Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Overheal wrote: »
    They don’t have bike reflectors on them?

Good picture here.

https://electric.travel/electric-scooters/xiaomi-mi-365-electric-scooter-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Seems apropos to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

beauf wrote: »
    See them all over. Phoenix park at night no lights, back country roads no lights. City all over. They think that toy light on the rear is enough. It isn't.

I see the same with bicycles. Scooters aren't the problem, its the riders that choose to ignore common sense.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    I see the same with bicycles. Scooters aren't the problem, its the riders that choose to ignore common sense.

It's a legal requirement for bicycles. Hardly ever enforced.

Anyway my point is if people think the inbuilt little light on the back is good enough. It definitely isn't.

• Advertisement

It's a legal requirement for bicycles. Hardly ever enforced.

Anyway my point is if people think the inbuilt little light on the back is good enough. It definitely isn't.

It is street legal though in the vast majority of cases. Just can't go screaming around country bends at night.

Lol Street legal...

Lol Street legal...

Welp, the reflector is. It can be applied to a bicycle.

My point is its a pin prick of light way out of the line of sight and invisible if you have to see it against on coming headlights.
    Everytime I've encountered one of these scooters, at night on an unlit road, against traffic its been almost impossible to see.
    Yes just like cyclists who do the same thing. But I suspect many scooter riders haven't experience of cycling on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

Anyone who picked up the Kugoo S1 have an update? Are you happy with it so far? I'm really thinking of picking one up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Hit the the 1k KM mark yesterday....

cvlkrtl.jpg?1

SteM wrote: »
    Anyone who picked up the Kugoo S1 have an update? Are you happy with it so far? I'm really thinking of picking one up soon.

That scooter looks almost identical to my Zoom Stryder except for half the price!

And my Zoom was worth the money so the Kugoo definitely is IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's has a tiny back light. Very low to the ground. On dark road against oncoming traffic they are invisible from behind.

Get a helmet with a built in back light... At least its at the right height... 😀

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

I was cycling in traffic from Fleet Street through the bottom of D'Oiler Street onto Townsend Street this morning, we had the lights. I saw a lad on a scooter coming out from Hawkins Street, where the Luas comes from, through a red light and he couldn't seem to stop the scooter (or didn't realise until the last second that he was going to break a read light and go out into heavy traffic). The look of panic on his face as he jumped off it and tried to grab it as it went into traffic was scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I was cycling in traffic from Fleet Street through the bottom of D'Oiler Street onto Townsend Street this morning, we had the lights. I saw a lad on a scooter coming out from Hawkins Street, where the Luas comes from, through a red light and he couldn't seem to stop the scooter (or didn't realise until the last second that he was going to break a read light and go out into heavy traffic). The look of panic on his face as he jumped off it and tried to grab it as it went into traffic was scary.

To be honest, that's more or less the same with a bicycle... (If you havent really ridden one before),
    I kinda wish most people riding a bike had to do a half day training course before they were unleashed on busy city streets.. Just things like road position, signals, safety, and how to not cycle like a tit...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Using mine daily. No issues at all with it. I upgraded the rear wheel to a pnuematic tyre and made a massive difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Big improvements on an electric scooter would be:

(1) Bigger back light. The back lights are pathetic. The entire mudguard should be a back light. Would be a lot safer.

(2) Side repeaters. Put these on the handle bars with ergonomic spring switch.

(3) Manual cruise control. On the M365, you have to maintain the same speed for a number of seconds before c/c kicks in. This makes it much harder to signal right (because the throttle is on the right and needs to be held down).

(3) Twist throttle. Miles better than the thumb throttles they use.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Watch out... Garda crack down underway it seems

https://m.facebook.com/groups/328007928040192/permalink/375551593285825/

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Looks like there is a craic down at moment in Dublin city center on these hearing lots of reports of gaurds taking them even the variety than need a kick start to begin.

I think they are great, I don't have one my self but was thinking of purchasing a xiaomi 365 or k1 but with this recent news I think I will have to hold off. I dont fancy the headache of getting one confiscated after spending a few 100 quid on one.

I'm actually in Thailand on holiday at moment and have seen scooters left all over main citys which can be used on a pay as you go basis and you unlock through a app. This service is also common in European city's as far as I know.

