Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Healy Raes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

DeanAustin wrote: »
    The certainly are. But the system allows candidates like that to be successful, they’re just exploiting that.

They’re also far from stupid. They may sound dumb, make stupid comments but they are very very clever in how they present themselves and in how they operate.

They are indeed very clever but their a toxic influence on the body politic

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

riemann wrote: »
    Surely a walking argument against democracy?

I don't think I've ever heard any of them say anything that displayed any kind of education or knowledge on a subject.

The amount of air time they get is scandalous.

Well it's clearly democracy in action, hardly an argument against it seeing as the people 'demos' vote for them.
    Anyone who thinks the Healy-Raes are backward oikes are easily fooled.

And those criticising their accent? If they spoke with a more contemporary, neutral accent would that make them more acceptable or intelligent sounding?!

Their constituents voted for them and they are hard workers - they're not all talk anyway, which is why they are always elected. We don't have to agree with everything they say or do but you can't fault their work ethic and they are not mouthy, useless ideologues like a lot of chancers in politics. Sure, they probably do get contracts and business from their political positions but most public and private contracts are probably won through networks and personal relationships anyway like it or not.

I understand from friends from Kerry that the Healy-Rae parents separated at an early age. Their mother was a multi linguist, educated and accomplished woman and they had a culturally rich upbringing, despite what people might think just judging them on their accents and clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Noveight wrote: »
    Was talking to a Kerry-man on a night out recently. Wasn’t a fan of them, said they “only ever looked out for their own.”

Divisive characters in their own county, evidently.

As I said, others move down waiting lists when Healy Raes and that ilk move "their own" up the waiting lists. No wonder some people are waiting years for hospital treatment...despite our spending on the HSE being amongst the highest healthcare spend per capita in the entire world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

janfebmar wrote: »
    Why bring up Leo so? At least unlike Leo and the Healy Raes, Gay Byrne back in the day when he was without doubt Ireland's leading broadcaster and chat show host and media person, could talk to people from around the world in a clear and understandable way, and did not embarrass us.

Why bring up Gay Byrne? Someone mentioned Leo and unless you are living with your head in the sand you wouldn't have to be a genius to figure out that Leo is a clown. I just provided proof of that, no need to get your knickers in a twist over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    So which one are you implying was drunk?

Your friend.

• Advertisement

Your friend.

Sorry to disappoint you but she is a teetotaler.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sorry to disappoint you but she is a teetotaler.

Yeah, of course she is.

I believe your story now.

Leo is more interested in the latest girl band instead of running the country, pure waste of space. BTW the eejit went to the spice girls, I know a woman that got a free ticket to the corporate box and she was alone at the bar with Leo so she decided to strike up a conversation with him and the bloody fool couldn't even hold a conversation.

Alone at the bar with Leo? I do not dispute the story, but was there not a Garda minder with the Taoiseach or not too far away?

Alone at the bar with Leo? I do not dispute the story, but was there not a Garda minder with the Taoiseach or not too far away?
    Nope, unless in the background and I'm sure they knew that he was in no danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Have you ever had a someone who had consumed a bit too much liquid refreshment try to engage in conversation when at a bar or waiting for a taxi or whatever?

In such situations, the best thing to say is often nothing at all.

Or just not wanted to talk to someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

WAW wrote: »
    Well it's clearly democracy in action, hardly an argument against it seeing as the people 'demos' vote for them.
    Anyone who thinks the Healy-Raes are backward oikes are easily fooled.

And those criticising their accent? If they spoke with a more contemporary, neutral accent would that make them more acceptable or intelligent sounding?!

Their constituents voted for them and they are hard workers - they're not all talk anyway, which is why they are always elected. We don't have to agree with everything they say or do but you can't fault their work ethic and they are not mouthy, useless ideologues like a lot of chancers in politics. Sure, they probably do get contracts and business from their political positions but most public and private contracts are probably won through networks and personal relationships anyway like it or not.

