Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin marathon to sell out in "few days"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

is there not an infastrucure thread some where lads...marathon is very nearly sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I agree we should be investing bit-by-bit. But 3bn for 1 line - our entire HSE costs 20bn to run.

I would also like to see something like an proper escrow account (or maybe use the 13bn we already have in the Apple one! :) ) which we could build something with during the next downturn. It would provide an economic stimulus at such a time.

I think first we need to increase density in city, take the pressure off the roads/buses/trains at least a little bit, then see where we are at.

Why do we always think in terms of cost. The 3bn is an investment. It creates jobs, will help move people around the city, will make the city more attractive to foreign businesses etc etc.

Of course we need to build up, but not in the historic centre, but rather in the Docklands/Ringsend area. Have a sort of Canary Wharf type area. But most people live in the suburbs and we should not have to suffer awful buses and car journeys, when our counterparts in Amsterdam, Oslo, Stockholm, Vienna, Copenhagen, Nuremberg, and many other cities our size, enjoy comfortable journeys to work by Train/Metro/Tram/Bike. A bus should never be the primary mode of public transportation in any big city. It should be supplementary. A way of connecting people to the nearest metro or train station.

It really is laughable how far behind the rest of Europe we, as a country, are, not just in terms of infrastructure, but also in terms of thinking.

is there not an infastrucure thread some where lads...marathon is very nearly sold out

Fair enough. People are whingeing about the route. I'm explaining a legit reason for why that route is so boring and takes in so little of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

On the marathon, I would absolutely love if it did not go up Roebuck Road - I absolutely hate that part of the route.

Funny enough once I get to Roebuck Road I'm delighted, that's the point for me when I know I'm almost finished and most of the work is done.

The bit I struggle most on is directly before that, Clonskeagh Road from the junction at Milltown, it just seems to be the deadest, draggiest bit of road imaginable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

benjamin d wrote: »
    Funny enough once I get to Roebuck Road I'm delighted, that's the point for me when I know I'm almost finished and most of the work is done.

The bit I struggle most on is directly before that, Clonskeagh Road from the junction at Milltown, it just seems to be the deadest, draggiest bit of road imaginable!

Yeah true, sort of the whole way from the Dropping Well to the top of the hill at Roebuck Road is misery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Ah lads, bore off with the infrastructure chat.

I think the current finish line is great. A solid mile of big crowds.

I hated pearse street finish. It was grim turning onto it with all the traffic and no crowd.

Djoucer wrote: »
    Ah lads, bore off with the infrastructure chat.

I think the current finish line is great. A solid mile of big crowds.

I hated pearse street finish. It was grim turning onto it with all the traffic and no crowd.

Agree - that was why I didn't continue with the argument re infrastructure, not the forum.

Did it finish on Pearse Street? I remember Merrion Square after running around Nassau Street. Was Pearse Street a previous version?

Actually is there a history of the routes anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It used to loop around Trinity college.

Once you got to the front gates and Nassau street it was great, but Pearse street was horrible - no support and traffic overtaking a couple of metres away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I remember watching it finishing on O'Connell Street, as I staggered around drunk from leaving the pub after finishing my night shift.

RayCun wrote: »

Once you got to the front gates and Nassau street it was great, but Pearse street was horrible - no support and traffic overtaking a couple of metres away.

Yeah that's the one I remember. My first marathon was that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    No way. They do this in Melbourne at the MCG and it is absolutely sh1te!

Worst marathon I've ever seen by the way. It takes in none of the CBD, except a tiny bit of Flinders Street at the start and the end, and most people in the city have no idea it is even going on. It covers just a few roads in an out and back format, along with Albert Park (which is a nice area). It takes in absolutely none of the Northside, which is where all the culture and charming streets and districts are. Tram tracks could be an excuse, but there are tram tracks on some of the streets they do actually use.

Worst of all, they start the marathon at 7am, to get it over and done with as quickly as they can, and there are bugger all people supporting on the course. Sonia O'Sullivan had a rant about in the Irish Times last year I recall.

Here's the map:

http://melbournemarathon.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/MM17-Course-Map-A4.pdf

Dublin's route looks a bit uninspiring to be honest (though better than what Melbourne offers), but we as people, continue to not push our government to build an underground network (we will always remain a car dependent society regrettably). If we had an underground, you could shut down the centre of the city for a marathon, but without such first world transport systems (that the rest of Europe enjoys and assumes to be a normal part of a functioning city), we can't go shutting down areas where the LUAS and buses run.

