Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Anyone else come across this site - https://mi-scooter.net/ ? Popped up as an ad on Instagram.

Seems way too good to be true. €142.46 for the M365.

Their address seems to be a residential property in the UK. :)

It seems to be Shopify
    ping mi-scooter.net
    PING mi-scooter.net (23.227.38.32) 56(84) bytes of data

whois 23.227.38.32

NetRange:       23.227.32.0 - 23.227.63.255
    CIDR:           23.227.32.0/19
    NetName:        SHOPIFY-NET
    NetHandle:      NET-23-227-32-0-1
    Parent:         NET23 (NET-23-0-0-0-0)
    NetType:        Direct Assignment
    OriginAS:       AS62679
    Organization:   Shopify, Inc. (SHOPI-1)
    RegDate:        2013-09-19
    Updated:        2013-09-19
    Ref:            https://rdap.arin.net/registry/ip/23.227.32.0

OrgName:        Shopify, Inc.
    OrgId:          SHOPI-1
    Address:        150 Elgin Street, 8th Floor
    City:           Ottawa
    StateProv:      ON
    PostalCode:     K2P 1L4
    RegDate:        2013-07-09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Anyone else come across this site - https://mi-scooter.net/ ? Popped up as an ad on Instagram.

Seems way too good to be true. €142.46 for the M365.

Their address seems to be a residential property in the UK. :)

I would guess it popped up on facebook. I got something similar this morning only I had 30 mins left to order my one completely free, now it wasn't a M365 but was similar spec and looked like one from the video.....

The old sayings are still the best
    "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck"

• Registered Users Posts: 65,089 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I don't know if that link is genuine, but am I the only one who thinks €400-€500 for one of these scooters is outrageous money? Just a quarter of a kWh and a pathetic range of 30km?

You'd buy a proper full size "Vespa" type scooter with several times that capacity and several times that range for about €250 in China itself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

unkel wrote: »
    You'd buy a proper full size "Vespa" type scooter with several times that capacity and several times that range for about €250 in China itself...

Plus 300 or more for an IBT + all the cost of getting the correct permit and don't forget the cost of insurance and fuel and maintenance.

Doesn't look overpriced compared to the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's no way that's legit. You can't get them landed in Ireland for anything near that kind of money.

• Advertisement

I don't know if that link is genuine, but am I the only one who thinks €400-€500 for one of these scooters is outrageous money? Just a quarter of a kWh and a pathetic range of 30km?

Your just getting old and cranky :P:P:P:P:P

All joking aside the all seem to be in the 400+ range....

I know of a guy who has quit his job and starting to import these and the unicycle things.....so must be money in them.....

What's the situation with scooting home from the pub if you stay on the footpaths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do you have an example?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭eagerv

My son is looking for a scooter for Christmas, similar price, but without a motor or battery:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

I don't mean to drag this thread off Topic but before I got my current petrol powered scooter a Suzuki an125 I did consider getting a Chinese bike I think you can buy them online and have them shipped. One thing I discovered is although they may claim to be 125cc they only put out around 5 kW to put that in comparison my bike a 125cc puts out according to Suzuki just under 10 kw.

Sorry I don't know what point I was trying to make just want to make people aware if anyone reads this and considers getting a Chinese scooter.

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »
    My son is looking for a scooter for Christmas, similar price, but without a motor or battery:pac:

For my 1 year old the Scooter is about that price alright :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Unless it can do Cork to Dublin without recharge, it is rubbish!

grogi wrote: »

Quote of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 65,089 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And a year later they need it to go Cork to Dublin and back. And then when you tell them the newer ones actually can, they tell you they need at least 800km on a charge :D

And a year later they need it to go Cork to Dublin and back. And then when you tell them the newer ones actually can, they tell you they need at least 800km on a charge :D

After the Cork to Dublin it moves to Belfast to Dublin :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Would you seriously not just spend the money on a decent bicycle instead of one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thargor wrote: »
    Would you seriously not just spend the money on a decent bicycle instead of one of these?

Did you not read the basis for the choice? ;)
    goz83 wrote:
    I just don't like cycling. I find it very uncomfortable to sit on a bicycle since my back injury. Maybe in time that will change. I considered an e-scooter, but the cost, plus tax, insurance etc made it a non-runner.

Because bicycles, even the foldable ones, are much bigger than a m365. You cannot just pop it out of the trunk and be ready to go.

Yeah I know but the OP posted that back in May and hasn't been back for 3 months, this is the general e-scooter thread now with lots of people buying them. I just find it a bit baffling, a bike destroys an e-scooter in basically every metric, most importantly speed and range, not to mention the fact that these will be going in a skip fairly soon after purchase if used for a commute every day due to battery degradation, the bike will last a decade or longer easily. Plus the exercise factor...

Because bicycles, even the foldable ones, are much bigger than a m365. You cannot just pop it out of the trunk and be ready to go.
    Yeah I suppose, then again if you're using it every day you could just put a bike carrier on the car. Theres very few car boots that cant take a folding bike anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know but the OP posted that back in May and hasn't been back for 3 months, this is the general e-scooter thread now with lots of people buying them. I just find it a bit baffling, a bike destroys an e-scooter in basically every metric, most importantly speed and range, not to mention the fact that these will be going in a skip fairly soon after purchase if used for a commute every day due to battery degradation, the bike will last a decade or longer easily. Plus the exercise factor...

