Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

beauf wrote: »
    Can you link or quote the statute that makes that legal. What do you mean by legal.

What I should have said is its not illegal. The laws only cover "mechanical propulsion" .

A jet is a reaction engine not a mechanical one and there is no mechanical transmission from the engine to the wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I assume it doesn't fall under any class of vehicle. So it can't be taxed or insured for road use. Like the scooters they aren't illegal. They just aren't legal on the road or the path. Is that what you mean?

Still like to see the statute you're referring too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I assume it doesn't fall under any class of vehicle. So it can't be taxed or insured for road use. Like the scooters they aren't illegal. They just aren't legal on the road or the path. Is that what you mean?

Still like to see the statute you're referring too.

There is no statute regarding direct jet powered cycles. Thats the point. The definition of MPV does not mention jets or turbines and by definition a direct jet is not mechanical propulsion. (A jet turbine linked to a gearbox WOULD be a MPV).

There is nothing in law to say that you can't take a jet powered cycle on the road. Its just a cycle as far as the law is concerned.

They could do you for noise pollution though!

Edit - RTA 1961 "
    “pedal bicycle” means a bicycle which is intended or adapted for propulsion solely by the physical exertions of a person or persons seated thereon; "

So a cycle stops being a cycle when you remove the physical element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Sorry don't want to drag this thread off topic but if someone is thinking of strapping a jet engine to their bike then this site will be useful for you.

https://maddoxjets.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Why is the subject of legality still being discussed? Did it not end after the first 3 pages?

Back on the topic of actual scooters:

If anyone is looking for a solid wheel replacement for their M365 I have pair of these new from Amazon that are surplus to requirements.

bVoF4pL.jpg

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    Why is the subject of legality still being discussed? Did it not end after the first 3 pages?...

People don't do their homework apparently. Didn't really matter considering the lack of enforcement of more common vehicles.

Has anyone changed Tyres tubes and fixed punctures on them yet. Is it easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

marcosmb25 wrote: »
    Hello guys, I also have this scooter(xiaomi mi365).

Unfortunately due to a glass on the bike lane, I have a flat wheel to repair.

I took it to Freeman Repair Service close to Fitzwilliam in Dublin, but the guy wasnt able to change the tub.

Any idea where to take it for reparation? I have a new tube and the tools to fix it, but not to inflate the wheel or the skill to do it :)

You should try

Bee cycles

Dublin 8, 380 S Circular Rd, Dublin 8, D08 E0X7
    086 889 5487 https://g.co/kgs/dnKeUp

Apparently the guy is a bit of a bike whisperer and can fix anything. I've never dealt with him though so can't comment. Sorry about the weird link, I'm on mobile. Alternatively you can try some slime stuff that seals the puncture. I put some in mine preemptively yesterday. Hoping I didn't damage the valves in the tyre though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Why is the subject of legality still being discussed? Did it not end after the first 3 pages?

Expect every 3-4 weeks someone else will ask a question and the same old conversation will start....it will be the same answers...it is grey area, nobody really know...someone will spend far too much time on google trying to prove they are right....after another page of posts it will die off and we can discuss the actually scooter.....then 3-4 weeks later same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6 judavigo

I contacted Three asking for an "official" position and they replied:

"Hi there 👋 The Road Safety Authority (RSA) considers that an electric scooter may be a mechanically propelled vehicle which if in a public place is subject to all of the regulatory controls applying to other vehicles which include that it be roadworthy, registered, taxed and insured. A user of an electric scooter must hold an appropriate driving licence and a crash helmet. It is illegal for a person under the age of 16 to use a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place. You are advised to consult the following for further information regarding electric scooters"
    Also....
    "The scooter will need to be insured. We don't offer insurance for mechanically propelled used vehicles but you can get this from a 3rd party."

judavigo wrote: »
    I contacted Three asking for an "official" position and they replied:

"Hi there 👋 The Road Safety Authority (RSA) considers that an electric scooter may be a mechanically propelled vehicle which if in a public place is subject to all of the regulatory controls applying to other vehicles which include that it be roadworthy, registered, taxed and insured. A user of an electric scooter must hold an appropriate driving licence and a crash helmet. It is illegal for a person under the age of 16 to use a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place. You are advised to consult the following for further information regarding electric scooters"
    Also....
    "The scooter will need to be insured. We don't offer insurance for mechanically propelled used vehicles but you can get this from a 3rd party."