Doesn't the Amsterdam marathon not start and finish in the Olympic Stadium.
    I do think a new route should be possible to include more areas of the north side.

Doesn't the Amsterdam marathon not start and finish in the Olympic Stadium.
    I do think a new route should be possible to include more areas of the north side.

The Amsterdam Olympic stadium has a long proud history associated with athletics, and only recently hosted the European Championships.

The MCG is an AFL and Cricket ground. Granted it hosted the Commonwealth Games, but the reason they finish there is to tap into the general public who are AFL obsessed, and because the rest of the route is absolute pants. I went in once, and it was terrible. Everyone supporting was forced up into the stands, and the oval nature of the venue meant supporters were miles from the runners. Supporters tried to get close but the security guards were miserable gits. No chance of high fiveing your mates in the last 400m, or hugging your spouse or kids, or whatever you like to do.

If the marathon isn't finishing on an iconic athletics track, that has a rich association with the sport, then leave it on the streets is what I say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Chivito550 wrote: »
    If the marathon isn't finishing on an iconic athletics track, that has a rich association with the sport, then leave it on the streets is what I say.

Even then I think I'd rather run down a street with the crowd cheering inches away from you than in a stadium however iconic where the nearest person is tens of meters away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Djoucer wrote: »
    Friendly reminder for those not on FB.

Dublin marathon down to 2500 entries today. They reckon it'll sell out in next few days.

A big thanks for posting this.

Saw it last night and thought about it. Pulled the trigger on it today.

Ran it in 2016 and have been slack enough with my fitness ever since. Buzzing thinking about getting back into the training plan now.

A big thanks for posting this.

Saw it last night and thought about it. Pulled the trigger on it today.

Ran it in 2016 and have been slack enough with my fitness ever since. Buzzing thinking about getting back into the training plan now.

Same as that, last ran it in 2010 I think. Have been fit on-off since then, but do need the target to train for.

Can't wait now until my inspiration turns to perspiration.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Same as that, last ran it in 2010 I think. Have been fit on-off since then, but do need the target to train for.

Can't wait now until my inspiration turns to perspiration.......

Exactly, a marathon gives you a great target. The day itself is brilliant but looking back, the training is what makes it, you're in great shape mentally and physically leading up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Exactly, a marathon gives you a great target. The day itself is brilliant but looking back, the training is what makes it, you're in great shape mentally and physically leading up to it.

And then spend November wondering why you feel ****e all the time.

November = feet up until January!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Signed up myself today. All through training for London it was in head to skip DCM, break the cycle and take a rest and just enjoy “social” running.

Cue the heat on the day and on plane home I’d myself convinced that I didn’t get a fair crack of the whip and will have to go again, skip a spring marathon instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

RayCun wrote: »

That was a valiant attempt to gain some kudos, I'll give you that. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Last 200 spots according to Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

robinph wrote:
    Would need a major uptick in the rate of entries to get through 2500 in a "few days" then.

It took 7 days. Generously granted as a grey area.

Let's call it a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭Trampas

ligerdub wrote: »

Let's call it a draw.

More like let the i didn’t get in and done all this training commence

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've no training done but I have an entry, why can't I sell my entry to the highest bidder on ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

adrian522 wrote: »
    I've no training done but I have an entry, why can't I sell my entry to the highest bidder on ebay?

Who says you can't?

But scalping is generally wrong and I'd say fundamentally wrong here. Also, loads of time left to train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Couldn’t bring myself to part with €93. I’ll do Monaghan again, fantastic club race for a third of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Couldn’t bring myself to part with €93. I’ll do Monaghan again, fantastic club race for a third of the price.

Actually if Dublin can put on a marathon for only three times the Monaghan cost, they’re doing something right. :pac:

ligerdub wrote: »
    robinph wrote:
    Would need a major uptick in the rate of entries to get through 2500 in a "few days" then.

Let's call it a draw.
    It was a self full filling prophecy. If they had said nothing then it would have sold out in a month, they just got it over and done with a bit quicker by posting that "prediction".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

It'll be interesting to see if the dropout rate is higher than usual this year. Selling out 5 months in advance means most entrants wont have started training in earnest yet and I assume a lot of people won't start at all. At least when you enter a few weeks in advance you have a fair idea if you'll be ready or not.

Advertisement