What do you mean by 'range'? Both have same range - as far as the rider will scoot/peddal.
    Yeah I suppose, then again if you're using it every day you could just put a bike carrier on the car. Theres very few car boots that cant take a folding bike anyway.

Or buy an RV and sleep 100 meters from the office?

You can mod and upgrade the battery this isn't the usual junk your thinking of. It'll be around a while. Comes with some spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

What's the situation with scooting home from the pub if you stay on the footpaths?

There was a lad from Tuam spotted by the local Sergeant a number of years ago driving a Honda 50 slowly towards him on the footpath. The Garda signalled him a few times to get off the footpath but he ignored the repeated warnings.

When he finally arrived to where the Garda sergeant was waiting, the sergeant asked him why he didn't comply and get off the footpath.

His reply: "Sure I have to drive on the footpath - Judge Garavan put me off the road last week!"

What do you mean by 'range'? Both have same range - as far as the rider will scoot/peddal.
    What? A bicycle will destroy a scooter in range if you're any way healthy, Im not even that fit and I just did a 70km loop around the Wicklow Mountains and the Sally Gap this morning, would you do that on an e-scooter?

People can spend their money how they want and anything is better than driving another empty car into town every morning but I genuinely cant see any advantage these things have for a commuter over a bog standard bicycle, especially a €400-500 one. I have a mountain bike that I leave locked at Bray DART station that I bought on Adverts for €20 for locking in town instead of my good roadbike and Id take that over an e-scooter any day of the week for a commute. I love that people are moving away from cars but It just doesn't make sense to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The bike is legal where the scooter isn't. That's one thing.

I think the bike will be heavier, especially in a jammed carriage.
    I'm struggling with the the folding bike on the train these days, the train are not designed for commuters.
    The scooters are not ideal either as they are long and not that compact.
    I've a good few people with scooters on train, but they've all been non electric ones.
    Some people put them up on the overhead luggage rack. But these are not the electric ones.

I'd guess the bike does better on rougher surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

beauf wrote: »

I'd guess the bike does better on rougher surfaces.

I reckon a bike is more stable too - I was behind a guy on an scooter going through chapelizod the other day and he was wobbling everywhere - the slightest hand movement and it was all over the place. He also couldn't give any hand signals as he pulled out to avoid potholes either. Whilst he may have been terrible on it, with wheel size etc. I can also see how hard they could be to keep in a straight line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Quick question, I bought one of these and just got delivered yesterday. When I spin the back wheel it spins maybe 3/4 of the way and then stops. It looks like the steel brake wheel is touching off the brake. If I push it then it kind of makes a rubbing noise and then free's again and goes again

It will drive but I am not sure it should be touching the brake pad. Just checking if you haven't turned on the item. If you take it off the ground and spin the back wheel will it do a full rotation without stopping?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Quick question, I bought one of these and just got delivered yesterday. When I spin the back wheel it spins maybe 3/4 of the way and then stops. It looks like the steel brake wheel is touching off the brake. If I push it then it kind of makes a rubbing noise and then free's again and goes again

It will drive but I am not sure it should be touching the brake pad. Just checking if you haven't turned on the item. If you take it off the ground and spin the back wheel will it do a full rotation without stopping?

Thanks

This is partly deliberate with the disk brake and will probably resolve itself. I had the same issue and decided to loosen mine up. Takes about two seconds using the guide here

https://xiaomiscooter.wordpress.com/2017/05/22/adjusting-the-brake-of-your-scooter-mijia-xiaomi/

Definitely seems to run smoother

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

What? A bicycle will destroy a scooter in range if you're any way healthy, Im not even that fit and I just did a 70km loop around the Wicklow Mountains and the Sally Gap this morning, would you do that on an e-scooter?

People can spend their money how they want and anything is better than driving another empty car into town every morning but I genuinely cant see any advantage these things have for a commuter over a bog standard bicycle, especially a €400-500 one. I have a mountain bike that I leave locked at Bray DART station that I bought on Adverts for €20 for locking in town instead of my good roadbike and Id take that over an e-scooter any day of the week for a commute. I love that people are moving away from cars but It just doesn't make sense to me...

Cant speak for everyone but I use mine for commuting into work as previously when I cycled in I needed to have a shower in work after it. With the scooter I now dont need to have that shower, and so saves me time every day. I have had many people say the bike argument to me, but it works for my specific requirements. Is it a better choice over a standard bike, for most people probably not due to vast gap in costs associated. I think costs in future will go down, and reliability will go up, which should hopefully increase uptake of these. I would see it as a niche product that lies between a bike and an e-bike, both in terms of costs and practicality.

On side note I see at least 4-5 Segway or M365 scooters everyday on my commute down the canal, so is great to see more people enjoying them for their needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I have a bike and cycle in most days but still use my scooter a good bit going to work. Handy if I think I'll have to get the bus or a taxi back in the evening cause I've gone for pints or it's pissing rain. Also it's good fun and great if I'm feeling lazy, especially when it's windy or I have to go up hill

Advertisement