Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New M50 toll cameras

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

blackwhite wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's to try and reduce the people using it to travel just one or two junctions, to try and free it up a bit for those travelling most of the way around it.

Travelling from Dundrum to Tallaght, for example, the M50 is approx 5 min faster than going across through Rathfarnham. If there's a charge for using the M50, then a lot of people will take the slightly longer route.

And then that slightly longer route will become much longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    The reason the limits are set low, it for idiot drivers who can't control a car at those speeds. I've often exceeded speed limits under complete control of the motor at all times. It may be PC to say I obey the limits, but I don't. Empty M50 at 5am is safe to drive exceeding the limit, once you know what you are doing.
    Incorrect - there's very good reason for the speed limit to be at 100kmh up to the stillorgan exit. Its to do with the number of exits on the motorway and therefore a far greater number of lane changes and cars merging that a regular motorway.

On the Knocklyon to Dundrum stretch it is due to the dualation of the road.

It was all contained in a NRA (now TII) study some years back.

On the average speed cameras - the idea is to slow cars down so to avoid the sudden stops that cause the vast majority of rear end accidents, which in turn cause massive delays. They will only operate at peak times and will reduce speed to 60kmh in some conditions. If if means cars will be able to go at 60kmh at peak hours, then that will be a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CeilingFly wrote: »

On the average speed cameras - the idea is to slow cars down so to avoid the sudden stops that cause the vast majority of rear end accidents, which in turn cause massive delays. They will only operate at peak times and will reduce speed to 60kmh in some conditions. If if means cars will be able to go at 60kmh at peak hours, then that will be a great result.

Your confusing average speed cameras with variable speed limits. Average speed cameras would work in conjunction with the variable speed limits but at peak times won't be effective, as the vehicle reg will be hidden by other vehicles, so will only catch people exceeding the limit when there is no need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Del2005 wrote: »
    Your confusing average speed cameras with variable speed limits. Average speed cameras would work in conjunction with the variable speed limits but at peak times won't be effective, as the vehicle reg will be hidden by other vehicles, so will only catch people exceeding the limit when there is no need.

I'm not. They can work side by side and distance between cars does not need to be substantial. Obviously in bumber to bumber traffic no vehicles will be exceeding the average speed.

Remember, the toll cameras catch almost every vehicle even at bumber to bumber speed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Anyone know why there is a car/van parked with someone inside under the existing toll gantry on the Northbound side? From what i can see passing at all sorts of times of the day & night it is 24/7. There's someone there months at this stage. I'm not referring to a fleet of workmen during the day, just a single vehicle with a single person sitting in it. Generally it has the Mitel (sp?) logo on it but i have seen plain vehicles also.

Is it security for the gantry or an emergency technician in case the communications go down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Thats what happens when you live in a country where they gave out driving licenses without having to do a test. Clowns

That was about 40 years ago , 99% of those people are retired now and not in rush hour traffic .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

cargo wrote: »

Is it security for the gantry or an emergency technician in case the communications go down?

It's security for the gantry after the cables for the toll cameras were cut a while back. I think it will remain in place until the works are complete to secure the gantry.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/m50-toll-broken-after-man-climbed-gantry-to-cut-wires-1.3123970

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Simona1986 wrote: »
    It's security for the gantry after the cables for the toll cameras were cut a while back. I think it will remain in place until the works are complete to secure the gantry.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/m50-toll-broken-after-man-climbed-gantry-to-cut-wires-1.3123970

The company whose van it is are a facilities company, I’d of thought he’s a technician in case anything happens again. Although it looks like it’s nearly ready with new fencing etc so could be gone soon. It must be the most boring job imaginable can’t even really go for a stroll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I need to head northbound on M50 and i just said to myslef; “i’ll quickly check the traffic because it wouldn’t surprise me if some gobsh**te” has crashed.

Lo and behold, crash on the M50 2 minutes ago between Finglas and Blanchardstown, traffic back up to Sandyford.

Don’t know whether I should laugh or cry.

This is the single biggest traffic/congestion causing problem on the M50 and what they should be solving for.

Everything else is absolute bull**** and money making excersise disguised as “congestion easing” measure for gullible public who will believe it.

FD51_E91_A-_FA71-4_CF0-_AF5_E-_C2449_BE5_A2_C4.jpg

Advertisement