Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin marathon to sell out in "few days"

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I think what people are missing here, is that if you forget about the looking down your nose on people like the poster above who didn't sign up.
    Everybody agrees that DCM is a great event, it is the only marathon I have ran so I can't compare it London, etc. But as a supporter who has attended London, the atmosphere in Dublin is epic.
    All anybody is trying to do is make it more accessible for more people, it is hardly a crime to ask if insurance/systems/etc could be added to make this possible?
    If 3-4k people drop out, I can guarantee you one thing, there are probably hundreds of people running on somebody else's badge. That is the effect of the inflexible registration policy, and DCM can ignore it or do something about it. It shouldn't be done, but tell people they can't do something and they will find a way.
    For what its worth, I never heard about this "annual" issue before this year! Unlike the pubs being open on Good Friday / St. Patricks Day drunkenness / split Dublin footballers in two / etc.
    It only became an issue with the spike in numbers agter the awitch from Monday to Sunday. In the years prior to that the cut off was the first Friday in October 3 out weeks from race day. In earlier years it was possible to enter on theweekend of the race buts thats going back to antiquity.
    I can see the difficulty from the organisers point of view, they put on a top class event in an expensive and hostile(from a trafic management point of view) environment. It is however unfair to pocket money from punters who are unable to avail of the service provided. If it were a hotel chain, holiday company or Ryanair who did this it would ne met with universal derission.6 months is much too far removed from a marathon to enter with confidence, any manner of life events can upscutyle your preparation in that time and the financial loss on top of the loss of your plans is a bit too mean imo.
    The situation is probably an unforseen consequence of the switch from Monday to Sunday and I believe a solution will be arrived at in time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ultrapercy wrote: »
    If it were a hotel chain

Part of the reason for going to spectate at London this year when we had to both defer, and so both relinquished entry fees as was non-refundable, was that the hotel was already paid for, and non-refundable, and the 1st Class train was paid for, and non-refundable.

We knew full well when paying for each of these things that they were not refundable. That is the risk we took. We could have taken out insurance of some kind possibly, but I don't think that having the flu a few weeks earlier and then being recovered would be accepted for a claim on not taking a train ride or hotel stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

devilabit wrote: »
    I have been training since the start of February but since I have other health issues which compromise my training I dont really know for a number of months if my body will allow me to increase my training load enough in order to complete a marathon. I for one have better things to be doing than keeping an eye on Facebook etc.

It would be better if a certain amount of entries were only released come 1-2 months out from the marathon so that people could make an informed decision but that doesnt work with the commercial reality of organising a large "event". Im not sure it makes sense that a marathon sells out even before the majority of people start their training.

The charity route is an option.

Alot of marathons sell out way before the training start. Most people I know that are running Dublin would of entered back in Feb.

It will sell out earlier next year I would think. It was the first week of July last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Actually there's a point, can you defer in the DCM? Surely those places should be available then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Actually there's a point, can you defer in the DCM? Surely those places should be available then?

No, you can't defer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

We’re getting fleeced with the entry price of DCM at €93. Someone else mentioned NYC at $370, and that most major marathons are a similar price to DCM. Seriously, we can’t be calling Dublin a major marathon, it doesn’t come close. It’s got a decent reputation that is mostly due to being the ‘friendly marathon’. So, we’re good supporters. That’s the major selling point. Personally, I don’t think there’s anything friendly about coughing up €93 for the pleasure. Fair enough, as TFB said above, it’s not the organizers making money, but other stakeholders. Bad form in my opinion.

I did a bit of research on various alternative options for autumn. Only Munich came close to the cost of Dublin. Amsterdam, Venice, Florence, Lisbon, Porto, loads others all in €50-€70 bracket, and with a bit more to offer than being good craic.

Should be noted that most races have an additional price for your chip (unless you own one yourself), t shirt etc. Others offset the lower price by charging charities huge amounts for there entries (couple of hundred for the likes of London). The underground aswell is an issue as plenty of other cities won't charge as much for road closures as there are alternative routes of transport. Also 93e is only paid by a third of the field.

