Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do women speak in riddles when they want a one-night stand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nooples

that's actually the face women make when we're trying to very quietly release a hot fart in the middle of a conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

nooples wrote: »
    that's actually the face women make when we're trying to very quietly release a hot fart in the middle of a conversation

Best post ever...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

One time a couple of years back I was out for a work do thing. Dinner with drinks followed by more drinks. The usual.

A friend of work introduced me to someone they knew, she didn't work with us but knew him through her friend. Anyway we kicked it off and spent most of the night together.

After we left the bar I was a bit of that tired and drunk mixture. I went with her to get her food, strangely I wasn't hungry for a change.
    She then suggested getting a taxi so I flagged one down and opened the back door to let her in.

When she sat down I , with the door still open, leaned down and asked what's the address. She proceeded to tell me the address and I repeated it to the taxi-driver. Still standing at the opened taxi door I straightened my body up, she looked at me funny and said.

"Are you not getting in?"

to which I replied with

"No, I actually live on the opposite side of town"

I'll never forget her look of "WTF" while I said good night, closed the door and gave the taxi a drunk little pat on the boot to signal off you go. I turned around to begin walking home in a jolly mood and the minute I planted my first step I copped what a complete idiot I had been!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sile Na Gig

I used to be always super direct about that sort of thing. I didn’t see the point in being cryptic, we’re all adults, supposedly sexually liberated.

Then some lad that I knew let himself into my bedroom while I was sleeping and ****ed me without my knowledge or consent.

People said, sure she’s just a slut, she was probably asking for it. No point in reporting, his word against mine, plus knowing that my sexual history would come into it.

Maybe that’s why girls are more circumspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Ficheall wrote: »
    That sounds like a question to me... Hi ;)

I walked myself into that one.... hello :D
    Hammer89 wrote: »
    You might be ignoring the context here, and the context is key.

The question wasn't asked in broad daylight on a Tuesday afternoon when queing at Costa; it was asked by a potentially single woman in her early 30s in the aftermath of a Saturday night where alcohol was likely taken. Not only that, but it was asked by a Dublin woman who has to have known that it can be quite difficult to pick up a taxi at 4am on a Sunday morning in one of the city's most popular districts during the weekend.

Don't get me wrong, I'm far from certain that she wanted a one-night stand or any sort of sexual encounter, but I'm also far from certain that she didn't. With the question not making a great deal of sense (in my opinion) and the fact she didn't look very interested in my answer to that question, it really isn't unreasonable to wonder whether she had an ulterior motive.

Tbf, I’ve lived in Dublin most of my life and unless it’s on the street outside the pub id scarcely know where to find a taxi rank.

I just think assuming that you missed an opportunity to get your end away because a woman inquired about a taxi is.... optimistic at best.

• Advertisement

Personalised attacks will get you nowhere. I was pretty successful with the ladies in my day but it didn’t depend on interpreting looks.

I am getting a bang of incel of this thread.

Any female posters want to comment. Do you just stare at guys when they are talking to you as a come on.

Basically yeah, a dead eyed stare.while I vigorously rub my thighs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭jacool

I just think assuming that you missed an opportunity to get your end away because a woman inquired about a taxi is.... optimistic at best.
    Perhaps the OP was thinking of the ride, and the woman merely the ride home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

OP, if it helps here's a post of mine from many years ago when something similar happened to me.
    Christmas Eve a few years ago (it was before taxi deregulation) I finished work late and was stuck in the city centre facing the prospect of having to walk to Terenure, as most taxi drivers had already finished working and there were at least a hundred people queueing at the rank on College Green. I walked around to the Pony Cabs office that used to be next to Hogans on South Great George's St and though they were closed, the guy there promised to radio for a minicab for me as I was a regular customer.

While waiting for the minicab to arrive, two attractive women came to the door looking for a cab but the operator told them that they were closed. So I asked them where they were going and they told me "South Circular Road". I asked them if they wanted to share the cab with me since we were going in the same general direction and they agreed.

We got chatting about Christmas plans and they told me that they were both nurses originally from the country, and had been to the pub next door for a few drinks as they would be working a lot of hours over the holidays and wouldn't be going "home".

So eventually the minicab arrived and I sat in front and they sat at the back carrying on a whispered conversation. When we got to their destination they paid their share of the fare and I was completely surprised when, as they were leaving, one of them turned back and asked me if I wanted to come in "for a cup of tea or something".

I was so tired after work and more concerned about getting home to wrap the presents that I had in a black sack in the boot, that I declined their offer. Immediately I knew that I had done the wrong thing but the moment had passed. As we drove on to Terenure the driver even slagged me for turning down an invitation from two lonely nurses - as if I didn't already realise what an idiot I'd been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Tbf, I’ve lived in Dublin most of my life and unless it’s on the street outside the pub id scarcely know where to find a taxi rank.

Except I'm not assuming that at all. I've clearly said on multiple occasions that I might be reading too much into it.

I realise it's very possible that she didn't want to have sex with me, but by the same token I also know that many one-night stands can stem from random encounters between two people after leaving a pub or a club, and that the likelyhood of a shared sexual experience thereafter could hinge on one of the people picking up on the other's subtle or obvious cues. Was this a subtle cue from the woman in question? I don't know and I never will, but what I do know is that it's absolutely not ridiculous to consider - that's the key word - the idea that it may have been.

