Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Healy Raes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

mikeym wrote: »
    The solicitor says one thing and they do another.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/1211/1098555-healy-rae-appeal/

Hard to believe they are appealing this and not just the sentence but the actual conviction itself. They were caught red handed on CCTV assaulting the lad, their defence was a pack of falsehoods dismissed by the judge and they didnt even have the balls to defend themselves in the witness box. Theres a real bang of them being unwilling to take responsibility for their actions in appealing it.It would be some laugh now if the Circuit Court ending up finding the sentence too lenient and gave them a bit of prison time to go away and reflect on their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Muahahaha wrote: »
    t would be some laugh now if the Circuit Court ending up finding the sentence too lenient and gave them a bit of prison time to go away and reflect on their actions.

Is that possible in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Igotadose wrote: »
    Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Doc07

Definitely.

Unfortunately not a chance.
    Far more likely their appeal will be successful.
    We just don’t do consequences for the elite in Ireland.
    And yes that’s also unfortunately not a mistake or typo, the HRs are the elite!

Yes, sentences can be increased on appeal. A recent one was the Kerry farmer who killed his neighbour with a teleporter. He initially got 5 years and the DPP appealed it and it was increased to 9 years. It doesnt happen all that often though, it usually takes some outrage in the media, by the victims family and by the public before the DPP realise a sentence is too lenient and to spend resources on an appeal.

Doc07 wrote: »
    Unfortunately not a chance.
    Far more likely their appeal will be successful.
    We just don’t do consequences for the elite in Ireland.
    And yes that’s also unfortunately not a mistake or typo, the HRs are the elite!

I could see his sentence getting dropped but its hard to see the actual conviction getting quashed given the CCTV evidence. Though this is Ireland, stranger things have happened. His legal team might be hoping to get a specific judge known for their leniency on the appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It will be some judge who needs a road done and they will get off

The people of Kerry will cheer, you can beat having a shower of scumbags walking around ready to batter people for no reason

It will be a great victory for the kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes, sentences can be increased on appeal. A recent one was the Kerry farmer who killed his neighbour with a teleporter. He initially got 5 years and the DPP appealed it and it was increased to 9 years. It doesnt happen all that often though, it usually takes some outrage in the media, by the victims family and by the public before the DPP realise a sentence is too lenient and to spend resources on an appeal.

I could see his sentence getting dropped but its hard to see the actual conviction getting quashed given the CCTV evidence. Though this is Ireland, stranger things have happened. His legal team might be hoping to get a specific judge known for their leniency on the appeal.

THey are appealing against the conviction not the sentence. Only the verdict can be changed. If they had appealed against the sentence then the sentence could have been increased or decreased. in the example you mentioned the DPP appealed against the sentence.

THey are appealing against the conviction not the sentence. Only the verdict can be changed. If they had appealed against the sentence then the sentence could have been increased or decreased. in the example you mentioned the DPP appealed against the sentence.

From RTE
    The men's solicitor, Padraig O’Connell, confirmed that appeals have been lodged against "both conviction and sentence" in all three cases.

Sentence follows conviction but what he is getting at is even if the conviction is upheld he wants their 7 and 8 month suspended sentences reduced. AFAIK no new arguments can be entered during an appeal, only arguments on points of law. So basically it will be a re-hashing of the evidence in the first trial with the same CCTV shown and likely their counsels same arguments that people in Ireland hate them :rolleyes:

From RTE

Sentence follows conviction but what he is getting at is even if the conviction is upheld he wants their 7 and 8 month suspended sentences reduced. AFAIK no new arguments can be entered during an appeal, only arguments on points of law. So basically it will be a re-hashing of the evidence in the first trial with the same CCTV shown and likely their counsels same arguments that people in Ireland hate them :rolleyes:

I dont see that quote in the link you provided. that link says
    Independent Councillor Jackie Healy-Rae and his brother Kevin are to appeal their convictions for assaulting a man in Kenmare, Co Kerry in 2017.

I dont think it is even possible to appeal against both sentence and conviction though i stand to be corrected on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

From RTE

So basically it will be a re-hashing of the evidence in the first trial with the same CCTV shown and likely their counsels same arguments that people in Ireland hate them :rolleyes:

So? Whats the relevance of that? It wasn't the people who handed down the sentence, after all.

• Advertisement

I dont see that quote in the link you provided.

The quote from the solicitor saying they are appealing both conviction and sentence is there, scroll down to the very last line of the article
    ilkhanid wrote: »
    So? Whats the relevance of that? It wasn't the people who handed down the sentence, after all.

Its of no relevance at all. Im just pointing out that as part of their defence they claimed that people in Ireland hate the Healy Rae family and somehow this is why they were arrested and charged. Their barristers defence of them was a crock of sh1te up against the CCTV and the fact they never took the stand to defend themselves says it all about their guilt here imo. They just dont want to take responsibility for their actions, hence the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Anyone else find it ironic, that the posts here ridiculing the defence of "A lot of people in Ireland hate our family name and prejudge" are happening in a thread that historically provides evidence for this defence ?

Just an ironic observation.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Anyone else find it ironic, that the posts here ridiculing the defence of "A lot of people in Ireland hate our family name and prejudge" are happening in a thread that historically provides evidence for this defence ?

Just an ironic observation.

No irony at all. They were caught on CCTV. If they were not caught on CCTV then who they were might have helped them get off.

No irony at all. They were caught on CCTV. If they were not caught on CCTV then who they were might have helped them get off.

CCTV has nothing to do with the observation.

It was just an observation of irony, you have a one track mind.

There are lots of posts on this thread in relation to "A TD represents their constituents on national matters". Posters on this thread put the HRs down because they help constituents with both national AND local matters.

Just to further my education can anyone point me to any reputable source on information that says a TD is elected only to represent constituents on national matters ?

Every government website or constituent information website I can find says the opposite. All sources that I can find says a TDs role is to help their constituents with local matters, as well as representing them on the national stage.

Has this myth evolved because no other TDs help at a local level ?

Before I am attacked because I live in Kerry (mudsavage) and dont hate the HRs can someone point me to official source online information that says TDs role should NOT be to help constituents at a local level ? Happy to be educated, I thought it would be easy to find as it seems common knowledge on here, but I can't find anything. I have even been on most of the TDs websites, and without exception they all boast about local achievements ?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

About time somebody said it!

There are lots of posts on this thread in relation to "A TD represents their constituents on national matters". Posters on this thread put the HRs down because they help constituents with both national AND local matters.

Just too further my education can anyone point me to any reputable source on information that says a TD is elected only to represent constituents on national matters ?

Every government website or constituent information website I can find say the opposite. All sources that I can find says a TDs role is to help their constituents with local matters, as well as representing them on the national stage.

Has this myth evolved because no other TDs help at a local level ?

Before I am attacked because I live in Kerry (mudsavage) and dont hate the HRs can someone point me to official source online information that says TDs role should NOT be to help constituents at a local level ? Happy to be educated, I thought it would be easy to find as it seems common knowledge on here, but I can't find anything. I have even been on most of the TDs websites, and without exception they all boast about local achievements ?

Small problem is they are screwing every tax payer in the country including the Kerry people. How many people at the moment have they on "staff"? quick look https://www.thesun.ie/news/1368375/the-healy-raes-have-eight-of-the-clan-now-on-the-public-payroll-in-political-jobs-as-kerry-dynasty-rake-in-e485k-from-taxpayers/

They submitted mileage claims and both of them had the exact same costs. Not a bit strange? plenty more mistakes on expenses over the years

They build roads but they do it with their own road company, which took in only 8.7 million

One of them owned a pub which they failed to declare(for tax purposed of course)

The county council is in their back pocket, most of them more Healy Rae, this sort of sh*t going on: https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/kerry-co-council-agrees-to-quash-planning-permission-granted-to-healy-rae-company-927782.html

If you search their is plenty more available, I bet a whole lot more going on nobody knows about

This is tax money, the money taken out of your wages. I am guessing you work. Do you not have a problem with them ripping you off?

So maybe could you please explain to me why anyone would vote for these people?

You not think it is odd the family are in every government section in Kerry?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Small problem is they are screwing every tax payer in the country including the Kerry people. How many people at the moment have they on "staff"? quick look https://www.thesun.ie/news/1368375/the-healy-raes-have-eight-of-the-clan-now-on-the-public-payroll-in-political-jobs-as-kerry-dynasty-rake-in-e485k-from-taxpayers/

They submitted mileage claims and both of them had the exact same costs. Not a bit strange? plenty more mistakes on expenses over the years

They build roads but they do it with their own road company, which took in only 8.7 million

One of them owned a pub which they failed to declare(for tax purposed of course)

The county council is in their back pocket, most of them more Healy Rae, this sort of sh*t going on: https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/kerry-co-council-agrees-to-quash-planning-permission-granted-to-healy-rae-company-927782.html

If you search their is plenty more available, I bet a whole lot more going on nobody knows about

This is tax money, the money taken out of your wages. I am guessing you work. Do you not have a problem with them ripping you off?

So maybe could you please explain to me why anyone would vote for these people?

You not think it is odd the family are in every government section in Kerry?

None of this has anything to do with the question I asked ?

If you are going to reply to my post, please try and answer my query, its genuine. Ignoring a question, and just posing a load of other questions is more suited to the 911 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Ivan Yates show done a bit of a recap last week and it showed MHR praising John Delaney and how he would always be welcome down in kerry no matter what he has done. What a gob****e. Even Delaney looked embarrassed for him and that says a lot.

None of this has anything to do with the question I asked ?

If you are going to reply to my post, please try and answer my query, its genuine. Ignoring a question, and just posing a load of other questions is more suited to the 911 thread.

You asked the question is the TD supposed to help at a local level

I have pointed out the TD you are talking about is not helping at all but just lining his own pockets. If you want to ignore this then that is your decision.

Personally my local TD/Councillors help in the local area. Yes they even fixed the road, currently my estate has just been taken over by the county council and roads all upgraded/footpaths etc. We had issues with traffic around school etc, phone call in and they came down to help get a resolution

All of this was done by sticking to the system to protect my tax money, external contractors, tender system etc

If you think the only way a local TD/councillor can help in his/her constitution is by robbing the tax payer and lining their own pockets then nothing I can say or anyone on this thread which will change your mind

It might be worthwhile reviewing how the local government is supposed to work.

• Advertisement

Ivan Yates show done a bit of a recap last week and it showed MHR praising John Delaney and how he would always be welcome down in kerry no matter what he has done. What a gob****e. Even Delaney looked embarrassed for him and that says a lot.

I would expect MHR would still welcome him down. Two crooks laughing at the tax payers!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I have pointed out the TD you are talking about is not helping at all but just lining his own pockets. If you want to ignore this then that is your decision.

Personally my local TD/Councillors help in the local area. Yes they even fixed the road, currently my estate has just been taken over by the county council and roads all upgraded/footpaths etc. We had issues with traffic around school etc, phone call in and they came down to help get a resolution

All of this was done by sticking to the system to protect my tax money, external contractors, tender system etc

If you think the only way a local TD/councillor can help in his/her constitution is by robbing the tax payer and lining their own pockets then nothing I can say or anyone on this thread which will change your mind

It might be worthwhile reviewing how the local government is supposed to work.

LOL

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I am not going to do your work for you, read the thread there are lots of examples.

(Will take about 1 hour to get up to date).

I must correct you on your previous assumption, no I don't work at present.

I am not going to do your work for you, read the thread there are lots of examples.

(Will take about 1 hour to get up to date).

I must correct you on your previous assumption, no I don't work at present.

Will leave you to it so....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Every government website or constituent information website I can find says the opposite. All sources that I can find says a TDs role is to help their constituents with local matters

No. That's a Citizen's Advice Bureau. Or, these days, google.

Seriously.

We elect people to the national legislature to legislate for the country; and local councillors to administer the local county.

Why is that so hard to understand?

OK, grand, if thats what you want to do, if you ever want to back up any of your statements do pop back.

I am retired, paid a FULL lifetime of taxes.

OK, grand, if thats what you want to do, if you ever want to back up any of your statements do pop back.

I am retired, paid a FULL lifetime of taxes.

I already provided links to paper and news releases etc

All you have done is ignored them, you vote for these people but seem to have no idea what they Are supposed to do

Maybe research before you vote the next time....figure out what the local councillor does and your TD....both of them are not supposed to “fix the roads”

No. That's a Citizen's Advice Bureau. Or, these days, google.

Seriously.

We elect people to the national legislature to legislate for the country; and local councillors to administer the local county.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Because the gov websites says they work on local matters as well.

Media agrees too:

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-what-a-week-in-the-life-of-a-backbench-td-looks-like-850455-Mar2013/

As you say info websites say local work.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/national_government/houses_of_the_oireachtas/work_of_a_td.html

As far as I can see its only on this thread that its obvious, do you understand why that is confusing ? Only seems to be a point when criticizing the HRs.

All you have done is ignored them, you vote for these people but seem to have no idea what they Are supposed to do

Ohh come on, thats the original question I asked ??????

I asked where I can find something detailing a TDs role, your replied with your meaningless questions, and now you say I do not understand the role of a TD !!!

You must be on a wind up ?

• Advertisement

Ohh come on, thats the original question I asked ??????

I asked where I can find something detailing a TDs role, your replied with your meaningless questions, and now you say I do not understand the role of a TD !!!

You must be on a wind up ?

Sorry but I think your on a wind up

You link and it’s clear

A typical day's work includes researching and preparing speeches for debates on social, economic, financial and budgetary issues. Debates in the Dáil are chaired by the Ceann Comhairle. View the official reports of all Dáil debates from 1919.

If you have no idea what the TD does versus a councillor why don’t you ask them? A councillor is to fix the roads.

A TD is supposed to look at things from a national level, look at legislation and how it would affect his constituents m, then provide that information back....so local vote coming up on XYZ, he/she should be holding meeting to explain the vote, what it means and potentially which option he/she thinks is best for the people

Advertisement