Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Healy Raes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

No as if you read the question I wanted info from an official source, opinions are just opinions and two a penny, both yours and mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Graces7 wrote: »

Absolutely.... 100% ...

And again.. evasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No as if you read the question I wanted info from an official source, opinions are just opinions and two a penny, both yours and mine.

You posted the link to the explanation and then ignored it all apart from the one bit about local politics :P:P:P

Graces7 wrote: »

And again.. evasion.

???

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You posted the link to the explanation and then ignored it all apart from the one bit about local politics :P:P:P

Up and till this point (my request for an link to official info) the thread was full of post saying the HRs shouldn't be doing local work.

I posted the only official link I could find that said they do local work, as well as national.

As everyone was adamant they should not do local work, I asked the question, not directed at you personally.

No links have been forthcoming.

Its pretty simple.

When I am told the reason why I voted HR, by people who do not know me or my circumstances, thats rubbish. If I tell you your front door is red, when you know its green I am sure you would think I was a C£$t (before you say it I know you think that already).

• Advertisement

Up and till this point (my request for an link to official info) the thread was full of post saying the HRs shouldn't be doing local work.

I posted the only official link I could find that said they do local work, as well as national.

As everyone was adamant they should not do local work, I asked the question, not directed at you personally.

No links have been forthcoming.

Its pretty simple.

When I am told the reason why I voted HR, by people who do not know me or my circumstances, thats rubbish. If I tell you your front door is red, when you know its green I am sure you would think I was a C£$t (before you say it I know you think that already).

I don’t think your anything, it’s a discussion forum

I cannot comment on any posters, not sure why you keep referring to them.

You just don’t seem to understand what a TD does, or is supposed to do. Or maybe you do understand but in some sort of blind loyalty you seem determined not to admit that the current jobs the Healy Rae do is not a TD, it’s a councillor. They are just getting paid TD wages

So let’s put a few things down a TD should do
    Provide new legislation
    Update existing legislation
    Promote the local area to international business for investment
    Promote local companies to a national and international level

Now, if that list above, are the Healy Rae providing any of that to the people of Kerry?

Or are they taking 8 odd million of tax payers money to “fix the road” which is actually the job of your councillors, which of course is another band of Healy Raes

You keep saying the same thing "You just don’t seem to understand what a TD does, or is supposed to do."

I agree, as I said I only found that one link so asked for more as posters (i.e. everyone else who has posted) seemed to have a better understanding than me.

As I have stated MHR, IMO, is the best person for the job that I could vote for. Not for road repairs, pot holes, etc as suggested, but for the common sense approach and the way he improved lives and is a voice of rural Ireland in government. MHR is an interdependent and I believe that makes a difference in the range of influence they have and their overall workload.

There are certainly things in policy I disagree with, I don't think I have ever agreed 100% with all the views of any politician I have voted for, but given the huge amount of work they do I think good value.

With regard your points, simple answer is I don't know. I have heard and read about MHR speaking about national matter, farming matters, European matters, and on the document I found he seemed to be fulling the job spec. In all the info I have read it aways says TD have the power to... never is there a requirement as you mention in your points that suggest if an interdependent TD does not propose new legislation he is a bad TD, so fundamentally that where our point of views clash. You can say I have avoided your questions, but the truth is I can't be arsed to do any research tonight, and when my original question was "what should a TD do, info from an official source" I dont think I should.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Provide new legislation

Now, if that list above, are the Healy Rae providing any of that to the people of Kerry?

What? No. Not the last two. We have a government department and several agencies, including the IDA and Enterprise Ireland, whose job that is. And they're quite good at it, too. Please, the last thing we want is gombeen TDs involved in meeting the likes of directors and CEOs of FDI companies - they'd run a mile after meeting yer man with the cyap!
    Or are they taking 8 odd million of tax payers money to “fix the road” which is actually the job of your councillors, which of course is another band of Healy Raes

"That's my family's garage. That's my family's pub! That's my family's chip van!"

You'd think we'd have gotten rid of the feudal fiefdoms when we got independence, wouldn't you...

What? No. Not the last two. We have a government department and several agencies, including the IDA and Enterprise Ireland, whose job that is. And they're quite good at it, too. Please, the last thing we want is gombeen TDs involved in meeting the likes of directors and CEOs of FDI companies - they'd run a mile after meeting yer man with the cyap!

