Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Healy Raes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Mrsmum wrote: »
    A form of triage, Healy Rea style.
    It would be fairly naïve to believe, outside of the HRs, everyone else waits their turn in life.

In the queue at the airport, at the post office, in the traffic jam, yes people do wait their turn.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Oh they're grand lads, only thinking of the best for others.

Like if you were an electric car owner in Kerry, or a prospective one. Surely the HRs would campaign for more EV charge points, both to encourage locals to make the switch, and to encourage tourism from ev owners around the country?

Nope, they actively campaign against electric cars, spouting nonsense that they 100% know to be completely untrue like:
    *ah sure you can't drive an electric car in the rain.
    *you have to replace the batteries every 2 years and it costs €7k a time.

Now what possible reason could the petrol station owning HRs have to discourage electric vehicles? I just don't understand...

They have the good of the country at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

People slagging off the HR's on here are doing so based on the medias description of them or their own assumptions.

People defending/praising them are doing so based on knowledge of what the Healy Raes are really like.

I mentioned my new 500m drive earlier, there was nothing dishonest, I paid 10% the rest was covered by a Rural development incentive scheme, but MHR helped throughout, invaluably. Yes it was MHR trucks and plant that did the job, so what, he has a number of Kerry business interests and they do a great job.

If every county had a Healy Rae, then all counties would benefit and the whole country and the people would be better off. I hear so many people talk about how fed up they are with political correctness, the Healy Rae commonsense approach is as good as it gets.

SlowBlowin wrote: »

I mentioned my new 500m drive earlier, there was nothing dishonest, I paid 10% the rest was covered by a Rural development incentive scheme, but MHR helped throughout, invaluably. Yes it was MHR trucks and plant that did the job, so what, he has a number of Kerry business interests and they do a great job.

Was that a 500 meter privately owned drive between the public road and your dwelling?

janfebmar wrote: »
    Was that a 500 meter privately owned drive between the public road and your dwelling?
    The drive is not on my land, its my neighbours land, but it is the road to my place only and I have access rights. I am the main user, so I paid the 10%. It was just a track before. Why ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

In the queue at the airport, at the post office, in the traffic jam, yes people do wait their turn.

You do understand the word triage don't you ? It applies in a medical sense
    People in traffic jams and post office are not subject to triage . Triage means those in greatest medical need will be placed in the list accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

People slagging off the HR's on here are doing so based on the medias description of them or their own assumptions.
    Nope. I'm slagging them based on their own deliberate lies to mislead the public.

Nope. I'm slagging them based on their own deliberate lies to mislead the public.

I take it they are lies because you disagree with them, or were they just giving their personal opinion ?

The drive is not on my land, its my neighbours land, but it is the road to my place only and I have access rights. I am the main user, so I paid the 10%. It was just a track before. Why ?

Something not quite right when the taxpayer pays 90% of a driveway to a house across privately owned land. And the politician who helps get the grant is the one who decides how much it will all cost, and who owns the company who even does the work.

Something not quite right when the taxpayer pays 90% of a driveway to a house across privately owned land. And the politician who helps get the grant is the one who decides how much it will all cost, and who owns the company who even does the work.
    Its a national scheme, nothing to do with local politics.. Fixed cost per m2. Could get other plant in to do the job I guess, but would come from further away, more expensive, pollution etc etc... No scandal here...

• Advertisement

I take it they are lies because you disagree with them, or were they just giving their personal opinion ?

They weren't giving opinions. They were stating "facts".

And they weren't lies because I disagree, they were lies because they are demonstrably untrue.

They claimed in the past that electric cars cannot be driven in the rain. That is not true. Nor have I ever even heard it suggested by anyone other than the HRs so its not like they were even just repeating what they heard.

On TV the other night one of them stated that electric cars need a full battery replacement every 2 years, at a cost of €7k each time. Again completely untrue and not even close to reality. EV batteries (barring a fault or failure which is exceptionally rare) are expected to last around 20 years in a car, after which they can be recycled for use as home storage. Plus the current cost of a battery is around €4-5k.

Why do you suggest they keep making such outlandish and ridiculous claims about EVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I asked one of the Rae's about this scheme for the funding of improvement works to private roads as my own was in need of repair work and qualified. (there is certain strict criteria that makes a case eligible or not).
    I was given a number to contact in K.C.C. but was forewarned that there is a waiting list for this scheme that goes back about ten years and that the people who had their names down already would have priority to the funds that have only recently again become available and in fact there is not enough funds there to cover the applications that are on file since the last recession.
    This is what I like about the Healy Raes, if they can help you they will, but they do not give false hope or promises. I put my name down on the list in the hope more funds will become available again in future.
    Before the local elections I was canvased by several different parties and two independents. Only one canvasser mentioned the scheme, he was looking for me and mine to vote Fine Gael. I asked was their a realistic chance of the road being done soon and was told I'd have the forms in the tomorrows post (which by some miracle I had) and once I and the other person who uses the road filled them out and sent them in the job would be done in the near future. The application form clearly stated that the closing date for applications was well passed (27th April 2018) and any applications received after this date would not be considered.
    The Fine Gael lad wasn't elected but before any votes were even cast I bought twenty tonne of 804 and fixed the road myself which hopefully should be fine for a few years at least.
    Also I will add even though it should be obvious, the Healy Raes only get these jobs from K.C.C. if they successfully outbid the other engineering companies who tender for the contracts.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

And they weren't lies because I disagree, they were lies because they are demonstrably untrue.

They claimed in the past that electric cars cannot be driven in the rain. That is not true. Nor have I ever even heard it suggested by anyone other than the HRs so its not like they were even just repeating what they heard.

On TV the other night one of them stated that electric cars need a full battery replacement every 2 years, at a cost of €7k each time. Again completely untrue and not even close to reality. EV batteries (barring a fault or failure which is exceptionally rare) are expected to last around 20 years in a car, after which they can be recycled for use as home storage. Plus the current cost of a battery is around €4-5k.

Why do you suggest they keep making such outlandish and ridiculous claims about EVs?

I think the battery thing stems from the Nissan Leaf Mk1, of which there were a few locally. After a few years the batteries deteriorated really badly in all of them and cost 7K to replace. Its based to peoples PAST bad experience locally.

I saw Danny HR in the village the other day, he was 100m from a IE car charger, and 300m from the village Tesla charger, not bad for a small Kerry Village.

I live off grid (4500Ah of battery storage), and although I have an electric bike, I have a diesel car. I am a Tesla fan, but there is not an electric car available that suits me here so I decided to wait for a year or two. As the HRs are farmers, and they represent a lot of farmers, their views are consistent with a lot of the farmers locally, who realise there is no way they can remove diesel from their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

The Healy Reas should be called The Realy Hays

• Registered Users Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Here's a picture of Danny and Johnny taken two years ago where they were promoting the use of electric vehicles, Danny drove one from Sneem to Caherdaniel and had nothing but good things to say about them.
    https://scontent-dub4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20233114_251462828691420_2266669063414034454_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f5fb7ee9330782471feacb2ed95391fa&oe=5D8769BE

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I asked one of the Rae's about this scheme for the funding of improvement works to private roads as my own was in need of repair work and qualified. (there is certain strict criteria that makes a case eligible or not).
    I was given a number to contact in K.C.C. but was forewarned that there is a waiting list for this scheme that goes back about ten years and that the people who had their names down already would have priority to the funds that have only recently again become available and in fact there is not enough funds there to cover the applications that are on file since the last recession.
    This is what I like about the Healy Raes, if they can help you they will, but they do not give false hope or promises. I put my name down on the list in the hope more funds will become available again in future.
    Before the local elections I was canvased by several different parties and two independents. Only one canvasser mentioned the scheme, he was looking for me and mine to vote Fine Gael. I asked was their a realistic chance of the road being done soon and was told I'd have the forms in the tomorrows post (which by some miracle I had) and once I and the other person who uses the road filled them out and sent them in the job would be done in the near future. The application form clearly stated that the closing date for applications was well passed (27th April 2018) and any applications received after this date would not be considered.
    The Fine Gael lad wasn't elected but before any votes were even cast I bought twenty tonne of 804 and fixed the road myself which hopefully should be fine for a few years at least.
    Also I will add even though it should be obvious, the Healy Raes only get these jobs from K.C.C. if they successfully outbid the other engineering companies who tender for the contracts.

Yes, its was MHR who suggested getting on the list, must be nearly 10 years ago. When the funds became available last year, I got a note from MHR explaining it might actually happen. Then a week later I got a note with a rough date, and a full explanation of what to do. All went as planned and I have a nice road.

One canvasser to me made comment about the road, and tried to get some credit for it !

As you say the HRs just help and work for the people.

Its a national scheme, nothing to do with local politics.. Fixed cost per m2. Could get other plant in to do the job I guess, but would come from further away, more expensive, pollution etc etc... No scandal here...

Tarmac and groundworks are never fixed price per sq m.
    It does not matter if the quote is a bit dearer if it's local lads who are employed, if getting a further away cheaper contractor means more pollution etc.

I think the battery thing stems from the Nissan Leaf Mk1, of which there were a few locally. After a few years the batteries deteriorated really badly in all of them and cost 7K to replace. Its based to peoples PAST bad experience locally.

Again I'm not stating opinion here, I'm stating facts.

What you are saying about early Leafs needing widespread battery replacements is simply NOT TRUE.

The early Leaf and even later versions did suffer some battery degradation, but I have yet to hear of any Irish drivers suffering it so severely that they needed a new battery.

Even if they had, the early Leaf had a 5 year 100k km warranty on the battery so a replacement would have been free. Besides Mr HR claims that they need replaced EVERY 2 years, not just that some have needed to replace before (untrue anyway) but that you replace after 2 years and again 2 years after that!

And if it was past that year/100km warranty (meaning it would have happened in the last 2 years) the cost would have been €5k at most.

So you're either horribly misinformed, or you're as bad as the HRs and are just spoofing false information as fact.

Again the above is not guesswork or just my opinion, its fact.

Tarmac and groundworks are never fixed price per sq m.
    It does not matter if the quote is a bit dearer if it's local lads who are employed, if getting a further away cheaper contractor means more pollution etc.

I don't know much about Tarmac/roads, but they based the price on the length of the driveway. The price was then adjusted following a site visit, drainage requirements etc...

Here's a picture of Danny and Johnny taken two years ago where they were promoting the use of electric vehicles, Danny drove one from Sneem to Caherdaniel and had nothing but good things to say about them.
    https://scontent-dub4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20233114_251462828691420_2266669063414034454_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f5fb7ee9330782471feacb2ed95391fa&oe=5D8769BE

The HRs weren't promoting them. Randles Nissan challenged him to drive from Sneem to Caherdaniel and back to disprove his claims that they couldn't handle the trip.

That was in 2017. In 2018 he made the claim that they were useless because "one drop" of water from a puddle would take them off the road.

• Advertisement

Again I'm not stating opinion here, I'm stating facts.

What you are saying about early Leafs needing widespread battery replacements is simply NOT TRUE.

The early Leaf and even later versions did suffer some battery degradation, but I have yet to hear of any Irish drivers needing a new battery.

Even if they had, the early Leaf had a 5 year 100k km warranty on the battery so a replacement would have been free. Besides Mr HR claims that they need replaced EVERY 2 years, not just that some have needed to replace before (untrue anyway) but that you replace after 2 years and again 2 years after that!

And if it was past that year/100km warranty (meaning it would have happened in the last 2 years) the cost would have been €5k at most.

So you're either horribly misinformed, or you're as bad as the HRs and are just spoofing false information as fact.

Again the above is not guesswork or opinion, its fact.

I said they all suffered battery degradation, and cost 7K to replace, you got it wrong I never said they failed (read my post). I was addressing your 2 points.

If you think I am wrong go to the Nissan website and look at the press releases on degradation problems, it will really help you or read this: https://insideevs.com/news/337439/nissan-issues-statement-on-leaf-30-kwh-battery-degradation/

The cars were mainly sold as they could no longer reach the next village (battery not failed, just no longer of any use). You started off saying they all lasted 20 years, yet early adopters of the Leaf had range issues after the first two years .

