Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,188 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sheeps wrote: »
    I don't feel comfortable with 12 weeks. I don't feel like I'm alone on this, given that 49% of people stated in exit poles that they also didn't feel comfortable with the proposed 12 weeks on request.

8 to 10 weeks is a far more palatable to me depending on the stage of development and health of the foetus.

My understanding is it is as much to do with the developmental stage of the unborn and with the ability to detect the pregnancy to begin with. It's not unheard of to take up to 10 weeks to determine pregnancy, the average in the US levels out about 6 weeks. It can take longer than 12 weeks, also.

But really, your argument comes down to a difference of 2 weeks - so, you're okay with 'abortion on demand' as long as it is within 10 weeks instead of 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭tigger123

_Dara_ wrote: »
    SO dignified.

8_A634833-4435-4261-92_D0-_EC8_CCB8_D6201.jpg

One solution would be to go live in another country!

I'm sure they would of won 100%-0%, had a certain poster brought her original and insightful take on the issue to the mass audience

Cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Is that what the no side really think? Or is that just what you think the no side really think? Can you honestly say you've tried to understand the no side's point of view in this or have you one of the 79% of people who've had their minds made up since before the referendum was announced?

Didn’t more of the No side make their minds up before campaigning?

Thought I saw that earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

January wrote: »
    So 8 weeks from lmp is 6 weeks really. Most women are only finding out they're pregnant then.

Maybe they should be being educated about missed periods and given free pregnancy tests in that case? There's no reason it should take that long to figure out that you're pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

People who care enough to come home to vote should have a vote
    The rule is outdated

I agree but is it right that while it remains the law it should be abused and that abuse condoned?

The law is an ass but if you do 51km/h in a 50 you could get a ticket.

But if you essentially commit electoral fraud the state pats you on the back and says it's grand.

Just doesn't seem right (and nothing unique to do with this particular issue, it happens at every election and referendum).
    tigger123 wrote: »

He's welcome surrender his passport at the airport. No one gets to pick and choose what laws they obey - making him a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Is that what the no side really think? Or is that just what you think the no side really think? Can you honestly say you've tried to understand the no side's point of view in this or have you one of the 79% of people who've had their minds made up since before the referendum was announced?

I looked at the facts, omitted the lies and made up my own mind. I’m sure that’s a difficult concept to comprehend for some.

Maybe they should be being educated about missed periods and given free pregnancy tests in that case? There's no reason it should take that long to figure out that you're pregnant.

Forced pregnancy tests every 5 weeks? That’ll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So Ganley refuses to pay any taxes in the USA, on hid business interests there.

The item on NI is from the UK Sunday papers not Sky. They simply reported it.

• Advertisement

SO dignified.

Yeah that won't open up a can of worms or nothing. What about the conscientious objection to a military, for example, or paying for weaponry the AGS may use? What about foreign aid to countries where abortion is more liberal?

But hey be ready for it, they're going to use every avenue they can.

tigger123 wrote: »

A list of countries that ban abortion was listed earlier in this thread. He has a few to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You’re not going to get a third referendum to reimplement the 8th no matter what you believe. Ireland has moved on.

Can you point to where I said I sought a 3rd referendum?

I believe in democracy and I believe in a persons right to have an opposing opinion and their right to be right or wrong in the opinion.

The people of this nation made a choice. Lets just wait and see whether that trust was justified and the effects it will have on the psyche of the nation.

Your knowledge amazes me. You do realise that not everyone female is like clockwork? I’m sure you’ve heard of the phrase “irregular periods”. That often means that some are missed.

amcalester wrote: »
    Forced pregnancy tests every 5 weeks? That’ll work.

Where did I say forced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

SO dignified.

I've got just the solution for him to avoid these taxes!

file-photo-the-three-men-arrested-as-part-of-an-investigation-into-an-international-illegal-immigrant-smuggling-network-through-dublin-airport-are-appearing-in-court-this-morning-two-of-those-arres-12-390x285.jpg

Your knowledge amazes me. You do realise that not everyone female is like clockwork?
    Do women often go 10 weeks with out a period and think it's normal?