IDA and Enterprise Ireland job is to attach companies to Ireland. I know my local TD was pushing to get these companies when they move to Ireland to put their base into our county and not the standard "we will stick them into Dublin"

He will probably get re-elected because two of those large American companies are building now in our area.

That I would see that also as role of TD, have the ability to meet the owner of XYZ American company. I know I work for an American company and anytime our C Level are over opening anything we have a TD or most recent Leo the kitten at events.

Can you imagine those pair showing up ranting and raving to a C level from America. They would run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I don’t think your anything, it’s a discussion forum

I cannot comment on any posters, not sure why you keep referring to them.

You just don’t seem to understand what a TD does, or is supposed to do. Or maybe you do understand but in some sort of blind loyalty you seem determined not to admit that the current jobs the Healy Rae do is not a TD, it’s a councillor. They are just getting paid TD wages

Provide new legislation

A TD is elected to serve the people who vote for them, and well over 30,000 people in South Kerry voted number 1 for the Healy Rae's in the last general election.

It's not like there was a lack of options on the polling card either, so you should realise that in reality they are obviously doing a lot more than fixing the road.

You should realise that, but you mightn't. Whether you open your mind or not will make not one jot of a difference to the Healy Rae's or the 30,000 people who voted them in. You'll just end up winding yourself up for no reason at all.

Let it go man, relax and enjoy yourself instead of worrying and arguing over things that don't concern you and you can't do a blessed bit about.

http://www.soldiersofdestiny.org/serious.jpg

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Let it go man, relax and enjoy yourself instead of worrying and arguing over things that don't concern you.

Sorry, mate, democracy - and corruption - concerns us all. Mightn't be a popular opinion in South Kerry, I know.

30,000 people voting for that. 30,000 suckers. Jesus wept.

Sorry, mate, democracy - and corruption - concerns us all. Mightn't be a popular opinion in South Kerry, I know.

30,000 people voting for that. 30,000 suckers. Jesus wept.
    That’s democracy, mate.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

A TD is elected to serve the people who vote for them, and well over 30,000 people in South Kerry voted number 1 for the Healy Rae's in the last general election.

It's not like there was a lack of options on the polling card either, so you should realise that in reality they are obviously doing a lot more than fixing the road.

You should realise that, but you mightn't. Whether you open your mind or not will make not one jot of a difference to the Healy Rae's or the 30,000 people who voted them in. You'll just end up winding yourself up for no reason at all.

Let it go man, relax and enjoy yourself instead of worrying and arguing over things that don't concern you and you can't do a blessed bit about.

http://www.soldiersofdestiny.org/serious.jpg

I find it funny to ask someone to relax.....do you think people are jumping around hopping mad at a laptop? as I already said it is a discussion

Its a discussion forum, whats the point of using a discussion forum if you are not going to discuss anything?

Are you saying people shouldnt learn anything new? maybe after this discussion someone will review and say, actually the Healy Rae are not representing me at a national level and change their vote?

The old attitude of "ahh sure let it go, sure it was always like that" is hopefully leaving Irish society. More and more people are questioning government and that will make it all the better. We might finally get value for our tax money

I also never said the Healy Rae only fix the road. They do great work, but that work is a councillors work, not a TDs. Thats the point.

I find it funny to ask someone to relax.....do you think people are jumping around hopping mad at a laptop? as I already said it is a discussion

Its a discussion forum, whats the point of using a discussion forum if you are not going to discuss anything?

Are you saying people shouldnt learn anything new? maybe after this discussion someone will review and say, actually the Healy Rae are not representing me at a national level and change their vote?

The old attitude of "ahh sure let it go, sure it was always like that" is hopefully leaving Irish society. More and more people are questioning government and that will make it all the better. We might finally get value for our tax money

I also never said the Healy Rae only fix the road. They do great work, but that work is a councillors work, not a TDs. Thats the point.

You don't have a point. That's my point.

You're rambling on about people you clearly know nothing about.