Typical of Ireland to be years behind the rest of world on things like this. Hopefully we get some solid news on this soon

site_owner wrote: »

Link doesn’t work. Requires log in.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    Link doesn’t work. Requires log in.

Basically someone with Electric Scooter Kugoo S1 riding in a cycle lane stopped by Garda and scooter seized. €125 release fine. Something about tax and insurance also but unclear. Claim mono wheel (unicycle) stopped also.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've gone passed Gardai on mine and hasn't been an issue (without jinxing it). But in fairness, I normally throw my foot down and scoot along if going passed people, as it's safer. Straight down the canal off the road, I'll scoot straight along. Going passed people etc I'll slow down and scoot my foot along.

Also, I will say that always take these stories with a pinch of salt. Messing about and going through lights will 100% get the attention of the Gardai.

In the story they also say they pulled someone over who was riding a unicycle. I've never seen a unicycle on the roads!

antodeco wrote: »

In the story they also say they pulled someone over who was riding a unicycle. I've never seen a unicycle on the roads!

I think they meant electric Mono Wheel/Unicycle. I've seen a few of them in city center. Fairly rapid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STxpbFtIAHI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VDuW8MnRkA

site_owner wrote: »

The guy from goosed.ie made it clearer saying "He was stopped by a Garda when riding in a bicycle lane on the Templeogue Road, near the Terenure Library. The Garda had parked his motorbike in the bicycle lane and had already stopped a rider of an electric unicycle.".

Full article here

I am guilty of not wearing a helmet myself, but then cyclists are not required to either, so I disagree with the authors view on grounds for seizures (not wearing PPE).

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I disagree with the premise that pushing to start is a reason the device cannot be classed as an MPV.

Are there, or were there, any other vehicles that required manual intervention to start, but yet are/were classed as MPVs?

What about a real light scooter or such, with a kick start and no electric start?
    Should they not both be under the same regulation?

I disagree with the premise that pushing to start is a reason the device cannot be classed as an MPV.

Are there, or were there, any other vehicles that required manual intervention to start, but yet are/were classed as MPVs?

What about a real light scooter or such, with a kick start and no electric start?
    Should they not both be under the same regulation?

The difference between an e-scooter and a scooter/bike with a kick start is the former needs to achieve a minimum speed by manual propulsion before the motor will engage.

As this thread has shown, there are polar views on the subject. What we urgently need is clarification.

The interesting thing is that of all the seizures I am aware of, it has always been a Garda on a motorbike.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The difference between an e-scooter and a scooter/bike with a kick start is the former needs to achieve a minimum speed by manual propulsion before the motor will engage.

Yes, about walking pace.
    Scooters/bikes can be started in that manner also ...... so a scooter without a kick start would comply as well as an e-scooter?

The difficulty in clarification is that it is as likely to warrant MPV classification as not, which would effectively ban them.

What is required is a real
    As this thread has shown, there are polar views on the subject. What we urgently need is clarification.

The interesting thing is that of all the seizures I am aware of, it has always been a Garda on a motorbike.

Yes, about walking pace.
    Scooters/bikes can be started in that manner also ...... so a scooter without a kick start would comply as well as an e-scooter?
    l

No.

Cars can also be started with a push, but unless there is a mechanical fault, the engine keeps running and the car can move off again under the power of the engine alone. This is not the case with the majority of e-scooters. Once you come to a stop, you need to manually push off before the motor will engage. If you were able to get moving again after coming to a stop, it would be an mpv under the current definition.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

https://news.escoot.ie/stopped-by-garda-on-my-m365/

Garda stops M365 and acknowledges its not an MPV after closer inspection.

• Advertisement

No.

Cars can also be started with a push, but unless there is a mechanical fault, the engine keeps running and the car can move off again under the power of the engine alone. This is not the case with the majority of e-scooters. Once you come to a stop, you need to manually push off before the motor will engage. If you were able to get moving again after coming to a stop, it would be an mpv under the current definition.

You mean the way a car need you to push the accelerator to get a car moving, or put it into gear using a clutch. It won't move on its own. So its not a MPV either. The engine will stop if it has stop start. Same with electric cars. Same with petrol powered bicycles or non Pedelac eBikes.

Only scooters are different. Makes perfect sense....not.

Advertisement