Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sopranos best jokes

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Artie Bucco's entire run on The Sopranos is funny to me. Like the time he tried to act like a mobster by going to that French guys apartment to get his money back and ended up getting his as a*se kicked by the guy, and then the final scene when the French guy opens the door and Furio is standing there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Greyfox wrote: »
    I think the wire is in the top 5 tv shows ever made and 100 times better than the overratted sopranos. Game of thrones is the best written show in existence and has far more depth, complexity and epic scale than any other show. Breaking bad is the only show that can match GOT for surprises and complex characterisation. The wire is the most accurate and realistic show ever made, it will never be matched in accuracy and How true to life it is.. The wire though is only 8.5/10 in terms of exciting to watch, it doesn't have any holy F*** moments which GOT and bbad are famous for

Having read the books first, I don’t rate GOT anywhere near the top 5. They’ve mangled the source material.

Breaking Bad is probably third on my list, but it does drag in parts. Some really outstanding episodes though.

The Sopranos has everything. Humour, tragedy, phenomenal acting, great soundtrack and probably the best cinematography of any TV show ever made.

Actually, not probably, by far the best cinematography of any TV show ever. Watch the seen where Jerry the hair is killed in front of Sil.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Livia Soprano: "They sent you to a psychiatrist? But that's crazy. That's all nonsense. That's nothing but a racket for the Jews!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Reminds me of great line from Hesh to Massive Genius.

"My people were the white man’s ****** when yours were still painting their faces and chasing zebras"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

People only compare The Wire and The Sopranos because they're both American crime shows and they're the first two big hitters of the Golden Age.

The Sopranos is deeply focused on character, and the heritability of character. The Catholic faith and culture of most of the characters has a big effect on how the themes of guilt, death, redemption are presented. There are what, three or four episodes that are mostly dream sequences, a few other implications of life beyond ordinary reality, magical or divine. The focus on character and theme means that plot isn't as important really, there's certainly a repetitive thing of bringing in a big disruptive threat and then killing them almost out of nowhere, and I remember seeing a few plot-holes last watch.

The Wire is focussed on place, procedure and "issues" rather than themes or character and is deeply committed to realism, iirc there's maybe one scene with non- diegetic music even, let alone a dream sequence. In The Sopranos, weak people make bad choices with bad consequences; in The Wire, even the strongest have very little power but the bad things happen anyway. They're all trapped from the first episode. Families, in the normal sense, barely exist in it.

The two shows were germinated in their respective David's experience; one from years as a regional journalist in a city practically at civil war, the other from years in therapy after a monstrous mother.

It's not to say the characters in The Wire or the plotting in The Sopranos was poor, far from it. But judging which one is "better" has always seemed odd to me. It's like which is objectively better, hats or skirts? Chocolate or strawberry? It's going to come down to preference and context like.

Good post.
    Just on the producer and his mother.

The first two seasons of the Sopranos featured Livia heavily. And she was an amazing character. Hilarious and monstrous in equal measure. "It's all a big nothin'" still gives me chills. I really loved Tony's scenes with her and his struggling to reconcile his relationship with her in therapy.

His anger at Melfi when she dared question whether she was a good mother. Those scenes are amazing imho.

It was such a pity then when the actress passed away. I really wonder what they could've done with that. To see Tony gaining some real insight into why he is the way he is maybe.

Anyway, love the show.
    Just wondering if anyone felt the same about this aspect of the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

When Phil complains to Tony that Fat Dom has disappeared and was last seen in Jersey

"So was the Hindenberg, maybe ya wanna look into dat too!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Assemblyman Zellman to Tony "The heart wants what the heart wants"

T -"The heart wants what the dick wants"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Bambi wrote: »
    When Phil complains to Tony that Fat Dom has disappeared and was last seen in Jersey

"So was the Hindenberg, maybe ya wanna look into dat too!"

Your brother Billy, whatever happened there.......

Chris confrontation with the striking construction workers

"What you want muddafcuka?"
    "What? You want me to fcuk your mother?"

"Mine is the last face you'll see before they scrape your nipples off this fine Italian leather"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Carmine Lupertazzi on therapy: "There's no stigmata over these things anymore."

He wasn't in it a lot, but there's a lot of quotables.

Hammer89 wrote: »

It even outshone Ver-sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

"We are standing at the crossroads. Of an enormous precipice..."

[Tony, confused face :D ]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

"A pint of blood costs more than a gallon of gold"

Everyone in the room looked confused at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

“My guy said one of those goofballs had on a uniform from, um....buttf*cks. The coffee place down the street...whatever"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Riddle101 wrote: »
    "A pint of blood costs more than a gallon of gold"

Everyone in the room looked confused at that.

Thought that was very profound stuff from Carmine Jr myself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Started watching it again from the start last night.

Tony goes to see Livia with a bunch of flowers and is greeted at the door by the new home help from Trinidad. She's comes across as a lovely woman.

Tony whispers to her 'Listen, let's get one thing straight. In the hours you're here taking care of my mother, no ganja. OK?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

There's no scraps in my scrapbook!

Richie - we came up with a name, a dealer named quickie g.

Sil - He's been in the bing a few times. Or it might've been this other prick, fast fatty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

Season 1 Episode 2.

Christopher and Brenden were warned not to rob trucks on Junior's routes.

In one of the first dark but hilarious scenes Brenden robs one anyway. A gun falls out of the lap of one of the robbers and hits the gorund and goes off.

Everyone gets a huge shock but are seemingly fine and then the driver falls forward, dead.

When Christopher is explaining it to Tony.

Christopher: "And, uh the driver…you know…I dunno…he caught some friendly fire or something…”

• Advertisement

tinpib wrote: »
    Season 1 Episode 2.

Christopher and Brenden were warned not to rob trucks on Junior's routes.

In one of the first dark but hilarious scenes Brenden robs one anyway. A gun falls out of the lap of one of the robbers and hits the gorund and goes off.

Everyone gets a huge shock but are seemingly fine and then the driver falls forward, dead.

When Christopher is explaining it to Tony.

Christopher: "And, uh the driver…you know…I dunno…he caught some friendly fire or something…”

When Christopher asks Tony what he should do about the driver, "You can try say a prayer to Saint Anthony, poke him with a stick but I think you're ****ed"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

16 page thread and nobody mentions this scene? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thargor wrote: »

It was.....

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Thargor wrote: »

The entire transcript was posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinnerboy0

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but when the dementia is taking hold of junior and he sees curb on the TV and thinks Larry is him and Jeff is Bobby. Laughed so hard at that when I first saw it.

The entire transcript was posted.

I never thought that scene was funny, it just illustrated, yet again, that Ralph was both a c**t and a liability.

Advertisement