Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do women speak in riddles when they want a one-night stand?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

When a girl at the counter in Argos asks if I want to buy an extended warranty I know what she's really asking. Then there's the old "would you like cash back?" when I use my debit card in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

When a girl at the counter in Argos asks if I want to buy an extended warranty I know what she's really asking. Then there's the old "would you like cash back?" when I use my debit card in a shop.

I used to work on a customer support line for a large company. We had to ask "Is there anything else I can help you with today?" at the end of every call and let me tell you that there are actually people who will take that as a signal to start a dirty talk. Then you're eternally grateful for the good old "You can give me the lotto numbers, he he he" from old people. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

There's a fine line between the "come to bed" stare and the "oh my god you are so hideous looking its funny" stare.

Maybe you confused the two OP?

Personally I never get them confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

IME at that hour with a decent intake of booze, you're less likely to leave room for interpretation in these things. You'd say "fancy sharing a taxi? Where do you live?" or "want to walk me to my taxi?" instead.

Well this is predicated on the assumption that she was pretty drunk. I'm pretty sure she had been drinking - not because her behaviour, speech or walking ability indicated it, but because it was a Saturday night on Camden St - but she certainly wasn't pissed, and therefore the rationale that she'd be far more blatant with her hints doesn't really apply.

Not enough emphasis is being placed on the theory that she wasn't really listening to my 'advice' on taxis, by the way. This indicates to me that she didn't really care, possibly because that wasn't what she was really asking, in the same way how that girl in the other anecdote didn't care about the bloke's opinion on her curtains. That's a big, big part of this theory - again, that's all it is.

I'm big enough to admit I might be wrong, because I've consistently been saying this throughout the thread, but there's way more substance to the theory than people are making out in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I think the moral of this thread is that if women want a good seeing to they should just pick a guy, point at their crotch and wink.

• Advertisement

I think the moral of this thread is that if women want a good seeing to they should just pick a guy, point at their crotch and wink.

That's what happens up your way in Tallaght is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

In my day you'd say forget about the taxi and invite her for a big fry and a pot of tea in The Manhattan.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I'm traipsing down Camden St on my own in search of a cigarette after my sister-in-law's birthday. I stop two girls and get one off them. One thing leads to another and one of them - a Dublin girl - asks me where the best place to get a taxi is "around here". I gave her directions - "yeah, so, you wanna take this left up here, walk for about 100 metres until you see a First Active, and you'll see the taxi rank there that doesn't exist" - even though I'd no idea where I was sending them to, but she was staring at me, with solid eye contact, instead of looking ahead to where I was pointing.

I was listening to Fountains of Wayne this morning and a song called Stacey's Mom reminded me of this thread :D
    I can tell she likes me from the way she stared.
    And the way she said
    'You missed a spot over there.'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

but when I woke up I explored the possibility that she was actually asking me to share a taxi with her. Or maybe both? Maybe I could've had a threesome. Or maybe she wasn't interested in anything sexual and just wanted to know where she could get a taxi. Who the **** knows, but it still doesn't make sense to me why a Dublin girl - probably in her early 30s, so it wasn't her first night on the tiles - would ask a Dublin lad how to get a taxi in Dublin unless there was actually an element of subtext, with the subtext being 'Here, you, do you want to have sex?'

Pretty sure she just wanted a taxi ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Overheal wrote: »
    Two women walk up to you outside smoking, “one of us only tells lies and the other only tells the truth...”

Ask them do they smoke. Sorted.

• Advertisement

I was listening to Fountains of Wayne this morning and a song called Stacey's Mom reminded me of this thread :D

The analogy I keep thinking of is when Monica invites Joey in for lemonade and he interprets it as an invitation for sex. I think there's a lot more substance to my theory personally, but that's the way people are responding, like I'm Joey.

Schrödinger's slut

One of the funniest things i've ever seen on Boards. :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Well this is predicated on the assumption that she was pretty drunk. I'm pretty sure she had been drinking - not because her behaviour, speech or walking ability indicated it, but because it was a Saturday night on Camden St - but she certainly wasn't pissed, and therefore the rationale that she'd be far more blatant with her hints doesn't really apply.

Not enough emphasis is being placed on the theory that she wasn't really listening to my 'advice' on taxis, by the way. This indicates to me that she didn't really care, possibly because that wasn't what she was really asking, in the same way how that girl in the other anecdote didn't care about the bloke's opinion on her curtains. That's a big, big part of this theory - again, that's all it is.

I'm big enough to admit I might be wrong, because I've consistently been saying this throughout the thread, but there's way more substance to the theory than people are making out in my view.

All you have is that she wasn’t listening to you in the manner you would have expected. That’s it.

Your substance is just that. A stare.

Look ONS happen all the time. It generally takes a lot more work than stopping someone for cigarettes. Why did you assume she smoked by the way?

One of the funniest things i've ever seen on Boards. :D:D:D:D:D

THANK YOU! It was one of my proudest moments and I was expecting 1000 Thank Yous at least, but nothing!

Finally I feel at least a bit appreciated. Seriously one of the best jokes I've ever made.

THANK YOU! It was one of my proudest moments and I was expecting 1000 Thank Yous at least, but nothing!

Finally I feel at least a bit appreciated. Seriously one of the best jokes I've ever made.

I think it's a bit too high brow for AH. I didn't get it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think it's a bit too high brow for AH. I didn't get it personally.

Or, y'know, people just didn't find it funny that women who fancy a bit of sex are still being referred to as sluts.

Schrödinger's cat - to put it very simply, you're equally as sure that the cat is dead as you are sure that the cat is alive, until you open the box and see for yourself.

OP said "I'm far from certain that she wanted a one-night stand or any sort of sexual encounter, but I'm also far from certain that she didn't".

*drumroll*

Schrödinger's slut.

Ta daaa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

That's what happens up your way in Tallaght is it not?

We’re a special breed up my way

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Or, y'know, people just didn't find it funny that women who fancy a bit of sex are still being referred to as sluts.

Jesus, it was a clever joke. And it was obvious she was joking. The right on brigade try to ruin everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Ficheall wrote: »
    Many years ago, when I was about 19, I brought a friend I'd had a massive crush on for about two years to a gig. Walked her home, after a lovely evening, and she invited me up for a coffee...

"No thanks, I don't drink coffee."

Eternal regret.

Smitchell you never listen to me but eternal regret is silly
    If she was hot for you then she can be hot for you again

• Advertisement

Control ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Control ?

Choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement