Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin marathon to sell out in "few days"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

So is it not possible to get transfers for the DCM from those who have entries but, for whatever reason, cannot partake?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That's charming. Is it really necessary to kick someone when they're already down?

I don't do sympathy for someone that didn't do their research!
    Its more important they learn from it. Then nothing lost but something gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

DeepBlue wrote: »
    So is it not possible to get transfers for the DCM from those who have entries but, for whatever reason, cannot partake?

No transfers, refunds, or deferrals allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

RayCun wrote: »
    No transfers, refunds, or deferrals allowed

It is ridiculous, I have an entry and am not sure my body will be able for it. I hope it will, but I too feel that somebody should be able to run in my place if I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It is ridiculous, I have an entry and am not sure my body will be able for it. I hope it will, but I too feel that somebody should be able to run in my place if I can't.

If it's that ridiculous, why did you sign up in the first place?

A for your body being able for it, that's exactly why we train for these things. The whole point of training is to get the body ready

• Advertisement

If it's that ridiculous, why did you sign up in the first place?

A for your body being able for it, that's exactly why we train for these things. The whole point of training is to get the body ready

What is ridiculous is that I can't transfer my place to somebody else if my troublesome calf muscle doesn't play ball. I have got a load of physio on it and it is holding up.

I have done 3 marathons before...so no need to be so flippant. I know what training is.

What is ridiculous is that I can't transfer my place to somebody else if my troublesome calf muscle doesn't play ball. I have got a load of physio on it and it is holding up.

I have done 3 marathons before...so no need to be so flippant. I know what training is.

If you have a troublesome calf, signing up for the marathon wasn't the smartest thing to do, if your concern about taking someone else place.

Maybe should of aimed for 10k or half.

New York
    All TCS New York City Marathon fees are nonrefundable.
    In keeping with NYRR's Rules of Competition, race numbers are non-transferable; you cannot give or sell your number or tag to another person or participate with an unofficial race number or tag. A participant who does not wear his or her assigned race number and tag, or who is found to have transferred, bought, or sold entry into an NYRR event or otherwise permitted any other individual to wear his or her race number, will be disqualified and suspended from subsequent NYRR events.

London
    Please note that entry fees are not refundable under any circumstances
    Participation in the Event is personal to you; you are strictly prohibited from swapping, selling or transferring or offering to sell, swap or transfer the place in the Event or allowing any other person to wear the Event number. Any breach of this Condition shall render the entry void. If you are found to be in breach of this Condition we reserve the right to exclude you from participation in future Events

Paris
    You can pay 12 euro cancellation insurance when you register. This allows you to cancel and get a refund. Cancellation must be for a valid legal or medical reason, something that prevents you from running the race, and you must provide proof.
    Transfers not allowed.

Berlin
    SCC EVENTS registrations are non-refundable (see §3 paragraph 5) and non-transferable. Only individuals who have officially registered are permitted to participate in races organized by SCC EVENTS. Running without an official registration or "running for someone else" is a violation of the terms and conditions for a participation in SCC EVENTS competitions (§ 3 paragraph 4) and will result in disqualifiacation.

Rotterdam
    Refunds available if you bought the cancellation insurance.
    Transfers allowed for a fee

Frankfurt
    Refunds available on medical grounds, with evidence, and on payment of 20 euro fee.
    Transfers available for 10 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

RayCun wrote: »
    Frankfurt
    Refunds available on medical grounds, with evidence, and on payment of 20 euro fee.
    Transfers available for 10 euro.

60e GP visit for proof, 20e payment for Refund. Entry 88e. Could have just said no when you include payment processing charge as well :pac:

If you have a troublesome calf, signing up for the marathon wasn't the smartest thing to do, if your concern about taking someone else place.

Maybe should of aimed for 10k or half.

Have done a half marathon and it survived! Where did I say I was concerned about taking somebody else's place? I merely pointed out that if something goes wrong me me / whoever, they should be able to transfer the place to somebody else!

• Advertisement

Have done a half marathon and it survived! Where did I say I was concerned about taking somebody else's place? I merely pointed out that if something goes wrong me me / whoever, they should be able to transfer the place to somebody else!

But why should Dublin do this? Other major marathons dont

Those were the rules that were explicitly laid out at the time you signed up. No point in complaining about the rules after you agree to them.

But why should Dublin do this? Other major marathons dont

As the poster above said "Frankfurt
    Transfers available for 10 euro."

It means that somebody else wanting to do it can do it instead of the place going to waste. Comprende?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It means that somebody else wanting to do it can do it instead of the place going to waste. Comprende?

But it doesn't go to waste. Those big events are designed with a calculated dropout rate built in, so those people who pay but then don't show are effectively subsidising those who do.

If transfers were allowed then the organisers would have to account for a higher turnout on the day and devote more resources accordingly, and so if transfers were allowed then the ticket price itself would also have to be increased.

Want to be able to transfer? Then be prepared to pay more up front. Comprende?

This is of course separate from the point that the terms and conditions are well known and stated up front, why on earth accept those t+c's if you didn't agree with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

All handbags aside what's the downside to allowing transfers?

Also what's stopping people just selling their place anyway? What's the major negative of my buddy running under my name?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Also what's stopping people just selling their place anyway? What's the major negative of my buddy running under my name?

Nothing stopping anyone from doing that. I’m sure some people would think it bad form. Keeps two people happy, and nobody really losing out

The downside to allowing transfers is that when you sell 100 entries to a race, you plan for 90 people turning up. If 100 people arrive your event plan is under pressure. If transfers are allowed, you have to expect that 100 will turn up, and you have to spend more to support that but you don't have any extra money. So you have to increase the entry fee.