If your goal is to make some of the 30,000 people who went out and voted number 1 for them in the last general election change their mind and vote for someone else who would you suggest they vote for instead and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

[/B]

If your goal is to make some of the 30,000 people who went out and voted number 1 for them in the last general election change their mind and vote for someone else who would you suggest they vote for instead and why?

That’s it in a nutshell, there is NOBODY else!
    As one of the 30,000 who voted Rae none of the other candidates (from whatever political party, or any of the independent runners) would come anywhere near the amount of work the Rae’s get through.

After the next election, don’t be surprised to see three Raes in the Dail

[/B]

First I was to relax, now I don't have a point? :p

If you don't think corruption in our government is not a point I am concerned. Personally I pay tax, not for some crook's below in Kerry

In terms of alternatives: https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/kerry/

Seems a fairly long list of alternatives....are you saying none of them are any good>

In terms of alternatives: https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/kerry/

Seems a fairly long list of alternatives....are you saying none of them are any good>

Exactly!!

invicta wrote: »
    Exactly!!

Based on what?

From the poster here I was replying to he was voting for the Healy Rae based on what a councilor does. Maybe the rest of them lost votes because they are actually offering what a TD should do

If you don't think corruption in our government is not a point I am concerned. Personally I pay tax, not for some crook's below in Kerry

Yes, you should relax because you don't have a point. You're just waffling on with the same ol' tune ad infinitum.

For what it's worth I think corruption among our politicians is a major issue, you don't have to read back too far in this very thread to confirm this if you are so inclined.

If you're not inclined to read back that's fine by me too. I couldn't care less about someone who wants to argue with strangers he will never know, about a topic he knows even less about. Again, because I'm a nice guy, I'd advise you to not be concerned about things you have no control over and can't do a blessed bit about. If more than 30,000 people want to vote for particular politicians in one area that you know nothing about, let it slide. You're coming across as a bit preoccupied about something that is of no relevance to you.

I know all the alternatives and would be on first name terms and get on quite well with a few of them. Why would you think I would consider them to be no good?

I asked you to name someone else in South Kerry you think is worth voting number 1 for and why, I'm not surprised you tried to avoid the questions in your typical amateurish fashion of debating. You obviously know the square root of fcuk all about politics, especially the Healy Rae's and their ethos.

You complain about wanting a discussion but can't discuss anything, but look carry on with your childish attempts at deflection and imaginary point scoring. If that actually makes you happy, drive on. Just don't think you are fooling anyone because you're not.

And hey, we all pay tax, some of us more than others. I'm happy to pay my share as I'm a patriot and proud of my country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm happy to pay my share as I'm a patriot and proud of my country.

You'll pay your share if you're happy or sad about it Rows Grower ;)

How do you feel about Michael Healy Rae purchasing a property at an Allsop auction, having previously protested at a sale of distressed properties by the British company?

• Advertisement

What a TD should do??

Apart from the 2 boys, what have Mr’s Brassill or Griffin done for the county OR country over the last 4 - 41/2 years??
    Brendan Griffin is a junior minister, and John Brassil has been practically unheard of.

Yes, you should relax because you don't have a point. You're just waffling on with the same ol' tune ad infinitum.

For what it's worth I think corruption among our politicians is a major issue, you don't have to read back too far in this very thread to confirm this if you are so inclined.

If you're not inclined to read back that's fine by me too. I couldn't care less about someone who wants to argue with strangers he will never know, about a topic he knows even less about. Again, because I'm a nice guy, I'd advise you to not be concerned about things you have no control over and can't do a blessed bit about. If more than 30,000 people want to vote for particular politicians in one area that you know nothing about, let it slide. You're coming across as a bit preoccupied about something that is of no relevance to you.

I know all the alternatives and would be on first name terms and get on quite well with a few of them. Why would you think I would consider them to be no good?

I asked you to name someone else in South Kerry you think is worth voting number 1 for and why, I'm not surprised you tried to avoid the questions in your typical amateurish fashion of debating. You obviously know the square root of fcuk all about politics, especially the Healy Rae's and their ethos.

You complain about wanting a discussion but can't discuss anything, but look carry on with your childish attempts at deflection and imaginary point scoring. If that actually makes you happy, drive on. Just don't think you are fooling anyone because you're not.

And hey, we all pay tax, some of us more than others. I'm happy to pay my share as I'm a patriot and proud of my country.

