibility to schools etc is bollix, you have kids, fecking rear them properly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

https://www.rte.ie/news/player/2014/0415/20563387-who-is-teaching-secondary-school-children-about-sex/

Prime time did a piece about this a couple of years ago. I watched it again recently as Katie Ascough makes an amusing appearance. IMO kids should be taught the facts, nothing more or less and certainly the sellotape nonsense needs to be left out of it. Pure Love are the catholic crowd that go in to schools to teach abstinence and the homosexuality is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

But even more worrying is that people appear to want state intervention diluting the natural role of the parent.

Yes you will teach your kids and fair play. But loads and loads of parents can't be trusted to teach there kids so I feel making it mandatory is the best thing to do, were only talking about giving some of the main things, it's not going to be something comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

So? What matter to you?

Hey! Gotta no respect.
    It's a not so bad, it's a lovely place
    Ah shuddup a ya face!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Dont know. I suppose it depends on the content. I've opted out my daughter of sex ed in the past not because I have an issue with sex ed but because it was being delivered by a group with a right wing agenda. As a parent I think I should have that right.

My mother in law (she's actually an out law - I'm not married, but I might as well be so you know what I mean:D) teaches sex ed in schools.
    Now, to be honest, I'm not sure how or what exactly she teaches..... but, she is ultra religious and she teaches it on a voluntary basis for some bible bashing outfit or other (Accord I think) so I'd be fairly sure it's a very catholic tinged view of the auld knifey spooney.

Surely in this day and age that is bollox of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Isn't that exactly what Louis Walsh said the first time he seen Jedward on the X Factor?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

somefeen wrote: »
    Hey! Gotta no respect.
    It's a not so bad, it's a lovely place
    Ah shuddup a ya face!

Ahhh... damn you to hell for putting that in my head ! :mad::p

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

I think that scientific sex ed should be mandatory, as in the changes in puberty, menstruation, what sex is, how we become pregnant and contraception. No influencing factors or opinions or anything, just straight up facts on all of it.

• Advertisement

I think that scientific sex ed should be mandatory, as in the changes in puberty, menstruation, what sex is, how we become pregnant and contraception. No influencing factors or opinions or anything, just straight up facts on all of it.

I'd throw consent into that as well. Or, to but it more accurately, how to ask, how to say and hear yes and no.

Advertisement