She wasn't asking for a taxi rank by the way, not specifically anyhow. I was completely paraphrasing when I said 'taxi rank' in the OP obviously. That would change things completely if she was because I was and still am under the impression that she was asking for strategy on how and where to hail down a taxi, which to me is either a stupid question or a very subtle cue. I don't know which it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

waffleman wrote: »
    Friend of mine was at a party years ago. Woman asks him does he wana go up to her room to "take a look" at her curtains for her. He reappears about a minute later completely oblivious to what she was after.

He still gets reminded about it.

Beef? Maybe he was a vegetarian.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

nooples wrote: »

Not a bad first post on boards.ie.

Looking forward to your second post already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

OP there is certainly an art to the one night stand.
    You can't be pushy, but also can't be too standoffish. Drop a few hints that's what you are looking for.

Either it will lead to something amazing! Or else a swift knee in the testicles, which I suppose is better than nothing!

Except I'm not assuming that at all. I've clearly said on multiple occasions that I might be reading too much into it.

I realise it's very possible that she didn't want to have sex with me, but by the same token I also know that many one-night stands can stem from random encounters between two people after leaving a pub or a club, and that the likelyhood of a shared sexual experience thereafter could hinge on one of the people picking up on the other's subtle or obvious cues. Was this a subtle cue from the woman in question? I don't know and I never will, but what I do know is that it's absolutely not ridiculous to consider - that's the key word - the idea that it may have been.

She wasn't asking for a taxi rank by the way, not specifically anyhow. I was completely paraphrasing when I said 'taxi rank' in the OP obviously. That would change things completely if she was because I was and still am under the impression that she was asking for strategy on how and where to hail down a taxi, which to me is either a stupid question or a very subtle cue. I don't know which it is.

Where are you finding these people who stop you in the street for sex? Teach me your ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

That sounds like a question to me... Hi ;)
    I walked myself into that one.... hello :D
    "No thanks, I don't eat cupcakes."

More regret.

"No thanks, I don't eat cupcakes."

More regret.

Now you’ve lost me...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Now you’ve lost me...
    Hence the regret, innit.

Now you’ve lost me...

It's a cunnilingus joke.

Ohhh....

I’m smart. I swear.

Stop flirting with me.

Stop flirting with me.

Make me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

seamus wrote: »
    If it helps OP, the correct answer was not, "I'll share a taxi with you", as she would have said, "Eh, nah you're OK thanks". The correct answer was, "Here, I'll walk with you". This would give her a chance to get to know you at least a little and then she can decide when the taxi arrives whether to invite you back.

This OP.
    You walk them to the taxi rank have an auld chat and a flirt, if they're walking to the taxi rank with you then they obviously feel safe around you. Then you know you've at least some chance.

On the way make a cheeky comment about sharing a taxi back to there place or your place to keep the party going. Maybe say something like " if the lads see me know they'll think I've pulled two girls". Leaves the door open for an invitation and there you have it.

Pure expert at this so I am. I should start a misogynistic self help site for socially awkward youngfellas, give myself a silly nickname and wear a stupid hat for peacocking purposes.

Make me

Let's share a taxi.

Let's share a taxi.

Do you know where the taxi rank is? You’re paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Esel wrote: »
    Beef? Maybe he was a vegetarian.

He told me exactly what happened a while after. Maybe he'd gotten over it and could see the funny side of it.

He maintains he followed her up to her room where she hopped onto her bed. He stuck his head round the door and said "nice curtains" then went back downstairs.

I was best man at his wedding. I couldnt bring myself to tell it in front of his bride. All the lads knew the story well by then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Friend of mine was at a party years ago. Woman asks him does he wana go up to her room to "take a look" at her curtains for her. He reappears about a minute later completely oblivious to what she was after.

He still gets reminded about it.
    So...what were the curtains like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Women are more cryptic about these things because the judgement is REAL when a women goes around advertising for casual sex, not to mention the risk factor and a whole host of personal safety issues.

My ONS days are well over, but back in my heyday I'd never have come out and said it, more danced around it with "fancy a night cap" or "your place or mine" hints that usually needed no interpretation.

That said, I think it's everything from optimistic to delusional to think that a woman looking for taxi advice at 4am is an invitation to come and do the horizontal tango with her. IME at that hour with a decent intake of booze, you're less likely to leave room for interpretation in these things. You'd say "fancy sharing a taxi? Where do you live?" or "want to walk me to my taxi?" instead. I've lived in Dublin for eight years and still would need some strong advice on the best corner to flag a taxi to get my drunken ass home at 4am on any main street in the city centre and would be frankly well pissed off if some lad thought that meant "come along and try to have sex with me".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Sheeps wrote: »
    Probably best you turn women down who speak in riddles about promiscuous sex. Don't want to end up being a victim like Paddy Jackson.

The femenazis are coming for your soul for that one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Don't get me wrong, I'm far from certain that she wanted a one-night stand or any sort of sexual encounter, but I'm also far from certain that she didn't.

Schrödinger's slut

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

indioblack wrote: »
    So...what were the curtains like?

"Nice curtains" is what he told her - i have no further details on them - im sure he'll always remember what they looked like

• Advertisement

"Nice curtains" is what he told her - i have no further details on them - im sure he'll always remember what they looked like

Did he see her curtains, or her “curtains”? ;)

Advertisement