Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

Why would it need to be printed? All it takes is for someone who sees the file to remember a name and phone number, or maybe even take a photo with their own phone of the relevant pages.

True but your post that I was replying to read like the file would have been printed, at least to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

kylith wrote: »
    Can he be questioned re: GDPR breach and done for obstruction if he won't say where he's getting the information?

If pressed on that, he'd probably say he was bs-ing to focus protest on a particular (arbitrary) day and there was no inside source.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I m
    Can he be questioned re: GDPR breach and done for obstruction if he won't say where he's getting the information?

If pressed on that, he'd probably say he was bs-ing to focus protest on a particular (arbitrary) day and there was no inside source.
    I meant regarding the woman who was phoned directly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The ever classy pro-life campaigners have set up a page called "In Her Shoes - Women of the Eighth who have suffered from abortion".
    Basically trying to disguise themselves as the original pro choice In Her Shoes page in order to gain attention and deceive others.

Its full of stories about women who were on their way for an abortion in Ireland over the last few weeks, but changed their minds when they came across the pro-life picketers outside and decided to continue their pregnancies.
    Oh, and apparently all these women were once pro-choice and voted Yes in the referendum but have now seen the error in their ways.

I have no problem with a page sharing stories of women who regret their abortions, or decided not to have abortions.
    I do have a problem with a page impersonating another one in order to do that.

Do they not realise that they are alienating more and more people with these repeated underhanded tactics?
    I have reported the page and hopefully it'll either be deleted or have its name changed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The ever classy pro-life campaigners have set up a page called "In Her Shoes - Women of the Eighth who have suffered from abortion".
    Basically trying to disguise themselves as the original pro choice In Her Shoes page in order to gain attention and deceive others.

Its full of stories about women who were on their way for an abortion in Ireland over the last few weeks, but changed their minds when they came across the pro-life picketers outside and decided to continue their pregnancies.
    Oh, and apparently all these women were once pro-choice and voted Yes in the referendum but have now seen the error in their ways.

I have no problem with a page sharing stories of women who regret their abortions, or decided not to have abortions.

Do they not realise that they are alienating more and more people with these repeated underhanded tactics?
    I have reported the page and hopefully it'll either be deleted or have its name changed soon.

Id love to say i am surprised.
    I had a look via app and cant find it so is it gone already?

That myoptions.website is particularly dodgy, I would hope anyone who sees it will realise it is a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think it is really good that the pro-choice people have this thread to vent their unhappiness and to generalise all people who are pro-life.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How have they "suffered from abortion" if they didn't have one? :confused:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,257 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

RobertKK wrote: »
    I think it is really good that the pro-choice people have this thread to vent their unhappiness and to generalise all people who are pro-life.

And it really great that those on the prolife side have made the effort to condemn these tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

How have they "suffered from abortion" if they didn't have one? :confused:

Because they're all former Pro-Choicers who had abortions and then underwent Damascene conversions silly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

gmisk wrote: »
    Id love to say i am surprised.
    I had a look via app and cant find it so is it gone already?.

Its still there, name now changed to "In her Shoes - Women who suffer from Abortion"

FB processed my report and said it didn't break any community rules so no action will be taken :rolleyes:

If pro-life groups weren't up to no good, being dishonest, abusive and deceitful, there would be nothing for us to talk about.

Perhaps instead of bemoaning us talking about it, you should be encouraging your fellow pro-lifers to stop using such disgusting, underhanded tactics to spread their message.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

And, you know what? I even get annoyed on behalf of moderate No voters with this shït. I have a few family members and acquaintances who voted No and they would hate all these stunts and shenanigans as much as Yes voters do. These cranks are really letting the side down. Letting down themselves down. And letting down No voters who respect the democratic will of the people.

And I too would have no problem with an outlet for women who regret having abortions. Actually, it sounds like a great idea. I don’t want those women to feel alone. But, like you say, there is no need to be underhand about it.

And it really great that those on the prolife side have made the effort to condemn these tactics.

Don't go holding your breath.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Don't go holding your breath.