All those people offering advice of improving it should remember that this has been grown to the 5th biggest marathon in Europe. The organizers have constantly provided a great race despite push back from council (the only reason they got Sunday in the first place was because the Gardai couldn't provide manpower for Halloween for race and usual hectic day), Gardai, Church, general public. It is also one of the few races which has time bonus offered to all Irish athletes so you can actually make money from running it.

And if you defer in London or New York, do those places become available?

Should be noted that most races have an additional price for your chip (unless you own one yourself), t shirt etc. Others offset the lower price by charging charities huge amounts for there entries (couple of hundred for the likes of London). The underground aswell is an issue as plenty of other cities won't charge as much for road closures as there are alternative routes of transport. Also 93e is only paid by a third of the field.

All those people offering advice of improving it should remember that this has been grown to the 5th biggest marathon in Europe. The organizers have constantly provided a great race despite push back from council (the only reason they got Sunday in the first place was because the Gardai couldn't provide manpower for Halloween for race and usual hectic day), Gardai, Church, general public. It is also one of the few races which has time bonus offered to all Irish athletes so you can actually make money from running it.

List of the top 20 for 2017. Dublin very impressive in it!

1 Marathon de Paris FRA 42480 41801 1,6
    2 Virgin London Marathon GBR 39278 39155 0,3
    3 Berlin-Marathon GER 39101 36093 8,3
    4 Maratona de Barcelona ESP 16194 16504 -1,9
    5 Maraton Divina Pastora de Valencia ESP 16186 15858 2,1
    6 Dublin Marathon IRE 15886 16759 -5,2
    7 Athens Classic Marathon GRC 14743 13707 7,6
    8 Maratona di Roma ITA 13318 13880 -4,0
    9 Marathon Rotterdam NLD 13138 12814 2,5
    10 Stockholm Marathon SWE 12571 12865 -2,3
    11 Brighton Marathon GBR 12131 10666 13,7
    12 Marathon Hamburg GER 11932 12098 -1,4
    13 Amsterdam Marathon NLD 11442 12193 -6,2
    14 Frankfurt Marathon GER 11141 11886 -6,3
    15 Maraton Ciudad de Sevilla ESP 10145 10351 -2,0
    16 Madrid Marathon ESP 10036 10379 -3,3
    17 Greater Manchester Marathon GBR 8695 9385 -7,4
    18 Firenze Marathon ITA 8438 8215 2,7
    19 Copenhagen Marathon DMK 8154 8371 -2,6
    20 Marathon du Medoc FRA 7912 7668 3,2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

List of the top 20 for 2017. Dublin very impressive in it!

1 Marathon de Paris FRA 42480 41801 1,6
    2 Virgin London Marathon GBR 39278 39155 0,3
    3 Berlin-Marathon GER 39101 36093 8,3
    4 Maratona de Barcelona ESP 16194 16504 -1,9
    5 Maraton Divina Pastora de Valencia ESP 16186 15858 2,1
    6 Dublin Marathon IRE 15886 16759 -5,2
    7 Athens Classic Marathon GRC 14743 13707 7,6
    8 Maratona di Roma ITA 13318 13880 -4,0
    9 Marathon Rotterdam NLD 13138 12814 2,5
    10 Stockholm Marathon SWE 12571 12865 -2,3
    11 Brighton Marathon GBR 12131 10666 13,7
    12 Marathon Hamburg GER 11932 12098 -1,4
    13 Amsterdam Marathon NLD 11442 12193 -6,2
    14 Frankfurt Marathon GER 11141 11886 -6,3
    15 Maraton Ciudad de Sevilla ESP 10145 10351 -2,0
    16 Madrid Marathon ESP 10036 10379 -3,3
    17 Greater Manchester Marathon GBR 8695 9385 -7,4
    18 Firenze Marathon ITA 8438 8215 2,7
    19 Copenhagen Marathon DMK 8154 8371 -2,6
    20 Marathon du Medoc FRA 7912 7668 3,2

6th in that list is very impressive alright, should really be considered 3rd though as the top 3 are in a different league in terms of numbers. It does show that the number of runners being 15k is pretty standard for the number of people the local authorities will allow for running around the streets of a city at one time though. Capital cities also tend to have big wide open avenues that can be used and Paris probably wins in that regard as far as the space available for the start line, for 40k runners they might need to have allowances for 50k+ to be in the one street at the same time and then a straight couple of miles to run before cramming everyone around a tight corner.

