Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sopranos best jokes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

CWF wrote: »
    I love the sopranos don't get me wrong, top ten of all time. But do you not find it a bit repetitive from season to season? Same kind of storyline and plot but just with a different character getting whacked, usually the annoying one of that season

Yeah I'd agree with some of that. Richie joins the cast, dead at the end of the season. Ralphie, dead after a season and half I think, Steve Buscemi joins, he dies at the end of season 5, same with Philly.

The story of the Wire was definitely more riveting and addictive (anything can happen in that world, there was very little code of honour), but the Sopranos had a style and humour that I love. I loved the subtle scenes, the witty lines and banter, and things like the relationship between Junior and Tony. I remember bawling my eyes out at that scene where Junior is getting dementia, and is getting frustrated, and had been picking on Tony, and Tony sits beside him on the couch, and says "Don't you love me" and Junior can't express himself. ****, that was a knockout scene. Also that huge fight Tony had with Carmela when she told him she loved Furio...I have had many ups and downs in my own marriage and that whole scene was so realistic. Incredible acting by both. I view most actors as spoofers, but when you see acting like that, you just are in awe at the talent on show.

Maybe too I see a bit of myself in Tony, a guy who feels trapped by circumstance and thinks he is better than everyone around him, but is actually worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

CWF wrote: »
    I love the sopranos don't get me wrong, top ten of all time. But do you not find it a bit repetitive from season to season? Same kind of storyline and plot but just with a different character getting whacked, usually the annoying one of that season

It was repetitive in terms of plot, but the acting in general and the focus around Tony Soprano was so good it never bothered me.

Also it adds to the show in its own way. The Sopranos goes out of its way to cut out the glamour or sophistication of a lot of gangster/mobster films (say The Godfather) by making them look more normal/mundane/day to day. It was way more believable as a result. The Godfather trilogy was great, but for me it felt really showy and cinematic for the sake of cinematic in parts. The Sopranos didn't, with the exception of a couple of bits.

I loved their obsession with The Godfather films, yet all they were in reality were not sophisticated Michael Corleone escape to some degree cùnts, but a bunch of fat, middle aged, mentally ill sociopaths who are doomed to an end in prison or being shot to pieces.

Back to quotes: he's a goddam hothouse flower, that's his problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

The Office has nothing on how fùcking funny and awkward that scene is.

Janice was the most despicable character in the Sopranos. I loathed her as much as Tony did :pac: No redeeming features whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

munster87 wrote: »
    Not a joke either but my funniest scene was when Paulie couldn’t hear Tony properly on the phone telling him about the Russian that they had to kill and then says to Christopher “You’re not gonna believe this, he killed 16 Czechoslovakians, guy was an interior decorator" and Christopher replies “his house looked like ****”.

That scene was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I hear Ginny Sack had a 90 pound mole removed from her ass.

That didn't end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Janice was the most despicable character in the Sopranos. I loathed her as much as Tony did :pac: No redeeming features whatsoever.

the actress who played her gave a criminally underrated performance, the fact that she really made you hate Janice is proof of how good a job she did. i have a sister similar to her and just watching her made my blood boil.

anyway, some more good jokes:

Beansie: (lying in the bed paralysed, his nose is running so Tony wipes it with a tissue) I can hardly wipe my own ass!
    Tony: Well the nose is as far as I'm willing to go.

Chris: (riding in the car with Tony fresh out of rehab) The only step I haven't done is the one where you make amends to people you f'd over when you were using.
    Tony: Maybe you should skip that one. You know, let sleeping dogs lie?
    Chris: Yeah I ws thinking maybe just sending some flowers. Or cash, in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Paulie was class

Hey Shaggy grab a bucket and lycol and scrub off my tyres . .. you'll be picking up your teeth in a second ... Gooooo before it sets in the trheads . ....

There he is EhhEhh (the Paulie laugh) . - Why didn't you tell me you were dating my niece :-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3d_mqQzsxE

Paulie :-Did I do something wrong?
    Tony :- Sunday, my house, a box of Malomars on the counter, ****ing empty, you think I don't know it was you ?

Paulies face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Orzf66f4A

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Long time reader, first time poster. Sopranos has so many funny lines and characters but Paulie had to be the funniest. "I don't wanna smell ya piss" from Pine Barrens is up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Riddle101

"He's a degenerate gambler"

That quote has become something of a running gag among my friends. Usually when someone loses in the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Wire takes the number one spot for me. The whole show is a single story, majestically crafted and woven together. Season 5 did dip a tad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭tinpib

the actress who played her gave a criminally underrated performance, the fact that she really made you hate Janice is proof of how good a job she did. i have a sister similar to her and just watching her made my blood boil.

Completely agree, she was underrated and brilliant.

Also love how often Tony explodes in anger due to some innocuous thing Janice does. :pac:

Aída Turturro was nominated twice for the Best Supporting Actress Emmy. Don't think she was underrated at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj6E7Z1dNv8

One of the greatest scenes ever, in any show or movie, especially 2:28 onwards. Plus it features one of Carmela's best lines "who knew all this time you wanted Treacy and Hepburn"! :pac:

The Wire takes the number one spot for me. The whole show is a single story, majestically crafted and woven together. Season 5 did dip a tad though.

Funny you should mention The Wire as i'm binge watching the whole series again. Truly a masterpiece of a show.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Season 1 was the best, followed by season 5 IMO. Season 5 really displayed the futility of it all.

The Wire miles better than any tv show ever made, except The Sopranos. I’ve watched the Sopranos through about 7 times now, it actually gets better on each watch.