State funded pregnancy tests? Seems more efficient just to leave it at 12 weeks for the sake of not setting it to 10.

Oh my sweet summer child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Didn’t more of the No side make their minds up before campaigning?

Thought I saw that earlier.

I guess there was many on both sides who had their minds made up, but I do believe many of the No side do have concern of women. I think the fact we don't interact with the unborn and it's out of sight, made it far easier for the yes to over-arch their campaign with little mention of another life, or indeed concern for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

sdanseo wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by the "Home to Vote" thing. The DFA clearly says on its website that people must be ordinarily resident in Ireland to be on the register of electors.
    Yet many politicians seem to be openly endorsing it and the rule seems to be wholsale ignored and unenforced.

I do support citizens being allowed to return and vote for referenda by the way. It just seems strange that unless I'm missing something, there seems to be so much flouting of a pretty basic law to an extent that could well have influence the result (although not significantly enough to affect the outcome).
    I don't support citizens voting here that are not eligible and I find it particularly wrong that people can swan back here, cast a vote (essentially telling us what laws we should live under) and **** off again. The excuse that they might come back in the future doesn't cut it either. They are more than welcome to campaign for changes in the law when they do become resident again.

This is what I don't understand about #hometovote: if the win is large enough than their participation in the vote doesn't matter -it just clocks up unnecessarily air miles. However if the margin is tight enough where it does matter, then hometovote brings the result into disrepute and subject to court challenge.

It's social media and this drive to be part of something larger, a community, a movement that drives this - and it's self serving selfish nonsense. These people are essentially telling us ""we don't care about your laws, my desire to be part of this is more important than that"

Where did I say forced?

Suggested?

Or optional?

Or what?

Can you point to where I said I sought a 3rd referendum?

I believe in democracy and I believe in a persons right to have an opposing opinion and their right to be right or wrong in the opinion.

I thought you wanted another televised debate. For this topic they generally only occur when a referendum does.

Suggested?

Or optional?

Or what?

You give the the option. You know incentivise people to be aware of if they're pregnant or not by giving them free sex education and pregnancy tests so that if it is unwanted, it can be terminated before it reaches a stage of development where it takes human form.

You declared yourself well educated so you tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

I actually voted in the poll that I thought No would win, as I was worried that the No campaign might actually work (Brexit, Trump ...). And the thought of a No win sickened me, and the thought of a narrow win for Yes was depressing too, as it would have meant that the legislation might not get passed by the Dáil. I dearly wanted a clear Yes vote, but was afraid to hope it might happen.

Seeing that first exit poll was ... emotional. Seeing it confirmed, was wonderful.

Looking ahead, to what happens next. My local TD will be getting regular emails about the need for prompt action on the legislation, and I will be sure to get myself back on the NUI register for Seanad elections. There is a certain senator that will not be getting my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 abitofboth

An awful day for the Irish state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

What so take a pregnancy test every week?

I haven't had a period in 2 years thanks to my contraception. If I found out I was pregnant tomorrow I wouldn't have a clue how far along I was. So I should just take a pregnancy test every week to make sure I'm not pregnant is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭GerryCarry

I agree with Declan Ganley, as of today the Rep. of Ireland is now a rogue state using tax payers money to kill innocent unborn children. No difference to Nazi Germany using tax payers money to kill innocent Jews.

I woulnd't have recognized Nazi Germany, and now i don't recognize the Irish State.

As of May 25th 2018:

- I don't recognize the Irish State
    - I don't recognize Dail Eireann
    - And i don't recognize Bunreacht na hEireann (no problem swearing on it in a court of law as it means nothing)

I didn't even want to vote as it was an illegal referendum in the first place (you can't vote on whether to kill innocent babies).

I will be finding ways to pay as little tax to the Irish government as possible from now on (just enough to avoid being put in jail). Wont be paying my TV license as i fear the money will be used to pay for workers to staff the incinerators that kill innocent babies.

• Advertisement

The yes side is a constant circle jerk of putting words the no sides mouth so they can self congratulate one another. There was never any real debate during this referendum. Populism from the left.

Advertisement