Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

serfboard wrote: »
    Add those to the 2 services provided by Feda O’Donnell, the 13 services provided by Bus Eireann and the 19 (weekday) services provided by Burkes giving a total of 39 weekday buses from Tuam to Galway.

But no - the people of Tuam want a train service instead that’s going to be less frequent, slower and more expensive, which is why they marched in their thousands around the town demanding it.

Except they didn’t.

Tuam? Tuam? What's Tuam got to do with it, this is all about Claremorris, and the billions of tonnes of freight that needs moving from Mayo to Foynes. Tuam where is Tuam anyway....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

God forbid it would be a train. They’re evil things you know.

Sorry, but can we flip that around a bit please? There have actually been several posts on boards.ie through the years which account to little more then shouting 'I WON'T travel on a bus, I WON'T!' and stamping their feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 London Correspondent

Really? Don't get me started on all the whoppers, lies, exaggerations and pure bull**** that have been posted on these various WRC threads over the years. Note that the people who really know whats going on and making things happen will never post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Note that the people who really know whats going on and making things happen will never post here.
    Really?

Do tell us more. Who are these "people who really know whats going on and [are] making things happen"?

Really? Don't get me started on all the whoppers, lies, exaggerations and pure bull**** that have been posted on these various WRC threads over the years. Note that the people who really know whats going on and making things happen will never post here.

So says London Correspondent who apparently joined Boards in January 2019 and has posted 16 post!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Similar to the Cork to Limerick motorway that already exists...

Ouch! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

westtip wrote: »
    So says London Correspondent who apparently joined Boards in January 2019 and has posted 16 post!:D

Hello London Correspondent,

If you want to come on here and with in your first handful of posts have a good old rant about what’s posted here, make such stark comments and then say who would or would not post here, then you are opening yourself to stark responses.

The response to you is mild and, given your rant, it’s well within the rules.

Please try to be more constructive with future posts.

— moderator

Boards might as well go the whole hog and make westtip a mod.

Boards might as well go the whole hog and make westtip a mod.

I would endorse that! chill pills required though!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

According to the Clare champion Irish Rail expects 420000 passenger journeys this year and its the fast growing line in the country!

the company predicts that journeys on the line will reach 420,000 this year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

jasper100 wrote: »
    According to the Clare champion Irish Rail expects 420000 passenger journeys this year and its the fast growing line in the country!

the company predicts that journeys on the line will reach 420,000 this year

How much of this is extra journeys due to Oranmore; which is not on the reopened section?

The figures given always include the pre-existing sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

L1011 wrote: »
    Of course they do:
    The Ennis to Limerick service and the Athenry to Galway commuter services have shown significant growth.
    According to Iarnród Éireann, a range of measures to boost demand included ... the opening of the Oranmore Station in 2013.
    The Oranmore station car park is very busy.The one at Gort? Not so much.

So Oranmore is working as a Park 'n 'Ride, getting all the car-dependent dispersed commuters out of their cars on the outskirts of the city. A proper use of this resource, but one which did not need over 100 million Euro spent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

serfboard wrote: »
    Of course they do:
    The Oranmore station car park is very busy.The one at Gort? Not so much.

So Oranmore is working as a Park 'n 'Ride, getting all the car-dependent dispersed commuters out of their cars on the outskirts of the city. A proper use of this resource, but one which did not need over 100 million Euro spent on it.

If they had spent 100 million Euro between Athenry and Galway City with new stations, dual track - IR would be getting alot more bang for the buck now for sure.

How much of this is extra journeys due to Oranmore; which is not on the reopened section?

The growth is being experienced across the route, with city to city journeys surging and a particularly strong student demand. The Ennis to Limerick service and the Athenry to Galway commuter services have shown significant growth.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The growth is being experienced across the route, with city to city journeys surging and a particularly strong student demand. The Ennis to Limerick service and the Athenry to Galway commuter services have shown significant growth.
    It's little wonder there's "surging" growth with the fares still subsidised (which I agree with - little point in running high fares with empty trains).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

marno21 wrote: »
    It's little wonder there's "surging" growth with the fares still subsidised (which I agree with - little point in running high fares with empty trains).

Over subsidised fares and free car parking too. GDA rail commuters have big fares and car parking charges. Fish in a barrel stuff, while the WRC is treated like a charity case to increase ridership. Makes me want to puke such is the absolutely thwarted attitude to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Over subsidised fares and free car parking too. GDA rail commuters have big fares and car parking charges. Fish in a barrel stuff, while the WRC is treated like a charity case to increase ridership. Makes me want to puke such is the absolutely thwarted attitude to it.

The WRC won't achieve anything like its full potential until it reaches Claremorris. Will it ever happen - probably not if the past is anything to go by. The reopened Youghal line stops halfway to its destination; Clonsilla/Navan ends in a field and the Green Luas line ends on top of a hill at Brides Glen instead of Bray. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Actual figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The WRC won't achieve anything like its full potential until it reaches Claremorris. Will it ever happen - probably not if the past is anything to go by. The reopened Youghal line stops halfway to its destination; Clonsilla/Navan ends in a field and the Green Luas line ends on top of a hill at Brides Glen instead of Bray. :rolleyes:

Ya troll!:D

The WRC won't achieve anything like its full potential until it reaches Claremorris.

Ok, I'll bite, let's imagine pigs fly and it gets opened to Claremorris. A few questions if you don't mind

What do you anticipate the journey time to be from Claremorris to Galway if such a route existed?

How much would it cost for a commuter when compared to the cost for a bus ticket for the same journey?

• Advertisement

Actual figures?

The article doesnt say, but I looked on irish rail and its €7.49 each way with 2 trains sold out each way already.

I would think its well busy at those prices!

What do you anticipate the journey time to be from Claremorris to Galway if such a route existed?

Once its double tracked with 100mph line speed I would estimate 30 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

I hear they are planning to run it underground through Tuam and CPOing and demolishing a dozen houses between Milltown and Kilbannon to get speeds up to 150kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The article doesnt say, but I looked on irish rail and its €7.49 each way with 2 trains sold out each way already.

I would think its well busy at those prices!

The trains never sell out, it's just too late to book them.

I'm a regular user of the WRC, including the infamous Ennis-Athenry section, and ridership is quite good, even at the slow times. Always a good few on the train nowadays. Adrahan could do with closing down to improve journey times, ridership there does not justify a station.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Truth is that stations like Ardrahan and Craughwell should have been reopened as request stops thereby cutting down on expensive overkill at said stations - lighting, fencing, car parks, ticket machines...It can be done on the other side of the Irish Sea but not here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Truth is that stations like Ardrahan and Craughwell should have been reopened as request stops thereby cutting down on expensive overkill at said stations - lighting, fencing, car parks, ticket machines...It can be done on the other side of the Irish Sea but not here.

I agree. The technology for this has been around for decades but I think you would have more objections to this idea from rail advocates than you would have from doubters.

There are minimum requirements for a new station which do not apply to grandfathered old stations. Lighting, fencing etc would be required at a new build request stop also.

Actually - if you've no lighting how the hell do you expect the driver to see you flag them down?

If you live in Ardrahan or Craughwell they are each about 10km from Athenry / Gort.

No need for stations in these hamlets at all. Drive to Gort or Ardrahan. There is no station at Long pavement for example which is close to Thomond park and Limerick city and would have much better potential along the WRC.

Muckyboots wrote: »
    I agree. The technology for this has been around for decades but I think you would have more objections to this idea from rail advocates than you would have from doubters.

Nope, I agree with Del.Monte on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Best laugh I had all day. :D

Advertisement