I think you missed the sarcasm. As did somebody who thanked my post.

I think you missed the sarcasm. As did somebody who thanked my post.

Sorry I was guilty of stating the obvious, but didn't miss the sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I m
    I meant regarding the woman who was phoned directly

I'm not an expert but I believe they could be in breach simply for recording her number and using it to contact her.
    Regardless of where they say they got the details from, they have collected and processed her data without her consent and without any valid legal basis.

The only legal reasons for processing data re as below:
    (a) Consent: the individual has given clear consent for you to process their personal data for a specific purpose.

(b) Contract: the processing is necessary for a contract you have with the individual, or because they have asked you to take specific steps before entering into a contract.

(c) Legal obligation: the processing is necessary for you to comply with the law (not including contractual obligations).

(d) Vital interests: the processing is necessary to protect someone’s life.

(e) Public task: the processing is necessary for you to perform a task in the public interest or for your official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law.

(f) Legitimate interests: the processing is necessary for your legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party, unless there is a good reason to protect the individual’s personal data which overrides those legitimate interests. (This cannot apply if you are a public authority processing data to perform your official tasks.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

It's a pleasant change from the pro-life side generalizing that the majority of women have an abortion because:

- they're sluts
    - they're selfish
    - they could easily just give it up for adoption
    - they haven't got what it takes to be a mother
    - they're murderers

https://www.thejournal.ie/eamonn-murphy-high-court-my-options-4495278-Feb2019/
    Looks like the dodgy myoptions website should be on the way out thank feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

gmisk wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/eamonn-murphy-high-court-my-options-4495278-Feb2019/
    Looks like the dodgy myoptions website should be on the way out thank feck.

I despair of this kind of crank thinking he'd get away with it. Did he really think it'd last?

No doubt whoever put him up to it (I Only woNder About that occasionally) is happy with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What a total creep.

This line from him is very strange.....what involvement or say would people outside of ireland need to have?

He claimed that a number of individuals from outside of Ireland had contacted his company since it began trading as ‘My Options’, and argued that it would be unfair if he was to stop using the name as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The easiest way to get around medical professionals with conscientious objections to terminating life..... make it clear they won't be hired.

DzdNROlXgAIFELW.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The easiest way to get around medical professionals with conscientious objections to terminating life..... make it clear they won't be hired.

Well if you're looking to hire more staff in order to cater for the increased demand in abortions, it's probably fair enough to stipulate that they'll have to actually provide abortions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I saw an ad for bar staff, the ad stipulated that applicants would be expected to serve alcohol.

Mental I know.

Amirani wrote: »
    Well if you're looking to hire more staff in order to cater for the increased demand in abortions, it's probably fair enough to stipulate that they'll have to actually provide abortions...

Are they hiring staff to cater for an increased demand for abortions? Most will be done under GP care.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Great news, thanks for sharing.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Are they hiring staff to cater for an increased demand for abortions? Most will be done under GP care.

Most likely not just specifically that.

Yesterday in the Dail the Taoiseach was asked about restricting peaceful protests near centres where abortions are happening, he had this to say: that the government and the attorney general were "running into real difficulties around restricting peaceful protest and restricting free speech".
    The Taoiseach said peaceful protest and free speech are the cornerstones of a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yesterday in the Dail the Taoiseach was asked about restricting peaceful protests near centres where abortions are happening, he had this to say: that the government and the attorney general were "running into real difficulties around restricting peaceful protest and restricting free speech".
    The Taoiseach said peaceful protest and free speech are the cornerstones of a democracy.

Rather a moot point I'd say as the protests appear to have died away completely. As indeed does pro-life activism as a whole in Ireland...

Rather a moot point I'd say as the protests appear to have died away completely. As indeed does pro-life activism as a whole in Ireland...

It shows the extremism of some who wanted exclusion zones was all hysteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

good riddance

myself and the other half went through this which was very difficult for both of us, the mention of pro life rubbish on the radio would reduce her to tears, the pain they cause to people is cruel

Advertisement