If people just swap numbers around without transferring, the database of runner information is wrong, which is a problem when one of them is brought to hospital unconscious. And the calculation of results is wrong because some guy ran sub 3 with a W50 number.

With regards allowing transfers its alot of extra admin work, adding a fee is fine but generally people will go around that for hassle to go through proper channels.

From the buddy perspective it has major impact for insurance purposes as you have people running who have not agreed to terms and conditions that come with registration.

From the other perspective if anything happens during the race god forbid last thing you prob want is your family getting a call as your emergency contact

RayCun wrote:
    The downside to allowing transfers is that when you sell 100 entries to a race, you plan for 90 people turning up. If 100 people arrive your event plan is under pressure. If transfers are allowed, you have to expect that 100 will turn up, and you have to spend more to support that but you don't have any extra money. So you have to increase the entry fee.

I'm not sure I fully get that. If I'm organizing a race knowing I'm allowing transfers then I sell 90 and plan for 90.
    RayCun wrote:
    If people just swap numbers around without transferring, the database of runner information is wrong, which is a problem when one of them is brought to hospital unconscious. And the calculation of results is wrong because some guy ran sub 3 with a W50 number.

I hadn't considered the medical reasons. But taking the inconvenience aside for the organizers is there a rule saying somebody cannot sell on their race entry? If I can't make the race and my buddy wants to buy the entry, even though it's probably frowned upon there's actually nothing stopping me giving him my entry?

I'm not sure I fully get that. If I'm organizing a race knowing I'm allowing transfers then I sell 90 and plan for 90.

I hadn't considered the medical reasons. But taking the inconvenience aside for the organizers is there a rule saying somebody cannot sell on their race entry? If I can't make the race and my buddy wants to buy the entry, even though it's probably frowned upon there's actually nothing stopping me giving him my entry?

So you used to be putting on a race with 100 entry fees and now you are trying to put on the same race with only 90 entry fees.

There is actually a rule saying you are not allowed transfer your number.

• Advertisement

Just so people know I'm not promoting any of this behavior but just trying to understand why such fuss over transfers and no transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I don't see why its such a big admin issue, surely a self service portal could be developed....I can't run so I want to transfer to Swashbuckler. Update the name, contact details, etc.
    Job done.
    I don't see the problem. I get it that they plan for a percentage of dropouts but its not an exact science either so they still need to plan for the number of entries they've sold.
    I get that they don't want people running under somebody else's bib and I could understand if they said from a month out no changes...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don't see why its such a big admin issue, surely a self service portal could be developed....I can't run so I want to transfer to Swashbuckler. Update the name, contact details, etc.
    Job done.
    I don't see the problem. I get it that they plan for a percentage of dropouts but its not an exact science either so they still need to plan for the number of entries they've sold.
    I get that they don't want people running under somebody else's bib and I could understand if they said from a month out no changes...

Self service portal could be developed. How much would that cost? Transfer fee could offset the cost - but why bother? It’s a solution in search of a problem. If such a system is applied and results in more runners as a rule, costs go up or number of first round entries has to be lowered. In other words, scarcity is increased. Why should DCM change a system that works well, as demonstrated by popularity of the event? :puzzled:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Could anyone get numbers for Registered/paid up runners and those who actually start the race? I have a feeling it's quite high in some marathons, the fall off. Nice little few bob to play with. I'm not claiming that organisers are making easy money but I do wonder if something couldn't be done in say the last two weeks of an event that sells out months in advance. Open a transfer window, as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Art O'Neil I think it was was the only transfer I needed to do recently and it's all done yourself online, a simple system. With something the scale of Dublin Marathon you can have one knocked up in a day or two at no great expense, it's no big technical challenge assuming entry info is not stored on paper these days.

Itziger wrote: »
    Could anyone get numbers for Registered/paid up runners and those who actually start the race? I have a feeling it's quite high in some marathons, the fall off. Nice little few bob to play with. I'm not claiming that organisers are making easy money but I do wonder if something couldn't be done in say the last two weeks of an event that sells out months in advance. Open a transfer window, as it were.

Usually 10-15% of entries aren't used in races. You can roughly work it by checking the number of finishers.

But the extra money doesn't go on coke and hookers, it goes into the race. If that money doesn't come in, the spending on the race has to be cut back. That, or the entry fee has to be increased. Do you want to pay more to enter a race so someone else can get a place after entries close?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Job done.

Self service portal could be developed. How much would that cost? Transfer fee could offset the cost - but why bother? It’s a solution in search of a problem. If such a system is applied and results in more runners as a rule, costs go up or number of first round entries has to be lowered. In other words, scarcity is increased. Why should DCM change a system that works well, as demonstrated by popularity of the event? :puzzled:

Murph_D wrote: »

A self service portal similar to the one you use to register, I bet one already exists......maybe call the Frankfurt organisers.....

I just think if I can't run somebody else should be able to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Every! Single!! Year!!! The!!! Same!!! Bloody!!! Moaning!!!

Is it really so hard to understand?

The organisers decided the course is suitable for 17-18000 runner and they know that if they sell 20000 tickets, 17-18 will turn up. Perfect.

The "extra" entries are not lost. That's in the plan. If 20k turned up, they're in trouble.

Also, the money from the unused entries don't just disappear into the organisers' pockets. They are used to pay for the cost of putting on the race itself.

Therefore, if they allowed transfers, then a) they'd only sell 18k entries rather than 20k and b) the price per entry would go up by 10% because they still need the same amount of money coming in to pay for the costs. Do you really think that would be preferable?

It's not bloody rocket science!

Advertisement