I understand from friends from Kerry that the Healy-Rae parents separated at an early age. Their mother was a multi linguist, educated and accomplished woman and they had a culturally rich upbringing, despite what people might think just judging them on their accents and clothes.

Pity she didn't pass it on.
    It's the global warming can't be real because of Noah's flood and farmers should be allowed drink drive, that makes them sound like idiots rather than their accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Grayson wrote: »
    Pity she didn't pass it on.
    It's the global warming can't be real because of Noah's flood and farmers should be allowed drink drive, that makes them sound like idiots rather than their accent.

It's one thing sounding like an idiot, quite another if you're a Dub politician with a posh accent and you ARE a fückin idiot.
    The HRs are on the take, so what? At least their constituents get value from them which is more than can be said for their well-spoken counterparts, usually teachers or ex-legal types on a career break to play politics, the kind that wouldn't be seen dead interacting with the people who voted them in. No, they're too good for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I wouldn't be surprised if there's 3 Healy Rae Tds after next election.
    My best guess is Maura as she has highest profile.
    The question is if it's Brassil or Ferris who will lose his seat.
    Griffin is presumably safe since he's a minister.

Also for anyone who thinks they're idiots, their sister Rosemary came top of her class in Kings Inn whilst qualifying as a barrister.
    She was awarded the John Brooke Scholarship, the highest award at the Bar.
    She achieved this while working full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I wouldn't be surprised if there's 3 Healy Rae Tds after next election.
    My best guess is Maura as she has highest profile.
    The question is if it's Brassil or Ferris who will lose his seat.
    Griffin is presumably safe since he's a minister.

They might play the slightly longer game.
    Replace Danny with Johnny this time.
    Run Maura next time.

They might play the slightly longer game.
    Replace Danny with Johnny this time.
    Run Maura next time.

That's assuming Danny is perceived as a liability which I'm not sure of.
    Michael had a sizable surplus in last election and people said half jokingly that they should've ran a 3rd Healy Rae.
    I'm sure they know exactly the lay of the land and which TD is most vulnerable and how to exploit it.
    Maybe Ferris is most vulnerable as he's an independent and at retirement age, but his stronghold is north Kerry where the Healy Rae's don't have a huge presence.

It's funny that in 2015 a leaked FG document described MHR as "unbeatable electorally" and his popularity has only grown since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Martin isn't running next time, his daughter is. The FF vote was strong this year so they should get one. FG should get one even though Brendan Griffin's right hand man lost a seat (so did John Brassil's). So you would think no change. One point is that there was always two labour seats in Kerry (when the old north south was there), if labour could find a decent candidate they might give someone a fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,070 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Noveight wrote: »
    Was talking to a Kerry-man on a night out recently. Wasn’t a fan of them, said they “only ever looked out for their own.”

Divisive characters in their own county, evidently.

Don't think that's any surprise to anyone. They have proven that numerous times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'm from Kerry myself and everyone I've talked to about the Healy Raes have nothing but positive things to say ....if you have any problems go to the Healy Raes and they'll sort it or try at least ...

I'm not a fan ....one of them is trying to stop the cycle way so I put them on the bottom of my voting card last week.

We have other councillors in Kerry who are absolutly useless so I suppose it's hard to knock them for effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm not a fan ....one of them is trying to stop the cycle way so I put them on the bottom of my voting card last week.

That would put them top of other people's lists, ie farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭lalababa

Was looking forward to a national government after the last general election when FF & FF were pussyfooting around each other. There were backroom talks with all the independants and was actually hoping MHR would get a ministry, or one of the new ministries such as rural Ireland one. Would like to see him in some ministry capacity in the future. Alot of commentary on politicians is on a very personal/character based footing and NOT on policy /track record which is something we'll have to get over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

As I said, others move down waiting lists when Healy Raes and that ilk move "their own" up the waiting lists. No wonder some people are waiting years for hospital treatment...despite our spending on the HSE being amongst the highest healthcare spend per capita in the entire world.

As I explained earlier, the Healy Rae's get the people they canvass for placed in their proper place on the list due to bureaucracy delaying them being placed in that position. If others are moved down the list because of that placement then they, too, are now in their proper position on the list.