This is a thread about the HRs, not battery technology, you said HRs were telling lies, I just explained how possibly early experiences with technology can leave a bad taste.

Heres a nice article on the early Nissan battery problems:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/29/nissans-long-strange-trip-with-leaf-batteries/

Good to know I am not miss informed.

Remember I was just saying it was not always the 20 year usable battery life you mention.

Honestly I was expecting an attack on the fairy angle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/29/nissans-long-strange-trip-with-leaf-batteries/

Remember I was just saying it was not always the 20 year usable battery life you mention.

You were if someone told you this is the place to discuss Nissan Battery problems.

I said they all suffered battery degradation, and cost 7K to replace, you got it wrong I never said they failed (read my post). I was addressing your 2 points.

I didn't say they failed either. I'm saying that the only reason they would need to be replaced was if they had suffered a fault/failed. Standard degradation would not result in a battery replacement being required.

If you think I am wrong go to the Nissan website and look at the press releases on degradation problems, it will really help you or read this: https://insideevs.com/news/337439/nissan-issues-statement-on-leaf-30-kwh-battery-degradation/
    The press release you refer to is regarding the 30kwh Leaf, (Mk 3 basically). The outcome that followed that press release was that Nissan issued a software update which corrected the false readings that were resulting in that apparently high degradation.

In short, that link neither proves excessive degradation, nor is it anything to do with the early Leafs (24Wh model) that you have previously referred to.

You might do well to read the article and it's follow ups rather than just doing a google search for "Leaf battery degradation" and thinking you've hit the jackpot.

The cars were mainly sold as they could no longer reach the next village (battery not failed, just no longer of any use). You started off saying they all lasted 20 years, yet early adopters of the Leaf had range issues after the first two years.
    Early adopters had no such issues. The average early reg Nissan Leaf would (even if unlucky) have suffered 10% loss of range in 2 years. If a 10% loss makes the car unusable then it was never suitable in the first place.

This is a thread about the HRs, not battery technology, you said HRs were telling lies, I just explained how possibly early experiences with technology can leave a bad taste.
    You made some inaccurate statements that (even if true) would suggest that Nissan Leafs 7-8 years ago had unreliable and expensive batteries. That has no bearing on the HRs making claims in 2018/2019 that all EVs need a €7k battery replacement EVERY 2 years.

That statement is clearly untrue and anyone who thinks that the HRs don't know it's untrue is deluded.

Jeez, you're digging your own grave...

From your favourite article:
    While this new lizard battery was still having faster degradation than other car batteries in the semi-deserts of Texas and Arizona, in most of the rest of the world, the problem was gone.

The only places where the early Leaf suffered excessive issues was in desert climates where they were regularly used in 40 degree heat nearly year round.

Explain to me again how this explains how mass battery degradation was happening in Kerry? LOL

You really need to get on that 911 thread, no need to acknowledge facts there.

Back to Healy Raes are great for the people of Kerry !

You really need to get on that 911 thread, no need to acknowledge facts there.

Back to Healy Raes are great for the people of Kerry !

I've given you a long list of facts.

You have given nothing but spoof and nonsense, and some rushed google searches that undermine your claim rather than support them.

At least the HRs know they're talking nonsense but go ahead with it anyway for the soundbite.

Start a thread on battery degradation.

This is a HR thread.

This is a HR thread.

Why would I?

I've stayed entirely on topic by pointing out that the HRs lied repeatedly in their claims about electric cars.

You are the one who has gone off topic and tried to justify the HRs by making silly claims about battery degradation that you have completely failed to back up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The Healy Raes have a fuel garage so all they are looking after is themselves to make sure they keep selling diesel/petrol.

Some people might call them idiots, in reality they are clever but they think everyone else is idiots. Why would you believe something they say when it is clearly incorrect?

From your own link.

These LEAF batteries are adequate for temperate zones like Western Europe, Japan, and some parts of the USA, like New England, but they are not fit for regions with extreme heat or cold and the lack of a TMS

Has Kerry moved from Europe and Ireland?

Advertisement