I particularly enjoyed Ginny Sacs brother on the last watch. Trying to talk like a gangster:

“The coffee with the chicory”

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

"you know Quasimodo predicted this"!!!!!

Brian? wrote: »

Season 1 was the best, followed by season 5 IMO. Season 5 really displayed the futility of it all.

The Wire miles better than any tv show ever made, except The Sopranos. I’ve watched the Sopranos through about 7 times now, it actually gets better on each watch.

I particularly enjoyed Ginny Sacs brother on the last watch. Trying to talk like a gangster:

“The coffee with the chicory”

Season 4 by a mile with the kids and Chris/Snoop being the most terrifying duo ever seen on TV.

Sopranos right up there too obviously.

I'd go season 3 and 4 of the Wire; I nearly lost patience with it during season 2; f*cking Sobotkas!

• Advertisement

Season 1 and Season 3 of The Wire for me. Always loved it when Avon Barksdale was in the picture. Sad that we never got to see any real talking scenes between Avon and Omar apart from that scene where Omar tries to take out Avon. Those two talking would have been something to see I think.

In any case back to the topic. The scene when Paulie makes Chris strip naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

buried wrote: »
    Another dark funny bit when Tony kills yer man in the kitchen, and he calls on Christopher, the drug addled junkie, to help dispose the body and clean up the scene. When Chris arrives to the house and sees the body, Tony is claiming to Chris he didn't murder yer man on the ground and Chris completely high off his nyyuck claiming that he actually isn't high

Tony - "The f**k is wrong with you?"

Chris - "Nuthhhn"

Tony - "Don't lie to me........You're high."

Chris - "I sssmoked -alf a joint before you callled....I'm fine......"

Tony - "Look at you, your nose is running you f**kin Junkie.....YOU PROMISED ME YOU WUDNT DO THAT $HIT NO MORE"

Chris - " I Didddd-anntttt" (Nearly falls over)

Tony - "JESUS F**KIN CHRIST.....CAN YOU EVEN DO THIS????"

Then they discover yer mans wig while trying to decapitate his head. lol. ahh man, brilliant stuff

Gonna lecture me now? You ****ing drug addict

Gandolfini was just so good. Could have me in stitches through angry outbursts alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Brian? wrote: »
    The Wire miles better than any tv show ever made
    I think the wire is in the top 5 tv shows ever made and 100 times better than the overratted sopranos. Game of thrones is the best written show in existence and has far more depth, complexity and epic scale than any other show. Breaking bad is the only show that can match GOT for surprises and complex characterisation. The wire is the most accurate and realistic show ever made, it will never be matched in accuracy and How true to life it is.. The wire though is only 8.5/10 in terms of exciting to watch, it doesn't have any holy F*** moments which GOT and bbad are famous for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

Greyfox wrote: »
    The wire though is only 8.5/10 in terms of exciting to watch, it doesn't have any holy F*** moments which GOT and bbad are famous for

I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head, all spoilers so I won't mention any but the wire was well able to do shock moments. It also had fantastic humour, most of it very dark but very funny in an almost shocking way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

.red. wrote: »
    I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head, all spoilers so I won't mention any but the wire was well able to do shock moments. It also had fantastic humour, most of it very dark but very funny in an almost shocking way.
    There were a few surprising deaths in fairness but nothing that made everyone in the room shout at the tv screen like GOT. I guess what I'm saying is the wire went strictly for realism and the way it would happen in real life.. I think this made it the amazing and unforgettable show that it was, it's just that some people are so use to the jazzed up shootouts and riddiculous twists of other poorer shows it took a bit of getting use too.. The wire did have quite a few memerable characters, of course I loved omar and stringer bell.. and awh Bubbles

Greyfox wrote: »
    .red. wrote: »
    this made it the amazing and unforgettable show that it was, it's just that some people are so use to the jazzed up shootouts and riddiculous twists of other poorer shows it took a bit of getting use too
    Reminds me of the Lisa's Rival episode of the Simpsons - "here's a ball. Perhaps you'd like to bounce it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

T and Chris in the basement when Chris calls Jackie Junior "Little Lord F*ckpants" with the FBI guys listening in via the bug in the lamp. One asks the other "Little Lord F*kpants - that a sobriquet??"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Shrink: “What line of work are you in?”
    Tony Soprano: “Waste management consultant.”

"Environmental clean up"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

People only compare The Wire and The Sopranos because they're both American crime shows and they're the first two big hitters of the Golden Age.

The Sopranos is deeply focused on character, and the heritability of character. The Catholic faith and culture of most of the characters has a big effect on how the themes of guilt, death, redemption are presented. There are what, three or four episodes that are mostly dream sequences, a few other implications of life beyond ordinary reality, magical or divine. The focus on character and theme means that plot isn't as important really, there's certainly a repetitive thing of bringing in a big disruptive threat and then killing them almost out of nowhere, and I remember seeing a few plot-holes last watch.

The Wire is focussed on place, procedure and "issues" rather than themes or character and is deeply committed to realism, iirc there's maybe one scene with non- diegetic music even, let alone a dream sequence. In The Sopranos, weak people make bad choices with bad consequences; in The Wire, even the strongest have very little power but the bad things happen anyway. They're all trapped from the first episode. Families, in the normal sense, barely exist in it.

The two shows were germinated in their respective David's experience; one from years as a regional journalist in a city practically at civil war, the other from years in therapy after a monstrous mother.

It's not to say the characters in The Wire or the plotting in The Sopranos was poor, far from it. But judging which one is "better" has always seemed odd to me. It's like which is objectively better, hats or skirts? Chocolate or strawberry? It's going to come down to preference and context like.

Advertisement