I’m confused. So they are saying it needs to be taxed and insured? And yet they don’t indicate where you can get it insured?

• Advertisement

I’m confused. So they are saying it needs to be taxed and insured? And yet they don’t indicate where you can get it insured?

They haven't a fecking clue....but instead of guess and saying no....they guess and say yes....nobody can pull them up for saying to buy insurance, someone can pull them up for saying not to buy insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Inability to make it legal does not mean it is not illegal.

That's right. So I suppose when we saw the first real cases of people being finned they will say that they are selling the scooters to be used in private areas, not in the streets.

I was hoping that they had something clear if they are taking the risk of selling these but they will also play in the grey area :/

Also they provided the same reply on boards.ie ttfthread 2057925905 ...

judavigo wrote: »
    That's right. So I suppose when we saw the first real cases of people being finned they will say that they are selling the scooters to be used in private areas, not in the streets.

I was hoping that they had something clear if they are taking the risk of selling these but they will also play in the grey area :/

If you buy a car does the dealer ask you to show you insurance before you drive down the road??

You can buy it but you just can't use it legally on the road. Or the pavement. Bit like a mini Moto. Will it be an issue? Probably not.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They haven't a fecking clue....but instead of guess and saying no....they guess and say yes....nobody can pull them up for saying to buy insurance, someone can pull them up for saying not to buy insurance

Its not a guess. They are correct. They are just repeating the current legal situation. Its legal to sell and buy. How someone uses it isnt a Three problem.

...Has anyone changed Tyres tubes and fixed punctures on them yet. Is it easy to do.

Still wondering had anyone done this.

Is it a DIY job ...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

The tyre changing issue is the main reason am switching towards the es2 ninebot ðŸ˜ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

The tyre changing issue is the main reason am switching towards the es2 ninebot ðŸ˜ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

Its not a guess. They are correct. They are just repeating the current legal situation. Its legal to sell and buy. How someone uses it isnt a Three problem.

It is a guess and we have already discussed.

You are correct it has nothing to do with Three after they sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If you buy a car does the dealer ask you to show you insurance before you drive down the road??

Well you sign a declaration confirming you have insurance in place.

peaceboi wrote: »

Do you reckon the suspension feel will be much different. Have you tried both.

It is a guess and we have already discussed.

You are correct it has nothing to do with Three after they sell it

Considering how some people here find it complicated (which it isn't) and they managed to say exactly the right thing legally. Then it's a very accurate guessing. coincidentally almost as if they had done their homework and got legal advice on it.

Had anyone worked out a way to securely lock their scooters. They don't seem to have any place you can run a lock though. Be nice to be able to lock them to something in the office or shed.

peaceboi wrote: »

Or you could replace them with solid rubber equivalents. I have a brand new pair still in the box (posted on the previous page here). Listed them here before I go through the hassle of returning to Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Had anyone worked out a way to securely lock their scooters. They don't seem to have any place you can run a lock though. Be nice to be able to lock them to something in the office or shed.

This is what I use to secure. I have only secured it in car park and gym (pictured) as such, and wouldnt really leave it secured like this out on a street for too long.

lpwKgRe

Have seen others using cable locks as well, with scooter folded and tying the cable through read tire and over handlebars.

That looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

What’s is the official Three price. How does it compare to buying online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What’s is the official Three price. How does it compare to buying online?

449, it's the uk version so you get the extra bits in the box, also the warranty would be a major advantage of buying it from them.

Advertisement