:p:p:p:p:p:p

Hint a wee nerve

Tell you what, if I know nothing. Please tell me

1. What companies have Healy Rae brought to Kerry to help increase jobs?
    2. What new legislation have the Healy Rae brought to government to improve Kerry?
    3. What new legislation have the Healy Rae brought to government to improve Ireland?
    4. If not new, what existing have they asked to improve?

If I know f**k all, then I am open to understanding what they have done? those would be a couple of typical questions to ask a TD

Not sure why you are talking about been a patriot?

:p:p:p:p:p:p

Hint a wee nerve

Tell you what, if I know nothing. Please tell me

1. What companies have Healy Rae brought to Kerry to help increase jobs?
    2. What new legislation have the Healy Rae brought to government to improve Kerry?
    3. What new legislation have the Healy Rae brought to government to improve Ireland?
    4. If not new, what existing have they asked to improve?

If I know f**k all, then I am open to understanding what they have done? those would be a couple of typical questions to ask a TD

You need to ask yourself why are you so concerned about these things that have nothing to do with you and why would you think I'd answer questions that you think would be typical questions to ask a TD.

How are Sheffield Wednesday getting on?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You'll pay your share if you're happy or sad about it Rows Grower ;)

How do you feel about Michael Healy Rae purchasing a property at an Allsop auction, having previously protested at a sale of distressed properties by the British company?

True, but I choose to be happy about it.

I have no qualms about what Mike did, it's well known that among other business interests he's a landlord and this article explains a bit about the situation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/michael-healy-rae-says-allsop-house-purchase-above-board-1.2571840

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have no qualms about what Mike did, it's well known that among other business interests he's a landlord and this article explains a bit about the situation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/michael-healy-rae-says-allsop-house-purchase-above-board-1.2571840

Oh, I'm aware of the situation and I'm aware it was legit and above board. I was just wondering if it's blind faith or does your moral compass sway the same way as "Mike's" does.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Oh, I'm aware of the situation and I'm aware it was legit and above board. I was just wondering if it's blind faith or does your moral compass sway the same way as "Mike's" does.

I like to think I'm one of the good guys John but I wouldn't compare my moral compass with anyone else's.

As for blind faith, if someone I admire does something I totally disagree with they just go down in my estimation and I'll let them know first chance I get.

I do find it hilarious, two posters now...both Healy Rae voters I would expect. One a patriot, maybe the other one is as well...who knows

Both seem to go round and round the merry go round.....

Why am I concerned? Well I pay taxes, lots of taxes. I would prefer to see them going towards special needs, homeless, childcare etc

Not some Gangsters that are robbing people blind and they pat him on the back for doing it

I do find it hilarious, two posters now...both Healy Rae voters I would expect. One a patriot, maybe the other one is as well...who knows

Both seem to go round and round the merry go round.....

Why am I concerned? Well I pay taxes, lots of taxes. I would prefer to see them going towards special needs, homeless, childcare etc

Not some Gangsters that are robbing people blind and they pat him on the back for doing it

I'm sensing if you lived in South Kerry you'd vote for someone else.

You do vote, yeah?

I think its now established:

a) Everyone has a different, personal view of what a TD should do.

b) There appears to be no official guidelines other than the document link I posted.

Demeaning talk of "2 posters now !" when HR is the most popular TD in the country among his electorate.

https://www.thejournal.ie/top-10-tds-votes-2632948-Feb2016/

The truth is, if you lived in Kerry, you most likely would vote HR (statistically), once you had personally witnessed the good work and met MHR. Before you jump in and say "I would never vote MHR", I am talking, mathematically, scientifically, statistically.

You should do the reading and the research to understand how he could be so popular, not ask us to.

So I dont ask many questions at all, but try this one.

The logical conclusion to your argument is that you think the majority of Kerry people are corrupt, stupid, etc etc... How else could MHR be so popular and support be so long lived ?

Is that your view ?

• Advertisement

The logical conclusion to your argument is that you think the majority of Kerry people are corrupt, stupid, etc etc... How else could MHR be so popular and support be so long lived ?

Is that your view ?

I never said majority of Kerry people are corrupt or stupid etc etc Please quote where I said that?

Advertisement