Unless DCM moved their start/ finish to the Phoenix Park then there just isn't the space available for more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

harr wrote: »
    I am not a runner but a spectator , my wife has run various marathons and I have accompanied friends who run to various city’s around Europe.
    I think Dublin is one of the few cities where you wouldn’t even know the marathon was talking place. The only location you would know anything is going on is start and finish line or the suburbs.
    Any where else in Dublin City centre you wouldn’t have a clue in other city’s its celebrated with a lot more fan fare and various events to include the marathon and most make it a city wide carnival kind of event.

Oh, I *so* disagree, so much interest from spectators for Dublin marathon, if living anywhere near the route people are out with sweets, cut oranges etc

Now Rome, that's a different matter. Even near the city centre, there were very few spectators along the route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

robinph wrote: »
    Have entered some races where there is the option of paying extra for insurance in the event of you dropping out. Can't remember how much extra it was or what criteria they might have for being able to make a claim though.

Have had to miss a few races, but have never felt that the event owes me anything in return for my failure to be able to turn up on the race day.

Paris marathon has this cancellation option, costs about E10 if I remember right. Problem is it only holds for medical (incl injury) reasons and getting the documentation to prove that to them costs a fair bit of money too. So the real cost of a cancellation will be higher and I think depends on your injury risk whether it's worth investing in the insurance :rollers:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭runrun2

Oh, I *so* disagree, so much interest from spectators for Dublin marathon, if living anywhere near the route people are out with sweets, cut oranges etc

Now Rome, that's a different matter. Even near the city centre, there were very few spectators along the route.

I dont think OP is referring to the general public participation but more so on the organisers side/tourist bord side.

No fanfare or festivity which is very true. Any instrument playing etc during the event is from some member of the public pulling out a Guitar outside their house or busking on the side of the road on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

robinph wrote: »
    6th in that list is very impressive alright, should really be considered 3rd though as the top 3 are in a different league in terms of numbers. It does show that the number of runners being 15k is pretty standard for the number of people the local authorities will allow for running around the streets of a city at one time though. Capital cities also tend to have big wide open avenues that can be used and Paris probably wins in that regard as far as the space available for the start line, for 40k runners they might need to have allowances for 50k+ to be in the one street at the same time and then a straight couple of miles to run before cramming everyone around a tight corner.

Unless DCM moved their start/ finish to the Phoenix Park then there just isn't the space available for more people.

Why the constant narrative of endeavouring to make things bigger i.e more participants? I don't mean to make that a personal comment, it is more a reflection on what I hear on a near daily basis.

Bigger doesn't always mean better. I think the numbers are too big as they are to be honest.

Sure, it is great to be number 6 on the list. I would urge people to look down at No.9 and 13, both races I have taken part in (so a useful comparison). Smaller marathons, one in a city roughly the same size as Dublin, the other a fraction of the population.

The drive shouldn't be numbers driven, they already have a very successful event; an event I think is in many ways fantastic. The drive now should be to the best marathon in Europe, not the biggest - the drive for quality and standards.

Paris marathon has this cancellation option, costs about E10 if I remember right. Problem is it only holds for medical (incl injury) reasons and getting the documentation to prove that to them costs a fair bit of money too. So the real cost of a cancellation will be higher and I think depends on your injury risk whether it's worth investing in the insurance :rollers:

And you have the added cost of getting a medical cert sorted even if you are healthy to run in Paris. Against my better judgement I've ended up entered in a race in France later this year and am not keen on that additional faff and expense, or needing to justify myself to a GP who knows practically nothing about running or my medical conditions and how I deal with them. Grrr :(

Advertisement