The methodology used in placing people on lists are agreed and fixed in place to minimise any underhand placement of people on lists by politicians or bureaucrats favouring any applicants unduly.

If you have any proof to the contrary, then feel free to publicise those underhand (your inference) methods and let it be judged in the public domain.

Martin isn't running next time, his daughter is. The FF vote was strong this year so they should get one. FG should get one even though Brendan Griffin's right hand man lost a seat (so did John Brassil's). So you would think no change. One point is that there was always two labour seats in Kerry (when the old north south was there), if labour could find a decent candidate they might give someone a fright.

It's interesting to see if they run a 3rd Healy Rae but take the risk of splitting the vote.
    It's unusual in politics because they're like their own little party. Michael is hugely popular, Danny less so but the general attitude is that 2 Healy Rae's are better than 1.
    So would people change their vote from Ferris and FF because 3 Healy Rae's is better again

Remember this map. They might produce another with the county split in 3

I'm from Kerry myself and everyone I've talked to about the Healy Raes have nothing but positive things to say ....if you have any problems go to the Healy Raes and they'll sort it or try at least ...

We have other councillors in Kerry who are absolutly useless so I suppose it's hard to knock them for effort.

Is that Johnny?
    I don't understand the opposition to the cycle way. It seems win win for everyone.

As I explained earlier, the Healy Rae's get the people they canvass for placed in their proper place on the list due to bureaucracy delaying them being placed in that position. If others are moved down the list because of that placement then they, too, are now in their proper position on the list.

B.S. If you get a politician to see what he can do you for, and you have been on a waiting list for many many months, and then within a few days you appear suddenly at the top of the waiting list, that is nod and wink politics. It is why some waiting lists are years long for some people.

As they say, its not what you know, it is who you know.

B.S. If you get a politician to see what he can do you for, and you have been on a waiting list for many many months, and then within a few days you appear suddenly at the top of the waiting list, that is nod and wink politics. It is why some waiting lists are years long for some people.

That's your opinion and one you're entitled to have, wrong as it is.

I can only comment about people known by be who have been helped by the Healy Rae's where they were kept off the list or placed further down the list than their case warranted by virtue of difficulties they had in ensuring that relevant facts were presented in support of their case.

Again, if you have proof of underhand dealings to move people further up hospital and housing lists, fire them out there so we can all take a look at them. It's very easy to fire out accusations with an anonymous account about what others are doing.

So if you're convinced your interpretation is correct, throw up the details and show everybody that's the case.

I can only comment about people known by be who have been helped by the Healy Rae's where they were kept off the list or placed further down the list than their case warranted by virtue of difficulties they had in ensuring that relevant facts were presented in support of their case.

lol. "people kept off the list"....so you mainly only help people kept off the list? Put them on the waiting list like, and shorten it for them, like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Oh they're grand lads, only thinking of the best for others.

Like if you were an electric car owner in Kerry, or a prospective one. Surely the HRs would campaign for more EV charge points, both to encourage locals to make the switch, and to encourage tourism from ev owners around the country?

Nope, they actively campaign against electric cars, spouting nonsense that they 100% know to be completely untrue like:
    *ah sure you can't drive an electric car in the rain.
    *you have to replace the batteries every 2 years and it costs €7k a time.

Now what possible reason could the petrol station owning HRs have to discourage electric vehicles? I just don't understand...

lol. "people kept off the list"....so you mainly only help people kept off the list? Put them on the waiting list like, and shorten it for them, like?

Ah, OK, deflection.

Good man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

A form of triage, Healy Rea style.
    It would be fairly naïve to believe, outside of the HRs, everyone else waits their turn in life. Other people use other forms of getting attended to eg some people throw money at it to get their issue seen to pronto and then there are those who scream loudest. Ask any customer care centre who gets their issue resolved first, strictly in line as the calls come in or the caller who raised blue murder. And then there is the Joe Duffy route to instant attention.

Advertisement